Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

Ask a paleo question

Go down 
+15
JD-man
Nathanoraptor
DorianGray
Océane
Spinosaur4.4
Raptor Blue
Gojira2014
BarrytheOnyx
Tacticool Rex
Rhedosaurus
Oshronosaurus
Aegyptiacus3
SpinoInWonderland
Oliphaunt
Paleoman
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Paleoman
Hatchling
Hatchling
Paleoman

Ask a paleo question Empty
PostSubject: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2016 5:35 pm

You have questions, someone has answers. Ask away and we can all learn together!
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2016 5:14 pm

I'll do better and ask 2 questions.

1. Why hasn't Saurophaganax been properly described as an Allosaurus species yet? I mean considering how common Allosaurus remains are one would think this would have occurred some time ago.

2. Since the Brachiosaurus inherited the 90ft length from the few brachiosaur bones of Ultrasauros, does this mean that the American species of Torvosaurus also inherits the 35-36 ft length from Edmarka since it's considered remains of Torvosaurus?

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
Oliphaunt
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Oliphaunt

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2016 5:56 pm

Rhedo wrote:
1. Why hasn't Saurophaganax been properly described as an Allosaurus species yet? I mean considering how common Allosaurus remains are one would think this would have occurred some time ago.

2. Since the Brachiosaurus inherited the 90ft length from the few brachiosaur bones of Ultrasauros, does this mean that the American species of Torvosaurus also inherits the 35-36 ft length from Edmarka since it's considered remains of Torvosaurus?

1. Saurophaganax has been declared a separate genus from Allosaurus in the latest study assessing allosauroids.

2. Yes, T.tanneri could grow to lengths of 36-38ft, as the Edmarka specimens were reassigned to it.

-Cope (M) Brontosaurus excelsus
-Hook (F): Suchomimus tenerensis
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2016 6:04 pm

Oliphaunt wrote:
Rhedo wrote:

1. Saurophaganax has been declared a separate genus from Allosaurus in the latest study assessing allosauroids.

2. Yes, T.tanneri could grow to lengths of 36-38ft, as the Edmarka specimens were reassigned to it.

Did they use the recent New Mexico specimen for that? Also, T. tanneri would be 5-6 tons correct?
Back to top Go down
Oliphaunt
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Oliphaunt

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2016 10:40 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Oliphaunt wrote:
Rhedo wrote:

Did they use the recent New Mexico specimen for that? Also, T. tanneri would be 5-6 tons correct?

I don't know, but there's three known specimens of Saurophaganax (IIRC) that were used. And yes, T.tanneri was ~5.8 tons.

Back to top Go down
SpinoInWonderland
Hatchling
Hatchling
SpinoInWonderland

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2016 9:13 am

Any information about non-beaked coelurosaur heads?

Models | Skins | Mesozoic Revolution
Back to top Go down
http://spinoinwonderland.deviantart.com/
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question Icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2016 10:09 am

I remember reading-It was most likely Gregory S. Paul's book on carnivorous dinosaurs-that Yangchuanosaurus was better adapted for hunting then Allosaurus. Is that true? And does the size of 35-36 ft still hold up today?

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

Back to top Go down
Oliphaunt
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Oliphaunt

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question Icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2016 10:41 am

Rhedosaurus wrote:
I remember reading-It was most likely Gregory S. Paul's book on carnivorous dinosaurs-that Yangchuanosaurus was better adapted for hunting then Allosaurus. Is that true? And does the size of 35-36 ft still hold up today?

No, neither is ''more adapted for hunting'' than the other. Although Yang was larger. And yes, it was about 34-35 ft in total length.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question Icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2016 10:55 am

Oliphaunt wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

No, neither is ''more adapted for hunting'' than the other. Although Yang was larger. And yes, it was about 34-35 ft in total length.

How much did it weigh? 3-4 tons or so?
Back to top Go down
Oliphaunt
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Oliphaunt

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question Icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2016 11:49 am

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Oliphaunt wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

How much did it weigh? 3-4 tons or so?

~4.5 t, IIRC.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question Icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2016 11:54 am

How is Elaphrosaurus considered a member of the Ceratosaur family?

Back to top Go down
Aegyptiacus3
Hatchling
Hatchling
Aegyptiacus3

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2016 6:06 am

Rhedosaurus wrote:
How is Elaphrosaurus considered a member of the Ceratosaur family?

Rauhut et al. 2016 recently classified it within the Noasauridae (which is a branch under Abelisauroidea) in Ceratosauria. So realistically speaking it may actually be more closely linked to Abelisaurids, but still hence under the group Ceratosauria.

Oshronosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Oshronosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2016 1:49 pm

i saved the entire second Ask A Paleo-Question thread and alot of the first from JPL, if anyone wants me to repost the old stuff--i figure it'd be a useful resource for anyone and everyone

Join the Brethren!
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question Icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2016 1:21 pm

Are Gasosaurus and Kaijiangosaurus still valid species despite their limited remains? If so, is the second dinosaur considered a full grown version of the first?

Back to top Go down
Oliphaunt
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Oliphaunt

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question Icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2016 2:19 pm

Both are currently considered valid as independant species, from what I've seen.

Back to top Go down
Oshronosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Oshronosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question Icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2016 10:56 pm

has a complete skull of Becklespinax ever been found?

Join the Brethren!
Back to top Go down
Oliphaunt
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Oliphaunt

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question Icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2016 11:28 pm

I don't think we have skull material of Becklespinax at all, actually.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2016 7:04 pm

Do the 6 species of Maimenchisaurus represent stages of growth?

Back to top Go down
Oliphaunt
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Oliphaunt

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2016 4:35 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Do the 6 species of Maimenchisaurus represent stages of growth?

Unlikely given most of them lived in different formations.

Back to top Go down
Tacticool Rex
Embryo
Embryo
Tacticool Rex

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2016 9:41 pm

I have two questions. First, is the explanation that Nanotyrannus is actually a juvenile Tyrannosaurus rather than its own genus the more accepted conclusion? I know there's the 'Dueling Dinosaurs' specimen, but I believe it hasn't actually been properly studied.

Second, in Jurassic Fight Club, there's the rather unbelievable claim that Allosaurus hunted Ceratosaurus into extinction, with the main explanation being, "As you go farther up [as in start to get into younger rock] in the Geologic Time Scale you start seeing more Allosaurus specimens and fewer Ceratosaurus specimens." Is there any weight to this statement? I always found it completely absurd.
Back to top Go down
Oliphaunt
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Oliphaunt

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2016 10:31 pm

Tacticool Rex wrote:
I have two questions. First, is the explanation that Nanotyrannus is actually a juvenile Tyrannosaurus rather than its own genus the more accepted conclusion? I know there's the 'Dueling Dinosaurs' specimen, but I believe it hasn't actually been properly studied.

Second, in Jurassic Fight Club, there's the rather unbelievable claim that Allosaurus hunted Ceratosaurus into extinction, with the main explanation being, "As you go farther up [as in start to get into younger rock] in the Geologic Time Scale you start seeing more Allosaurus specimens and fewer Ceratosaurus specimens." Is there any weight to this statement? I always found it completely absurd.

@1; The dominant view's that Nanotyrannus is a juvenile Tyrannosaurus, however, you'll still find people who conclude otherwise based on supposed features of the ''Dueling Dinosaurs'' specimen, which is kind of irrelevant until it can be properly analyzed.

@2; Oddly enough, Wikipedia seems to hold that Ceratosaurus survived into younger layers than Allosaurus did. Either way, if there was really this gradual variation between the % of both species, it's most likely that one outcompeted the other for prey and resources, not actively predated it.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2016 5:25 pm

Oliphaunt wrote:

@1; The dominant view's that Nanotyrannus is a juvenile Tyrannosaurus, however, you'll still find people who conclude otherwise based on supposed features of the ''Dueling Dinosaurs'' specimen, which is kind of irrelevant until it can be properly analyzed.

@2; Oddly enough, Wikipedia seems to hold that Ceratosaurus survived into younger layers than Allosaurus did. Either way, if there was really this gradual variation between the % of both species, it's most likely that one outcompeted the other for prey and resources, not actively predated it.

There are other reasons why some people believe that Nanotyrannus is it's own dinosaur. Apparently, the holotype skull shows adult features and that there are so many teeth described as that of Nanotyrannus that many people consider it too much for it to be an adult.

Has there been any scientific research done to prove that the head and neck of Nemegtosaurus is actually that of Opisthocoelicaudia?
Back to top Go down
Oliphaunt
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Oliphaunt

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2016 5:39 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Oliphaunt wrote:

There are other reasons why some people believe that Nanotyrannus is it's own dinosaur. Apparently, the holotype skull shows adult features and that there are so many teeth described as that of Nanotyrannus that many people consider it too much for it to be an adult.

Has there been any scientific research done to prove that the head and neck of Nemegtosaurus is actually that of Opisthocoelicaudia?

The skull showing ''adult features'' is most likely bull. Even Nanotyrannus supporters agree that the known specimens aren't fully grown, although they diverge on how much it had yet to grow. There being 'too many teeth' is simply another line of evidence for it being a juvenile, as juvenile dinosaurs were much more common than adult ones.

And not that I know of.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2016 5:50 pm

Is Tianzhenosaurus still considered it's own ankylosaur or is it a far more complete specimen of Shanxia?

Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2016 6:46 pm

When was it decided that 66 Million Years Ago was the established date for the extinction of the dinosaurs as opposed to 65 Million Years Ago? Was there a paper or new release of evidence that dated the KT Boundary and the extinction event more precisely than before?

Ask a paleo question Dinosa12
Back to top Go down
Oshronosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Oshronosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2016 9:18 pm

sounds to me like they just decided to round it up--as i understand it the traditional date had actually been 65.5 million years ago

btw, does anyone know what the correct form of drypto in other dinosaur names would be if it were used in place of tyrannus? (i'm debating whether an altered name of Yutyrannus, for example, would be Yudryptos or Yudryptus)

(second edit) and another: does anyone know the exact date that Eoraptor's description was published? i know it was in 1993 but need something more specific than that

Join the Brethren!
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question Icon_minitimeSat Jun 25, 2016 2:14 pm

Is the skeleton of Gondanatitan a juvenile?

Back to top Go down
Oliphaunt
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Oliphaunt

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2016 6:14 am

If Prehistoric Wildlife's info is straight (it almost never is...) then Gondwanatitan was an 8-meter-long animal, so the 7m holotype was probably a subadult.

Back to top Go down
Gojira2014
Hatchling
Hatchling
Gojira2014

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2016 10:55 am

Do you think Spinosaurus walked on 4 legs, 2 legs, or both? I'd say both, like this.Ask a paleo question Bipedal_spinosaurus_by_thedinorocker-d8esjfv

Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2016 5:36 pm

Gojira2014 wrote:
Do you think Spinosaurus walked on 4 legs, 2 legs, or both? I'd say both, like this.Ask a paleo question Bipedal_spinosaurus_by_thedinorocker-d8esjfv

It most likely did both, but for most of the time it was a quadrupedal animal. Any time spent on it's two main legs was for a short time period.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ask a paleo question
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next