Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm? Empty
PostSubject: What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm?   What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 12, 2017 2:05 pm

I know some of you might've immediately screamed "Mistral what's wrong with you" after seeing the thread title, so before I say anything more let me assure you: What actually happened in Jurassic Park is great. It is my favorite film of all time and about as flawless at it gets. So what I'm about to discuss here is purely out of curiosity, and thinking about the what-if plot possibilities. Nothing more, nothing less Razz

As we know, Malcolm survives the T-Rex attack both in the film and novel (although he is pronounced death at the very end, until retconned in TLW). Gennaro dies in film, but lives in the novel. At least sort of, as the film version is combination between the novel Gennaro and Ed Regis. But in any case, in the film after the Rex attack, Malcolm doesn't do a lot more in the film. There are some comedic lines here and there, the bit where he instructs Ellie with the layout of the utility shed, and of course the fantastic reactions at the jeep when T-Rex is catching them. But all in all, his role pretty much ends half way through the film in terms of him actually being big part of it. And I think acknowledging this is where this alternative scenario of mine comes to play.

What if, instead of Malcolm surviving the T-Rex attack and Gennaro getting eaten, it had happened the other way around? So just like in the film, Malcolm would throw off his flare, and the T-Rex doesn't care and instead goes after him. But what if he actually did get slaughtered instead of hitting the toilet facility? What if the said toilet area never collapsed and Gennaro just staid there hiding? Then when Sattler and Muldoon come searching, they find the parts of Malcolm's body and start yelling for others. Gennaro steps out of the toilet, without any scratches whatsoever, and gives some excuses about what happened. You know, kind of like Ed Regis was planning to do if he had made it back to the visitor center. Muldoon would raise eyebrow, but Sattler would be too busy trying to locate Grant and the kids. So then they would find the another car just like in the film, and the T-Rex would come again just like in the film, and they would drive away just like in the film.

Fast forward to the visitor center. Gennaro is BS'ing his story to Hammond in the lounge or control room or the cafe or or wherever. But the old man isn't really listening, you know more than the lawyer's story he is actually shocked by the death of Malcolm. And he starts to understand that the guy was right. Here he has this scumbag capitalist lawyer obviously lying through his teeth completely untouched, while his advisory - who predicted it all - is gone, ripped apart. And obviously add into that the kids and Grant missing in the park as we know. He becomes miserable.

Many of us have heard parallels of Malcolm essentially being the form of Science/Evolution, while Hammond would be God/Religion. You can throw all sorts of other metaphors there as well, establishment vs anarchy and whatever. Even the color of clothes their clothes, black vs white. I think with Malcolm actually dying, and taking into considerations all the previous themes of the film, the story arcs could have gone to really interesting directions. That is, if the novel version of him lying in the bed full of morphine talking about philosophy and end of the world is too heavy of a route to take for a film.

As for Gennaro's fate, obviously he would have to get eaten somehow by the end for his "actions" to make audiences not feel betrayed. IDK, something like what happened to Burke in Aliens, if not similar to the toilet scene with T-Rex.

Anyway as I said, the film solution is still perfect. As is the novel one. I don't particularly like what they did to Malcolm in either the film TLW (where he was entirely different person altogether) or novel TLW (such clumsy retcon it was), but that's besides the point. I just wanted to bring some interesting (?) ideas to the table Smile
Back to top Go down
Océane
Océane

PostSubject: Re: What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm?   What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 12, 2017 2:21 pm

Mistral what's wrong with you?

Well it's safe to say TLW would happen quite differently, if at all.

PostSubject: Re: What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm?   What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 12, 2017 2:25 pm

Lol

You know, Spielberg probably would just have used Grant instead and made some elaborate story to match the same narrative. It's not like he really respected Crichton's TLW anyway, only taking snippets from here and there.

I don't really understand why Crichton killed Gennaro off between the novels by the way. It's like a one random line reference in TLW, so why mention it at all? It's bizarre contrast when you think about it: Malcolm dies in the first novel and Gennaro lives, while in second novel Malcolm is alive again but Gennaro dead... like in the film.
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm?   What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 12, 2017 3:05 pm

This is an interesting post, and to me shows that even seemingly incidental changes to the film adaptation of Jurassic Park did in fact have a lasting impact on the then-fledgling franchise. I think of Malcolm had died and Genarro lived only to die later on, then he would become a focus for a lot of audiences' hatred. Instead, he's kind of an effete, spineless side character who gets his comeuppance in a hilarious and memorable fashion.

Contrasting his survival to killing off the cool laid-back comic relief would have reinforced the "anyone could die" philosophy that many great thrillers can boast. But would it have made audiences less invested (and much less amused) in the process because you'd be stuck with a scummy lawyer you want to see dead even more?

What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm? Dinosa12
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm?   What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 12, 2017 3:24 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
This is an interesting post, and to me shows that even seemingly incidental changes to the film adaptation of Jurassic Park did in fact have a lasting impact on the then-fledgling franchise. I think of Malcolm had died and Genarro lived only to die later on, then he would become a focus for a lot of audiences' hatred. Instead, he's kind of an effete, spineless side character who gets his comeuppance in a hilarious and memorable fashion.

Contrasting his survival to killing off the cool laid-back comic relief would have reinforced the "anyone could die" philosophy that many great thrillers can boast. But would it have made audiences less invested (and much less amused) in the process because you'd be stuck with a scummy lawyer you want to see dead even more?

That would depend on how Gennaro was handled afterwards. Give him more BS lines, and lack of compassion for the dead, the more you'd hate him. But if they had him shaking there in rain in fear, only mumbling couple of lines, I'm not sure if the 'despise' effect would be quite as big. I mean, technically none of what happened would still be his direct fault, he'd just be spineless coward with humane faults. Sure most would hate him, but it's not like he murdered anyone. Interesting dilemma.

How about Gennaro being back at the visitor centre, going to Hammond and saying: "Are you ready to accept my apology?". And Hammond just stares at him and walks away tongue

I have another question by the way: Did anyone actually expect Malcolm to die when they first saw the film? Even for the split moment when the Rex is chasing Malcolm, before the focus moves to Gennaro sitting in the toilet? Obviously I don't expect anyone here to remember their thoughts from years and years ago, and I certainly can't remember myself as 7-year old thinking about it, but still... interesting to wonder. I guess the question is more rhetoric.

The urban legend also seems to be that Martin Ferrero didn't want to see Gennaro dead, but the sources are confusing. Even from Ferrero and Goldblum themselves lol. The various interviews they've given have been somewhat contradictory.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm?   What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm? Icon_minitimeFri May 05, 2017 8:54 pm

If this scenario of mine had happened as I told it, I imagine two ways to finish off Gennaro that might seem semi-pleasing:

1) He realizes what he has become (would only need couple of reflecting shots) and when Sattler is aiming to leave to the maintenance shed with Muldoon, he volunteers to take her place. Sattler of course insists on going, but Gennaro disagrees. Maybe they could switch Hammond's "I'm a man" dialogue with him, and also Hammond could give some excuse of having to need her to attend to Malcolm. Then when Gennaro's at the shed, he gets the power back, but gets killed by the raptor. Perhaps like the way Arnold died in the novel, next to the stairs. So you would feel kind of sorry for him, but at the same kind of not.

2) Muldoon asks Gennaro to accompany him to the shed. He looks to everyone like a rat, but is too embarrassed to say no, and they go. When they are outside and Muldoon says they are being hunted, he immediately starts running towards the shed and leaves Muldoon there. Then he gets killed the same way as above, but even more as coward. He'd die like Burke in Aliens.

Or, or, we forgot what I said earlier in this thread, and after Malcolm got killed and Sattler & Muldoon found Gennaro, he thoroughly admitted everyone of being a big coward and leaving the kids back. He'd be heartbroken for the rest of the film, not even being able to say sorry for Hammond. He'd just be a sorry man who survived till the end and had to live with it.
Back to top Go down
Levine
Veteran
Veteran
Levine

PostSubject: Re: What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm?   What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm? Icon_minitimeFri May 05, 2017 10:05 pm

Well movie wise if he did hed tag along with Muldoon (page from the novel) and either die with him at TBOs claws or help Ellie, return w the others and escape the whole ordeal, then die offscreen as in TLW novel.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm?   What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm? Icon_minitimeFri May 05, 2017 10:13 pm

But novel Gennaro is not the Gennaro/Regis-hybrid as movie-Gennaro is.

Btw more Gravity Falls always appreciated, you know the avatar Razz
Back to top Go down
Spinosaur4.4
Veteran
Veteran
Spinosaur4.4

PostSubject: Re: What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm?   What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm? Icon_minitimeFri May 05, 2017 10:40 pm

Nothing would really change as a matter of the story. Malcolm isn't a key to JP continue happening. JW would exist and dinosaurs would still be made. He didn't stop dinosaurs from being made, why would his death do otherwise?

People get angry and butthurt with me when I tell them that, but that's the hard truth a lot of people don't accept: There are more important characters than Malcolm and he isn't the center of JP.  Cool, he is the voice of Crichton and fans, but he isn't all necessary for the story as a whole.

Very Happy

Former JPL member, Spinosaur4.4.

What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm? LYHX0zA

Last edited by Spinosaur4.4 on Fri May 05, 2017 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm?   What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm? Icon_minitimeFri May 05, 2017 10:45 pm

I mean, I don't think it would've made the film any less of a pop culture phenomena as per say, because it's just a character detail, but if we talk about the sequels and legacy... everything affects everything. If something had been done different then, that would have reflected differently to the flow of events somehow. The franchise would not be the same today, not exactly.

Malcolm didn't go on about those butterfly stories and chaos for nothing tongue
Back to top Go down
Spinosaur4.4
Veteran
Veteran
Spinosaur4.4

PostSubject: Re: What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm?   What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm? Icon_minitimeFri May 05, 2017 10:46 pm

Mistral wrote:
I mean, I don't think it would've made the film any less of a pop culture phenomena as per say, because it's just a character detail, but if we talk about the sequels and legacy... everything affects everything. If something had been done different then, that would have reflected differently to the flow of events somehow. The franchise would not be the same today, not exactly.

As I said. Some stuff might change, but the story overall? Nah. Nothing. 

He didn't stop InGen alive, he wouldn't do anything dead.  Cool

(People will jump on me and want my head on a plate, I feel that)

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm?   What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm? Icon_minitimeFri May 05, 2017 10:55 pm

Spinosaur4.4 wrote:
Mistral wrote:

No, that's not what I mean. The history will never repeat itself as it is if factor X is changed, no matter how big or small that X is. There are too many factors to go through. Even if the reception and cultural impact of JP would've been there or thereabouts exactly the same (which it admittedly likely would have been), the snowball effect to different outcome would have regardless been started. First, the film would've been different, which would caused several causality loops to occur. Then Crichton, if he even wrote the second novel in the first place, would have not written Malcolm into it as he had not only died in the first novel but also in the first film. Spielberg would not have agreed such development, and it wouldn't have made sense. Then obviously TLW film would have been entirely different, as the base story would have been modified as well as the before mentioned causality effects. That would've then changed the film overall for different, as well as possible reception. JP3 might or might not have happened afterwards, and if it did, it too would have been likely different. Not to mention of JP4 development hell and JW. What I'm saying is that "the story" and flow of time will not be the same if you take one element out of it. It all changes.

Last edited by Mistral on Fri May 05, 2017 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Spinosaur4.4
Veteran
Veteran
Spinosaur4.4

PostSubject: Re: What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm?   What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm? Icon_minitimeFri May 05, 2017 10:58 pm

Mistral wrote:
Spinosaur4.4 wrote:
Mistral wrote:

No, that's not what I mean. The history will never repeat itself as it is if factor X is changed, no matter how big or small that X is. There are too many factors to go through. Even if the reception and cultural impact of JP would've been there or thereabouts exactly the same (which it admittedly likely would have been), the snowball effect to different outcome would have regardless been started. Crichton, if he even wrote the second novel, would have not written Malcolm into TLW as he had not only died in the first novel but also in the first film, and Spielberg would not have cared for thad. Then obviously TLW would have been entirely different, as the base story would have been modified. That would've then changed the film overall for different, as well as possible reception. JP3 might or might not have happened afterwards, and if it did, it too would have been likely different. Not to mention of JP4 development hell and JW. What I'm saying is that "the story" and flow of time will not be the same if you take one element out of it. It all changes.
Ohhhhh you're telling not in JP Universe, but the making of the movies. Then yes, I agree.  Laughing
But only because we had Malcolm as the POV of the story. JP Universe would pratically be the same.  Cool
JW, InGen, dinosaurs, all there.  Cool

I'm so naive sometimes, sorry.  Laughing

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm?   What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm? Icon_minitimeFri May 05, 2017 11:01 pm

Spinosaur4.4 wrote:
Mistral wrote:
Spinosaur4.4 wrote:
Mistral wrote:

No, that's not what I mean. The history will never repeat itself as it is if factor X is changed, no matter how big or small that X is. There are too many factors to go through. Even if the reception and cultural impact of JP would've been there or thereabouts exactly the same (which it admittedly likely would have been), the snowball effect to different outcome would have regardless been started. Crichton, if he even wrote the second novel, would have not written Malcolm into TLW as he had not only died in the first novel but also in the first film, and Spielberg would not have cared for thad. Then obviously TLW would have been entirely different, as the base story would have been modified. That would've then changed the film overall for different, as well as possible reception. JP3 might or might not have happened afterwards, and if it did, it too would have been likely different. Not to mention of JP4 development hell and JW. What I'm saying is that "the story" and flow of time will not be the same if you take one element out of it. It all changes.
Ohhhhh you're telling not in JP Universe, but the making of the movies. Then yes, I agree.  Laughing
But only because we had Malcolm as the POV of the story. JP Universe would pratically be the same.  Cool

But even inside-the-universe-only, had Malcolm not went to Sorna, InGen might've succeeded in capturing the dinosaurs and bringing them to Ludlow's San Diego park. Then everything else that happened afterwards would not have occurred, at least not as it was portrayed.
Back to top Go down
Spinosaur4.4
Veteran
Veteran
Spinosaur4.4

PostSubject: Re: What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm?   What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm? Icon_minitimeFri May 05, 2017 11:04 pm

Mistral wrote:
Spinosaur4.4 wrote:
Mistral wrote:
Spinosaur4.4 wrote:
Mistral wrote:

But even inside-the-universe-only, had Malcolm not went to Sorna, InGen might've succeeded in capturing the dinosaurs and bringing them to Ludlow's San Diego park. Then everything else that happened afterwards would not have occurred, at least not as it was portrayed.
"Might"...I think we really don't know. So many possibilities. But yeah, InGen would win, after all.  Cool

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm?   What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm? Icon_minitimeFri May 05, 2017 11:08 pm

Spinosaur4.4 wrote:
Mistral wrote:
Spinosaur4.4 wrote:
Mistral wrote:
Spinosaur4.4 wrote:
Mistral wrote:

"Might"...I think we really don't know. So many possibilities. But yeah, InGen would win, after all.  Cool

I think the death of Malcolm would have changed Hammond quite dramatically at the very least. Also without Malcolm alive there would not have been breaks of NDAs. So even the events between JP and TLW would've been different
Back to top Go down
Spinosaur4.4
Veteran
Veteran
Spinosaur4.4

PostSubject: Re: What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm?   What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm? Icon_minitimeSat May 06, 2017 7:59 am

Mistral wrote:
Spinosaur4.4 wrote:
Mistral wrote:
Spinosaur4.4 wrote:
Mistral wrote:
Spinosaur4.4 wrote:
Mistral wrote:

I think the death of Malcolm would have changed Hammond quite dramatically at the very least. Also without Malcolm alive there would not have been breaks of NDAs. So even the events between JP and TLW would've been different
How it would change Hammond? Even if he didn't want a park anymore, well, InGen wanted. Cause InGen is badass.  Cool

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm?   What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm? Icon_minitimeSat May 06, 2017 1:58 pm

Spinosaur4.4 wrote:
Mistral wrote:
Spinosaur4.4 wrote:
Mistral wrote:
Spinosaur4.4 wrote:
Mistral wrote:
Spinosaur4.4 wrote:
Mistral wrote:

How it would change Hammond? Even if he didn't want a park anymore, well, InGen wanted. Cause InGen is badass.  Cool

He might've had different ideas about keeping Sorna (and I guess Nublar) protected. Deaths of people can affect decisions and minds greatly
Back to top Go down
Spinosaur4.4
Veteran
Veteran
Spinosaur4.4

PostSubject: Re: What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm?   What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm? Icon_minitimeSat May 06, 2017 3:05 pm

Mistral wrote:
Spinosaur4.4 wrote:
Mistral wrote:
Spinosaur4.4 wrote:
Mistral wrote:
Spinosaur4.4 wrote:
Mistral wrote:
Spinosaur4.4 wrote:
Mistral wrote:

He might've had different ideas about keeping Sorna (and I guess Nublar) protected. Deaths of people can affect decisions and minds greatly
Let's see if that happens in JW2.
(Death of characters affecting the plot)

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm?   What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm? Icon_minitimeSat May 06, 2017 3:13 pm

Spinosaur4.4 wrote:
Mistral wrote:
Spinosaur4.4 wrote:
Mistral wrote:
Spinosaur4.4 wrote:
Mistral wrote:
Spinosaur4.4 wrote:
Mistral wrote:
Spinosaur4.4 wrote:
Mistral wrote:

Let's see if that happens in JW2.
(Death of characters affecting the plot)

Yeah I think it would be interesting for JP5 as it's very much undiscovered territory in this franschice.

The only post-fatality reminiscing moment I can think of was when Eddie died, but even that was just quickly shrug off and forgotten. Oh and I guess when Ben Hildebrand's skeleton was found, but even Amanda said she wasn't crying for him but Eric. And then they never mentioned Ben again lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm?   What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What if Gennaro had survived instead of Malcolm?
Page 1 of 1