Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

Owen Gradys character and status as a protagonist.

Go down 
+7
TRK/TrexKing
V.a.nublarensis
Océane
Troyal1
Tyrant Lizard
Spinosaur4.4
Sickle_Claw
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran
Sickle_Claw

Owen Gradys character and status as a protagonist. Empty
PostSubject: Owen Gradys character and status as a protagonist.   Owen Gradys character and status as a protagonist. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 29, 2017 9:20 pm

So in the past few days I've seen a lot of debate here about Owens character and his suitability to be named as the 'protagonist' of this franchise. So what do you guys think? Personally I felt his character was under developed a lot... there was no reason for his character to have as much authority/access to the control room either. I mean he's basically a animal trainer and all that. I get it they tried to make him look cool but at the cost of Claire's character in marketing.

Veteran
Veteran
Spinosaur4.4

PostSubject: Re: Owen Gradys character and status as a protagonist.   Owen Gradys character and status as a protagonist. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 29, 2017 9:22 pm

He's futile, full of himself, arrogant, and makes lame jokes.

Sorry I'm butthurt.

Former JPL member, Spinosaur4.4.

Owen Gradys character and status as a protagonist. LYHX0zA
Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: Owen Gradys character and status as a protagonist.   Owen Gradys character and status as a protagonist. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 29, 2017 11:31 pm

His character was pretty generic. Claire is certainly the true protagonist.

That being said, Chris Pratt does have a ton of charisma, which kinda saved his character in JW. Hopefully steps are taken to expand upon on humanize his character a bit in FK.

Owen Gradys character and status as a protagonist. Jpbann10
Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: Owen Gradys character and status as a protagonist.   Owen Gradys character and status as a protagonist. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 30, 2017 1:02 am

Tyrant Lizard wrote:
His character was pretty generic. Claire is certainly the true protagonist.

That being said, Chris Pratt does have a ton of charisma, which kinda saved his character in JW. Hopefully steps are taken to expand upon on humanize his character a bit in FK.

It's funny that the best " pro feminist" character in some time was a character that wasn't forced upon us like a walking political agenda.

"You mean she's actually a real 3 dimensional person with flaws and character development?" -other studios.

Gee I wonder how letting a character feel like a real person worked? Wow/sarcasm).

Other studios should take note because Claire stole the show. I was a Claire hater on JPL but I've really come to appreciate her development and subtleties.

Owen is cool. But he needs work imo.
Back to top Go down
Océane
Océane

PostSubject: Re: Owen Gradys character and status as a protagonist.   Owen Gradys character and status as a protagonist. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 30, 2017 9:35 pm

Considering he has no character arc because he's portrayed as already knowing enough to survive, no.

Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: Owen Gradys character and status as a protagonist.   Owen Gradys character and status as a protagonist. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 30, 2017 11:51 pm

The need to give pratt more of a backstory in the new film. Maybe a weakness he has.

Or just do something more than "I'm a cool Dino guy who knows most everything "

Pratt is awesome and he has good scenes. More can be done with the character.
Back to top Go down
V.a.nublarensis
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
V.a.nublarensis

PostSubject: Re: Owen Gradys character and status as a protagonist.   Owen Gradys character and status as a protagonist. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 31, 2017 3:00 am

I went into the movie thinking he was the main character, and couldn't wait to see him in action as a well-developed action lead.

I went out of the movie thinking he was a pretty generic action hero, and was surprised to see that Claire is the proper main character.
Back to top Go down
TRK/TrexKing
Administrator
Administrator
TRK/TrexKing

PostSubject: Re: Owen Gradys character and status as a protagonist.   Owen Gradys character and status as a protagonist. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 31, 2017 5:09 am

Troyal1 wrote:
The need to give pratt more of a backstory in the new film. Maybe a weakness he has.

Or just do something more than "I'm a cool Dino guy who knows most everything "

Pratt is awesome and he has good scenes. More can be done with the character.

Grady's weakness in my opinion was established as the Raptor Squad and the Animals and now Claire.

Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: Owen Gradys character and status as a protagonist.   Owen Gradys character and status as a protagonist. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 31, 2017 10:47 am

Side note: I find it interesting that BDH seems to be the one taking the reigns in terms of the actors promoting the film. She's even interested in dinosaurs outside of the JP universe. I was pleasantly surprised to see her tweeting about Sue being moved to make room for the Titanosaurus at the Field Museum.

Just an observation.

Owen Gradys character and status as a protagonist. Jpbann10
Back to top Go down
Herrerasaurus
Ankylosaurus
Ankylosaurus
Herrerasaurus

PostSubject: Re: Owen Gradys character and status as a protagonist.   Owen Gradys character and status as a protagonist. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 09, 2017 7:58 pm

Colin made it clear that bryce was the main protagonist that will have the most arcs in each movie but i think he said owen would get development too in the sequels
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Owen Gradys character and status as a protagonist.   Owen Gradys character and status as a protagonist. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 09, 2017 9:38 pm

Herrerasaurus wrote:
Colin made it clear that bryce was the main protagonist that will have the most arcs in each movie but i think he said owen would get development too in the sequels

That's mainly due to necessity. Remember, Chris Pratt was also taking part in the filming of Avengers: Infinity War so they didn't have a choice but to give Bryce Dallas Howard more screen time.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
Herrerasaurus
Ankylosaurus
Ankylosaurus
Herrerasaurus

PostSubject: Re: Owen Gradys character and status as a protagonist.   Owen Gradys character and status as a protagonist. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 10, 2017 12:38 am

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Herrerasaurus wrote:

That's mainly due to necessity. Remember, Chris Pratt was also taking part in the filming of Avengers: Infinity War so they didn't have a choice but to give Bryce Dallas Howard more screen time.
We don't know for sure if that effected things. Colin said from the beginning that claire was the main protagonist.
Also here is an interesting quote colin had to say about claire and owen's character development "We know Owen is going to be in it and Claire will be in it and neither will be in the same place that we left them in this movie. Even though Claire is the one who evolves the most over the trilogy, it’s her story that mirrors this changing world, Owen has s**t to deal with. The two of them opened Pandora’s Box in Jurassic World and each of them are responsible for different elements of it in different ways, and I think the way that these characters are connected to the circumstances of what’s happening it’s different than the previous films. It’s not ‘Let’s manufacture a way to get them somewhere,’ they’re embedded into it now in a way that as story tellers makes it much easier for us to keep them involved and doesn’t feel as contrived." got it from: http://screenrant.com/jurassic-world-director-trilogy-plans/
Back to top Go down
Dr. Wu
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Wu

PostSubject: Re: Owen Gradys character and status as a protagonist.   Owen Gradys character and status as a protagonist. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 10, 2017 1:10 am

I like Owen but besides the fact he "trained" raptors there was nothing really interesting about the character.

He was fun to watch but Claire was just more interesting. Hopefully the character will evolve in Fallen Kingdom.

Triceratops
Triceratops
Six-Foot Turkey

PostSubject: Re: Owen Gradys character and status as a protagonist.   Owen Gradys character and status as a protagonist. Icon_minitimeSun Sep 17, 2017 6:46 pm

I think him and the Raptors had cool scenes. He had control of them, then lost it. Could've done more, though.
Back to top Go down
Herrerasaurus
Ankylosaurus
Ankylosaurus
Herrerasaurus

PostSubject: Re: Owen Gradys character and status as a protagonist.   Owen Gradys character and status as a protagonist. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 12:12 am

I always saw Jurassic world as an introduction to his character. Showing us his basic qualities and quirks. Colin makes seem like he will continue to develop as this trilogy progresses. Bryce is the real main protagonist.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Owen Gradys character and status as a protagonist.   Owen Gradys character and status as a protagonist. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Owen Gradys character and status as a protagonist.
Page 1 of 1