Where Life Found a Way...est. 2016
 
HomeMainframeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 JPLegacy Memorial Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Richard Levine
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 415
Join date : 2013-01-12
Age : 17
Location : TX

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:13 pm

I still have a lot of bookmarks from JPL stored (when I did the News, fanfic threads) that I havent deleted and quite frankly I dont think I ever will.

_______________

Twitter: @jurassifreak
Instagram: @jurassifreak
Facebook: dm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 685
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 28
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:32 am

Looking around the Zara Death thread, reminded of what I, and no one else, refers to as "hand-gate". Remember when the trailers came out, and we saw the Mosasaur eat the Pteranodon. Then in the next trailer we saw one carry off Zara.

Now fast forward to getting the tv spots and clips, and people started thinking maybe Zara gets eaten. Then there was the TV spot that showed the hand. Then it got removed, or another tv spot showed the version without it. There were still people denying it, I even remember myself screencapping and then drawing a big circle in MS paint to show the hand.

It was pretty fun discussion overall.

_______________
Make the Sayles JP IV script into an animated series! Admit it, you'd watch it.
 
"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Troyal1
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus
avatar

Posts : 667
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:24 pm

@TheDreamMaster wrote:
Looking around the Zara Death thread, reminded of what I, and no one else, refers to as "hand-gate". Remember when the trailers came out, and we saw the Mosasaur eat the Pteranodon. Then in the next trailer we saw one carry off Zara.

Now fast forward to getting the tv spots and clips, and people started thinking maybe Zara gets eaten. Then there was the TV spot that showed the hand. Then it got removed, or another tv spot showed the version without it. There were still people denying it, I even remember myself screencapping and then drawing a big circle in MS paint to show the hand.

It was pretty fun discussion overall.  
I agree it was one of the funniest times ever! There where all the sudden all these people on JPL and IMDB who were suddenly huge Zara fans, and were worried about her. Then she turned out to be barely in the movie XD.

Also I remember the theories, about cloning Zara.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Prowler
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
avatar

Posts : 69
Join date : 2016-06-07

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:30 pm

There were interesting corners of JPL I rarely explored that were always interesting to go into such as the Park Brochure, Jurassic Innards, and the encyclopedia. I always revisited the image galleries for toys, games, comics, fan art, and the films.

When we lost JPL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheRexMan22
Ankylosaurus
Ankylosaurus
avatar

Posts : 236
Join date : 2016-06-08
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:09 pm

Mhm, cloning Zara, you say? (whoops. A little too seductive.) Razz Guess I've finally heard it all!

I haven't, of course. Man. What an enthralling little group we were! Made me laugh sometimes to browse the discussing going on. Now I wish I had been a little more active, but back then I wasn't faced with the improbability that the forums were ever going to close.

Yeah. Naïve.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 685
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 28
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:07 pm

@TheRexMan22 wrote:
Mhm, cloning Zara, you say? (whoops. A little too seductive.) Razz Guess I've finally heard it all!

I haven't, of course. Man. What an enthralling little group we were! Made me laugh sometimes to browse the discussing going on. Now I wish I had been a little more active, but back then I wasn't faced with the improbability that the forums were ever going to close.

Yeah. Naïve.

To be fair, besides that its been said what a surprise it was to even a lot of the mods there, I actually had no idea it'd come pretty close t closure a couple times before. Someone mentioned Ty at one point talked about shutting it all down in 2014, something I don't remember at all, and I joined in 2013. Then when Pokes brought this forum back to life, I saw at one point something had happened regarding hosting and it was unsure if the site would go back up or not. I guess everyone that stuck with it from the start knew the possibility was there, I guess it just took some stuff for Ty to finally reach a breaking point.

_______________
Make the Sayles JP IV script into an animated series! Admit it, you'd watch it.
 
"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead2009
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 989
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Maryland

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:25 pm

@TheDreamMaster wrote:
@TheRexMan22 wrote:
Mhm, cloning Zara, you say? (whoops. A little too seductive.) Razz Guess I've finally heard it all!

I haven't, of course. Man. What an enthralling little group we were! Made me laugh sometimes to browse the discussing going on. Now I wish I had been a little more active, but back then I wasn't faced with the improbability that the forums were ever going to close.

Yeah. Naïve.

To be fair, besides that its been said what a surprise it was to even a lot of the mods there, I actually had no idea it'd come pretty close t closure a couple times before. Someone mentioned Ty at one point talked about shutting it all down in 2014, something I don't remember at all, and I joined in 2013. Then when Pokes brought this forum back to life, I saw at one point something had happened regarding hosting and it was unsure if the site would go back up or not. I guess everyone that stuck with it from the start knew the possibility was there, I guess it just took some stuff for Ty to finally reach a breaking point.  

Part of me wants to say calling out those other dudes for misleading the public with their clickbait is what set Ty off this go round :/

_______________
Last Movie Watched: Smurfs: The Lost Village (2017).
Last TV Show Watched: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (S2:E40).
Last Video Game Played: Sonic Adventure (Gamecube).
http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 685
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 28
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:32 pm

@Dead2009 wrote:
@TheDreamMaster wrote:
@TheRexMan22 wrote:
Mhm, cloning Zara, you say? (whoops. A little too seductive.) Razz Guess I've finally heard it all!

I haven't, of course. Man. What an enthralling little group we were! Made me laugh sometimes to browse the discussing going on. Now I wish I had been a little more active, but back then I wasn't faced with the improbability that the forums were ever going to close.

Yeah. Naïve.

To be fair, besides that its been said what a surprise it was to even a lot of the mods there, I actually had no idea it'd come pretty close t closure a couple times before. Someone mentioned Ty at one point talked about shutting it all down in 2014, something I don't remember at all, and I joined in 2013. Then when Pokes brought this forum back to life, I saw at one point something had happened regarding hosting and it was unsure if the site would go back up or not. I guess everyone that stuck with it from the start knew the possibility was there, I guess it just took some stuff for Ty to finally reach a breaking point.  

Part of me wants to say calling out those other dudes for misleading the public with their clickbait is what set Ty off this go round :/

There's probably parts I don't know, but I have a pretty good idea of what happened, and its probably best not to drag it up again as we'd actually like to try and unite the fandom again in the future if possible. Not to say you are wrong, there's an element of that to it, but there's more than that, and at this point its all just history. You can PM me if you want to know or have some questions, but as far as publicly, the staff and I want to put the problems of the past behind us. Smile

_______________
Make the Sayles JP IV script into an animated series! Admit it, you'd watch it.
 
"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jpsacu
Unhatched Egg
Unhatched Egg
avatar

Posts : 3
Join date : 2016-07-01
Age : 31
Location : México

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:05 pm

JPSACU

I made this video to close Jurassic June and to honor what JPL was for me and, hopefully, for all of us. Take a look!


Back to top Go down
View user profile https://jpsacu.blogspot.mx/
Clonehunter
Unhatched Egg
Unhatched Egg


Posts : 1
Join date : 2016-07-10

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:48 pm

Ah yes, RIP Jurassic Park legacy. May it rest in peace.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Monolophosaurus
Hatchling
Hatchling
avatar

Posts : 43
Join date : 2016-06-09
Location : Home.

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:10 pm

Yeah I think this site is exactly what I wanted JPLegacy to be... so just JPLegacy but without a... well, I'll just end that sentence (I always have to allude to some form of conflict because I'm a jackass like that).

Regardless, this site is fantastic, and I think it is probably a good thing to see that this thread is sort of dying down. It means we are moving on. We are ready to continue. It sounds like JPLegacy has officially become a thing of the past and it is all history now.

And from here on out, there isn't anywhere to go but up. Very little if any hostility and conflict that I've seen amongst the community... it sounds like we (I should probably say 'you' since I'm just some random member with little significance) are managing to rebuild quite well. I'm pretty satisfied with this place.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Theta Rex
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 339
Join date : 2012-01-21
Age : 22
Location : Wouldn't you like to know

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:50 am

Well, the old site no doubt felt the same way when it was still brand new (yes I know this forum's well over four years old w/e). But here's hoping this place walks a significantly smoother path.

_______________
Former former... former... former... yeah, you get the idea.

Cygnus (♂) - Dilophosaurus wetherlii "venenifer"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lord Kristine
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
avatar

Posts : 116
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 21

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:09 pm

I haven't been using this site much. The death of JPL really took a toll on me. I'm afraid, because I've been less willing to write. Things are not looking good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Wu
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
avatar

Posts : 149
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 23
Location : The Hammond Creation Lab

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:14 am

@Lord Kristine wrote:
I haven't been using this site much. The death of JPL really took a toll on me. I'm afraid, because I've been less willing to write. Things are not looking good.
But this site is JPL reborn LK. Yes, JPL was our go to JP site but just because it's gone doesn't mean this can't be our new go to JP site. There're so many people from JPL here and it's still growing. You're not alone here. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lord Kristine
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
avatar

Posts : 116
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 21

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:53 am

I lost my alternate wedding vows from Owen to Claire. That crushed me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Wu
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
avatar

Posts : 149
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 23
Location : The Hammond Creation Lab

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:21 am

@Lord Kristine wrote:
I lost my alternate wedding vows from Owen to Claire. That crushed me.
I'm sorry you lost them. Can't you make new ones here?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 685
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 28
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:09 pm

@Lord Kristine wrote:
I haven't been using this site much. The death of JPL really took a toll on me. I'm afraid, because I've been less willing to write. Things are not looking good.

Based on your next post, I get that you've lost some things, and that always sucks. But it was a website, and we've tried our best to carry on from where it left off. We need people to post, we have some regular posters, and we get a couple new members here and there, but we really need the community to help us grow again. We all lost a little something with JPL, at least those that were on it a lot, but the site in that form isn't coming back. Why not try to move on, and help rebuild a better site?

On another note to everyone here, if you know anyone interested in JP, please mention this site. We're still moving on strong, but we need to get the word out that we exist.

_______________
Make the Sayles JP IV script into an animated series! Admit it, you'd watch it.
 
"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lord Kristine
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
avatar

Posts : 116
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 21

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:25 pm

@TheDreamMaster wrote:
@Lord Kristine wrote:
I haven't been using this site much. The death of JPL really took a toll on me. I'm afraid, because I've been less willing to write. Things are not looking good.

Based on your next post, I get that you've lost some things, and that always sucks. But it was a website, and we've tried our best to carry on from where it left off. We need people to post, we have some regular posters, and we get a couple new members here and there, but we really need the community to help us grow again. We all lost a little something with JPL, at least those that were on it a lot, but the site in that form isn't coming back. Why not try to move on, and help rebuild a better site?

On another note to everyone here, if you know anyone interested in JP, please mention this site. We're still moving on strong, but we need to get the word out that we exist.    
I'm just bummed because I offered to pay $360 for the site (all I had in cash at the time), and I feel like if I had offered up to 800, I could have saved us. Now, I've lost so many memories, so many TSJPFEW-related threads. I feel like I've been punched and punched and am on the verge of blacking out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Levine
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 415
Join date : 2013-01-12
Age : 17
Location : TX

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:30 pm

@Lord Kristine wrote:
@TheDreamMaster wrote:
@Lord Kristine wrote:
I haven't been using this site much. The death of JPL really took a toll on me. I'm afraid, because I've been less willing to write. Things are not looking good.

Based on your next post, I get that you've lost some things, and that always sucks. But it was a website, and we've tried our best to carry on from where it left off. We need people to post, we have some regular posters, and we get a couple new members here and there, but we really need the community to help us grow again. We all lost a little something with JPL, at least those that were on it a lot, but the site in that form isn't coming back. Why not try to move on, and help rebuild a better site?

On another note to everyone here, if you know anyone interested in JP, please mention this site. We're still moving on strong, but we need to get the word out that we exist.    
I'm just bummed because I offered to pay $360 for the site (all I had in cash at the time), and I feel like if I had offered up to 800, I could have saved us. Now, I've lost so many memories, so many TSJPFEW-related threads. I feel like I've been punched and punched and am on the verge of blacking out.

Money wasnt the issue lol. Other people offered him higher and he still turned it down...that says something.

_______________

Twitter: @jurassifreak
Instagram: @jurassifreak
Facebook: dm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lord Kristine
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
avatar

Posts : 116
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 21

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:32 pm

It also says something that I was willing to pay that much, and the feelings of so many people were disregarded. I lost everything.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Levine
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 415
Join date : 2013-01-12
Age : 17
Location : TX

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:37 pm

@Lord Kristine wrote:
It also says something that I was willing to pay that much, and the feelings of so many people were disregarded. I lost everything.

Tyrannosaur lost 15+ years of his life being in this fandom and getting treated like shit for trying to establish a set canon and basic guidelines for the community yet was taken over by a site where one of the people who run it literally said "Canon is your opinion".

_______________

Twitter: @jurassifreak
Instagram: @jurassifreak
Facebook: dm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lord Kristine
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
avatar

Posts : 116
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 21

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:40 pm

But from my point of view, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Our voices were not heard. We do not matter. I have no hope, because no matter where I go, I cannot save my home. If this site dies, and the next site dies, no one will listen to me or anyone else. We are without value.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus
avatar

Posts : 2197
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:50 pm

@Richard Levine wrote:
@Lord Kristine wrote:
It also says something that I was willing to pay that much, and the feelings of so many people were disregarded. I lost everything.

Tyrannosaur lost 15+ years of his life being in this fandom and getting treated like shit for trying to establish a set canon and basic guidelines for the community yet was taken over by a site where one of the people who run it literally said "Canon is your opinion".

Was the person who said that the one rouge admin who basically hijacked JPL back in 2009?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Levine
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 415
Join date : 2013-01-12
Age : 17
Location : TX

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:52 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@Richard Levine wrote:
@Lord Kristine wrote:
It also says something that I was willing to pay that much, and the feelings of so many people were disregarded. I lost everything.

Tyrannosaur lost 15+ years of his life being in this fandom and getting treated like shit for trying to establish a set canon and basic guidelines for the community yet was taken over by a site where one of the people who run it literally said "Canon is your opinion".

Was the person who said that the one rouge admin who basically hijacked JPL back in 2009?

No.

_______________

Twitter: @jurassifreak
Instagram: @jurassifreak
Facebook: dm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lord Kristine
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
avatar

Posts : 116
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 21

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:07 pm

I've always been of the opinion that no one person should own a cultural property. I do not own TSJPFEW. It belongs to the readers. Otherwise, I'd be perfectly happy spitting words into the void. But I only gain something from the people who read. To say that they have no bearing in my work is disrespectful. We live in a world where voices, however many there are, will not drown out the single proprietor. That's why George Lucas can keep Star Wars locked away. That's why JPL died. We are nothing more than rats scrambling to the next empty box when the last one is destroyed. No one cares about what we want. At least by scurrying into the open, we will be stepped on immediately. One way or another, we will all be killed, and there's no stopping it. All we can do is delay the inevitable, not by saving our home, but by never questioning why we must live like vermin. I once thought that the Jurassic Park community was full of people who cared about each other. I was wrong. When all is said and done, each one of us is incapable of carrying out a selfless act. We do what we do for our own self interest, and put on the facade of brotherhood. I could disappear from this place, and no one would risk their neck to assist me. When one of us is stepped on, the others fear the same. That's why we do not love each other. That's why I was a fool for ever having faith in the goodness of my peers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus
avatar

Posts : 2197
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:08 pm

@Richard Levine wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@Richard Levine wrote:
@Lord Kristine wrote:
It also says something that I was willing to pay that much, and the feelings of so many people were disregarded. I lost everything.

Tyrannosaur lost 15+ years of his life being in this fandom and getting treated like shit for trying to establish a set canon and basic guidelines for the community yet was taken over by a site where one of the people who run it literally said "Canon is your opinion".

Was the person who said that the one rouge admin who basically hijacked JPL back in 2009?

No.

OK. I only asked because I that was my first thought.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lord Kristine
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
avatar

Posts : 116
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 21

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:12 pm

I guess the question now is can the benefits of staying here outweigh my sorrow? I never thought there would come a time when something would drive me away from this fandom, but I don't think there's anything for me here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Megaspino2
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 187
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:33 pm

I do understand where you're coming from Lk and I do feel bad for your loss but sometimes people just get to a breaking point with things. I won't put Ty down because he decided to wash his hands with the site but I agree that the torch could have been passed to us. I feel the staff here are more than capable of running this place and I have no doubt we could have run things at Jpl just fine.

However, the reality is that JPL is done and it isn't coming back in the forn that it was. We're all crushed that the place is gone but we have an opportunity to create something special here I believe. However, none of that will matter if the community doesn't pitch in. Many of us do care very dearly about JP and I consider many of you to be my friends. I'm sure a lot of members feel that way about others.

We need you guys to help us create a new spirit of JPL here. We can merely lay the foundations down and make adjustments but the lifeblood comes from you guys. Yes, by shutting down JPL ty did take the physical site away from you but the spirit will only die if people choose it to die.

On one final note though, can you honestly blame Ty for all the crap he had been taking over the years to just get to a breaking point? His methods of operation were questionable at times but I doubt many people could have lasted as long as he did.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 685
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 28
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:49 pm

@Megaspino2 wrote:
I do understand where you're coming from Lk and I do feel bad for your loss but sometimes people just get to a breaking point with things. I won't put Ty down because he decided to wash his hands with the site but I agree that the torch could have been passed to us. I feel the staff here are more than capable of running this place and I have no doubt we could have run things at Jpl just fine.

However, the reality is that JPL is done and it isn't coming back in the forn that it was. We're all crushed that the place is gone but we have an opportunity to create something special here I believe. However, none of that will matter if the community doesn't pitch in. Many of us do care very dearly about JP and I consider many of you to be my friends. I'm sure a lot of members feel that way about others.

We need you guys to help us create a new spirit of JPL here. We can merely lay the foundations down and make adjustments but the lifeblood comes from you guys. Yes, by shutting down JPL ty did take the physical site away from you but the spirit will only die if people choose it to die.

On one final note though, can you honestly blame Ty for all the crap he had been taking over the years to just get to a breaking point? His methods of operation were questionable at times but I doubt many people could have lasted as long as he did.

^
This post right here, 100%.

_______________
Make the Sayles JP IV script into an animated series! Admit it, you'd watch it.
 
"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Megaspino2
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 187
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:14 pm

Just to add to what I was saying before, don't you guys see that at the end of the day you made JPL special. It wasn't anything Ty did or didn't do to make it such a great place it was the people, the members, who made the place shine. All of the dedicated work put into the site wasn't always a product of the staff. Many people sent in art, created interesting topics of discussion, made great fan fics, created amazing mods for the games, and most of all fostered the atmosphere that people came to like about it.

I find it disheartening to see many people essentially loosing hope of a better website. Sure this place isn't as big or fancy as JPL but everything has to start somewhere. Hell, even JPL must have had humble beginnings because it too was also created from the ruins of another great JP fan site. So, if JPL could have built up from something small to the site that it was then this site also has the potential to do the same.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lord Kristine
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
avatar

Posts : 116
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 21

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:51 am

We were also robbed of the encyclopedia, which I find disgusting. All that information that people like me relied on for writing is just gone. We have no culture, and a tree with no roots cannot stand. I admire the attempt to salvage the situation, but we've already miscarried our hope. I choose not to ignore the blood.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Megaspino2
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 187
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:59 am

The encyclopedia was something the whole staff didn't think was a great idea because of two reasons; one was that it was Ty's wishes to not have thr encyclopedia put up again. Now I do understand that a great deal of people contributed to it over years but at the end of the day it was Ty's original project on his site. Basically when anyone did anything of that nature for the site it legally became Ty's because of the disclaimer of ownership. This is something that many organizations use so it's not like it was an uncommon practice. Is it 100% fair? No, but unfortunately this isn't a perfect world so things like this will occur from time to time. Since it was technically Ty's possession we wanted to respect his wishes.

The second reason was because the encyclopedia was known to cause problems and draw criticism from other parties outside of the site. Plagiarism is an issue, and trying to police an entire franchise worth of canon ideals was something we didn't want to become involved in or associated with. At the end of the day the encyclopedia would have most likely caused some of the same issues that were at the root of JPL's demise.

I do understand though if people feel the need to leave or distance themselves from the site. I will not try to twist anyone's arm into doing something they don't want to in their heart but for the people who do want to build back up then this site will be there for them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lord Kristine
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
avatar

Posts : 116
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 21

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:11 am

This new site just can't work. It's like a market: while it may get significant traffic, each individual booth isn't thriving, especially specialized ones like mine. One by one, we will start to break away. I just don't know if I can trust anyone anymore. I'm not losing hope. My hope was taken by force when I saw how little people stood up for the users' rights.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spiegel
Ankylosaurus
Ankylosaurus
avatar

Posts : 271
Join date : 2012-03-30
Age : 31
Location : Waverly, NY

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:32 am

I'm going to voice a few opinions here as I think it’s very important we open our eyes to some things. You may not like them but these are my views and I believe the come from a very factual place.

1. The removal to JPL was selfish. Let’s look at the reasoning you have proposed for its shut down here. Also I'm sure a lot of us can remember the closing threads on JPL.

@Megaspino2 wrote:
I do understand where you're coming from Lk and I do feel bad for your loss but sometimes people just get to a breaking point with things. I won't put Ty down because he decided to wash his hands with the site but I agree that the torch could have been passed to us. I feel the staff here are more than capable of running this place and I have no doubt we could have run things at Jpl just fine.

On one final note though, can you honestly blame Ty for all the crap he had been taking over the years to just get to a breaking point? His methods of operation were questionable at times but I doubt many people could have lasted as long as he did.

So what we have here is he failure to see that the community should outweigh the individual. Ty reached his breaking point because he couldn't stand the idea that JPL canon and website were the only thoughts, ideas, and opinions that the fans believed it. No matter how you look at it, JPL was a fan built website, it was not owned by the original creator of the Jurassic Park idea, Michael Crichton, or the any of the directors or producers from the film franchise. The canon formed at JPL, which was well researched and approached in a way that attempted to remove opinion, seemed very logical and correct. However, there are plot holes in the books and movies that can only lead to speculation, theories, and opinions. Everyone is entitled to their own and if they don’t prescribe to JPL's that’s their own right. Ty could not deal with anyone having thoughts outside of JPL's canon, no matter how logical and well proven they were, you can’t own the Internet's view on a franchise. You can’t. His inability to accept others existing, yes I mean the idea of other websites having fans that agreed to a canon outside of JPL's, was the demise of JPL. Its literally like talking religion. Everyone has their own beliefs. However, because Muslims exist, or different sects of the same religion, you don’t burn all the bibles and forget the religion existed, storing the scripture in an Ark somewhere hidden away for all time. The idea that we are capable of saying we don’t want anyone to think any different from us, even if the plagiarize and use some of the same ideas thus making their thoughts have some of the same foundation as ours, is ridiculous. Stop clinging to the idea that its ok to remove all the work done by the community because one man "hit his breaking point," over people having different thoughts on their own sites, and took it away is ok.

2. The "Poor Ty" pity party needs to stop. Really, you are literally putting the issues of one man before an entire community. JPL wasnt just a well researched wealth of knowledge about the Jurassic park franchise. It was also a safe haven and a harbor for a lot of people who felt socially awkward, dealing with their own mental blocks, and brought together by an interests that some would have belittled them for. It was taken away from those people.

@Richard Levine wrote:

Tyrannosaur lost 15+ years of his life being in this fandom and getting treated like shit for trying to establish a set canon and basic guidelines for the community yet was taken over by a site where one of the people who run it literally said "Canon is your opinion".

Ty did not own Jurassic Park, the franchise, or the views of every person to have any interest in it. His 15 year commitment was his own, it was a hobby. He wasn't a paid researcher. He didn’t have to listen to any member from any other JP fansite's opinion about his canon. He didn’t have to let them unsettle him to the point that he gave up. The idea that canon is opinion is absolutely correct because unless it’s from Crichton or Spielberg, the actual creators, it is not a fact. If Spielberg came out and said that Rexy is not the same T-Rex as the one from Jurassic Park than that is as factual as it gets.

Ty's actions in removing the community were completely selfish and only show his inability to cope with the idea that anyone could have opinions outside his own. When he couldnt deal with it, he didnt pass on the torch or take a step back. He literally stripped away not only the work of others but the safe haven everyone found in JPL. Thats unfair and is literally saying that Ty's issues outweigh everyone else’s. It needs to stop. He did good things. He had an awesome site. However, his actions were narcissistic and much like a toddlers. Here's how it went down:

JPL: "This is the canon as set down by this website, the largest JP fansite, and thus the correct website in all views and beliefs. It should be accepted by all"
JP Fansite: "I don’t agree with your views and have my own. I'm going to make my own website to express my views and opinions."
JPL: "No there is only one holy text and that is the encyclopedia at JPL. Your views are fake."
JP Fansite: "I don’t agree so I'm going to follow my own opinions and beliefs."
JPL: "If you're not going to agree with me and think that some of ideas arent as good as yours, then I'm going to delete the website, throw the community to the wind, and take everyone's work. If I cant have my way, then my followers can’t have our joint beliefs either."
JPL Community: "Can’t we keep the site and maybe you leave or take a break"
JPL: "No, it’s my way for all JP fans or no one gets to enjoy any of it."
*JPL and everything associated deleted or moved to secret bunker hidden near the top of Mount Everest*

That’s sick. That’s selfish. That’s one man's inability to cope with not having complete control over a franchise. That is narcissism

3. When Ty took the encyclopedia project and opened it the public to contribute to I don’t believe he ever said to anyone that the work done was to fall under his sole custody. You can claim that the disclaimer on the website or forum allows him to take it all as his own but I'd be curious to see how that would play out if it were to be published and there was monetary gain taken in from sales. I'd like to see that in a court room. Also, why is it Ty or the Staff of JPL's right to decide that any of its contributors care of if its plagiarized. What would happen if everyone that ever submitted an article saved it and said screw it, giving it to another site? What would the opinion be than? Its almost like how there are multiple versions of Christianity and the bible, except instead of saying well we're sort of one in the same in our beliefs so its ok if parts of the scripture are the same between different versions, instead only one can exist and if everyone is going to copy it the original will be burned. Plagiarism isn’t cool but if it some of the same views are shared between different website canons doesn’t that bring us together? Isnt that the root cause of this whole ordeal? Aren’t we feeding into the idea that no other ideas should exist so we take away our version. It’s like surrendering without even standing up for yourself. It’s like saying if I can’t be the only one than this isn’t worth it.

@Megaspino2 wrote:
The encyclopedia was something the whole staff didn't think was a great idea because of two reasons; one was that it was Ty's wishes to not have the encyclopedia put up again. Now I do understand that a great deal of people contributed to it over years but at the end of the day it was Ty's original project on his site. Basically when anyone did anything of that nature for the site it legally became Ty's because of the disclaimer of ownership. This is something that many organizations use so it's not like it was an uncommon practice. Is it 100% fair? No, but unfortunately this isn't a perfect world so things like this will occur from time to time. Since it was technically Ty's possession we wanted to respect his wishes.

The second reason was because the encyclopedia was known to cause problems and draw criticism from other parties outside of the site. Plagiarism is an issue, and trying to police an entire franchise worth of canon ideals was something we didn't want to become involved in or associated with. At the end of the day the encyclopedia would have most likely caused some of the same issues that were at the root of JPL's demise.

I do understand though if people feel the need to leave or distance themselves from the site. I will not try to twist anyone's arm into doing something they don't want to in their heart but for the people who do want to build back up then this site will be there for them.


The contributions and time spent by members of JPL community on a project for and by the community need to be recognized. How is it ok for the encyclopedia to be withheld from the people who created it? Was it not created for the community or was it only created so that Ty could feel like he accomplished something? What’s more important Ty or the JP community because some of the reasoning here seems to be about only one person and doesn’t take into account the masses.
4. You're probably not going to like this one. I see myself not being allowed here anymore but its time for a serious self-evaluation of this forum and its staff. Yes, it has good intentions. Yes, its nicely built and is providing a form of refuge after the loss of JPL. However, this isn't a ok:

@TheDreamMaster wrote:

Based on your next post, I get that you've lost some things, and that always sucks. But it was a website, and we've tried our best to carry on from where it left off. We need people to post, we have some regular posters, and we get a couple new members here and there, but we really need the community to help us grow again. We all lost a little something with JPL, at least those that were on it a lot, but the site in that form isn't coming back. Why not try to move on, and help rebuild a better site?

On another note to everyone here, if you know anyone interested in JP, please mention this site. We're still moving on strong, but we need to get the word out that we exist.    

As a staff member you are a leader. Not board police. That’s part of the JPL Legacy I do believe. Not that there weren’t good or great staff, but more of their work seemed to be keeping people inline than being leaders. So why isn’t the staff here leading the way in reforming the community? Are there group events? What about a group project like creating a new encyclopedia or wiki? How about a community chat?

Lord Kristine has threads that have no activity aside from her own. Staff hasn't even acknowledged her work or existence let alone any members. How is that creating a community?

Caudipteryx posted a profile for approval on July 16th. On July 20th she posted a request for a staff member to review it as it had not been done yet. Its not July 26th, 10 days and neither has the profile been accepted or her request to have it reviewed acknowledged.

Oshronosaurus has posted threads with some ideas or activities and have the staff acknowledged or participated in that? No

I posted a thread about Build the Legend RPG, an idea that Ty was original for but never came to fruition because of my banning. Members have posted the idea of being excited about it. Has staff said a word or tried to contribute to bringing to life? No

Richard Levine was an admin here who posted news, made new banners, made new portraits for our ranks, and started work on the Forgotten World RPG. He's retired. He didn’t get a farewell. He didn’t get a public thank you. He seems to have just passed through the cracks. Staff has seemed to even acknowledge his contributions publicly.

So you can’t say the community has to drive itself. You are staff, you are at the helm. You're not a police force you should be a force of leadership within this community to drive forward the good parts of JPL's Legacy. Instead you're defending Ty's actions or saying we sort of have to get over it and just leaving this forum to sort itself out. You need to be guiding us. We need purpose in keeping this community going. Just because we make an associated site doesn’t make it an instant success. It requires work but I dont see any being put in aside from defending Ty on this thread.


So, in conclusion we need to let go of the JPL Legacy that was tainted and twisted. The portion that was stripped from the members who held it dear. WE need to stop defining the JP canon, franchise, and community based around the actions of one man, Ty, who did good things but in the end crapped all over his supporters. We need leadership here that does more than defend Ty like they’re worshiping an idol without acknowledging some of the valid complaints and emotions of former members. JPL is gone. It set high standards for a lot of things and it set horrid standards for others and what I see in this thread is former members of JPL being marginalized why we continue hero worship of a man that took away our work and community. I also see an inability to recognize flaws in a system that collapsed. These things need to be addressed and worked on.

I'll be waiting for a ban or a ton of "No you're wrong posts," but instead I hope see to some acknowledgement of what I think are some very valid points that could keep this forum and the refugees of JPL's community from dying out.
very valid points that could keep this forum and the refugees of JPL's community from dying out.

"Dr. Ian Malcolm: If I may... Um, I'll tell you the problem with the scientific power that you're using here, it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You read what others had done and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility for it. You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now
[bangs on the table]
Dr. Ian Malcolm: you're selling it, you wanna sell it. Well...
John Hammond: I don't think you're giving us our due credit. Our scientists have done things which nobody's ever done before...
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should. "

So here it is. Ty rode on the shoulders of geniuses to complete his work and took it away from those that made it possible. Now we are riding on the idea of JPL's success to create success here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/100LettersToNowhere/?fref=photo
Dead2009
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 989
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Maryland

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:35 am

@Lord Kristine wrote:
This new site just can't work. It's like a market: while it may get significant traffic, each individual booth isn't thriving, especially specialized ones like mine. One by one, we will start to break away. I just don't know if I can trust anyone anymore. I'm not losing hope. My hope was taken by force when I saw how little people stood up for the users' rights.

It can work, as long as people are doing their part. As the "market" booms, everything will get looked at, everything will get a chance to thrive. Success doesn't happen overnight, and everyone should expect that when opening up a new "business" so to speak.

As far as users rights go, we're essentially powerless when someone of power makes a decision and won't back away from it. Nobody wanted the other site to shut down, people were constantly suggesting a transfer to the staff so that the site could live on as a tribute to the guy who started it all, and he denied all of those requests. Once that happens, the power is out of our hands. All of the active members could of pleaded to keep the site open and it wouldn't of mattered.

_______________
Last Movie Watched: Smurfs: The Lost Village (2017).
Last TV Show Watched: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (S2:E40).
Last Video Game Played: Sonic Adventure (Gamecube).
http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Monolophosaurus
Hatchling
Hatchling
avatar

Posts : 43
Join date : 2016-06-09
Location : Home.

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:37 am

I'm starting to feel the same way. This site feels a little... dead. Not near completely, but it isn't as lively and fun as it was the first few weeks on here. At least the stuff that interested me on JPLegacy either isn't here, is here but no one uses it, or isn't the same.

And of course Ty wouldn't want the encyclopedia up, that sounds typical of him.

Regardless, I struggle to find ways to keep interest in this site, which is a shame because I was so hopeful for this site's future earlier (as seen by my earlier posts in this thread), but now I'm not so sure.

EDIT: Holy crap a lot of stuff got posted in the 60 seconds it took me to write this.

EDIT2: And Spiegel DEAR GOD you went HARD. I applaud you, some of that stuff is stuff I've wanted to say for so long but was so afraid to do so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead2009
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 989
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Maryland

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:45 am

Again, success in a forum doesn't happen overnight. The site isn't even 2 months old so people have to give it room to breathe.

_______________
Last Movie Watched: Smurfs: The Lost Village (2017).
Last TV Show Watched: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (S2:E40).
Last Video Game Played: Sonic Adventure (Gamecube).
http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Lord Kristine
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
avatar

Posts : 116
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 21

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:10 pm

Trickle down effect doesn't work in real life, nor here. Sunken ships don't float or whatever.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Levine
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 415
Join date : 2013-01-12
Age : 17
Location : TX

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:18 pm

If you dont like this place why dont you go to the JP Reddit or Jurassic Outpost lmao I'm seriously trying not to fucking let loose. Can someone block me from this site or something.

_______________

Twitter: @jurassifreak
Instagram: @jurassifreak
Facebook: dm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lord Kristine
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
avatar

Posts : 116
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 21

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:25 pm

There is no refuge. The Jurassic Fandom is dead.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Monolophosaurus
Hatchling
Hatchling
avatar

Posts : 43
Join date : 2016-06-09
Location : Home.

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:33 pm

@Richard Levine wrote:
If you dont like this place why dont you go to the JP Reddit or Jurassic Outpost lmao I'm seriously trying not to fucking let loose. Can someone block me from this site or something.

Traitorous Critic Fallacy/ergo decedo. Also an ad hominem, rather than debunking arguments you just make some offhand comment and act like that is sufficient. If you want this site to die, that's fine.

Actually the JP Reddit looks sort of appealing, but I wouldn't join there. Outpost looks pretty cool though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead2009
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 989
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Maryland

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:00 pm

An Internet forum is not the end all be all of something. Fandoms don't extend to just Internet message boards, and there are a lot of people who are fans of a certain series that probably don't even know websites like these exist and if they do, they don't care. Just because this place isn't booming with activity right off the bat doesn't and shouldn't mean anything in the long run, and shouldn't be compared to its predcessor.

We don't need to be comparing Jurassic Park Legacy to what's going on over here because this is the site that needs the focus, the attention. This is the site that needs to thrive. I never expected every single thread to have a reply in them and I'm sure everybody didn't expect all the threads to have a lot of interest, that's just the way that works.

_______________
Last Movie Watched: Smurfs: The Lost Village (2017).
Last TV Show Watched: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (S2:E40).
Last Video Game Played: Sonic Adventure (Gamecube).
http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
CT-1138
Dinosaur Fact File Curator
Dinosaur Fact File Curator
avatar

Posts : 494
Join date : 2012-04-06
Age : 24
Location : Chicago

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:20 pm

I've already sort of left this place myself. My interest for JP period has been fading lately, and the shutdown of JPL was kind of the nail in the coffin for me. I've been focusing on SW a lot lately, just because I've been becoming somewhat disillusioned with the fandom. Too many self serving people, and too much immaturity. And honestly, the separated Twitter accounts is only further indicative to me that people are separating the JW trilogy from the JP franchise. OG JP fans aren't the target demographic anymore. Universal is looking for a new gen to woo. This is why I've been sticking to SW lately. At least Disney/LFL cares enough about the OT SW fans to cater to them while simultaneously marketing towards the children of the OG SW.

Universal, they just do not care, and treat JP like a bastard child. I just can't relate to the JP fandom anymore, and Universal has partly had a hand in that. I cannot support trying to differentiate the JW movies from the originals, but that seems to be the future of the franchise. To me, it's still JP 5, but to everyone else, even Universal, it's Jurassic World 2. I've resigned to that fact. If Universal was smart, they'd treat it more like Star Wars, and welcome the nostalgic crowd. But they're not. Like Ghostbusters, they're creating Jurassic Park: The Next Generation. And they're treating it with out with the old and in with the new. We're just not the target demographic. The target demographic is younger Millennials. The people that are children and teenagers now. Not the 20-somethings and 30-somethings that grew up with the originals.

It's an unhealthy relationship, JW and I. I will always have JP, TLW and JP///, and maybe someday I can learn to appreciate JW for what it is. I'm just uncertain about where this franchise is going,but the direction it's hinting to is somewhere I cannot follow. Star Wars is being taken in the right direction, and it's a much healthier relationship between fan and studio. It's something I've had since childhood, just like JP. I started watching SW around the same time I saw JP, so it's always been there with me. Heh, I can still remember when I used to where my hooded bathrobe and swing my Ep. 1 Darth Maul lightsaber around my house when I was six. Then my Dad took it away from me because I kept hitting the walls with it. I like those memories. I have equally pleasant memories of JP. I used to walk around my back yard thinking I was Roland hunting dinosaurs. I'd wear my cowboy hat and run around my backyard with my Disney rifle. But that's all I have of JP, memories. JP isn't the same as it was in 2001. It's no longer a terrifying, action packed romp with dinosaurs. Now there's genetic hybrids and that's looking like the future of the franchise.

The iRex was well received by both fandom and audiences, so that means Universal is going to try more of that. Being well received means that more hybrids might be well received. However that's not the JP I know and love. It's the new JP, and it's here to stay. The JP I knew and loved didn't need genetic hybrids. It just needed dinosaurs, or at least dinosaurs as we perceived them in great 1990s. The JP I loved used environments, was atmospheric and used some of the greatest animatronics ever built. JW has none of that. I can only hope Bayona creates a JP like I remembered, but with the direction the themes are going, I'm not sure I can get used to the idea.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://abekowalski.deviantart.com/
Dr. Wu
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
avatar

Posts : 149
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 23
Location : The Hammond Creation Lab

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:48 pm

@CT-1138 wrote:
I've already sort of left this place myself. My interest for JP period has been fading lately, and the shutdown of JPL was kind of the nail in the coffin for me. I've been focusing on SW a lot lately, just because I've been becoming somewhat disillusioned with the fandom. Too many self serving people, and too much immaturity. And honestly, the separated Twitter accounts is only further indicative to me that people are separating the JW trilogy from the JP franchise. OG JP fans aren't the target demographic anymore. Universal is looking for a new gen to woo. This is why I've been sticking to SW lately. At least Disney/LFL cares enough about the OT SW fans to cater to them while simultaneously marketing towards the children of the OG SW.

Universal, they just do not care, and treat JP like a bastard child. I just can't relate to the JP fandom anymore, and Universal has partly had a hand in that. I cannot support trying to differentiate the JW movies from the originals, but that seems to be the future of the franchise. To me, it's still JP 5, but to everyone else, even Universal, it's Jurassic World 2. I've resigned to that fact. If Universal was smart, they'd treat it more like Star Wars, and welcome the nostalgic crowd. But they're not. Like Ghostbusters, they're creating Jurassic Park: The Next Generation. And they're treating it with out with the old and in with the new. We're just not the target demographic. The target demographic is younger Millennials. The people that are children and teenagers now. Not the 20-somethings and 30-somethings that grew up with the originals.

It's an unhealthy relationship, JW and I. I will always have JP, TLW and JP///, and maybe someday I can learn to appreciate JW for what it is. I'm just uncertain about where this franchise is going,but the direction it's hinting to is somewhere I cannot follow. Star Wars is being taken in the right direction, and it's a much healthier relationship between fan and studio. It's something I've had since childhood, just like JP. I started watching SW around the same time I saw JP, so it's always been there with me. Heh, I can still remember when I used to where my hooded bathrobe and swing my Ep. 1 Darth Maul lightsaber around my house when I was six. Then my Dad took it away from me because I kept hitting the walls with it. I like those memories. I have equally pleasant memories of JP. I used to walk around my back yard thinking I was Roland hunting dinosaurs. I'd wear my cowboy hat and run around my backyard with my Disney rifle. But that's all I have of JP, memories. JP isn't the same as it was in 2001. It's no longer a terrifying, action packed romp with dinosaurs. Now there's genetic hybrids and that's looking like the future of the franchise.

The iRex was well received by both fandom and audiences, so that means Universal is going to try more of that. Being well received means that more hybrids might be well received. However that's not the JP I know and love. It's the new JP, and it's here to stay. The JP I knew and loved didn't need genetic hybrids. It just needed dinosaurs, or at least dinosaurs as we perceived them in great 1990s. The JP I loved used environments, was atmospheric and used some of the greatest animatronics ever built. JW has none of that. I can only hope Bayona creates a JP like I remembered, but with the direction the themes are going, I'm not sure I can get used to the idea.
So what if we're not the target demographic? That doesn't mean we won't like the new films. I'm 22 and I love both JP and JW. I'm still very excited about the sequel to JW but JP will always be my #1 favorite film.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Megaspino2
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 187
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:22 pm

@Spiegel wrote:
1. The removal to JPL was selfish. Let’s look at the reasoning you have proposed for its shut down here. Also I'm sure a lot of us can remember the closing threads on JPL.

@Megaspino2 wrote:
I do understand where you're coming from Lk and I do feel bad for your loss but sometimes people just get to a breaking point with things. I won't put Ty down because he decided to wash his hands with the site but I agree that the torch could have been passed to us. I feel the staff here are more than capable of running this place and I have no doubt we could have run things at Jpl just fine.

On one final note though, can you honestly blame Ty for all the crap he had been taking over the years to just get to a breaking point? His methods of operation were questionable at times but I doubt many people could have lasted as long as he did.

So what we have here is he failure to see that the community should outweigh the individual. Ty reached his breaking point because he couldn't stand the idea that JPL canon and website were the only thoughts, ideas, and opinions that the fans believed it. No matter how you look at it, JPL was a fan built website, it was not owned by the original creator of the Jurassic Park idea, Michael Crichton, or the any of the directors or producers from the film franchise. The canon formed at JPL, which was well researched and approached in a way that attempted to remove opinion, seemed very logical and correct. However, there are plot holes in the books and movies that can only lead to speculation, theories, and opinions. Everyone is entitled to their own and if they don’t prescribe to JPL's that’s their own right. Ty could not deal with anyone having thoughts outside of JPL's canon, no matter how logical and well proven they were, you can’t own the Internet's view on a franchise. You can’t. His inability to accept others existing, yes I mean the idea of other websites having fans that agreed to a canon outside of JPL's, was the demise of JPL. Its literally like talking religion. Everyone has their own beliefs. However, because Muslims exist, or different sects of the same religion, you don’t burn all the bibles and forget the religion existed, storing the scripture in an Ark somewhere hidden away for all time. The idea that we are capable of saying we don’t want anyone to think any different from us, even if the plagiarize and use some of the same ideas thus making their thoughts have some of the same foundation as ours, is ridiculous. Stop clinging to the idea that its ok to remove all the work done by the community because one man "hit his breaking point," over people having different thoughts on their own sites, and took it away is ok.

I never said it was okay for him to not pass the torch. As I said before I believe the rest of the staff could have handled the site just fine and agree that his decision to refuse us to continue on the "legacy" was selfish. I also will agree that Ty did create a lot of problems by trying to police a central canon, but let us also realize that the other parties are not innocent. One of the biggest controversial time periods in the site's history revolved around a member who wanted to take over the site so he could promote his own fan ideas as ideas that were researched by the staff of the encyclopedia. I don't want to get into the more recent issues publicly but if you want to shoot me a PM we can discuss it.

Yes, it isn't right that JPL is gone but what could we possibly have done? We the staff and the members of JPL all tried many different things to get Ty to keep the site and he refused. It isn't like we can picket and protest outside of his house, he had power as the webmaster and that was that. Also Dead brings up an excellent point, this is an internet forum not a job. It is a hobby for people, and it is not worth anyone's mental health over. And this brings me to my second point:

JPL towards the end wasn't booming with activity, in fact, it was quite inactive. Not every thread in every single section was getting posts, and certain threads just lend themselves to more activity because not every single person is interested in say fan fiction or the video games mods or the novels. The film and general discussion threads will always get more action because they reach a broad audience. That's not to say any of the things I mentioned or things I failed to mention are bad or not worth any time; they can be very interesting actually. However, it's not everyone's cup of tea and people should understand that.

Now as to the staff being police instead of leaders because not all of us are posting on every single thread I will say this: again it is not a job. Most of us are in our 20's which means our lives at this point are more important. It is also summer and as I mentioned  to the staff before, summer is a time when life drags us away from our "normal" routine. It is a time for families, vacations and being outside; this may be the case with staff members as well as our members. You cannot say that the JPL staff posted on every thread because that isn't true. Also, we can't push certain threads or sections on our members; we offer them and encourage everyone to participate in discussion of all areas of the fandom but there is also a freedom of choice where members will usually post in areas that they like. As a matter of fact, in the past Ty wanted to shut down the general discussion area of JPL to promote more discussion in other areas of the forum like the films section (this was way before we knew JW was even going to come to fruition.) I doubt people would want to go to such extremes and I don't condone it or approve of it so to me the freedom of choice works.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   

Back to top Go down
 
JPLegacy Memorial Thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Similar topics
-
» The Flat/Satin Black Thread
» A Miyu Thread
» Green lantern Merch thread
» The Little House on the Prairie Comedy Thread
» Thread Basting or Safety Pins?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Jurassic Mainframe Boards :: Innovation Center :: Off-Topic Discussions-
Jump to: