HomeMainframeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

People who wanted to see more of the park

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lost
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

PostSubject: People who wanted to see more of the park   Wed May 03, 2017 4:08 am

I have noticed a lot of complaints since JW came out about how it didn't show us enough of the actual park and missed that opportunity. I assume they are talking about the animals themselves and not the visitors centre. We actually got to see a lot, much more than in JP. Apart from the indominus, t-rex and raptor paddocks, we got to see the petting zoo, the herbivores by the water (people going past in canoes), ankylosaurus and stegosauruses in the field, same for gallimimus. Then there's the dimorphodons in their aviary, the apatasaurs in the field (albeit dead)... It's quite a lot they've shown us, actually. Maybe people expected more fences? Seems like the park administration went for a lot of open solutions, which is great and makes it easier for the tourists to get close to the animals.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus

PostSubject: Re: People who wanted to see more of the park   Wed May 03, 2017 4:20 am

I think what a lot of those people mean is that while we get a decent overview of the park and its attractions, there isn't that much time spent soaking in each of these locations. The Jungle River Cruise especially could have benefited from more than just a quick panning shot. I don't know if the lack of fences is the problem, since the "invisible barrier" system is supposedly what's keeping the herbivores from stampeding all over the tourist area.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lost
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

PostSubject: Re: People who wanted to see more of the park   Wed May 03, 2017 4:34 am

@BarrytheOnyx wrote:
I think what a lot of those people mean is that while we get a decent overview of the park and its attractions, there isn't that much time spent soaking in each of these locations. The Jungle River Cruise especially could have benefited from more than just a quick panning shot. I don't know if the lack of fences is the problem, since the "invisible barrier" system is supposedly what's keeping the herbivores from stampeding all over the tourist area.

"Invisible barrier" system? Not sure I've heard of this before, can you explain?

I agree that the quick panning shot of the jungle river cruise was way too short. But the movie would probably drag on a lot if they kept dwelling on each attraction.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus

PostSubject: Re: People who wanted to see more of the park   Wed May 03, 2017 5:11 am

@Lost wrote:
@BarrytheOnyx wrote:

"Invisible barrier" system? Not sure I've heard of this before, can you explain?

I agree that the quick panning shot of the jungle river cruise was way too short. But the movie would probably drag on a lot if they kept dwelling on each attraction.

I believe there's a quote from Claire in the first act of the film, we're first introduced to the Control Room and we see ACU tend to a tranquilized Pachy on the monitor:

"Security said the invisible fences were a no-fail, that is the second time this month!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lost
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

PostSubject: Re: People who wanted to see more of the park   Wed May 03, 2017 5:28 am

Ah ok, thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tyrant Lizard
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor

PostSubject: Re: People who wanted to see more of the park   Wed May 03, 2017 10:19 am

When I watch a JP film, I watch it for the fences, and there weren't nearly enough fences in Jurassic World.

I really hope there are more fences in JW2.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Troyal1
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus

PostSubject: Re: People who wanted to see more of the park   Wed May 03, 2017 11:02 am

this is how I would do it. We see Dinosaurs on the balcony scene. 

10 minute montage of attractions after they meet Claire. Then Masrani arriving and the raptor pen sequence. This would end with a light show from the visitors center at night and the boys heading to their hotel. As the light show is cutting off I would cut to the I-Rex pen as we hear a scratching sound and hear leaves rustling. I would put rain in this scene as well Razz

The boys plan to see the Mosa and and Gyro attraction in the morning(setting up events that would get them in danger). In the morning we would pick up with Claire meeting Owen and everything the same.

It felt "off" to me  that the film keeps switching back and forth from serious scenes to the boys enjoying themselves without us really ever giving the park aspect time to breathe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lost
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

PostSubject: Re: People who wanted to see more of the park   Wed May 03, 2017 2:48 pm

@Tyrant Lizard wrote:
When I watch a JP film, I watch it for the fences, and there weren't nearly enough fences in Jurassic World.

I really hope there are more fences in JW2.

I can't tell if you're being serious Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: People who wanted to see more of the park   Wed May 03, 2017 3:22 pm

Back to top Go down
Lost
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

PostSubject: Re: People who wanted to see more of the park   Wed May 03, 2017 3:59 pm

Well, the fences in JP kind of underscored how dangerous these animals are and add to the excitement, like in the t-rex breakout, and also make the enclosures more well-defined.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sdp
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

PostSubject: Re: People who wanted to see more of the park   Wed May 03, 2017 4:47 pm

I think we all wanted to see more of the park and it was a missed opportunity since they could've given us a little bit more. Reasons why they didn't do it? THEY HATE THE FANS.

But seriously it was likely because of both cost and pacing. Showing more of the park would've required a larger budget which JW didn't have since they didn't know JW would be a sleeper hit that did Star Wars numbers at the Box Office. The other is pacing, while most of us in the fandom would've loved to see more of the park, I know I did since I was a kid, it would've made the film slow in the beginning and the majority would've complained.

I still think we could've had 5-8 more minutes of random attractions with the above reasons into account.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://miscrave.com
Troyal1
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus

PostSubject: Re: People who wanted to see more of the park   Wed May 03, 2017 5:27 pm

@sdp wrote:
I think we all wanted to see more of the park and it was a missed opportunity since they could've given us a little bit more. Reasons why they didn't do it? THEY HATE THE FANS.

But seriously it was likely because of both cost and pacing. Showing more of the park would've required a larger budget which JW didn't have since they didn't know JW would be a sleeper hit that did Star Wars numbers at the Box Office. The other is pacing, while most of us in the fandom would've loved to see more of the park, I know I did since I was a kid, it would've made the film slow in the beginning and the majority would've complained.

I still think we could've had 5-8 more minutes of random attractions with the above reasons into account.

I think a lot of it was budget. Some of those early story boards aren't light on the things we see in the park, but universal had no idea the film was going to be THAT successful.

It's why we're seeing a massive jump for JW2 and to allow for practical.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lost
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

PostSubject: Re: People who wanted to see more of the park   Wed May 03, 2017 5:31 pm

@sdp wrote:

I know! It's so obvious how they didn't have the fans in mind when they made this movie. When I watch Jurassic World I almost see nothing at all to remind us of the previous movies! It's like they didn't even try!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: People who wanted to see more of the park   Wed May 03, 2017 5:45 pm

@Lost wrote:
@sdp wrote:

I know! It's so obvious how they didn't have the fans in mind when they made this movie. When I watch Jurassic World I almost see nothing at all to remind us of the previous movies! It's like they didn't even try!

Actually, they tried too much.

Also the sarcasm meter seems to still be broken at times.
Back to top Go down
Spinosaur4.4
Indominus rex
Indominus rex

PostSubject: Re: People who wanted to see more of the park   Wed May 03, 2017 6:20 pm

I would love to see more of the attractions and the park, but looks like an useless divorce subplot was more important...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sickle_Claw

PostSubject: Re: People who wanted to see more of the park   Wed May 03, 2017 11:51 pm

You guys will probably get more of the park in JW2

PostSubject: Re: People who wanted to see more of the park   Wed May 03, 2017 11:54 pm

@Sickle_Claw wrote:
You guys will probably get more of the park in JW2

Sadly

JP3 will still remain as the only film without park setting/ploy whatsoever
Back to top Go down
Lost
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

PostSubject: Re: People who wanted to see more of the park   Thu May 04, 2017 3:39 am

Mistral wrote:
@Lost wrote:
@sdp wrote:

Yeah, I forgot to add this to my post.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Troyal1
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus

PostSubject: Re: People who wanted to see more of the park   Thu May 04, 2017 8:05 pm

P
@Lost wrote:
Mistral wrote:
@Lost wrote:
@sdp wrote:

Yeah, I forgot to add this to my post.

I know you were making fun of al the constant references in JW. But I thought they were actually done poorly and they needed to actually give us more good ones. I thought the visitors center was an abomination, they barely gave us any park etc.

I have no problem with a sh*t ton of fan service and winks. I just want it done fully and gracefully and I don't think JW did that at all imo
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: People who wanted to see more of the park   Thu May 04, 2017 8:24 pm

The only good reference in the film was the Mr DNA one, because it actually served a logical purpose AND wasn't in your face, but in the background. Everything else was garbage. Malcolm's book might've been alright I guess if it was just in the train scene mirrored from the window, but when it's shown in the control room from multiple instances it's pointlessly highlighted to the camera. Remember-this wink-wink ha-ha.
Back to top Go down
Gondrasia
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: People who wanted to see more of the park   Fri May 05, 2017 5:57 pm

@BarrytheOnyx wrote:

I think this is definitely part of the problem that people had, probably due to the shots of the Cretaceous Cruise and Gallimimus Valley etc. being shown in the three main movie trailers, and when watching the movie, all of the attractions (with the exception of the Gyrosphere and Indominus rex) appear for approximately 1 minute. But despite this, I don't think the screen time is the real issue, the main problem was the way the movie shows them. 

Technically there's nothing wrong with how these attractions were shown, the cinematography and the special effects were great and the attractions were very creative and rather exciting, but these scenes with the attractions are mostly split up from each other, and are more less used as a transition of time and change of location. In the Dave Lowery storyboards, the original "Welcome to Jurassic World" scene not only gave a glorious sweeping overview of the JW Lagoon Resort, but also an overview of the majority of the attractions in the park as well. If I were to make an estimated guess, they would have a similar amount of screen time as the final cut. But the big difference would be that we get to see the majority of Jurassic World in all of its glory, where we're all in as wide-eyed, excited and in complete awe as Gray. It would also serve as a good contrast and setup to Claire and the business aspect of the park. 

Granted, I could see the reasons why this sequence might have been cut; it might have pushed the limits of their budget, potentially ruin the pacing as it might be considered as filler and ruined the surprise of the attractions that Zach Gray were going to in the movie (T. rex Kingdom and the Gyrosphere). But it is a shame that parts of this sequence couldn't be reused for the final version; or even used in a different way.

For example with the scenes of Cretaceous Cruise, Pteranodon Peak and Gallimimus Valley; why not show them during the Zach and Gray's monorail journey to the Gyrosphere. This would also give more time to develop the divorce plot and how it's affecting the Mitchell brothers, and even show further reason of the argument that "people are no longer wowed by dinosaurs", by showing what was once an exciting adventure where people pressed up against the glass to take pictures of the animals, it is now just another mundane train journey.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Troyal1
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus

PostSubject: Re: People who wanted to see more of the park   Fri May 05, 2017 9:38 pm

@Gondrasia wrote:
@BarrytheOnyx wrote:

I think this is definitely part of the problem that people had, probably due to the shots of the Cretaceous Cruise and Gallimimus Valley etc. being shown in the three main movie trailers, and when watching the movie, all of the attractions (with the exception of the Gyrosphere and Indominus rex) appear for approximately 1 minute. But despite this, I don't think the screen time is the real issue, the main problem was the way the movie shows them. 

Technically there's nothing wrong with how these attractions were shown, the cinematography and the special effects were great and the attractions were very creative and rather exciting, but these scenes with the attractions are mostly split up from each other, and are more less used as a transition of time and change of location. In the Dave Lowery storyboards, the original "Welcome to Jurassic World" scene not only gave a glorious sweeping overview of the JW Lagoon Resort, but also an overview of the majority of the attractions in the park as well. If I were to make an estimated guess, they would have a similar amount of screen time as the final cut. But the big difference would be that we get to see the majority of Jurassic World in all of its glory, where we're all in as wide-eyed, excited and in complete awe as Gray. It would also serve as a good contrast and setup to Claire and the business aspect of the park. 

Granted, I could see the reasons why this sequence might have been cut; it might have pushed the limits of their budget, potentially ruin the pacing as it might be considered as filler and ruined the surprise of the attractions that Zach Gray were going to in the movie (T. rex Kingdom and the Gyrosphere). But it is a shame that parts of this sequence couldn't be reused for the final version; or even used in a different way.

For example with the scenes of Cretaceous Cruise, Pteranodon Peak and Gallimimus Valley; why not show them during the Zach and Gray's monorail journey to the Gyrosphere. This would also give more time to develop the divorce plot and how it's affecting the Mitchell brothers, and even show further reason of the argument that "people are no longer wowed by dinosaurs", by showing what was once an exciting adventure where people pressed up against the glass to take pictures of the animals, it is now just another mundane train journey.

I love that concept art. Most of it anyway
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: People who wanted to see more of the park   Fri May 05, 2017 9:40 pm

I don't, as they would have risen even more logic/realism issues than there already are in huge numbers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: People who wanted to see more of the park   

Back to top Go down

People who wanted to see more of the park
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1