Where Life Found a Way...est. 2016
 
HomeMainframeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 General Jurassic World 2 News Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Tyrant Lizard
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
avatar

Posts : 450
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 27
Location : Vancouver, Canada

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:40 am

My issue is this.

If we're given something akin the the Rex/Indominus fight in every single movie, it's going to end up looking watered down. Personally, I loved the end of JW. It was massive, it was epic, it was fun. The 10 year old in me was having a joygasm the entire time.

That being said, it really needs to be a one-off. Eventually, the dinosaurs will really start to look like Pokemon/Tranformers/Kaiju, and that kind of negates the whole purpose. Furthermore, if taken too far, it will start to look like self parody, which will in turn undermine the franchise as a whole.

Add to that the fact that a lot of the fans do have a particular dinosaur that they absolutely adore/fangasm over, and if that particular dinosaur happens to get the short end of the stick, it could potentially alienate people. JP3 is the perfect example of that.

Also, it undermines the creative process as well. Why should the writers use their brains to come up with something new and original when they can just throw two dinosaurs together in a prehistoric cockfight?

All things considered, I just think it's the wrong road to go down. I'd rather see something more original.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CT-1138
Dinosaur Fact File Curator
Dinosaur Fact File Curator
avatar

Posts : 553
Join date : 2012-04-06
Age : 24
Location : Chicago

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:14 am

Uhhhh.... 3 words: Spino vs T. rex

There's also the fact that the avengers battle in Jurassic Wor, Oh I mean the dino war, was so schlocky and cliched I saw every move coming minutes ahead of it happening. They tried turning JP in Marvel, and it shows. It tickles the inner 10 year old, because a 10 year old probably came up with it. I mean, this is a JP movie, not a child playing with their toys. That's not how animals fight. They have a big build up and a disappointingly anti-climactic ending. It's not some drawn out super-fight. Though, I will say, I do not and never will consider the T. rex on Raptor action in the first movie a "fight". It's simply T. rex preying on a smaller carnivore. She's even bent over the Raptor carcass about to eat like she was over the Gallimimus when the other Raptor attacks her and the Rex has to defend herself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://abekowalski.deviantart.com/
BarrytheOnyx
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus
avatar

Posts : 776
Join date : 2016-06-17
Age : 24
Location : Stratford Upon Avon, England

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:53 am

If we can all stop acting that one (admittedly OTT) dinosaur battle at the end of Jurassic World automatically means this franchise has become The Avengers? It hasn't and it won't. I still don't see Marvel Studios when I see Jurassic World (even accepting that several of their actors have appeared in Marvel films), I see a finale more similar to a Ray Harryhausen film with strong characterization given to the individual creatures and a sense of awe arising from that scene. Dislike it to your hearts content (or lack thereof), but don't try to dress it down into something it isn't.


Last edited by BarrytheOnyx on Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus
avatar

Posts : 2374
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:22 am

I still want to see a a pair of bull Trikes fighting to see who becomes the alpha male of the herd or an alpha male Trike fight and ward off a smaller predator like the one Triceratops fought off the one Allosaurus in the original 1925 version of The Lost World or fight and kill a full grown Ceratosaurus to the death via One Million Years BC. It would be a tribute to past dinosaur films while still giving people something different.

If we're going to have dinosaur fights, then at least make them natural as possible.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CT-1138
Dinosaur Fact File Curator
Dinosaur Fact File Curator
avatar

Posts : 553
Join date : 2012-04-06
Age : 24
Location : Chicago

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:28 am

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
I still want to see a a pair of bull Trikes fighting to see who becomes the alpha male of the herd or an alpha male Trike fight and ward off a smaller predator like the one Triceratops fought off the one Allosaurus in the original 1925 version of The Lost World or fight and kill a full grown Ceratosaurus to the death via One Million Years BC. It would be a tribute to past dinosaur films while still giving people something different.

If we're going to have dinosaur fights, then at least make them natural as possible.

This. I know Grant tells Charlie "Herbivores don't fight" but when you look at nature shows... who's making the big fights for dominance and mates? It's the herbivores. It's the big horn sheep smashing into each other for the right to mate. It's the hippopotamus chewing on each other for space in the watering hole. I want to see Pachycephalosaurus ramming into each other like Big Horn sheep. Heck, a predator:prey fight like a Raptor or a Rex trying to take on a Stegosaurus would be FAR more interesting than another predator on predator fight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://abekowalski.deviantart.com/
Spinosaur4.4
Indominus rex
Indominus rex
avatar

Posts : 846
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : My cubby room aka My world

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:36 am

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
I still want to see a a pair of bull Trikes fighting to see who becomes the alpha male of the herd or an alpha male Trike fight and ward off a smaller predator like the one Triceratops fought off the one Allosaurus in the original 1925 version of The Lost World or fight and kill a full grown Ceratosaurus to the death via One Million Years BC. It would be a tribute to past dinosaur films while still giving people something different.

If we're going to have dinosaur fights, then at least make them natural as possible.
Now that would be cool.  Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NolaJP
Hatchling
Hatchling
avatar

Posts : 42
Join date : 2017-06-23

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:00 pm

One of the problems is defining what actually constitutes a Jurassic Park movie. The first and second exist only because of Michael Crichton. Crichton found a cool way for dinosaurs to come back to life and eat people. He was paid a truckload of money to find another way for people to get eaten for the second novel. He had to think of a second island just to create a rational reason for humans being among the dinosaurs again.

My point is there is only so far the franchise can go if it just sticks to the tone and structure of the first movie. Say what you want about the San Diego scene from The Lost World, but I think Spielberg knew just having people running from dinosaurs on an island wasn't enough for audiences. He was proven correct by the lackluster reception and box office performance of JP3.

I'd rather the franchise try new things than stick to different variations of the same formula, like they did with Jurassic World. I actually found the most entertaining parts of JW to be the raptor squad and the final battle. The Indominus wrecking havoc just felt like JP3 all over again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Herrerasaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
avatar

Posts : 113
Join date : 2017-05-25

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:28 pm

For me it is not about the fights but how things are executed. They can do whatever fight they want, as long as it is handled well. Bayona is a talented director so i would like to see his take on this (if they even go this route).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Océane
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus
avatar

Posts : 360
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 14
Location : Los Angeles, California

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:08 pm

@NolaJP Tbh I feel like the franchise should've stopped at JW or TLW, now I'm just here for the action & more importantly, toys! Very Happy

_______________
Formerly known as "Raptorlover0823."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus
avatar

Posts : 2374
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:15 pm

@Océane wrote:
@NolaJP Tbh I feel like the franchise should've stopped at JW or TLW, now I'm just here for the action & more importantly, toys! Very Happy

You're not the only one. I remember back in JPL that Ty said that he felt the franchise should have stopped at TLW as well since the ending wrapped things up so well. I'm not going to lie, part of me agrees with that considering how bad JP3 was and how Universal hasn't done the JP franchise as much justice as it should be getting by now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tyrant Lizard
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
avatar

Posts : 450
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 27
Location : Vancouver, Canada

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:22 pm

@BarrytheOnyx wrote:
If we can all stop acting that one (admittedly OTT) dinosaur battle at the end of Jurassic World automatically means this franchise has become The Avengers? It hasn't and it won't. I still don't see Marvel Studios when I see Jurassic World (even accepting that several of their actors have appeared in Marvel films), I see a finale more similar to a Ray Harryhausen film with strong characterization given to the individual creatures and a sense of awe arising from that scene. Dislike it to your hearts content (or lack thereof), but don't try to dress it down into something it isn't.

You, fine sir, have won the internet for the day.

While I admittedly would like to see them go a different direction in FK, there's this weird narrative people try and spin that somehow implies that the ending of JW somehow turned the movie into a superhero film, and that it somehow tarnished the legacy of a franchise who's two previous sequels are certified rotten on RT.

It's an odd web of falsities that are weaved.

Interestingly enough, I'm willing to bet that if someone were to take a poll of every single person that has seen JW, asking them what the best scene in the film was, the finale would win out by a WIIIIIDE margin.

I just don't want to see it done every time, to the point where it becomes expected and self parodying.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spinosaur4.4
Indominus rex
Indominus rex
avatar

Posts : 846
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : My cubby room aka My world

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:03 pm

I don't like the final fight anymore, to the point I just skip it when I watch JW. Has no meaning for me anymore. Have Blue team up a T.rex is just plain forced and I can't bare watching that anymore. Plus, she should be dead, but for plot reasons she'll be back because "Raptor daddy" needs her. And of course GA will like the fight and remember it more, it's normal for futile people like the general audience that just go to the theaters to watch action movies with action and fights all over, doesn't mean a fight is necessary in every JP movie.

PS: I'm not calling anyone who likes the fight futile, but rather the GA.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tyrant Lizard
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
avatar

Posts : 450
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 27
Location : Vancouver, Canada

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:08 pm

@Spinosaur4.4 wrote:
I don't like the final fight anymore, to the point I just skip it when I watch JW. Has no meaning for me anymore. Have Blue team up a T.rex is just plain forced and I can't bare watching that anymore. Plus, she should be dead, but for plot reasons she'll be back because "Raptor daddy" needs her. And of course GA will like the fight and remember it more, it's normal for futile people like the general audience that just go to the theaters to watch action movies with action and fights all over, doesn't mean a fight is necessary in every JP movie.

PS: I'm not calling anyone who likes the fight futile, but rather the GA.

fu·tile
ˈfyo͞odl,ˈfyo͞odīl/Submit
adjective
incapable of producing any useful result; pointless.

Jurassic World/Box office
1.672 billion USD

Futile/Pointless?

Anyways, rather than going back and forth about this, I do think most of us agree that dino battles shouldn't become the norm for this franchise going forward.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spinosaur4.4
Indominus rex
Indominus rex
avatar

Posts : 846
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : My cubby room aka My world

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:13 pm

@Tyrant Lizard wrote:
@Spinosaur4.4 wrote:
I don't like the final fight anymore, to the point I just skip it when I watch JW. Has no meaning for me anymore. Have Blue team up a T.rex is just plain forced and I can't bare watching that anymore. Plus, she should be dead, but for plot reasons she'll be back because "Raptor daddy" needs her. And of course GA will like the fight and remember it more, it's normal for futile people like the general audience that just go to the theaters to watch action movies with action and fights all over, doesn't mean a fight is necessary in every JP movie.

PS: I'm not calling anyone who likes the fight futile, but rather the GA.

fu·tile
ˈfyo͞odl,ˈfyo͞odīl/Submit
adjective
incapable of producing any useful result; pointless.

Jurassic World/Box office
1.672 billion USD

Futile/Pointless?

Anyways, rather than going back and forth about this, I do think most of us agree that dino battles shouldn't become the norm for this franchise going forward.
Where did I say JW was futile? I think you got my message wrong.


Last edited by Spinosaur4.4 on Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Herrerasaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
avatar

Posts : 113
Join date : 2017-05-25

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:16 pm

@Tyrant Lizard wrote:
@BarrytheOnyx wrote:
If we can all stop acting that one (admittedly OTT) dinosaur battle at the end of Jurassic World automatically means this franchise has become The Avengers? It hasn't and it won't. I still don't see Marvel Studios when I see Jurassic World (even accepting that several of their actors have appeared in Marvel films), I see a finale more similar to a Ray Harryhausen film with strong characterization given to the individual creatures and a sense of awe arising from that scene. Dislike it to your hearts content (or lack thereof), but don't try to dress it down into something it isn't.

You, fine sir, have won the internet for the day.

While I admittedly would like to see them go a different direction in FK, there's this weird narrative people try and spin that somehow implies that the ending of JW somehow turned the movie into a superhero film, and that it somehow tarnished the legacy of a franchise who's two previous sequels are certified rotten on RT.

It's an odd web of falsities that are weaved.

Interestingly enough, I'm willing to bet that if someone were to take a poll of every single person that has seen JW, asking them what the best scene in the film was, the finale would win out by a WIIIIIDE margin.

I just don't want to see it done every time, to the point where it becomes expected and self parodying.
I've seen a few ig polls for jw and the final fight won every time. Its the scene(plus the ending) that help give a slight advantage over the tlw for me. I didn't find it too ridiculous, heck iv seen videos of crocs and lions and buffalos in a 3 way fight and theres a picture of a weasel riding a humming bird.
Either way i do not think it FK will try to top that fight, colin did say the pacing and action would follow jp. so i expect a more personal action piece at the end
Back to top Go down
View user profile
#TRexSpinorematch
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
avatar

Posts : 102
Join date : 2017-05-28

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:00 pm

@CT-1138 wrote:
Uhhhh.... 3 words: Spino vs T. rex

There's also the fact that the avengers battle in Jurassic Wor, Oh I mean the dino war, was so schlocky and cliched I saw every move coming minutes ahead of it happening. They tried turning JP in Marvel, and it shows. It tickles the inner 10 year old, because a 10 year old probably came up with it. I mean, this is a JP movie, not a child playing with their toys. That's not how animals fight. They have a big build up and a disappointingly anti-climactic ending. It's not some drawn out super-fight. Though, I will say, I do not and never will consider the T. rex on Raptor action in the first movie a "fight". It's simply T. rex preying on a smaller carnivore. She's even bent over the Raptor carcass about to eat like she was over the Gallimimus when the other Raptor attacks her and the Rex has to defend herself.

Yes but Rex VS Spino is one infamous fight out of 5 or 6 that have turned out to be ok.

The context in Rex Spino was just terrible. Fans did not hate that they were watching 2 giant therapods go at it, what fans hated was that it was the exclamation point in the film establishing that the newcomer Spinosaurus species are so superior to the iconic T Rexes that they stand no chance despite establishing that the T Rexes were the greatest predators a film ago.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CT-1138
Dinosaur Fact File Curator
Dinosaur Fact File Curator
avatar

Posts : 553
Join date : 2012-04-06
Age : 24
Location : Chicago

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:22 pm

#TRexSpinorematch wrote:
@CT-1138 wrote:
Uhhhh.... 3 words: Spino vs T. rex

There's also the fact that the avengers battle in Jurassic Wor, Oh I mean the dino war, was so schlocky and cliched I saw every move coming minutes ahead of it happening. They tried turning JP in Marvel, and it shows. It tickles the inner 10 year old, because a 10 year old probably came up with it. I mean, this is a JP movie, not a child playing with their toys. That's not how animals fight. They have a big build up and a disappointingly anti-climactic ending. It's not some drawn out super-fight. Though, I will say, I do not and never will consider the T. rex on Raptor action in the first movie a "fight". It's simply T. rex preying on a smaller carnivore. She's even bent over the Raptor carcass about to eat like she was over the Gallimimus when the other Raptor attacks her and the Rex has to defend herself.

Yes but Rex VS Spino is one infamous fight out of 5 or 6 that have turned out to be ok.

The context in Rex Spino was just terrible. Fans did not hate that they were watching 2 giant therapods go at it, what fans hated was that it was the exclamation point in the film establishing that the newcomer Spinosaurus species are so superior to the iconic T Rexes that they stand no chance despite establishing that the T Rexes were the greatest predators a film ago.
5 or 6? There's been like 2 and a half. Predation fights don't count. I'm talking true fights. Like Spino VS T. rex or the T. rex VS the iRex, where it's an all out brawl for no real given reason other than it just looks cool. The half comes from the fact that we never do see the ending of the the Raptor on Raptor tussle.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://abekowalski.deviantart.com/
#TRexSpinorematch
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
avatar

Posts : 102
Join date : 2017-05-28

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:27 pm

@Tyrant Lizard wrote:


Add to that the fact that a lot of the fans do have a particular dinosaur that they absolutely adore/fangasm over, and if that particular dinosaur happens to get the short end of the stick, it could potentially alienate people. JP3 is the perfect example of that.

Well taking into account both the general public and hardcore fans... The only 2 Dinosaurs that are really adored like that and have a huge fanbase that treats them like icons are the T Rex and the Velociraptor (Because the although the Spino has a few fans they are a very small minority within the very hardcore fanbase, the general public either hates or is indifferent to the Spino). And even then...

I have never seen a Raptor fan feeling alienated because Rexy tossed the raptors like nothing in Jurassic Park.

Neither have I seen an Ankylosaurus fan being mad when the Indominus took them out like nothing.

There has only been one moment in the franchise that caused deep resentment so far.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tyrant Lizard
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
avatar

Posts : 450
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 27
Location : Vancouver, Canada

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:35 pm

It's funny. We keep discussing our wants for the next film, when in actuality, the studio/film makers really have no need to appease the hardcore fanbase.

Comparatively speaking, franchises such as Star Wars and Marvel have much larger hardcore fanbases then JP, and yet from a financial standpoint, JW was more successful than any superhero film ever made. That's almost entirely because of the casual/GA.

Regardless of how any of us may feel, it makes the most sense from a financial standpoint to do whatever it takes to appeal to casual audiences, rather than bend to the whims of a comparatively small hardcore fan base.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus
avatar

Posts : 2374
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:47 pm

@Tyrant Lizard wrote:
It's funny. We keep discussing our wants for the next film, when in actuality, the studio/film makers really have no need to appease the hardcore fanbase.

Comparatively speaking, franchises such as Star Wars and Marvel have much larger hardcore fanbases then JP, and yet from a financial standpoint, JW was more successful than any superhero film ever made.  That's almost entirely because of the casual/GA.

Regardless of how any of us may feel, it makes the most sense from a financial standpoint to do whatever it takes to appeal to casual audiences, rather than bend to the whims of a comparatively small hardcore fan base.

I think that if Universal had seized the opportunity and made the Jurassic Park franchise bigger during the 1990's and tried to do it during the dead period and right now, then the true fanbase would be much larger.

With that being said, JPL had well over 10,000 members by the time it shut down. And Jurassic Park: The Group (via Facebook), has 15, 735 members. I think that the fanbase is larger then what many think. Also, don't discount the outrage of a small but dedicated fanbase. Just ask Sony and Paramount why sequels for Godzilla 1998 and The Last Airbender never got made.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Herrerasaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
avatar

Posts : 113
Join date : 2017-05-25

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:50 pm

Well from comments from colin and Bayona, i'm under the impression that they do want to make a better film and one that is closer to the sensibilities of the first one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dance2nite
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
avatar

Posts : 300
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 24
Location : Melbourne, Australia

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:52 pm

Colin did say this film follows JP's formula rather than JW's & has said multiple times the film's biggest action sequence is in the middle not the end so I doubt its Rexy vs the World again & if there is a fight involving her in the middle on the island we know she survives & gets off the island thanks to spoilers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sickle_Claw
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 702
Join date : 2012-04-07

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:11 pm

@dance2nite wrote:
Colin did say this film follows JP's formula rather than JW's & has said multiple times the film's biggest action sequence is in the middle not the end so I doubt its Rexy vs the World again & if there is a fight involving her in the middle on the island we know she survives & gets off the island thanks to spoilers.

Well the big action sequence is probably

Spoiler:
 

I do believe that Rexy will have a showdown, but yeah this time I would say its more Blue's movie. If at least.....


Spoiler:
 

_______________
Read my Story Jurassic Park: Chaos Theory!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tyrant Lizard
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
avatar

Posts : 450
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 27
Location : Vancouver, Canada

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:16 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@Tyrant Lizard wrote:
It's funny. We keep discussing our wants for the next film, when in actuality, the studio/film makers really have no need to appease the hardcore fanbase.

Comparatively speaking, franchises such as Star Wars and Marvel have much larger hardcore fanbases then JP, and yet from a financial standpoint, JW was more successful than any superhero film ever made.  That's almost entirely because of the casual/GA.

Regardless of how any of us may feel, it makes the most sense from a financial standpoint to do whatever it takes to appeal to casual audiences, rather than bend to the whims of a comparatively small hardcore fan base.

I think that if Universal had seized the opportunity and made the Jurassic Park franchise bigger during the 1990's and tried to do it during the dead period and right now, then the true fanbase would be much larger.

With that being said, JPL had well over 10,000 members by the time it shut down. And Jurassic Park: The Group (via Facebook), has 15, 735 members. I think that the fanbase is larger then what many think. Also, don't discount the outrage of a small but dedicated fanbase. Just ask Sony and Paramount why sequels for Godzilla 1998 and The Last Airbender never got made.

Yeah, but how many of those users were actually active? It's one thing to create an account on a whim, it's another thing to contribute consistently to said forum. I'm a member of several forums dedicated to things that I'm only a casual fan of because I created those accounts on a whim. When it comes to general conversation with people outside of the fandom, my experience is that JP is almost never discussed.

Also, I imagine that if you appease the GA to the point where a film can be considered financially successful, the outrage a small, dedicated fandom all of the sudden seems a lot less important to the studio execs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NolaJP
Hatchling
Hatchling
avatar

Posts : 42
Join date : 2017-06-23

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:35 pm

@Tyrant Lizard wrote:
It's funny. We keep discussing our wants for the next film, when in actuality, the studio/film makers really have no need to appease the hardcore fanbase.

Comparatively speaking, franchises such as Star Wars and Marvel have much larger hardcore fanbases then JP, and yet from a financial standpoint, JW was more successful than any superhero film ever made.  That's almost entirely because of the casual/GA.

Regardless of how any of us may feel, it makes the most sense from a financial standpoint to do whatever it takes to appeal to casual audiences, rather than bend to the whims of a comparatively small hardcore fan base.

Well said. It's really pretty simple. There isn't a person alive who didn't love dinosaurs as a child. That's a bit of an overstatement, but it's largely true. That makes a dinosaur movie have a much larger net to cast when it comes to the general public. Marvel and Star Wars simply don't have such an advantage, but do have much larger fan bases.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
#TRexSpinorematch
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
avatar

Posts : 102
Join date : 2017-05-28

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:44 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@Tyrant Lizard wrote:
It's funny. We keep discussing our wants for the next film, when in actuality, the studio/film makers really have no need to appease the hardcore fanbase.

Comparatively speaking, franchises such as Star Wars and Marvel have much larger hardcore fanbases then JP, and yet from a financial standpoint, JW was more successful than any superhero film ever made.  That's almost entirely because of the casual/GA.

Regardless of how any of us may feel, it makes the most sense from a financial standpoint to do whatever it takes to appeal to casual audiences, rather than bend to the whims of a comparatively small hardcore fan base.

I think that if Universal had seized the opportunity and made the Jurassic Park franchise bigger during the 1990's and tried to do it during the dead period and right now, then the true fanbase would be much larger.

With that being said, JPL had well over 10,000 members by the time it shut down. And Jurassic Park: The Group (via Facebook), has 15, 735 members. I think that the fanbase is larger then what many think. Also, don't discount the outrage of a small but dedicated fanbase. Just ask Sony and Paramount why sequels for Godzilla 1998 and The Last Airbender never got made.

And the Jurassic World Facebook page has close to 8 million likes. So I would say that the Jurassic Park fanbase is much bigger than it seems.

It only looks not so large because there was that period from 2002 to 2014 where almost nothing Jurassic Park related happened besided one videogame and 2 or 3 comics.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sickle_Claw
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 702
Join date : 2012-04-07

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:44 pm

Well Rhedo is right about Jurassic Park the groups on fb having a lot of active members. Im an admin on that group and my phone goes off every 10 minutes about someone wanting to post something on there. 15 thousand people...

_______________
Read my Story Jurassic Park: Chaos Theory!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Troyal1
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus
avatar

Posts : 779
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:09 pm

I'm not trying to downplay 15 thousand people but you guys know that is still extremely small compared to the GA made of millions...... I don't like it either but I'm just saying. 

Im scared that universal again has gotten the wrong message though. They see that people like the fight at the end of JW. But I'm scared they think that's what people want to see the most, and more of it. Lots more of it. That's what scares me. I think JW's fight could have been done a lot different, and still received an equal amount of praise. 

I like the fight, but the problem I draw with it in particular is the Rex coming out for the fight. They could have played it a little more slow and realistic, have the Rex and Irex contemplate each other for a bit and build up tension and then the Irex goes in first. I dislike the way Blue comes in at slow motion and I still don't really like blue jumping from back to back. And of course the way Rexy and blue look at each other. 

I think Max Landis said it best when he described the fight in JW as almost as if a small child was telling you a story "And then this happened, and then and THEN". It just escalates so quick and it's so grandiose with so many players. I swear I like the scene but it's where I think a lot of the Marvel comparisons come in at. Also I think the film feels more like a Marvel film in tone overall, as many movies do now(more popular and different time).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Troyal1
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus
avatar

Posts : 779
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:45 pm

On another tone entirely. I hope Lockwood is a character who gets lots of screen time and is well developed, with interesting motivations besides "let's take animals and sell them!!!. Money!!". 

I'm hoping there is more depth to it. Again assuming he's the villain and assuming that's what the purpose of the expedition is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sickle_Claw
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 702
Join date : 2012-04-07

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:48 pm

@Troyal1 wrote:
On another tone entirely. I hope Lockwood is a character who gets lots of screen time and is well developed, with interesting motivations besides "let's take animals and sell them!!!. Money!!". 

I'm hoping there is more depth to it. Again assuming he's the villain and assuming that's what the purpose of the expedition is.

Well Im guessing that depth is...well remember how he wasnt mentioned in TLW or JP? Yet he apparently made the dinosaurs with Hammond? Maybe there was a falling out and this is a revenge plan 20 years in the making.

_______________
Read my Story Jurassic Park: Chaos Theory!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Herrerasaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
avatar

Posts : 113
Join date : 2017-05-25

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:25 am

I remember the actor that plays Lockwood mentioned a scene where Bayano asked him to cry. That gives me the impression that he may end up being sympathetic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sickle_Claw
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 702
Join date : 2012-04-07

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:30 am

@Herrerasaurus wrote:
I remember the actor that plays Lockwood mentioned a scene where Bayano asked him to cry. That gives me the impression that he may end up being sympathetic.

Thinking Lucy is his grand daughter. There is a lot of evidence pointing to the fact that lucy only has mainland scenes so maybe something that he causes ends up putting her life in danger.

_______________
Read my Story Jurassic Park: Chaos Theory!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Herrerasaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
avatar

Posts : 113
Join date : 2017-05-25

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:35 am

@Sickle_Claw wrote:
@Herrerasaurus wrote:
I remember the actor that plays Lockwood mentioned a scene where Bayano asked him to cry. That gives me the impression that he may end up being sympathetic.

Thinking Lucy is his grand daughter. There is a lot of evidence pointing to the fact that lucy only has mainland scenes so maybe something that he causes ends up putting her life in danger.
Yea i was thinking along those lines too. His connection to lucy could help him have more depth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sickle_Claw
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 702
Join date : 2012-04-07

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:37 am

@Herrerasaurus wrote:
@Sickle_Claw wrote:
@Herrerasaurus wrote:
I remember the actor that plays Lockwood mentioned a scene where Bayano asked him to cry. That gives me the impression that he may end up being sympathetic.

Thinking Lucy is his grand daughter. There is a lot of evidence pointing to the fact that lucy only has mainland scenes so maybe something that he causes ends up putting her life in danger.
Yea i was thinking along those lines too. His connection to lucy could help him have more depth.

Basically this. And I think whats gonna go down something to the effect of....

Spoiler:
 

_______________
Read my Story Jurassic Park: Chaos Theory!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Herrerasaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
avatar

Posts : 113
Join date : 2017-05-25

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:22 am

@Sickle_Claw wrote:
@Herrerasaurus wrote:
@Sickle_Claw wrote:
@Herrerasaurus wrote:
I remember the actor that plays Lockwood mentioned a scene where Bayano asked him to cry. That gives me the impression that he may end up being sympathetic.

Thinking Lucy is his grand daughter. There is a lot of evidence pointing to the fact that lucy only has mainland scenes so maybe something that he causes ends up putting her life in danger.
Yea i was thinking along those lines too. His connection to lucy could help him have more depth.

Basically this. And I think whats gonna go down something to the effect of....

Spoiler:
 
Things really do seem to be going that way. I wonder if we'll get another nick van owen type of situation in that event.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dance2nite
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
avatar

Posts : 300
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 24
Location : Melbourne, Australia

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:02 am

Or Lockwood could be crying as his wife (Geraldine Chaplin) is killed/injured? I also have wondered how the Dinosaurs get loose this time at the manor? Who lets them out or do they break out themselves?scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
#TRexSpinorematch
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
avatar

Posts : 102
Join date : 2017-05-28

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:26 am

@Tyrant Lizard wrote:
It's funny. We keep discussing our wants for the next film, when in actuality, the studio/film makers really have no need to appease the hardcore fanbase.

Comparatively speaking, franchises such as Star Wars and Marvel have much larger hardcore fanbases then JP, and yet from a financial standpoint, JW was more successful than any superhero film ever made.  That's almost entirely because of the casual/GA.

Regardless of how any of us may feel, it makes the most sense from a financial standpoint to do whatever it takes to appeal to casual audiences, rather than bend to the whims of a comparatively small hardcore fan base.

If anything, they should look to appease the hardcore fanbase even more. Because after all, it is us hardcore fans the ones who really love and care about what is done with the franchise. We are the ones who will continue to by Jurassic Park related stuff regardless of how prominent the franchise is.

On the other hand, the general moviegoer will only watch the film once, not care too much about the details and just move on and forget about it in a few days.

By the way, everything looks not so big when compared to Star Wars. Star Wars is like the Michael Jordan of film franchises. It is the unquestioned biggest and most popular thing in pop culture.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
V.a.nublarensis
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
avatar

Posts : 108
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 15

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:12 am

#TRexSpinorematch wrote:

If anything, they should look to appease the hardcore fanbase even more. Because after all, it is us hardcore fans the ones who really love and care about what is done with the franchise. We are the ones who will continue to by Jurassic Park related stuff regardless of how prominent the franchise is.

On the other hand, the general moviegoer will only watch the film once, not care too much about the details and just move on and forget about it in a few days.

By the way, everything looks not so big when compared to Star Wars. Star Wars is like the Michael Jordan of film franchises. It is the unquestioned biggest and most popular thing in pop culture.
Yeah, no. Contrary to what we probably like to think, we hardcore fans collectively don't actually know what we want. And what we want might not even be best for the franchise.

Everything looks small compared to Star Wars, but that's not saying much.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
#TRexSpinorematch
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
avatar

Posts : 102
Join date : 2017-05-28

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:42 am

@V.a.nublarensis wrote:
#TRexSpinorematch wrote:

If anything, they should look to appease the hardcore fanbase even more. Because after all, it is us hardcore fans the ones who really love and care about what is done with the franchise. We are the ones who will continue to by Jurassic Park related stuff regardless of how prominent the franchise is.

On the other hand, the general moviegoer will only watch the film once, not care too much about the details and just move on and forget about it in a few days.

By the way, everything looks not so big when compared to Star Wars. Star Wars is like the Michael Jordan of film franchises. It is the unquestioned biggest and most popular thing in pop culture.
Yeah, no. Contrary to what we probably like to think, we hardcore fans collectively don't actually know what we want. And what we want might not even be best for the franchise.

Everything looks small compared to Star Wars, but that's not saying much.

Oh trust me, I have been a fan of this franchise for over 20 years, and I know for a fact that hardcore fans do know what they want very well.

Ask them, they will tell you. You will usually get answers like, Dodgson, Biosyn, return of original characters, more Dilophosaurus, more herbivore action sequences, introduction of new species, keeping the playing with science theme very prominent, no feathers on classic iconic species, the rematch ext...

But make no mistake about it, they are all very very clear and about what they want and they will tell you very quickly the reasons why.

Where do you get that idea that hardcore fans are all unsure of what they would like to see?

Now what´s best or worst for the franchise are very relative and subjective terms. Some feel that the best for the franchise was to end it with The Lost World since it seemed that anything beyond that was unnecessary. While others feel that the franchise needs to be expanded in many ways. So there is no such thing as the correct way to do what´s best. It´s all one persons interpretation. Neither is right or wrong.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus
avatar

Posts : 2374
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:11 am

#TRexSpinorematch wrote:
It only looks not so large because there was that period from 2002 to 2014 where almost nothing Jurassic Park related happened besided one videogame and 2 or 3 comics.

Actually 2 video games. JP:OG and JP:TG.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sickle_Claw
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 702
Join date : 2012-04-07

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:40 pm

Sabotoge confirmed?

https://twitter.com/reelnewshawaii/status/880540430764343297

Explosion at the Nublar docks.

Could either a chunk of lava or someone really wants to make sure that they have the only boat off the island?

Could this be proof of the sabotoge plot? Ie, once Daniella/other hunters get the dinos on the boat, they turn the guns on owen/claire and tell them to find another way off if they dont want to go along with the lockwood plot?

_______________
Read my Story Jurassic Park: Chaos Theory!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus
avatar

Posts : 2374
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:51 pm

@Sickle_Claw wrote:
Sabotoge confirmed?

https://twitter.com/reelnewshawaii/status/880540430764343297

Explosion at the Nublar docks.

Could either a chunk of lava or someone really wants to make sure that they have the only boat off the island?

Could this be proof of the sabotoge plot? Ie, once Daniella/other hunters get the dinos on the boat, they turn the guns on owen/claire and tell them to find another way off if they dont want to go along with the lockwood plot?

The only question is, who's doing it? Lockwood or another company/Biosyn?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sickle_Claw
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 702
Join date : 2012-04-07

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:08 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@Sickle_Claw wrote:
Sabotoge confirmed?

https://twitter.com/reelnewshawaii/status/880540430764343297

Explosion at the Nublar docks.

Could either a chunk of lava or someone really wants to make sure that they have the only boat off the island?

Could this be proof of the sabotoge plot? Ie, once Daniella/other hunters get the dinos on the boat, they turn the guns on owen/claire and tell them to find another way off if they dont want to go along with the lockwood plot?

The only question is, who's doing it? Lockwood or another company/Biosyn?

Yeah. There is a listing for a 'lockwood mercenary' on iMDB. I think I posted it in this thread a few days ago.

_______________
Read my Story Jurassic Park: Chaos Theory!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus
avatar

Posts : 2374
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:16 pm

@Sickle_Claw wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@Sickle_Claw wrote:
Sabotoge confirmed?

https://twitter.com/reelnewshawaii/status/880540430764343297

Explosion at the Nublar docks.

Could either a chunk of lava or someone really wants to make sure that they have the only boat off the island?

Could this be proof of the sabotoge plot? Ie, once Daniella/other hunters get the dinos on the boat, they turn the guns on owen/claire and tell them to find another way off if they dont want to go along with the lockwood plot?

The only question is, who's doing it? Lockwood or another company/Biosyn?

Yeah. There is a listing for a 'lockwood mercenary' on iMDB. I think I posted it in this thread a few days ago.

It's most likely one of those Ingen paramilitary guys. The kind that was supposed to take down I. rex.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Herrerasaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
avatar

Posts : 113
Join date : 2017-05-25

PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:46 pm

Hmm i wonder if they would still consider themselves part of ingen. Like was wu and hoskins secretly working for another company/lockwood that will be known in this film or will we still get ingen in this film.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: General Jurassic World 2 News Thread   

Back to top Go down
 
General Jurassic World 2 News Thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom Dinosaur List
» The Official 'Man Of Steel' Non-News Thread
» The General Tolkien News Thread
» 'Iron Man 3' News Thread
» Quick/Debris[Junk-Doppel]Dandy-Draw

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Jurassic Mainframe Boards :: The Franchise :: Film Universe :: JW: Fallen Kingdom News-
Jump to: