Don't worry, Ian. I'm not making the same mistakes again! est 2016.
 
HomeMainframeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 The Star Wars thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 2734
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:52 am

Star Wars: Rouge One has made $914 million. And it's still the number one movie in theaters.

This movie is going to make a billion dollars.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:10 pm

To no-ones surprise.

But I wonder if in 10 years, when the masses have already seen 47 further Star Wars sequel/prequel/reboot/standalone-stories all revolving around familiar safe themes in the cinematic universe, that the studios have harder time of hitting the box office targets.

I loved RLM's latest Rogue One fake-fanboy-hype-podcast parody by the way.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 2734
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:26 am

Mistral wrote:
To no-ones surprise.

But I wonder if in 10 years, when the masses have already seen 47 further Star Wars sequel/prequel/reboot/standalone-stories all revolving around familiar safe themes in the cinematic universe, that the studios have harder time of hitting the box office targets.

Eh...no. This was the first anthology movies and if it got negative reviews, while still would have been profitable, the chances of more movies would have been in trouble. That and
Spoiler:
 
was hardly a safe choice. It's not about being safe as so much as it's about being different while still being faithful.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Oshronosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
avatar

Posts : 398
Join date : 2016-06-10

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:02 pm

barring MatPat's theory about the Rogue One cast which turned out to be wrong, there wasn't much they could've done with the film aside from its tone anyway since the end result was already set with Ep4, same reason why (in my opinion) the ending of Ep3 was so contrived--the future of the story is already set and they had to get to it somehow, so OBVIOUSLY Anakin loses all his arms and legs and becomes Vader at the end and R2 and 3PO simply NEEDED to have their memories wiped since they don't explain anything about the Prequels in the Originals: the Rogue One unit as elaborated on/implied there clearly wasn't part of the Rebels anymore or else they would've been mentioned at the very least
Spoiler:
 
even if Rogue One had gotten bad reviews, that wouldn't mean the end of the spin-off movies, it probably would've just meant that future entries would be altered slightly to be more like the previous films, or maybe like Clone Wars or Rebels in tone. Star Wars in general is famous and endearing enough that they could make just about anything for it and it would sell. the whole point of them is to fill in the gaps for the new EU.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 2734
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:36 pm

Star Wars: Rouge One has made $925 million dollars.

It did bomb in China though. That's mainly because the original trilogy wasn't released there, but the prequel trilogy was.

Star Wars 9 won't have CGI Leia.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead2009
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 1162
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Maryland

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:02 pm

Man you throw around the word "bomb" way too much when it comes to movies, lol. Rogue One only bringing in 31 million in China doesnt even really matter in the grand scheme of things.

_______________
Last Movie Watched: Alien 3 (1992).
Last TV Show Watched: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (S2:E46).
Last Video Game Played: Dirt 4 (XBO).
http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Oshronosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
avatar

Posts : 398
Join date : 2016-06-10

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:54 pm

the key words there were "bombed in China", as in "not successful in China specifically". failing financially there doesn't mean that it's suddenly an international failure after making almost a billion and, presumably, still climbing.


i find it more interesting that, for whatever reason it is, the Original Trilogy wasn't released in China at all. i suppose that explains why Backstroke of the West exists, but i wonder why?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:42 am

I mean I know it's exactly not new practice but didn't they start putting some Chinese people in these new films purely because of the Chinese market targeting? It's not really working. Not that it really matter since whether or not film tops 1 billion in time X only matters to people making money of it and sensitive fans
Back to top Go down
Scott B
Dimorphodon
Dimorphodon
avatar

Posts : 176
Join date : 2016-06-11
Age : 26
Location : I am Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:09 pm

I don't know where you got your information but the Original Trilogy was released in China....18 months ago....

The problem is the new Star Wars films are not China's cup of tea apparently. TFA put some to sleep I guess and Rogue is just an easter egg fest to A New Hope and has a REALLY slow start before it revs up to something pretty fun.

Mistral, they did it so that China would release their films in said country and also to drive ticket sales. Iron Man 3 was a prime example where they got an alternate cut just to appeal to China. It is hit and miss.


Osh, not sure if they would have reigned it in to be more like the shows or OT if Rogue failed (although it did get reshot to feel more Star Wars). I think they would have just exhibited tighter control on each production outside of the Episodes and held the director's hands so the movies fit the creative group's "vision". Although i have doubts about that with Kennedy at the helm.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Oshronosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
avatar

Posts : 398
Join date : 2016-06-10

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:07 pm

well that's not really what i'd meant with my earlier post--more just wondering as to why, apparently, only the Prequels got a Chinese release before now
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scott B
Dimorphodon
Dimorphodon
avatar

Posts : 176
Join date : 2016-06-11
Age : 26
Location : I am Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:00 am

Sorry Osh, the China bit wasn't actually directed to you. It was more at Rhedo who reported it (and actually probably not his fault either. Just that it wasn't right per se).

But it was due to China being closed to Western culture until recent IIRC. Nothing got through until close to the Millennium and obviously Star Wars is much older. And then the originals weren't in the spotlight until the late 90s for a small time and never again until TFA. I think it was a combo of inaccessibility, FOX not doing much in the way of re-releasing and just plain bad timing regarding the Chinese market and SW.

I am not sure the Indy movies have ever gone there either. Or something like Jaws.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 2734
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:15 pm

Scott B wrote:
Sorry Osh, the China bit wasn't actually directed to you. It was more at Rhedo who reported it (and actually probably not his fault either. Just that it wasn't right per se).

But it was due to China being closed to Western culture until recent IIRC. Nothing got through until close to the Millennium and obviously Star Wars is much older. And then the originals weren't in the spotlight until the late 90s for a small time and never again until TFA. I think it was a combo of inaccessibility, FOX not doing much in the way of re-releasing and just plain bad timing regarding the Chinese market and SW.

I am not sure the Indy movies have ever gone there either. Or something like Jaws.

You're right, it was due to inaccessibility. Here's what the article about how Rouge One bombing in China said about the originals in China.

Quote :
Part of the problem is that the original Star Wars movies weren't released in China, because the market wasn't open for movies made in the U.S. at the time. The prequel trilogy did get released in China, but those were, as most of us know, not nearly as beloved as the original trilogy to say the least. So, many people in the country aren't as familiar with the characters and universe that Star Wars inhabits. Despite Disney's massive marketing campaigns for both Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, a movie that included two very recognizable Chinese actors in the form of Donnie Yen and Jiang Wen, they haven't been able to crack the market wide open.


Rouge One is the second biggest domestic movie of 2016. Not only that, but it's also the second highest grossing Star Wars movie domestically, too.

So far, it's made just under $980 million dollars.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
T-rex-king
Embryo
Embryo
avatar

Posts : 9
Join date : 2016-08-19

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:29 pm

Just a personal pet peeve...it's Rogue One, not Rouge One
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://z6.invisionfree.com/RPLegacy/index.php?act=idx
Oshronosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
avatar

Posts : 398
Join date : 2016-06-10

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:06 pm

yeah, i wonder if that's just a genuine typo, if a very persistent one, or if everyone's just being facetious Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 2734
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:15 pm

After the Droid army shut down, was there any attempt to turn them back on and use them again by either side? If not, then why. I mean, the Destroyer Droids would still be formidable foes and the Rebels needed a lot of firepower.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scott B
Dimorphodon
Dimorphodon
avatar

Posts : 176
Join date : 2016-06-11
Age : 26
Location : I am Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:09 pm

Short answer is yes, there were attempts in the old continuity. By a Geonosian.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Oshronosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
avatar

Posts : 398
Join date : 2016-06-10

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:29 pm

and there are some still-functioning battle droids in Rebels. most recently, it was some activated by a Geonosian (probably directly inspired by that EU story) but the first big one was by General Kalani, a minor character super tactical droid who appeared during the Onderon arc of The Clone Wars. the gist of it is that, when the order was sent out for all the droid armies to deactive, he calculated that it might have been a trick by the Republic and told his droids to ignore the order and kept "fighting" for the Separatists until Phoenix Squadron (including Rex, Anakin's second-in-command for the 501st) stumbled on them. he's still running around in the galaxy somewhere, but has come to terms with the war ending because neither the Republic nor the Separatists won--the Empire did
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead2009
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 1162
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Maryland

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:07 pm

T-rex-king wrote:
Just a personal pet peeve...it's Rogue One, not Rouge One

They had the latter trending on Twitter when the first trailer dropped lol!

_______________
Last Movie Watched: Alien 3 (1992).
Last TV Show Watched: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (S2:E46).
Last Video Game Played: Dirt 4 (XBO).
http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 2734
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:12 am

It looks like the Boba Fett movie isn't dead yet. It will probably be shown in 2020.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 865
Join date : 2016-06-17
Age : 25
Location : Stratford Upon Avon, England

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:40 am

Still don't care all that much about the idea of a Boba Fett movie. Maybe there's a creative way to portray him without leaning on what the Prequels showed us with Boba being a clone of Jango Fett, like never getting to see his face like how the movie Dredd never showed us Karl Urban's face. One idea I heard from a friend of mine that would interest me is if Jango's cloned son is killed and a new bounty hunter takes his place, complete with a different voice. That be a perfect slap to the face of having Temeura Morrison's voice replace the original voice of Fett in The Empire Strikes Back.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:06 pm

This has turned to one of those franchises for me where there is "obligation" to watch the new upcoming films, even though I don't particularly want to anymore. You know like season 15 of TV series where the fire has long burned out. Alright, the new actual Episodes I'm "sort of" looking forward to (I guess? am I?) but the standalone cash movies I couldn't care less about. Still I feel like if I don't watch them I'm missing something out and left ignorant, as it's such a pop culture phenomena. So I guess I just have to watch them, all 477 of them in sight... it feels like going to work
Back to top Go down
Scott B
Dimorphodon
Dimorphodon
avatar

Posts : 176
Join date : 2016-06-11
Age : 26
Location : I am Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:46 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Still don't care all that much about the idea of a Boba Fett movie. Maybe there's a creative way to portray him without leaning on what the Prequels showed us with Boba being a clone of Jango Fett, like never getting to see his face like how the movie Dredd never showed us Karl Urban's face. One idea I heard from a friend of mine that would interest me is if Jango's cloned son is killed and a new bounty hunter takes his place, complete with a different voice. That be a perfect slap to the face of having Temeura Morrison's voice replace the original voice of Fett in The Empire Strikes Back.

Jason Wingreen thought Star Wars was odd and a simple paycheck. No qualms whatsoever his voice was replaced. The mantle idea is just not good either. Who in their right mind would don the same exact armor and mask and pretend they are Boba Fett instead of making their own name? Kylo Ren would make more sense trying to be Vader at this point.

Accents change over time anyway, and he wasn't around his dad anymore. Boba's voice could change and be reasonable without the mantle stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 736
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 28
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:08 pm

Scott B wrote:
BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Still don't care all that much about the idea of a Boba Fett movie. Maybe there's a creative way to portray him without leaning on what the Prequels showed us with Boba being a clone of Jango Fett, like never getting to see his face like how the movie Dredd never showed us Karl Urban's face. One idea I heard from a friend of mine that would interest me is if Jango's cloned son is killed and a new bounty hunter takes his place, complete with a different voice. That be a perfect slap to the face of having Temeura Morrison's voice replace the original voice of Fett in The Empire Strikes Back.

Jason Wingreen thought Star Wars was odd and a simple paycheck. No qualms whatsoever his voice was replaced. The mantle idea is just not good either. Who in their right mind would don the same exact armor and mask and pretend they are Boba Fett instead of making their own name? Kylo Ren would make more sense trying to be  Vader at this point.

Accents change over time anyway, and he wasn't around his dad anymore. Boba's voice could change and be reasonable without the mantle stuff.

I'll throw a nerd fit if they do go with the mantle idea for a Boba movie. Not because I'm in love with what they did to Boba, but I feel like that is slapping Lucas in the face. I get he sold it all to Disney, its theirs to do with as they please, but they bought it and are selling the current editions as the canon offering right now. Just because someone, even Lawrence Kasdan who I believe originated the story idea of the Fett mantle, who had involvement in previous Star Wars entries, I don't feel has the right to overwrite a particular piece. For all the sacrilege it'd be, if Disney said "We want to shape our own Star Wars universe, so we're remaking the original trilogy and the prequel trilogy, and making our canon from there" in like 30 years, I'd more ok with that, than if Disney suddenly said "We appreciate what we paid for from George, but his prequels are too infamous. We're going to be remaking Episodes I-III in our own idea of what happened, and they are the canon version now. We'll look to see if Clone Wars still works before deciding it's canon fate." (Which would cause problems for their Rebels series as well.).

In the new EU, some guy has Boba's Sarlacc damaged armor, which they don't really explain how it got where it was. I figure it means Boba did escape, or someone killed the Sarlacc and retrieved stuff from it's insides. I don't mind moving forward someone using the mantle, or using the armor as an intimidation tactic. It makes for a different story than some of the outlandish things done to Boba in the old EU.

_______________
Make the Sayles JP IV script into an animated series! Admit it, you'd watch it.
 
"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 2734
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:01 pm

TheDreamMaster wrote:
Scott B wrote:
BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Still don't care all that much about the idea of a Boba Fett movie. Maybe there's a creative way to portray him without leaning on what the Prequels showed us with Boba being a clone of Jango Fett, like never getting to see his face like how the movie Dredd never showed us Karl Urban's face. One idea I heard from a friend of mine that would interest me is if Jango's cloned son is killed and a new bounty hunter takes his place, complete with a different voice. That be a perfect slap to the face of having Temeura Morrison's voice replace the original voice of Fett in The Empire Strikes Back.

Jason Wingreen thought Star Wars was odd and a simple paycheck. No qualms whatsoever his voice was replaced. The mantle idea is just not good either. Who in their right mind would don the same exact armor and mask and pretend they are Boba Fett instead of making their own name? Kylo Ren would make more sense trying to be  Vader at this point.

Accents change over time anyway, and he wasn't around his dad anymore. Boba's voice could change and be reasonable without the mantle stuff.

I'll throw a nerd fit if they do go with the mantle idea for a Boba movie. Not because I'm in love with what they did to Boba, but I feel like that is slapping Lucas in the face. I get he sold it all to Disney, its theirs to do with as they please, but they bought it and are selling the current editions as the canon offering right now. Just because someone, even Lawrence Kasdan who I believe originated the story idea of the Fett mantle, who had involvement in previous Star Wars entries, I don't feel has the right to overwrite a particular piece. For all the sacrilege it'd be, if Disney said "We want to shape our own Star Wars universe, so we're remaking the original trilogy and the prequel trilogy, and making our canon from there" in like 30 years, I'd more ok with that, than if Disney suddenly said "We appreciate what we paid for from George, but his prequels are too infamous. We're going to be remaking Episodes I-III in our own idea of what happened, and they are the canon version now. We'll look to see if Clone Wars still works before deciding it's canon fate." (Which would cause problems for their Rebels series as well.).      

In the new EU, some guy has Boba's Sarlacc damaged armor, which they don't really explain how it got where it was. I figure it means Boba did escape, or someone killed the Sarlacc and retrieved stuff from it's insides. I don't mind moving forward someone using the mantle, or using the armor as an intimidation tactic. It makes for a different story than some of the outlandish things done to Boba in the old EU.

^All of this. You can't all of a sudden replace the old Boba Fett with a 'new' one. That would be like how the 1986 Animated Transformers movie replaced Optimus Prime with Rodimus Prime (And even then, they least they had enough common sense to have Megatron to fire the killing shots.) and how JP3 shoved down a new big carnivorous dinosaur down our throats (Spinosaurus). The only way how that can work was if Jango had a conventional biological son that he abandoned before he had Boba, and even that probably wouldn't work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 865
Join date : 2016-06-17
Age : 25
Location : Stratford Upon Avon, England

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:55 pm

Maybe I just don't know enough about Boba Fett to even comment on him properly. I tried to dive headlong into discussing a character who I think is kind of overrated anyway.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 736
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 28
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:22 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Maybe I just don't know enough about Boba Fett to even comment on him properly. I tried to dive headlong into discussing a character who I think is kind of overrated anyway.

I mean if you know the movies, you know enough. In terms of actual canon, Boba is only in Episode II, V, VI, and a handful of Clone Wars episodes. Maybe a novel or a couple comics but I'm not as up to date on those. My complaints mostly fall on screwing with what Lucas wanted. In terms of the films I'm not even a huge fan of Episode II, but I respect Lucas because he did what he wanted with his own money, and didn't back down to all the people who were already complaining about Phantom Menace. I don't think it'd be fair that he, and to a lesser extent Dave Filoni with Clone Wars, built an actual story for the character and then someone who hasn't been involved in the franchise for years, or potentially at all comes and completely changes the character. Lucas may not own Star Wars anymore, but it would feel like a huge disservice to him, especially after all that early controversy over Disney tossing out his sequel treatments. (Not that his treatments may have been fantastic, and TFA turned out mostly fine.)

_______________
Make the Sayles JP IV script into an animated series! Admit it, you'd watch it.
 
"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 2734
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:57 pm

I remember reading that Sith/Dark Force users lightsabers have been ret-conned that the synthetic crystals are non-canon and that they get them from dead Jedi and their negative use of the force somehow corrupts the color of the blade into red. Is that true? If so, how did Klyo Ren get his lightsaber if he didn't make it? Is he the first Dark Force use to make his own lightsaber then?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scott B
Dimorphodon
Dimorphodon
avatar

Posts : 176
Join date : 2016-06-11
Age : 26
Location : I am Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:09 pm

Synthetic crystals are still canon. They were re-established although they are exceptionally dangerous to use now.

Getting them off dead Jedi and corrupting them hasn't ever been right though IIRC.

Kylo Ren just found a red kyber (grates me to write kyber instead of kaiburr) crystal and used that. Since red can be found naturally.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 736
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 28
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:17 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
I remember reading that Sith/Dark Force users lightsabers have been ret-conned that the synthetic crystals are non-canon and that they get them from dead Jedi and their negative use of the force somehow corrupts the color of the blade into red. Is that true? If so, how did Klyo Ren get his lightsaber if he didn't make it? Is he the first Dark Force use to make his own lightsaber then?

So from what I remember, I think this was referring to the Inquisitors, when originally talked about recently. From Wookiepdia, it says "Kyber crystals were inherently attuned to the light side of the Force, and would attempt to resist any effort by dark side practitioners to utilize them in lightsabers. To this end, the only way a Sith, or other darksider could make use of a kyber crystal was to use the Force to dominate the crystal, bending it to their will. This process would cause the crystal to "bleed", as if it were a living organism, resulting in the distinctive crimson-bladed lightsabers synonymous with the Sith. However it was also possible to "heal" a kyber crystal corrupted in this way. The only known instance of purifying a corrupted kyber crystal was when Ahsoka Tano purified the two crystals she retrieved from the Sixth Brother's lightsaber following his defeat. In this case, the crystals turned white."

There's another article where synthetic kyber crystals are still a thing, but by official sources, the lightsabers of all canon Sith were not synthetic, and made by the method above.


_______________
Make the Sayles JP IV script into an animated series! Admit it, you'd watch it.
 
"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead2009
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 1162
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Maryland

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:16 am

Star Wars: Episode VIII Title Officially Revealed as Star Wars: The Last Jedi!

_______________
Last Movie Watched: Alien 3 (1992).
Last TV Show Watched: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (S2:E46).
Last Video Game Played: Dirt 4 (XBO).
http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:38 am

It's alright.
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 865
Join date : 2016-06-17
Age : 25
Location : Stratford Upon Avon, England

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:59 am

The Last Jedi sounds like a fair title to me; it's certainly better than The X Strikes Back or Attack of the Y. Nice and straightforward.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 2734
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:37 pm

Is it just me, or does the title pretty much give away that Kylo Ren/Ben Solo is finally going to kill off Uncle Luke?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:53 pm

Maybe Luke's gone to the dark side and there are no jedi. Except Rey when she eventually becomes one.

Or after Luke trains Rey to become Jedi Knight and she leaves him to fight off Ren in Cloud City -equivalent location, where her friends are being held hostage by the new Empire after Lando-equivalent betrayed them, maybe Luke just dies off (naturally or by own hand). And we will have just one new Jedi in the galaxy. Again.
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 865
Join date : 2016-06-17
Age : 25
Location : Stratford Upon Avon, England

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:21 pm

I would be sorely disappointed if the Empire similarities were that obvious. Somehow, that wouldn't fit with Rian Johnson's style; Abrams on the other hand is no stranger to drawing such parallels.

As for Luke, I don't know. He might make it into the next film, and die there. Remember, 'Jedi' is a plural for itself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dance2nite
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
avatar

Posts : 362
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 24
Location : Melbourne, Australia

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:55 pm

I like the title, simple yet effective, better than "The First Order Strikes Back" which was rumoured last year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scott B
Dimorphodon
Dimorphodon
avatar

Posts : 176
Join date : 2016-06-11
Age : 26
Location : I am Everywhere

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:08 pm

Good title. Might have been too on the nose for IX.

The only question is if it refers to Luke or Rey. Likely Luke. Since Rey can still train and NOT be a Jedi. And without it paralleling ESB. Return of the Jedi lowkey refers to Anakin Skywalker.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 736
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 28
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:18 am

Scott B wrote:
Good title. Might have been too on the nose for IX.

The only question is if it refers to Luke or Rey. Likely Luke. Since Rey can still train and NOT be a Jedi. And without it paralleling ESB. Return of the Jedi lowkey refers to Anakin Skywalker.

To be fair, Jedi can be plural. So "The Last Jedi" could refer to the last group, or in this case Luke and Rey.

_______________
Make the Sayles JP IV script into an animated series! Admit it, you'd watch it.
 
"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 2734
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:06 pm

Star Wars: Rouge One has made over $1 billion dollars.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Oshronosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
avatar

Posts : 398
Join date : 2016-06-10

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:42 pm

incidentally, our old webmaster Tyrannosaur commented on facebook that the new title is rather ominous, especially with how it was presented--red lettering instead of the usual yellow, so who knows what all this could mean?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 2734
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:52 pm

I still say that Luke is going to get offed by his deranged nephew.



Last edited by Rhedosaurus on Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smaugtheterrible
Hatchling
Hatchling
avatar

Posts : 65
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Queens, NY

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:52 pm

I'm almost hesitant to even guess who the "Last Jedi" is (or are). It could be Luke, it could be Rey... that all seems too simple though. Maybe it's even Kylo Ren! I still hope for more focus on non-Jedi force users, as well.

Either way, I'm hoping for a good movie!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheRexMan22
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 262
Join date : 2016-06-08
Location : A Farm

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:46 pm

Goosebumps! I can guess this is the one where we'll learn whether Ren's really evil at heart, or if he can be turned.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 736
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 28
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:34 am

Rhedosaurus wrote:
I still say that Luke is going to get offed by his deranged nephew.

I have to ask. Considering how the X-wings were more heavily armed and armored then the TIE fighters, at least the TIE intereceptors had better firepower, and how Lucas based Star Wars off WW2, is it possible that the TIE fighters were based off the Japanese Zero and other lightly armed and armored fighter early in the war and the X-Wings were based off American planes F4 Wildcat, F4U Corsair, and the F6 Hellcat.

I've been thinking about that for sometime, even more so with a really good book about Japanese military aircraft of WW2 that I got for Christmas.

I'm sorry, but if they have to do away with Leia, I'm going to be very mad if Kylo takes out Luke. We may not need an OT carry over past Episode IX, but Kylo got his big kill with his father. Having him kill off Luke, it comes in in that bad fanfiction kind of way (similarly, despite my love of TFA, to how I relate Rey's sudden instantaneous knowledge of how to use the Force.). Unless you've never read that fan fiction, you know the one, "I've got this character, and he's the most powerful Sith, he learned from Darth Plagueis but they thought he died, but he didn't. And he was Darth Maul's father, so he's got the red and black tattoos, and he uses two double blades lightsabers. And when he shows, he kills Luke and destroys everyone, except my OC Jedi, who has to learn to use all the Force because they're the only Jedi left now."

Kylo Ren certainly isn't that over the top, and I guess you could argue he's a younger guy fighting older characters, but I really don't feel he deserves to kill off anymore of our major characters.

_______________
Make the Sayles JP IV script into an animated series! Admit it, you'd watch it.
 
"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Oshronosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
avatar

Posts : 398
Join date : 2016-06-10

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:01 pm

smaugtheterrible wrote:
I'm almost hesitant to even guess who the "Last Jedi" is (or are). It could be Luke, it could be Rey... that all seems too simple though. Maybe it's even Kylo Ren! I still hope for more focus on non-Jedi force users, as well.

Either way, I'm hoping for a good movie!
hell, for all we know it could actually be referring to Ahsoka!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   

Back to top Go down
 
The Star Wars thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
 Similar topics
-
» The Official Star Wars Thread
» Vintage Star Wars calendars on Ebay!
» COX Star Wars R/C Landspeeder What is it worth?
» Star Wars Birthday party for Colorado girl
» May KC Legoland Star Wars Weekends 5/4-5/13

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Jurassic Mainframe Forums :: The Innovation Center :: Off-Topic Discussions-
Jump to: