The Star Wars thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
AuthorMessage
CT-1138
Dinosaur Fact File Curator

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:42 pm

I'm not sure what to think of Trevorrow after this. I mean, Jurassic World could have had a lot of super cringe, but was well executed for the most part. The themes behind the film didn't really jive with the themes in the rest of the franchise, what with the whole in your face anti-mainstream message. Really, I sometimes get the feeling (completely without proof mind you) that he's just a hipster making hipster movies with w hipster appeal. And it's just backfiring on him. I like Jurassic World... but I don't love it no matter how much I want to. A lot of my faith in him has been shaken, and I don't think JW is going to last as well outside of the fandom as it will inside it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://abekowalski.deviantart.com/
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:31 pm

@CT-1138 wrote:
I'm not sure what to think of Trevorrow after this. I mean,  Jurassic World could have had a lot of super cringe, but was well executed for the most part. The themes behind the film didn't really jive with the themes in the rest of the franchise, what with the whole in your face anti-mainstream message. Really, I sometimes get the feeling (completely without proof mind you) that he's just a hipster making hipster movies with w hipster appeal. And it's just backfiring on him. I like Jurassic World... but I don't love it no matter how much I want to. A lot of my faith in him has been shaken, and I don't think JW is going to last as well outside of the fandom as it will inside it.

I'm beginning to wonder if Spielberg was the real reason for JW's success via him being the Executive Producer and the fact that it should have been better was a sign of his magic touch fading away or him not caring as much. I think that Trevorrow is a nice man, but that he was thrown in to the big screen far too soon and Spielberg being the puppetmaster winded up saving Trevorrow's career.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:24 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:

I'm beginning to wonder if Spielberg was the real reason for JW's success via him being the Executive Producer and the fact  that it should have been better was a sign of his magic touch fading away or him not caring as much. I think that Trevorrow is a nice man, but that he was thrown in to the big screen far too soon and Spielberg being the puppetmaster winded up saving Trevorrow's career.  

If he had directed it wholesale, it would have looked and felt more like his own creation. But that would only have happened if he wanted to direct it and felt the risk was worth it. His clout would have allowed for animatronics, something an inexperienced and relatively low-ranking director like Colin could not have achieved without really pushing for just ONE, the Apatosaurus head. Heck, he even vetoed a suggestion from Colin that the Indominus would tear apart a robotic T. rex replica before fighting Rexy, not liking the implication of CGI being superior to Stan Winston's animatronics. But I'm not convinced that Spielberg had more influence than we already knew that he had, which was pretty high; enough to avoid another JP3 style misfire.

Meanwhile, I dare not wonder what fans on the Star Wars message boards are saying, probably calling for Trevorrow's death by a variety of medieval modes of torture and execution...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dance2nite
Ankylosaurus
Ankylosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:29 pm

Some SW fans really are over the top, JW was a good film, not a great one, but a GOOD one. I think they are scared they will get a film more in line with a prequel than an original but seriously do they really expect to get something as good as A New Hope or Empire again? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Oshronosaurus
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:27 pm

@dance2nite wrote:
Some SW fans really are over the top,  JW was a good film, not a great one, but a GOOD one. I think they are scared they will get a film more in line with a prequel than an original but seriously do they really expect to get something as good as A New Hope or Empire again? Rolling Eyes
in my experience, dedicated Star Wars fans (as opposed to more casual ones like me) are unpleasable babies who think/thought George Lucas is/was their personal bitch. they won't be satisfied with anything in the franchise that isn't their beloved Empire Strikes Back so, frankly, i don't take any of their opinions into consideration when it comes to the future of the franchise--if it were up to them the next film would just be Boba Fett standing around looking cool for two hours
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dance2nite
Ankylosaurus
Ankylosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:03 am

@Oshronosaurus wrote:
@dance2nite wrote:
Some SW fans really are over the top,  JW was a good film, not a great one, but a GOOD one. I think they are scared they will get a film more in line with a prequel than an original but seriously do they really expect to get something as good as A New Hope or Empire again? Rolling Eyes
in my experience, dedicated Star Wars fans (as opposed to more casual ones like me) are unpleasable babies who think/thought George Lucas is/was their personal bitch. they won't be satisfied with anything in the franchise that isn't their beloved Empire Strikes Back so, frankly, i don't take any of their opinions into consideration when it comes to the future of the franchise--if it were up to them the next film would just be Boba Fett standing around looking cool for two hours

Personally I think Colin can deliver something at least as good as TFA or ROTS, may have some cringe dialogue at times but for the most part he will most likely deliver a decent film like he did with JW. SW fans will know more regarding the Ep.9's script after JW2 comes out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:01 pm

It looks like Colin Trevorrow's position as the director for Star Wars 9 is safe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:30 pm

Carrie Fisher's autopsy reveals cocktail of drugs in her system, including cocaine, heroine, and ecstasy.

Goddammit Carrie. I still love you as a hero of my childhood, but I can't help but think you might still be here if not for this.

"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:07 pm

@TheDreamMaster wrote:
Carrie Fisher's autopsy reveals cocktail of drugs in her system, including cocaine, heroine, and ecstasy.

Goddammit Carrie. I still love you as a hero of my childhood, but I can't help but think you might still be here if not for this.

It also reveled that the main cause of her death was sleep apneia. Maybe she thought that all those drugs would would help her fight that off. In any case, it's really sad that the Hollywood lifestyle may have indirectly caused her death after all. TBH, considering all she went through, I'm surprised that she lived as long as she did.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:54 pm

Well I'm not so interested in the Han Solo prequel anymore.

Phil Lord and Chris Miller have left, cite creative differences.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sickle_Claw

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:01 pm

@TheDreamMaster wrote:

They had THREE WEEKS left of filming but somehow plan to keep on their filming schedule. This makes no sense.

Troyal1
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:01 pm

@TheDreamMaster wrote:

OMG. I wasn't interested to start with but I didn't see that coming.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:00 pm

Variety has insight into Lord/Miller's departure.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
dance2nite
Ankylosaurus
Ankylosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:18 am

This film sounded like a mistake from the start, it really was not needed at all, not surprised...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:10 pm

I'm starting to think that Disney was being way too ambitious with their Star Wars franchise, and don't really know what they have (to quote Malcolm). The Force Awakens was a huge hit, and Rogue One was well received and a financial hit despite the many issues behind the scenes that led to huge re-shoots. And now this??? I would have preferred Lord and Miller did another project (hint a DC one) back in 2015, but I was more than open to what they could bring to a Star Wars movie. But this is such a WTF moment, with only three weeks left of filming after months of working on the damn thing, and being FIRED no less. If "creative differences" were the real reason why this split, this will surely mean that the film is going to be reshot with a new director and the directing duo won't get any credit for it. It's a bloody shambles.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:39 pm

@Sickle_Claw wrote:
@TheDreamMaster wrote:

They had THREE WEEKS left of filming but somehow plan to keep on their filming schedule. This makes no sense.

I hear Ron Howard is already being considered to take the helm.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:59 pm

Kyle Newman is offering to direct the movie for free.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:25 pm

It's official. Ron Howard is the new director for the Han Solo movie.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Troyal1
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:56 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:

That was really fast.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:15 pm

@Troyal1 wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:

That was really fast.

I know that they were desperate, but I can't help but wonder if they rushed it a bit. Ron Howard is a good director, but him and Star Wars is an odd mix.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:24 pm

I'm curious to Ron Howard on this. He hasn't made this type of film in a long time. I'm just worried about how disjointed this could end up. They say he is supposed to go through and see what footage still works, so I can only imagine they'll save a bit but also end up adding more when it's time for the reshoots.

One thing I know disappoints me is this'll be another Rogue One situation on home video, aka no deleted scenes and few extras because they aren't going to want to advertise the controversy behind the film or show how drastic the original cut was, especially if they don't end up acknowledging Lord/Miller as directors.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
evolution_rex
Pachycephalosaurus
Pachycephalosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:29 pm

I can believe that the Lord and Miller combo could have gotten carried away, but I honestly believe that Lucas Film needs to let their directors have some creative room. Otherwise these movies are gonna start feeling like their all the same. Tonal and visual variety is incredibly important.

I'm hoping the Lord and Miller aura will be seen in the final product. Ron Howard is not the most distinct director out there, so I don't think his own directing style is going to create a disjointed mess.

I'm not a fan of him in general though, I like Appollo 13 and Cocoon and that's about it. His Grinch film is one of my least favorite movies ever.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://letterboxd.com/evolution_rex/
Oshronosaurus
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:27 pm

@evolution_rex wrote:
I'm not a fan of him in general though, I like Appollo 13 and Cocoon and that's about it. His Grinch film is one of my least favorite movies ever.
to be fair, Grinch showed that he's a good person as far as i'm concerned: that makeup/costume that Carrey wore for it was apparently very uncomfortable, and Howard made a point of wearing the same getup while he was directing as a sign of solidarity with Carrey Smile that's almost at "Bruce Timm and Paul Dini gave the Batsuit back to Adam West" levels of heartwarming
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:57 am

Here's the Midnight's Edge video about the whole Han Solo movie mess.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Yesterday at 4:23 pm

It looks like the Star Wars movie franchise is in larger trouble then we thought.

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/news/a55892/young-han-solo-star-wars-9-problems/?src=socialflowTW

Lucasfilm isn't happy with Alden Ehrenreich's performance as Han Solo.

Max Landis says that Lucasfilm didn't have a real plan after The Force Awakens.

If all this is true, then I guess that Fox is now my new choice as to which studio I want to get the JP franchise rights after JP6/JW3. WB would be my other choice, but that only if the deal with AT&T is done, since it would cure WB's debt.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Troyal1
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Yesterday at 5:08 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
It looks like the Star Wars movie franchise is in larger trouble then we thought.

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/news/a55892/young-han-solo-star-wars-9-problems/?src=socialflowTW

If all this is true, then I guess that Fox is now my new choice as to which studio I want to get the JP franchise rights after JP6/JW3. WB would be my other choice, but that only if the deal with AT&T is done, since it would cure WB's debt.

Christ. This is what happens when you are so desperate for a huge universe (in this case building on an existing one) that you just run for it. What would it hurt Disney to sit back and plan stuff? Star Wars is going to sell. Edit: I suppose I just answered my own question, it's going to sell lol. 

That's even more mind boggling when you see how good they have done with Marvel. 

I like TFA okay but this is why I don't like Disney Star Wars, and certainly don't want them near JP.    Don't get me wrong though. I will give the last Jedi a chance and see it day 1. I'm not an extremist hater lol. 

Remind me why you would think Fox would be good for JP? Simply curious.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Yesterday at 5:19 pm

@Troyal1 wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:

Christ. This is what happens when you are so desperate for a huge universe (in this case building on an existing one) that you just run for it. What would it hurt Disney to sit back and plan stuff? Star Wars is going to sell. Edit: I suppose I just answered my own question, it's going to sell lol. 

That's even more mind boggling when you see how good they have done with Marvel. 

I like TFA okay but this is why I don't like Disney Star Wars, and certainly don't want them near JP.    Don't get me wrong though. I will give the last Jedi a chance and see it day 1. I'm not an extremist hater lol. 

Remind me why you would think Fox would be good for JP? Simply curious.

Mainly because of how they are a profitable company and when they are hands-off/mostly hands off, great movies can be made. Logan, Deadpool, etc. Not only that, but ever since Tom Rothman left, Fox has been far more director friendly.

At this point, it's kind of more anti-Universal via them not really caring about the JP franchise and making it bigger and and better. I still contend that TLW was the last JP movie that they really cared about. We're still waiting for the IDW JW comic book. I don't think we're ever getting it. We should be getting an animated TV show that ties the OT with this new one like SW: Rebels does. It just feels to me that after TLW, Universal never had a proper idea what to do with the franchise. JP3 was made for the sake of a JP Trilogy and nothing else and JW, which I still like a lot, was mainly made just to get the albatross of not making it off their back.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Yesterday at 5:45 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:

The guy can't act worth a turd, and looks nothing like Harrison Ford. Why they even picked him is beyond me. A movie I don't really care if I see in the first place is quickly circling the drain. A shame, because I like the concept.
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Yesterday at 6:09 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:

Jesus Christ, and to think that a year ago we were all absolutely certain that Disney knew what they wanted and what to do with the Star Wars universe, but this is just insane! It's like the bizarro Disney that people associated them with during the mid to late 2000s, after the damage Michael Eisner's latter tenure had been done.

This is what happens when you don't have a story planned out. Even George Lucas knew where he wanted to take both of his trilogies from star to finish. At least The Hobbit was one single solitary story, pretty much all laid out for the filmmakers to follow (thanks to the book), and they didn't try to makeup the whole plot as they went along.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Yesterday at 8:59 pm

@BarrytheOnyx wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:

Jesus Christ, and to think that a year ago we were all absolutely certain that Disney knew what they wanted and what to do with the Star Wars universe, but this is just insane! It's like the bizarro Disney that people associated them with during the mid to late 2000s, after the damage Michael Eisner's latter tenure had been done.

This is what happens when you don't have a story planned out. Even George Lucas knew where he wanted to take both of his trilogies from star to finish. At least The Hobbit was one single solitary story, pretty much all laid out for the filmmakers to follow (thanks to the book), and they didn't try to makeup the whole plot as they went along.

It really is sad that George Lucas, for all of his faults from the prequels on, at least had a plan and idea of what they are and what to do. And to think, this also also the exact same company that owns the MCU! Maybe Kathrine Kennedy needs to go from this and the Jurassic Park franchise as well.

I never thought I'd see the day when DC's/WB's is actually in better shape then Disney's Star Wars franchise. But, that day is finally here. And it's not like in the 2000's where Fox could throw all the blame, or at least 90% of it, on Lucas.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Oshronosaurus
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Today at 1:18 am

i think part of the reason the Marvel movies are doing so well while now the future of Star Wars is up in the air is because Disney went ahead with Star Wars on their own rather than just acquiring a huge project that was already in the works and had been planned out years in advance (remember, part of why Marvel is so successful with their cinematic universe while other studios aren't is because they took their time starting it off while others are rushing into it to compete and it's hurting them badly because of that)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   Today at 4:44 am

The more I think about it, I am glad that Kathleen Kennedy is not actually actively involved in the production of the Jurassic franchise. Yes, she received a "special thanks" credit (along with David Koepp) at the end of JW, but that was more of a formality, passing on the torch as it were.

He might have produced some bad movies in the past (I happen to quite like Congo even though objectively its not a good film), but at least Frank Marshall seems like a level headed guy, and not floundering under an increasingly drama filled franchise.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   

Back to top Go down

The Star Wars thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 9 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9