Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

The Retrosaur Thread

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Paleoman
Hatchling
Hatchling
Paleoman

The Retrosaur Thread Empty
PostSubject: The Retrosaur Thread   The Retrosaur Thread Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2016 5:45 pm

We know them, we love them, the retrosaurs. Our understanding of dinosaurs hasn't always been the best, and that has produced some fantastic reconstructions. Post your favorites!
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Retrosaur Thread   The Retrosaur Thread Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2016 6:51 am

Here's a classic painting of Triceratops by Charles R. Knight.

The Retrosaur Thread Knight10

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
K_Ozz92
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
K_Ozz92

PostSubject: Re: The Retrosaur Thread   The Retrosaur Thread Icon_minitimeThu Jul 27, 2017 5:57 pm

I've always loved this Brachiosaurus painting.

The Retrosaur Thread 10252-_Zdenek-_Burian_1_original

"Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth."- Dr. Wu.
The Retrosaur Thread Tumblr_o344ke_PXt_X1rp0vkjo1_500
Back to top Go down
CT-1138
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: The Retrosaur Thread   The Retrosaur Thread Icon_minitimeThu Jul 27, 2017 6:23 pm

I absolutely ADORE retro dinosaur art, especially the environments that the animals used to be placed in.
The Retrosaur Thread 706cd2660dd102b827b585d0fba076b0--drawing-reference-mammals

The Retrosaur Thread Paul-Tendaguru-painting-1000x704

The Retrosaur Thread 263B894A531340C013ACA2

The Retrosaur Thread Doubletwister-jurassic-1

The Retrosaur Thread 3727_0005_005

The Retrosaur Thread C75931af0920de6ba1499718646bfc6b--dinosaur-art-jurassic

The Retrosaur Thread Stygimoloch

The Retrosaur Thread Compsognathus

The Retrosaur Thread Tumblr_mkysk2NDTS1rmeji6o1_500

The Retrosaur Thread ?format=750w

The Retrosaur Thread Two-great-horned-dinosaurs-triceratops-beside-a-small-lake

The Retrosaur Thread Tumblr_obhsnvwxZ21ubtghao1_500

The Retrosaur Thread KRj734A

The Retrosaur Thread AaOfxbi

The Retrosaur Thread JF3SW4R

The Retrosaur Thread NfCDK3x

The Retrosaur Thread Lky9BHQ

The Retrosaur Thread Mk2gdqb

http://abekowalski.deviantart.com/
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Retrosaur Thread   The Retrosaur Thread Icon_minitimeThu Jul 27, 2017 7:03 pm

Here's some Gregory S. Paul.

A T. rex pack attacking a Triceratops herd.

The Retrosaur Thread Tyrannosaurus

2 Albertosaurs against 4 Anchiceratops.

The Retrosaur Thread 8758cb7fbd5b43592529568e520ce543--dinosaur-art-prehistoric-animals

And some sort of tyrannosaur against a Torosaurus.

The Retrosaur Thread Toro

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

Back to top Go down
K_Ozz92
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
K_Ozz92

PostSubject: Re: The Retrosaur Thread   The Retrosaur Thread Icon_minitimeFri Jul 28, 2017 4:16 pm

Spoiler:

"Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth."- Dr. Wu.
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The Retrosaur Thread   The Retrosaur Thread Icon_minitimeSat Jul 29, 2017 6:33 pm

Taking after the artistic representations of dinosaurs from Charles R. Knight, Ray Harryhausen has created an impressive body of retro-saur artwork that not only worked for his field of animation but also had a believable dynamism to it.

Listed below are some drawings of his for One Million Years BC, The Valley of Gwangi, an unmade Sinbad film, and another project that got derailed which unfortunately I can't remember its name.

Spoiler:

The Retrosaur Thread Dinosa12
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Retrosaur Thread   The Retrosaur Thread Icon_minitimeSat Jul 29, 2017 6:45 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Taking after the artistic representations of dinosaurs from Charles R. Knight, Ray Harryhausen has created an impressive body of retro-saur artwork that not only worked for his field of animation but also had a believable dynamism to it.

Listed below are some drawings of his for One Million Years BC, The Valley of Gwangi, an unmade Sinbad film, and another project that got derailed which unfortunately I can't remember its name.

Spoiler:

The one with the Trike impaling that small meat eater is from Creation, the unmade Willis O'Brien movie. Or that's what I've read in a book. The final picture I have never seen before, but the rest I have. Mostly from the book, The Art Of Ray Harryhausen.

Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The Retrosaur Thread   The Retrosaur Thread Icon_minitimeSat Jul 29, 2017 7:04 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:

The one with the Trike impaling that small meat eater is from Creation, the unmade Willis O'Brien movie. Or that's what I've read in a book. The final picture I have never seen before, but the rest I have. Mostly from the book, The Art Of Ray Harryhausen.

I actually own that book too!

While, I could be wrong, I don't think there is a sequence mentioned in Creation (which I do know about thanks to the King Kong 1933 blu ray) that depicts a Triceratops killing Ceratosaurus. Unfortunately, I don't have the book with me right now so I can't confirm the final picture's origin.

The Retrosaur Thread Dinosa12
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Retrosaur Thread   The Retrosaur Thread Icon_minitimeSat Jul 29, 2017 7:15 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

I actually own that book too!

While, I could be wrong, I don't think there is a sequence mentioned in Creation (which I do know about thanks to the King Kong 1933 blu ray) that depicts a Triceratops killing Ceratosaurus. Unfortunately, I don't have the book with me right now so I can't confirm the final picture's origin.

The Trike killing the Ceratosaurus was from One Million B.C. Creation was supposed to have a mother T. rex killing a Stegosaurus and having it's kids taking the first bites.

Back to top Go down
K_Ozz92
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
K_Ozz92

PostSubject: Re: The Retrosaur Thread   The Retrosaur Thread Icon_minitimeTue Aug 01, 2017 11:15 am

Zdenek Burian Art.
The Retrosaur Thread 5478377402_cac0deaf31_b
The Retrosaur Thread Paintings-dinosaurs-triceratops-_Zdenek-_Burian-_5

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Retrosaur Thread   The Retrosaur Thread Icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2018 12:17 pm

Here's an old picture of Triceratops. This is from Reverend H. Hutchinson's Extinct Monsters, 1893. Other then the tail and the short frill, this is still fairly accurate.

The Retrosaur Thread 33676917_1762263217168479_7253514689890484224_n

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Retrosaur Thread   The Retrosaur Thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Retrosaur Thread
Page 1 of 1