HomeMainframeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Star Wars thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:46 am

@Troyal1 wrote:
Wait. Is there a source saying we will eventually get 2 per year possibly?

Well isn't the premiere of Han Solo Anthology-whatever just 5 months after Episode 8 already? That's 2 within a year.
Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:10 pm

Mistral wrote:
@Troyal1 wrote:
Wait. Is there a source saying we will eventually get 2 per year possibly?

Well isn't the premiere of Han Solo Anthology-whatever just 5 months after Episode 8 already? That's 2 within a year.

While they technically fall in separate years, that is a good point. I think it's the only time it'll happen for a while though.

"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Indominus rex
Indominus rex

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:21 pm

Rian Johnson's story treatment for Episode IX won't be the basis for the film

I really have to wonder how this is going to pan out. Johnson is generally regarded as a better writer and director than Trevorrow, and I am of still fairly mixed opinions of Derek Connolly, so just how closely the folks at Lucasfilm are going to watch this script and production will be interesting. Even more so considering this will not feature Leia and might have to deal with her absence as tastefully and smartly as possible.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:49 am

RLM just posted commentary track for Rogue Bore. There's a dead horse in it.
https://redlettermedia.bandcamp.com/track/star-wars-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-commentary-track

Holy ecstasy, Kristen Wiig! My Saturday is saved!

Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:10 pm

Mistral wrote:
RLM just posted commentary track for Rogue Bore. There's a dead horse in it.
https://redlettermedia.bandcamp.com/track/star-wars-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-commentary-track

Holy ecstasy, Kristen Wiig! My Saturday is saved!

I'll never agree with RLM. I love the prequels and I love Rogue One and no matter how many people tell me to listen to RLM, I just won't agree. That's the beauty of opinions though.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
evolution_rex
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:14 pm

IT BROKE NEW GRROOUUUNNDD!

Listening to it right now. I loved Rogue One but I also love RLM.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://letterboxd.com/evolution_rex/

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:03 pm

It was great to watch the film for the second time. I mean it was just as terrible as the last time, because I very much find it to be piece of crap fanservice galore, but the commentary elevated it to very much watchable. Thank you RLM. I'd never ever endured this thing again otherwise.

There are some juicy snags at Trevorrow and yes-man directors during the final battle btw if you haven't listened yet.

And no as I've said before  I don't agree with them all the time, not even most the time. It's probably 50% with Mike and only 25-40% with Jay (especially since I don't really care about horror), but even when I don't agree I can't see the points behind most of the time. It's the portrayal more than the actual opinions anyway.

Btw it's nice of them to continue with commentary tracks. Their newer show re:View had gotten me bit worried that these tracks would be done for good, and in 2016 they did only 2 commentaries (Masters of the Universe + Gremlins) after as much as 6 in 2015. It's my favorite property of theirs after Best of the Worst.
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Indominus rex
Indominus rex

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:38 pm

Mistral wrote:
It was great to watch the film for the second time. I mean it was just as terrible as the last time, because I very much find it to be piece of crap fanservice galore, but the commentary elevated it to very much watchable. Thank you RLM. I'd never ever endured this thing again otherwise.

There are some juicy snags at Trevorrow and yes-man directors during the final battle btw if you haven't listened yet.

Well, you're not exactly alone; youtube critic Chris Stuckmann's extensive essay and frequent digs at Rogue One on Twitter were hard not to notice. Truth be told, I'm tired of arguing about Star Wars, that's why I'm on a bit of a Ray Harryhausen and 2D DreamWorks Animation kick.

Also, out of curiosity, what sort of snags/digs does RLM make towards Trevorrow and other directors-for-hire? I only ask because I'm really as much of a RLM fan as I used to be and I'm not really interested in their commentary.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Troyal1
Indominus rex
Indominus rex

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:34 pm

My problem with Rogue One is that I simply HATED every character besides the father who helped build the Death Star. 

I didn't feel like they did a good job of making it feel like a war film, and honestly, I hate to go "there" but my dislike for the characters also stretches to them not really feeling like a team.... which reminded me a lot of suicide squad(es I'm going there lol) and the way it handled its team aspect(which was awful imo). 

Now I think Rogue one is leagues better than SS. But I think tons of its flaws are glossed over just because you get to see all that beautiful Star Wars Nostalgia on screen. 

Not hating on anyone who loves the movie but that's how I felt about it. Also I like the end scene but I do take some issue with it. I think it would have been better to have our main characters, or atleast some of them be cut down by Vader. And then at the end the scene changes way too fast from horror to hope. It feels jarring everytime I see it. 

I give it like a 6/10 at most. This movie is built around the team and mission, and because that didn't work for me, the film didn't work for me besides a few standout moments.

Edit @TheDreamMaster I've gotten to where I like the prequels too. More than TFA anyway.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:55 pm

@BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Also, out of curiosity, what sort of snags/digs does RLM make towards Trevorrow and other directors-for-hire? I only ask because I'm really as much of a RLM fan as I used to be and I'm not really interested in their commentary.

Well this is my attempt of doing a transcript of that exchange. Keep in mind that I'm not fluent at english so it took over an hour to write it down and it is probably not 100% accurate as far grammar goes. Also I didn't get one name Jay says and what Rich says in one instance

Mike: "--I don't know who to blame here."
Jay: "I... yeah. I wanna blame Gareth Edwards on the tone. But then you think about all the re-shoots, like how many other people were responsible for that. But I mean seeing Gareth Edward's other movies, this is right in line with that. Which is you know fine visuals but incredibly boring and you don't care about the characters. That was his Godzilla movie too."
Mike: "Yeah... umm, but yeah they said they were like 'We put him in this movie Monsters, and then we all walked out of the meeting and said, yep that's the guy we want to direct the film...'"
Jay: "Hmm."
Mike: "... like for some reason. I don't know"
Jay: "Well the whole idea with that movie is that it's clever film making because you rarely see the monsters. It was done next to like no budget. Umm and I think, I could be wrong, but I think he did all the visual effects himself? Like he's one of those kind of like DIY film makers? Umm. But I don't see how you can get anything out of that movie that would make you think he should helm a 200 million dollar blockbuster. But that's what they do all the time now! They take all these people that make a little indie film, and then their next film immediately is like a blockbuster. And I think it's because they can boss them around easier that way."
Mike: "Yeah, that's what I was going to say."
Jay: "Josh ... (???), they did that with, the, what's his face, the guy who did Jurassic World."
Mike: "Yeah, you want someone who's competent but is also a yes-man."
Jay: "Yeah."
Mike: "You know, you know and who probably works for less than a, Spielberg, or you know a, James Cameron. Like really it would be like - okay. And someone like that too would also have the gravitas to be like 'No that's stupid. --'"
Mike: "-- I'm not putting in cartoon Grand Moff Tarkin. He's not in the movie, f*ck you'"
Jay: "You want someone that will keep the movie on track, but if you decide you want to reshoot 50% of it, will go along with it..."
Mike: "Yes yes."
Jay: "... and not put up a fight, or fight for his artistic vision."
Mike: "Yes, that's exactly what you want in film maker. Someone who will not put up a fight for their artistic vision."
Jay: "This is pure speculation but I'm guessing there's a reason why JJ Abrams didn't want to do more Star Wars movies after the Force Awakens."
Mike: "Yeaaaah."
Jay: "For someone who was a huge Star Wars fan."
Rich: "*Agreement*"
Jay: "You would think he would want to stick with that. But he didn't. He was done. One and done."
Rich: [in sarcastic nerd voice] "But the Star Wars films have had different directors"
Jay: "That's true. I mean I'm not gonna argue that, but he seem to... I don't know. You don't hear him talking too excitedly about working on Star Wars anymore. Once the movie was done I think he was just kind of done with it."
Rich: "(???) -- troubling to me"
Mike: "He did two Star Trek movies even. And he doesn't even like Star Trek. He was like 'I have to go watch it before I said I made those movies'. Probably a little more creative freedom there."
Jay: "I'm actually looking forward to Last Jedi because I think Rian Johnson is more interesting film maker than JJ Abrams. But then man that third movie is Colin Trevorrow. Who I guess directed your favorite movie Jurassic World, but that's got me worried."
Mike: "Oh yeah... they're all gonna look and feel the same Jay."
Jay: "That's probably true."
Mike: "They will all look and feel like all the movies have already."
Jay: "Okay."
Mike: "You're not gonna get a Irvin Kershner again."
Mike: "They're all going to be Richard Marquand".
Jay: "Oh nooooooooooooo!"
Mike: [in british accent] "'I will do everything you say George! Of course, whatever you say, whatever the committee says, I'll do!' --"
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Indominus rex
Indominus rex

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:10 pm

Thank you for the transcription! English might not be your first language (which to be honest, I did not know in the slightest!) but you're just as fluent as any one of us here. Wink

After giving it a read, it's not really as shocking as I expected. I've certainly read worse on a variety of different websites. Okay so they compared Trevorrow to Richard Marquand... Honestly, I've heard worse. And to be honest, with Kathleen Kennedy being labelled as the "Kevin Fiege of Lucasfilm", there is a certain element of executive decision-making rather than old fashioned auteur-ship. Though I agree with them about Rian Johnson being the most experienced and talented of the three chosen directors.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:16 pm

Well they are giving comedic element to the discussion while still being honest about it. And as much as they disliked the film, none of them even said they directly hated it (like I Razz). If they were sellouts like Screen Junkies or whoever they'd probably shout polarizing opinions all around just because

And yeah I guess my written english alright, I mean all I did was copy it from audio lol, but spoken not so much lol
Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Indominus rex
Indominus rex

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:59 pm

Wow. What is about people on Reddit who just can't take opinions? @Mistral

They are roasting the hell out of RLM and saying they are bullying people for not liking a movie! No they are not! It's their opinion. I literally just posted that I found their views a breath of fresh air and that by callithrm idiots, you're doing the same thing you claim they Do! 

I just got downvoted to hell for saying basically " I love their videos as they are breath of fresh air and remind us that different opinions can exist. Everyone I know in the real world thinks Rogue One and TFA are either 10/10 or 1/10. So it's nice to see some middle ground thoughts". I even posted that I was going to give the last Jedi a chance and was looking forward to seeing it.

I guess I will just never understand why people get so upset over such a benign comment as the one I made or a review video. It won't stop them from loving SW. And yes I realize I'm a bit of a hypocrite for actually taking the time to care enough to write this post about downvotes from anonymous people lol. 

I just wish people didn't view a difference of opinion on a FILM as an attack on their character lol.

Edit: this is why I was sad IMDB got knocked down. Neither fanboys or haters could downvote or upvote you, so your voice was heard no matter what!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Troyal1
Indominus rex
Indominus rex

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:03 pm

@BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Thank you for the transcription! English might not be your first language (which to be honest, I did not know in the slightest!) but you're just as fluent as any one of us here. Wink

After giving it a read, it's not really as shocking as I expected. I've certainly read worse on a variety of different websites. Okay so they compared Trevorrow to Richard Marquand... Honestly, I've heard worse. And to be honest, with Kathleen Kennedy being labelled as the "Kevin Fiege of Lucasfilm", there is a certain element of executive decision-making rather than old fashioned auteur-ship. Though I agree with them about Rian Johnson being the most experienced and talented of the three chosen directors.
Sorry for the double post but fun little fact. In the last days of IMDB(probably like 2 days before the boards closed). It dawned on me I had never checked Colin's page. 

The last message that had been posted was "this guy is the next Richard Marquand!!!" lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:04 pm

@Troyal1 wrote:
@BarrytheOnyx wrote:

Sorry for the double post but fun little fact. In the last days of IMDB(probably like 2 days before the boards closed). It dawned on me I had never checked Colin's page. 

The last message that had been posted was "this guy is the next Richard Marquand!!!" lol.

Lol that is epic
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:13 pm

Oh by the way there was very interesting (another) plot hole Mike brought up during the commentary that I hadn't thought before (the uber fans on the web probably but whatever). So, when the Rebel ships jump from hyperspace to the tropical planet, just on top of it... how exactly did they come completely unnoticed? In ESB, when admiral Ozzel flies the Imperial fleet to closely to Hoth, Rebellion becomes aware of their presence. Which is the very reason Ozzel is killed by Vader. But here in this movie, the Empire has no idea they are coming and are caught completely off guard.

Though I have to say I was shocked by Mike not remembering the name of admiral Ozzel, or being 100% familiar with the details. I thought he goes to bed with that movie Razz it's even implied in one of the Plinkett reviews lol.

Also as side note, even if they can jump there unnoticed under some excuse, how can they do their hyperspace calculations so precisely so not to collide with the Imperial ships flying all around? Such leap of faith.

Anyhow after that, later this evening, I just had to rewatch the battle of Hoth sequence from start to finish. It's so amazing still, after billionth viewing, as is the whole film. How can they have made this perfect diamond of a movie 37 years ago, and (IMO) nothing of importance since then? It's just so... perfect. And then I watch something like Rogue One and want to hang myself.
Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:17 am

^ That seems a bit dramatic lol. I'm never going to argue over one person's opinion, but it's so hard for me to understand how you hate it that much. But I'm also someone who loves the prequels, likes to turn my brain off and enjoy the later Fast and Furious films, and generally loves watching bad movies for the unintentional entertainment value.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:21 am

Well I have many weird opinions as well as you know, and can enjoy bad movies (The Room and Samurai Cop are like the best ever) but with these Star Wars movies, they just give me headache for being so lazy. ROTJ started it with the second Death Star and family friendly marketable plot lines
Back to top Go down
CT-1138
Dinosaur Fact File Curator

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Tue May 02, 2017 4:21 pm

Bought this epic E-11 replica on Etsy last night! Apparently, it's 501st approved!

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://abekowalski.deviantart.com/
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Tue May 02, 2017 6:56 pm

TBS to Celebrate May the 4th with Star Wars Movie Marathon
Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/843915-tbs-to-celebrate-may-the-4th-with-star-wars-movie-marathon#Cm1OzpxR9aj1GPAg.99

http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Thu May 04, 2017 5:20 pm

It looks like Luke's self-exile will be the main focal point of Star Wars 8.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Thu May 04, 2017 5:34 pm

“Yes … The big [favor] was, I asked if R2 could come with Rey, and if BB-8 could stay behind with the Resistance,” Johnson says. “Originally it was BB-8 who went with Rey, which makes sense for the story in a way. But I asked, ‘Can you do me this solid and switch the droids?’”

Ria is right. It would be impossible to do the new Dagobah scenes without R2 beeping there.

Anyway. I think the reason they have it there because Luke will record a "final" message for Leia or whoever with R2.
Back to top Go down
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Thu May 04, 2017 6:49 pm

Not sure which game it's for, but production stills of Rey's and Kylo Ren's full costumes for TLJ:
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Thu May 04, 2017 7:08 pm

@CT-1138 wrote:
Not sure which game it's for, but production stills of Rey's and Kylo Ren's full costumes for TLJ:

I find it a little odd that Kylo Ren/Ben Solo doesn't have any armor. One would think he would have gained some after what happened on The Death Planet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Oshronosaurus
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Thu May 04, 2017 7:29 pm

of course, armor usually doesn't seem to do much for individuals in Star Wars in the first place. i think only Mandalorian armor is of any real use against both blasters and lightsabers, and it can't be all that useful as well considering plenty of characters wearing it have still succumbed to blaster fire (Jedi and Sith seem to prefer going for the neck)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Levine
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Thu May 04, 2017 8:11 pm

May the Fourth be with this thread. Razz

Twitter: @jurassifreak
Instagram: @jurassifreak
Facebook: dm
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Thu May 04, 2017 8:13 pm

It's already fifth here. Too late
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Fri May 05, 2017 11:33 am

This wasn't half bad

Also great overview from Mark. Lol the Transformers comparison bit is amazing

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Mon May 08, 2017 7:19 pm

Kylo Ren's starfighter has been reveled and it looks like an upgraded TIE Interceptor.

I always liked those things.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sun May 14, 2017 9:43 am

The original ending for Revenge Of The Sith has been revealed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Wed May 24, 2017 3:53 pm

Here are 4 Vanity Fair covers for 'The Last Jedi'.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Wed May 24, 2017 4:21 pm

Also, a TON of pics from the online version of the VF article.

WARNING: bring your tissues. Sad
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sun May 28, 2017 6:09 pm

It looks like we might finally have our first look at Snoke in his physical form.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Indominus rex
Indominus rex

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sun May 28, 2017 6:17 pm

Why does Supreme Leader Snoke look like a bald prison convict?? I'm sure its supposed to be robes, at least I hope so, so this is pretty underwhelming...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sun May 28, 2017 6:53 pm

Well that's not underwhelming or anything lol. I'm more excited by the black BB-unit next to him.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Oshronosaurus
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sun May 28, 2017 8:58 pm

well that is the Lego version of him, after all Razz i'd bet that the actual Snoke will look alot more intimidating, or at least creepier. i imagine when he appears in person that he'll basically look like Space Voldemort
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Tue May 30, 2017 7:57 pm

It has been confirmed that Supreme Leader Snoke is not human.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Troyal1
Indominus rex
Indominus rex

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:35 am

Colin talks about Reworking SW without Carrie Fisher. 

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/colin-trevorrow-talks-reworking-star-wars-9-without-carrie-fisher-100255580.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:13 pm

No words can describe how great this is.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Troyal1
Indominus rex
Indominus rex

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:49 pm

Not sure how I feel about the battlefront 2 gameplay today.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Indominus rex
Indominus rex

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:03 am

The fact that there are two Star Wars: Battlefront 1 and 2 games is still confusing to me...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:47 pm

So Book of Henry is getting some really word of mouth so far. No reviews out yet though. I'm a huge fan of Jurassic World but should we be worried about Trevorrow at the helm of Episode IX, especially as he has rewriting duties with Carrie gone?

Seriously, one of the tweets from an early screening tonight said "Will someday be shown in triple feature with The Room and Birdemic. Seriously."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sickle_Claw

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:14 am

@TheDreamMaster wrote:
So Book of Henry is getting some really word of mouth so far. No reviews out yet though. I'm a huge fan of Jurassic World but should we be worried about Trevorrow at the helm of Episode IX, especially as he has rewriting duties with Carrie gone?

Seriously, one of the tweets from an early screening tonight said "Will someday be shown in triple feature with The Room and Birdemic. Seriously."

Yeah, Variety and The Hollywood reporter both gave it bad reviews. I am kind of unsure, I know this wasnt a big studio film though.

dance2nite
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:46 am

I am glad Colin didn't write the script for BOH as that is what most people have the biggest problem with. I am also glad though he is not returning the Jurassic sequel as Bayona is a much BETTER director but am still a bit worried about his & Derek's script, I mean JW's was not a disaster but it was a bit corny & off at times so hopefully they have improved & I'll be happy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:16 pm

The Jedi Council forums are chaos over Trevorrow right now.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   

Back to top Go down

The Star Wars thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 8 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next