Don't worry, Ian. I'm not making the same mistakes again! est 2016.

HomeMainframeCalendarJurassic Mainframe NewsFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

School Grades for Acting & Character Portrayals

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: School Grades for Acting & Character Portrayals   Fri May 05, 2017 3:52 pm

If you had the give acting performances and characters portayals* in the JP films school grades**, what would they be?

NOTE 1
* I'm including only the people mentioned in the main billing for the films, but you can include others if you wish

NOTE 2
** I'm using American grading system, which is weird because I've never used it before in anything and nor was I ever graded like this in anything. However as most of the people on this forum is seemingly from the United States, I decided to use this for clarification. Or something. Use something else if you want

Jurassic Park
Sam Neill: A+ / Grant: A+
Laura Dern: A+ / Sattler: A+
Jeff Goldblum: A+ / Malcolm: A+
Richard Attenborough: A+ / Hammond: A+
Bob Peck: A+ / Muldoon: A (objectively, subjectively I'd give the character A+ too Very Happy)
Martin Ferrero: A+ / Gennaro: A+
BD Wong: B+ / Wu: B+
Samuel L Jackson: A+ / Arnold: A+
Wayne Knight: A+ / Nedry: A+
Joseph Mazzello: A / Tim: A
Ariana Richards: A+ / Lex: A+

The Lost World
Jeff Goldblum: A / Malcolm: B
Julianne Moore: A / Sarah: B-
Pete Postletwaite: A+ / Ronald: B+
Arliss Howard: A / Ludlow: B+
Richard Attenborough: A+ / Hammond: A-
Vince Vaughn: A- / Nick: D+
Vanessa Lee Chester: B- / Kelly: C-
Peter Stormare: A+ / Dieter: A-
Harvey Jason: B / Ajay: C-
Richard Schiff: A / Eddie: B
Thomas F Duffy: A- / Burke: C+
Joseph Mazzello: B- / Tim: B
Ariana Richards: B / Lex: B

Jurassic Park III
Sam Neill: A- / Grant: B-
William H Macy: A- / Paul: D+
Téa Leoni: A- / Amanda: D+
Alessandro Nivola: B / Billy: C
Trevor Morgan: B / Eric: C
Michael Jeter: B / Udesky: C
John Diehl: B / Cooper: C
Bruce A Young: B / Nash: C

Jurassic World
Chris Pratt: B / Owen: C
Bryce Dallas Howard: A- / Claire: B-
Vincent D'Onofrio: B / Hoskins: C-
Ty Simpkins: D- / Gray: F
Nick Robinson: D / Zach: F
Jake Johnson: B / Lowery: F
Omar Sy: B / Barry: D+
BD Wong: B- / Wu: C
Judy Greer: A- / Karen: C
Irrfan Khan: A- / Masrani: B-
Brian Tee: B / Hamada: D+
Katie McGrath: B / Zara: D
Lauren Lapkus: B / Vivian: D-
Andy Buckley: B / Scott: C-

I might change some of these later, but for now...
Back to top Go down
Levine
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: School Grades for Acting & Character Portrayals   Fri May 05, 2017 4:18 pm

Pretty much every actor/actress casted for a JP film have been solid picks. The onlyVinc that felt weak imo was Vince Vaughn (mostly bc hes not in a comedy).

Facebook: dm
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

PostSubject: Re: School Grades for Acting & Character Portrayals   Fri May 05, 2017 4:31 pm

As a kid I always thought of him as the film's comic relief actually, before I realized the true nature of the character. But I thought he played it well, for what it was worth
Back to top Go down
Spinosaur4.4
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: School Grades for Acting & Character Portrayals   Fri May 05, 2017 5:10 pm

How you give Wu a C? O.O

He was the best character from that thing, while Chris Pratt protained Chris Pratt in the movie (because Owen was so flat).

Okay, it's not that BD Wong acts in an Oscar level thing, but I think he captured the character perfectly, and while I felt Wu was too much cold for his character, he still delivered it.

The problem IMO wasn't with the actor at all but the way they wrote the character mostly. I'm almost sure of this.

By the way, I disagree also with Infran/Masrani and Bryce/Claire. I think they did great.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: School Grades for Acting & Character Portrayals   Fri May 05, 2017 5:21 pm

The writing was bit all over the place. His character might've been good if more time was devoted to it, but the mere couple of minutes he was in the film was not enough to make his changed characteristics believable. Also I think while B.D was okay overall he over acted a bit, especially in the scene where he walks away from Masrani to look somewhere, and then turns back to say his lines of Masrani wanting bigger cooler animals. It takes away from the film.
Back to top Go down
Spinosaur4.4
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: School Grades for Acting & Character Portrayals   Fri May 05, 2017 5:59 pm

Mistral wrote:
The writing was bit all over the place. His character might've been good if more time was devoted to it, but the mere couple of minutes he was in the film was not enough to make his changed characteristics believable. Also I think while B.D was okay overall he over acted a bit, especially in the scene where he walks away from Masrani to look somewhere, and then turns back to say his lines of Masrani wanting bigger cooler animals. It takes away from the film.

I fully agree about the character being good if they had more screentime for him. Damnit. If in JW2 he isn't fully developed and doesn't has a good screentime I'll be so butthurt.  Mad

But yeah, it was better to spend time with useless plot divorce.  Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sickle_Claw

PostSubject: Re: School Grades for Acting & Character Portrayals   Fri May 05, 2017 7:20 pm

Amanda Kirby deserves the F. Along with Mark Degler. Not Lowery.

PostSubject: Re: School Grades for Acting & Character Portrayals   Fri May 05, 2017 7:39 pm

I see this has turned into "everybody points out how horribly wrong Mistral is" shooting match instead of people giving grades of their own lol
Back to top Go down
Spinosaur4.4
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: School Grades for Acting & Character Portrayals   Fri May 05, 2017 7:49 pm

Mistral wrote:
I see this has turned into "everybody points out how horribly wrong Mistral is" shooting match instead of people giving grades of their own lol
Haha no it's not like that. We have different opinions and that's cool.  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: School Grades for Acting & Character Portrayals   Fri May 05, 2017 8:11 pm

tongue

In terms of how my opinions have changed over the years, I would say with JP the only major difference would probably be that back then, as kid, I didn't like Martin Ferrero playing Gennaro quite so much. You know I just saw him as this stiff guy playing character with boring characteristics. But when I begun following Miami Vice and saw his brilliant portrayal as Izzy there, I really started appreciating his versatile acting capabilities. And for the character, when I read the book around year 2000 or so I realized how brilliantly Spielberg and the screenwriters integrated Crichton's Ed Regis into this character, it was really neat. It's a great character - and performance - that's often forgotten, as well as overshadowed by the toilet scene.

Also I guess with Muldoon I have seen his incompetence better ( Laughing ), but that's not really as much of a flaw than funny thing. Because of that, I can't objectively say he's a perfect character, hence why I gave it A, but in my mind subjectively he's still A+. There's nothing really logically wrong with him, he's just... you know, really bad at what he does  Razz

With TLW, quite more radical. Most of the characters have gone backwards once I realized how much plot holes and logic issues the characters had. I think Dieter and possibly Ludlow have gone up but everybody else either down or about the same as now. Malcolm especially I remember being EXTREMELY confused about, as in how the hell is this supposed to be the same character? Still feel that, although obviously I can understand why they did (some) of that. Then, acting wise not much have changed except Stormare again up - it really is a good performance. And I guess you can see Joseph Mazzello not looking quite as convincing anymore in his teens lol, it tends to happen with some of these child actors. It's probably better they limited his cameo lines even more than Ariana's.

JP3 pretty much the same as far as I can remember

JW I've learned to like Claire a lot more (the B- comes mainly from the logic problems), and BDH in particular. Otherwise I think my feelings are just the same, as in mostly negative, as two years ago. Maybe Hoskins has slide back a bit
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: School Grades for Acting & Character Portrayals   

Back to top Go down

School Grades for Acting & Character Portrayals
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1