Don't worry, Ian. I'm not making the same mistakes again! est 2016.

HomeMainframeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

General Movie Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:51 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Since I have not seen the original Wedding Crashers, I have no strong feelings one way or the other. But I can say this; in the last five years how many belated sequels to beloved comedies have actually done well with audiences and critics?

As for the Stargate reboot cancellation, thank God. It seems that some good did manage to emerge from the failure of ID4: Resurgence; especially since the whole reboot train on the whole really needs to start slowing down, and Devlin and Emmerich were going to scrap the whole original continuity and replace it one that would have no doubt been much lamer. That isn't to say another writer/producer can't come in and revive the series without rebooting it sometime in the future, but it's very clear to me that Emmerich is not the entertainer he used to be.

Emmerich's career has been crippled ever since his notorious 1998 take on Godzilla. Yes, he still has a career, but nobody ever trusted him with a big name franchise since. Come to think of it, Paul Feig has suffered to same thing too. In total fairness, when one considers how he said no to making GB2016 the first 3 times at least he knew it might damage his career. And even if he didn't, at least he really believed in what he was doing. Emmerich never cared about the Godzilla franchise at all, except as something to make money off of, and it clearly showed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:21 pm

There is going to be an 'Escape From New York' prequel that will be made.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spinosaur4.4
Triceratops
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:08 am

First War for the Planet of the Apes trailer drops today. So excited!! My most wanted movie for 2017!

While we don't get the trailer, here's first 3 images from the movie:

Spoiler:

Woody Harrelson's character looks so badass, and Caesar looks so furious, you can see on his face.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:48 pm

The Sony mother corporation is trying to save it's failing movie division, but not in the way you think. They are considering placing it under the gaming division which is far, far, far superior in every way possible.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Triceratops
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:07 pm

Because if there's anything that Sony's movies need to be more like, it's video games and not, you know, movies!! Right??

Seriously Sony, just sell off Columbia Pictures and Tristar (together) off to Lionsgate or some other studio, those little nuggets of intellectual properties like Spider-Man, Jumanji and Starship Troopers will probably be better serviced there. Heck you could probably get a nice chunk of cash by just selling Spidey over to Marvel and Disney.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:19 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Because if there's anything that Sony's movies need to be more like, it's video games and not, you know, movies!! Right??

Seriously Sony, just sell off Columbia Pictures and Tristar (together) off to Lionsgate or some other studio, those little nuggets of intellectual properties like Spider-Man, Jumanji and Starship Troopers will probably be better serviced there. Heck you could probably get a nice chunk of cash by just selling Spidey over to Marvel and Disney.

Not only that, but did you see the new Midnight's Edge about Amy Schumer's Barbie movie. I wish I can post the link, but I'm on a demonstrator laptop so I can't do that for some reason. It's really morbidly interesting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Triceratops
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:56 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:

Not only that, but did you see the new Midnight's Edge about Amy Schumer's Barbie movie. I wish I can post the link, but I'm on a demonstrator laptop so I can't do that for some reason. It's really morbidly interesting.

I did see that video, and not only was it fascinating (especially the history of the Barbie doll, it's original concept and how it's evolved over the years), but some of the movie ideas suggested sounded completely insane like the Barbie/He-Man crossover that would have surely put off fans of both franchises. Only one of them sounded kinda decent (the one with Margot Robbie being circled to play the titular role), but in typical Sony fashion any potentially worthwhile film ideas were crushed under 10 tons of idiotic studio bureaucracy and mismanagement. Between Amy Pascal and Tom Rothman it's amazing how the studio isn't completely finished yet
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:07 pm

Looks like Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence's new movie, Passengers, has flopped.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:18 pm

Lionsgate will making a live action Naruto movie.

I'm amazed that people still haven't learned that live action anime movies don't turn out well. I know that it's impossible to do worse then 'The Last Airbender', and things can only go up from there...But even so, that's not saying much. :/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:38 pm

Update on Passengers

It's made just under $30.5 million.

I knew that it did poorly, but never this bad. I heard that Chris Pratt was one of the few good things about the movie. I feel actually feel bad for him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Triceratops
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:43 pm

Lawrence's name-brand is really starting to go in decline, and I say let it rot! She's not as good an actress or sincere a person as people think she is!

Chris will probably bounce back as a fan-favourite with GotG Vol. 2, and he will probably be a welcome presence and solid action hero in Jurassic World 2. Apart from some butt-hurt SJWs or fickle fanboys, nobody's really gotten sick of Chris Pratt and they will probably be happy to see him in other films after Passengers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:01 pm

I'm just surprised that it did worse then the Assassin's Creed movie. I expected it to be the other way around considering how the notorious history of video game movies. (I love Super Mario Bros. since it's my favorite "It's so bad, it's good" movie, but even I can't deny that it's one of the dumbest movies, if not THE dumbest movie in the history of film.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:57 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Lawrence's name-brand is really starting to go in decline, and I say let it rot! She's not as good an actress or sincere a person as people think she is!

Chris will probably bounce back as a fan-favourite with GotG Vol. 2, and he will probably be a welcome presence and solid action hero in Jurassic World 2. Apart from some butt-hurt SJWs or fickle fanboys, nobody's really gotten sick of Chris Pratt and they will probably be happy to see him in other films after Passengers.

It didnt look that good to begin with.

http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:56 am

Scarlett Johansson is the highest paid actress/actor in Hollywood of this year.

So much for the whole 'women don't get paid as much as men in Hollywood' talking point.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:51 am

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Scarlett Johansson is the highest paid actress/actor in Hollywood of this year.

So much for the whole 'women don't get paid as much as men in Hollywood' talking point.

I didn't look at the actual article, but does that relate to how much work she's done this year? I feel like she was 3 or 4 big movies this year. (And now I've IMDB'd it, and she was a voice in Jungle Book and Sing!, and then live-action roles in Hail, Caeser! , and Captain America.). She's probably the actress I see working the most consistently lately, so it makes sense.

"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:41 pm

They're trying to say that the box office totals of 2 movies (that she happened to have a part in) is the reason why she made 1 billion this year, they didnt include what SHE made personally. SO yeah, it's a clickbait article with no facts as to how she's worth a billion dollars this year.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Triceratops
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:38 pm

With the year almost finished, I thought I would round off my top ten films of 2016 and inject some positivity before the year officially sods off.

10. Star Wars: Rogue One
9. Deadpool
8. Star Trek: Beyond
7. Hunt for the Wilderpeople
6. Zootopia
5. Kubo & The Two Strings
4. A Monster Calls
3. The Jungle Book
2. The Nice Guys
1. Arrival

Understandably, three of these films have Jurassic Park/World connections. Rogue One/Star Trek Beyond have Giacchino composing the scores, 'Wilderpeople' has Sam Neill his best character since Alan Grant, and finally J.A. Bayona's A Monster Calls officially ended any shred of doubt I might have had for Bayona directing the next Jurassic film, I can safely say that he is the director who can deal a well-earned emotional journey that I the JW sequel can and hopefully will benefit from.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dance2nite
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:43 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
With the year almost finished, I thought I would round off my top ten films of 2016 and inject some positivity before the year officially sods off.

9. Deadpool
6. Zootopia
4. A Monster Calls
3. The Jungle Book
2. The Nice Guys
1. Arrival

Understandably, three of these films have Jurassic Park/World connections. Rogue One/Star Trek Beyond have Giacchino composing the scores, 'Wilderpeople' has Sam Neill his best character since Alan Grant, and finally J.A. Bayona's A Monster Calls officially ended any shred of doubt I might have had for Bayona directing the next Jurassic film, I can safely say that he is the director who can deal a well-earned emotional journey that I the JW sequel can and hopefully will benefit from.

What did u think of A Monster Calls? Rate out of 10? I haven't seen it yet, doesn't come out here till March! Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Triceratops
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:08 pm

dance2nite wrote:
BarrytheOnyx wrote:

9. Deadpool
6. Zootopia
4. A Monster Calls
3. The Jungle Book
2. The Nice Guys
1. Arrival

What did u think of A Monster Calls? Rate out of 10? I haven't seen it yet, doesn't come out here till March! Sad

I would personally rate it a 9/10; a really strong film visually and musically, a lot of characters whom you feel sympathy for, as well as plenty of surprises and great storytelling. The beginning was a bit rocky though, and it takes a few minutes before it finds its footing and gradually builds up to be a truly great film.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:56 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:

9. Deadpool
6. Zootopia
4. A Monster Calls
3. The Jungle Book
2. The Nice Guys
1. Arrival

I'm a little surprised that Captain America: Civil War isn't on your list.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dance2nite
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:17 am

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
dance2nite wrote:
BarrytheOnyx wrote:

9. Deadpool
6. Zootopia
4. A Monster Calls
3. The Jungle Book
2. The Nice Guys
1. Arrival

I would personally rate it a 9/10; a really strong film visually and musically, a lot of characters whom you feel sympathy for, as well as plenty of surprises and great storytelling. The beginning was a bit rocky though, and it takes a few minutes before it finds its footing and gradually builds up to be a truly great film.

Awesome, cannot wait to see it!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Triceratops
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:30 am

Rhedosaurus wrote:

I'm a little surprised that Captain America: Civil War isn't on your list.

I'm not on the "hate bandwagon" that accompanies most Marvel releases at all, it has a lot of great aspects going for it, but it's flaws have stood out to me since first showing, namely that I found fault with both Tony and Cap, which is a real bummer because the last person in the MCU I would expect to compromise their values was Steve Rogers. I'm not going to go too deep into that. Long story short, I simply found ten movies that I consider better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:50 pm

Lindsay Lohan Says She’s Pushing For Mean Girls 2

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:11 pm

Dead2009 wrote:
Lindsay Lohan Says She’s Pushing For Mean Girls 2

Translation: I'm ready for my big comeback.

I just think that her career has been destroyed beyond repair. Granted, not all of it is her fault since she had shitty parents, but much it was. And given how Hollywood never really gives help to young actors/actresses, that didn't help. I'm surprised that she's even still alive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Island Queen
Embryo
Embryo

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:12 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:

I was thinking of going to Passengers, it's a good thing I opted against it, since it sounded similar to Contact (which I didn't care for either, having only seen it once), so it's really not my type of movie. I was so impressed with seeing the trailer for GotG Vol. 2 when I went to Rogue One that I went and bought the original on Blu-ray, even though I'm not that much into Superhero and/or Marvel movies (though I do watch Flash and Arrow on the CW. I loved that four series crossover a while back, although I don't watch Supergirl or Legends of Tomorrow that much). Even though I'm still not big on that dinosaurs on the mainland plot idea (I may never like it), I'll still go see Jurassic World 2, even if just out of curiousity. Who knows? I might like it as much as Jurassic World (I guess I'll find out soon enough). Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:02 am

The upcoming Barbie movie with Amy Schumer will be released the week after Jurassic World 2/Jurassic Park 5.

If it took 2-3 weeks for Insider Out to finally knock JW off the box office hill, then this movie has no hope at all. One would think that Tom Rothman would be smarter then this. I expect this from Amy Pascal, but not Rothman.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:44 am

I'm more of a TV series person (literally go through million hours per year) and once again only saw couple films that came out during the year. Nothing great though Little Sister was pretty solid.

Independence Day: Resurgence 4/10
Bad Santa II 6/10
The Neon Demon 6/10 (artsy fartsy end ruined it)
The Huntsman: Winter War 6/10
The Witch 7/10
Little Sister 8/10

Still want to see: Silence, Star Trek Beyond, Rogue One (only because "have to I guess"), Girl on the Train and Arrival.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:24 am

Anna Kendrick says that actors/actress are too privileged to talk about sexism.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:45 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:33 pm

Michael Lynton is no longer the CEO and Chairman of Sony Pictures.

I wonder if they'll promote Rothman to that position.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:34 pm

Michael Gross says that Tremors 6 will be made.

Hasn't this movie series been run to the ground already?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:02 pm

The creator of Black-ish is going to reboot "White Men Can't Jump".

Yes, folks. This is actually going to happen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Triceratops
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:42 pm

Frankly, I didn't even know a movie called "White Men Can't Jump" existed until now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:47 pm

Oh god.

Related reboot articles under that reboot article:

"Greg Berlanti’s Directing A LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS Remake"
"Walton Goggins Will Play The Villain In The TOMB RAIDER Reboot"
"Paul Verhoeven Says The STARSHIP TROOPERS Remake Should Fit Right In With A Trump Presidency"

Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Triceratops
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:54 pm

I noticed that RLM included Wonder Woman in their "Endless TRASH" clip/gif ... as if that movie needed more heat. No

Sure, I read that recent article saying it was "discombobulated", and given that Suicide and BvS were subject to meddling during and after production, but I am sick of this endless cycle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:57 pm

It's a comic book film so I don't care either way what happens with it. Except it's of course funnier to hear about it if/when it fails miserably.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:01 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
I noticed that RLM included Wonder Woman in their "Endless TRASH" clip/gif ... as if that movie needed more heat. No

Sure, I read that recent article saying it was "discombobulated", and given that Suicide and BvS were subject to meddling during and after production, but I am sick of this endless cycle.

I don't disagree that RLM gives the DCCU too much heat, but in fairness, WB does have have to carry a lot of that blame themselves considering how they rushed things.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Triceratops
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:11 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:

I don't disagree that RLM gives the DCCU too much heat, but in fairness, WB does have have to carry a lot of that blame themselves considering how they rushed things.

I'll give you that, they've built this pyre and this will be the year that determines whether it lights up and takes the DC Universe with it. If these rumours prove accurate but the film still makes money, it will ultimately bleed into Justice League and cause that film to potentially deflate and not be the $1 billion hit they want it to be. And the reason why I'm starting to believe it is because, as well as WB's poor track record, is because why would anyone fabricate a story like that?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:17 pm

Mistral wrote:
It's a comic book film so I don't care either way what happens with it. Except it's of course funnier to hear about it if/when it fails miserably.

We get it, you hate comic book movies, lol.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:25 pm

*sigh*

Patrick Stewart will voice the crap emoji in Sony's 'Emoji' movie.

Part of me wonders if he knows it will suck, but if he wants a 'President Koopa' experience where he is the best thing about the movie like Dennis Hopper was (and still is) with Super Mario Bros.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:22 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Michael Gross says that Tremors 6 will be made.

Hasn't this movie series been run to the ground already?

As a fan of the series, you'd be surprised. I mean, I can't say you'd like any of the sequels, but the most recent movie just came out last year, and it was actually really good. It dealt with a new variety of the Grabboids in Africa, and was really well done. The third sequel was just so-so, while the fourth is really forgettable as it is an old west prequel with mostly the same actors playing ancestors of the series characters. I'm just surprised their still moving forward with films, as Kevin Bacon is rebooting the series as a TV series as well. (There actually already was a Tremors TV series, taking place after the third Tremors film. It was short lived.)

"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:45 am

Sony is weighing a sale of film, TV business

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:43 pm

Dead2009 wrote:
Sony is weighing a sale of film, TV business

I can't help but wonder if Michael Lynton knew about this before he quit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dance2nite
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:01 pm

Just saw "A Monster Calls", beautiful touching fantasy film, 8/10

Cannot wait to See Bayona's touch on Jurassic even more now... Cool

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:15 pm

Anthony G. Cohen is going to direct the reboot of 'Every Which Way But Loose.'

Daisy Ridley is going to play the American spy Virginia Hall in a movie adaptation of "A Woman Of No Importance".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   

Back to top Go down

General Movie Discussion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 18Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 18  Next