Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

The General JP Toy Discussion

Go down 
+7
BarrytheOnyx
Levine
TheRexMan22
Océane
Minmi
Raptor Dash
TheDreamMaster
11 posters
AuthorMessage
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

The General JP Toy Discussion Empty
PostSubject: The General JP Toy Discussion   The General JP Toy Discussion Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2016 6:03 pm

Want to discuss Kenner, Hasbro, or everything in between? Wish those JP: Chaos Effect dinos had made it to stores back in the late 90's? Discuss it here.

"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The General JP Toy Discussion   The General JP Toy Discussion Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2016 6:08 pm

How good is the Kenner 1993 JP Triceratops toy? I've read that it's a good high quality toy, yet considering how popular both the toy is and how popular Triceratops always was and still is, I'm quite surprised how affordable it is via Ebay.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
Raptor Dash
Embryo
Embryo
Raptor Dash

PostSubject: Re: The General JP Toy Discussion   The General JP Toy Discussion Icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2016 5:14 pm

So I found this Dimetrodon at a flea market, and it's in beautiful condition except for this:

The General JP Toy Discussion Downlo10

I don't know exactly what the stuff is-- it looks like dirt and I really hope it isn't mold-- and I'd like to be able to clean it off without damaging the paint. Anyone have any ideas?

Back to top Go down
http://raptordash.wordpress.com
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The General JP Toy Discussion   The General JP Toy Discussion Icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2016 6:03 pm

Raptor Dash wrote:
So I found this Dimetrodon at a flea market, and it's in beautiful condition except for this:

The General JP Toy Discussion Downlo10

I don't know exactly what the stuff is-- it looks like dirt and I really hope it isn't mold-- and I'd like to be able to clean it off without damaging the paint. Anyone have any ideas?

I remember D4E said that he used baby wipes to clean his toys back on JPL. Try that.

Last edited by Rhedosaurus on Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:10 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Raptor Dash
Embryo
Embryo
Raptor Dash

PostSubject: Re: The General JP Toy Discussion   The General JP Toy Discussion Icon_minitimeMon Dec 05, 2016 6:21 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:

I remember D4E said that he used baby wipes to clean his toys back on JPL. Try that.

I'll try that, thanks! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://raptordash.wordpress.com
Minmi
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
Minmi

PostSubject: Re: The General JP Toy Discussion   The General JP Toy Discussion Icon_minitimeMon Mar 13, 2017 11:21 pm

I've got the JP3 Alpha Pteranodon and I'd love to have the JP3 Deluxe Tapejara. Does anyone know where I can get one for a reasonable price and still in its box? I've looked on eBay, but the prices are quite high and none of them come with their original boxes. I was also wondering if they ever made a Compsognathus figure.

Océane

PostSubject: Re: The General JP Toy Discussion   The General JP Toy Discussion Icon_minitimeMon Mar 13, 2017 11:50 pm

Minmi wrote:
I've got the JP3 Alpha Pteranodon and I'd love to have the JP3 Deluxe Tapejara. Does anyone know where I can get one for a reasonable price and still in its box? I've looked on eBay, but the prices are quite high and none of them come with their original boxes. I was also wondering if they ever made a Compsognathus figure.
Yes, it comes with the Dieter Stark figure. Shouldn't be too expensive. Here's one on Ebay

Minmi
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
Minmi

PostSubject: Re: The General JP Toy Discussion   The General JP Toy Discussion Icon_minitimeTue Mar 14, 2017 2:35 am

I'm looking for figures that are new, still in the box and never been used.

Océane

PostSubject: Re: The General JP Toy Discussion   The General JP Toy Discussion Icon_minitimeTue Mar 14, 2017 2:44 am

Minmi wrote:
I'm looking for figures that are new, still in the box and never been used.
I'll keep an eye out. here's one and here's another

Minmi
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
Minmi

PostSubject: Re: The General JP Toy Discussion   The General JP Toy Discussion Icon_minitimeTue Mar 14, 2017 4:31 am

Thanks.

Jurassic Mainframe News Team
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: The General JP Toy Discussion   The General JP Toy Discussion Icon_minitimeTue May 02, 2017 8:50 pm

I have something special coming to me!
Spoiler:

http://abekowalski.deviantart.com/
Océane
Océane

PostSubject: Re: The General JP Toy Discussion   The General JP Toy Discussion Icon_minitimeThu May 25, 2017 4:36 pm

So, a commercial about the Bull Rex has been rediscovered!

Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The General JP Toy Discussion   The General JP Toy Discussion Icon_minitimeSat Sep 23, 2017 7:43 pm

Océane wrote:
So, a commercial about the Bull Rex has been rediscovered!

I remember seeing this and the Thrasher T. rex commercial very well. Ah yes. The good ol' days. And now I have the whole TLW T. rex family. Very Happy

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

Back to top Go down
Océane
Océane

PostSubject: Re: The General JP Toy Discussion   The General JP Toy Discussion Icon_minitimeSat Sep 23, 2017 10:58 pm

^funny, I was holding my Bull Rex when I read this

TheRexMan22
Veteran
Veteran
TheRexMan22

PostSubject: Re: The General JP Toy Discussion   The General JP Toy Discussion Icon_minitimeMon Sep 25, 2017 11:56 pm

I used to binge-watch those toy trailers every morning...

[color=#33ccff]
Back to top Go down
Levine
Veteran
Veteran
Levine

PostSubject: Re: The General JP Toy Discussion   The General JP Toy Discussion Icon_minitimeTue Sep 26, 2017 9:01 am

Raptor Dash wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

I'll try that, thanks! Very Happy

And he was never heard from again.
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The General JP Toy Discussion   The General JP Toy Discussion Icon_minitimeTue Sep 26, 2017 12:55 pm

I wish I had enough money to start a JP toys collection...

The General JP Toy Discussion Dinosa12
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The General JP Toy Discussion   The General JP Toy Discussion Icon_minitimeTue Sep 26, 2017 1:45 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
I wish I had enough money to start a JP toys collection...

Are flea markets and yard/garage sales a thing in Britain/U.K? Because I got my Bull T. rex at my local flea market 2 years ago for $10. It has some tiny paint dots on its legs and tail and black crayon markings on its belly, but other then that, it's in great shape with no physical damage. You just have to look enough. And even if you don't find it, you'll still see something you'll like. Also, try to find them at charity stores. I found quite a bit of old Carnegie dinoasur toys at my local Salvation Army a few months back.

You can get some Young T. rex, JP/TLW Stegosaurus, and JP Triceratops toys on Ebay for $20-$33 dollars. And I'm adding in the shipping costs. Beware most of them lack the wound covers so you might have to make your own.

Back to top Go down
GeekyAustin
Embryo
Embryo
GeekyAustin

PostSubject: Re: The General JP Toy Discussion   The General JP Toy Discussion Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2018 12:43 am

This is technically not a toy but I find this very cute:

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/77940
The General JP Toy Discussion D6467e69-e0b8-46fb-b691-907feeb62ec7

The General JP Toy Discussion 34625181_1838427822876154_6752007074021900288_n
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4HAZwFtUEJpzdZq3ag
CT-1138
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: The General JP Toy Discussion   The General JP Toy Discussion Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2018 1:54 am

I need it! I need it! I need it!!! I thought I missed out when I couldn't get the SDCC pre-order! Soooo happy I didn't! Very Happy

TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The General JP Toy Discussion   The General JP Toy Discussion Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2018 11:46 pm

So Im really loving Mattel's line, but man is it a shitshow at times. There's been a ton of packaging errors, some hit or miss paint, some mismatched limbs or backwards horns. But honestly, I can forgive it all if they just fix their distribution issues. Mattel is way more responsive to us fans, and yet we still have no idea if the Spinosaurus is coming to Target stores, but show sup very seldom online and yet is all over the UK. The Destructosaurs are on Amazon and have said to be sold there...but there no confirmation and all dates from pre-orders are tentative. Maisie is a hard to find Target exclusive....which is suddenly showing up at Wal-marts, apparently by accident?

"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: The General JP Toy Discussion   The General JP Toy Discussion Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2018 9:03 pm

So I need to think of a way to justify spending $250 on a toy, because HOLY CRAP!!!!

The General JP Toy Discussion Jpbann10
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The General JP Toy Discussion   The General JP Toy Discussion Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2018 12:20 pm

JW:FK toys are outselleing Star Wars toys.

I take away two things from this.

1. The toys are FAR better then anybody thought possible. While I didn't like the actual movie, I am happy that the toys are of excellent quality and are selling very well. I got a few myself and I do plan to buy a few more...if I can find the spare space.

2. Star Wars fans are FAR more pissed off then I ever thought.

Back to top Go down
CT-1138
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: The General JP Toy Discussion   The General JP Toy Discussion Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2018 4:19 pm

I'd say the main reasons are that the FK toys are quality, with generally good distributions, and that Mattel is making the toys people want.

Meanwhile, Hasbro just doesn't give a shit about their licenses including SW and nobody is buying them (not even the kids) because lack of vehicles, crappy quality, and poor distribution of figures people want with good distribution of figures nobody wants. And let's not even get into the blaster and lightsaber toys.

Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: The General JP Toy Discussion   The General JP Toy Discussion Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2018 7:29 pm

Indeed, Mattel has done a really good job with this line. It's hard to pass by the Thrash N' Throw Rex or the Action Attack Carnotaurus and not want to buy it.

With that being said, I do wonder about the durability of some of these figures. The Roarivores seem pretty firm and solidly built, but figures like the Thrash N' Throw and a couple of the Action Attack figures seem like they could break pretty easily. I mean, it's fine for us as collectors, seeing as we're not going to be beating the shit out of these figures, but for a child that's going to be playing with these things every day? I worry about some of the mechanisms giving way, or pieces flying off. If a kid were to drop his Thrash N' Throw on a hard floor I could see it not surviving the fall in great shape.

I still love it to death though. The range of motion on that Rex and the sculpt are absolutely phenomenal.

That isn't to say that, durability-wise they're still not a lot better than the Hasbro garbage we got three years ago, as those things were falling apart as soon as they got taken out of the box, but I still wonder how some of these figures are going to hold up over time. The beautiful thing about the Kenner figures, even the big Rex figures, is you could beat the shit out of them repeatedly and they'd still be fine for the most part.

With that being said, I think the sculpts were getting with Kenner are the best we've ever gotten....even better than Kenner. These figures likeness to their film counterparts is absolutely stunning, and alone that makes these figures worth the price of purchase, especially to a collector.

For the sake of comparison...

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Also, the fact that they've been using a lot of ball joints with this line, creating more range of motion in some of the figures...even the human ones....is really great. It's such a simple thing that makes these figures so much more dynamic.

I'm generally pretty OK with the paint jobs on these figures, although I don't think they're quite up to Kenner level, and there have been a few issues with the painting of these figures as well...in particular with the eyes. Both my Action Attack Stego and my Pack Attack Blue have the same issue, where the paint of the eyes isn't flush with the sculpt. Luckily I contacted Mattel about the issues as they actually refunded the entire cost of both figures, which was really above and beyond what I expected.

Issues aside, I'm overall really happy with this toyline. Mattel got me into dinosaur toys again, after Hasbro had turned me off of them, and that's a really cool thing.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The General JP Toy Discussion   The General JP Toy Discussion Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2018 6:28 pm

Tyrant Lizard wrote:
Indeed, Mattel has done a really good job with this line. It's hard to pass by the Thrash N' Throw Rex or the Action Attack Carnotaurus and not want to buy it.

With that being said, I do wonder about the durability of some of these figures. The Roarivores seem pretty firm and solidly built, but figures like the Thrash N' Throw and a couple of the Action Attack figures seem like they could break pretty easily. I mean, it's fine for us as collectors, seeing as we're not going to be beating the shit out of these figures, but for a child that's going to be playing with these things every day? I worry about some of the mechanisms giving way, or pieces flying off. If a kid were to drop his Thrash N' Throw on a hard floor I could see it not surviving the fall in great shape.

I still love it to death though. The range of motion on that Rex and the sculpt are absolutely phenomenal.

That isn't to say that, durability-wise they're still not a lot better than the Hasbro garbage we got three years ago, as those things were falling apart as soon as they got taken out of the box, but I still wonder how some of these figures are going to hold up over time. The beautiful thing about the Kenner figures, even the big Rex figures, is you could beat the shit out of them repeatedly and they'd still be fine for the most part.

With that being said, I think the sculpts were getting with Kenner are the best we've ever gotten....even better than Kenner. These figures likeness to their film counterparts is absolutely stunning, and alone that makes these figures worth the price of purchase, especially to a collector.

For the sake of comparison...

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Also, the fact that they've been using a lot of ball joints with this line, creating more range of motion in some of the figures...even the human ones....is really great. It's such a simple thing that makes these figures so much more dynamic.

I'm generally pretty OK with the paint jobs on these figures, although I don't think they're quite up to Kenner level, and there have been a few issues with the painting of these figures as well...in particular with the eyes. Both my Action Attack Stego and my Pack Attack Blue have the same issue, where the paint of the eyes isn't flush with the sculpt. Luckily I contacted Mattel about the issues as they actually refunded the entire cost of both figures, which was really above and beyond what I expected.

Issues aside, I'm overall really happy with this toyline. Mattel got me into dinosaur toys again, after Hasbro had turned me off of them, and that's a really cool thing.

The Super Colossal T. rex is quite well made and looks like it can take quite a bit of pounding. But I do agree that the Kenner toys could, and still are very durable. The 1997 Bull T. rex alone can be thrown around and still work without much damage. I played with my old Thrasher T. rex quite a lot when I was a kid and despite having to super glue to jaw hinges a few times and one leg being much easier to move then the other (the internal rubber band broke), it's still in pretty good shape. I collect other dinosaur toys via Wild Safari (which includes their defunct Carnegie toy line), Papo, Terra/Battat, Schelich, and from some other companies and while they are well made, they are TOO well made to be played with. With Kenner and Mattel, their JP toys achieved a very nice balance between playibility and durability.

Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: The General JP Toy Discussion   The General JP Toy Discussion Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2018 6:45 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
The Super Colossal T. rex is quite well made and looks like it can take quite a bit of pounding. But I do agree that the Kenner toys could, and still are very durable. The 1997 Bull T. rex alone can be thrown around and still work without much damage. I played with my old Thrasher T. rex quite a lot when I was a kid and despite having to super glue to jaw hinges a few times and one leg being much easier to move then the other (the internal rubber band broke), it's still in pretty good shape. I collect other dinosaur toys via Wild Safari (which includes their defunct Carnegie toy line), Papo, Terra/Battat, Schelich, and from some other companies and while they are well made, they are TOO well made to be played with. With Kenner and Mattel, their JP toys achieved a very nice balance between playibility and durability.

It's funny, I praise the durability of the Kenner figures, yet one of my worst memories of childhood was the day the mechanism in the tail of my Thrasher T.rex broke Laughing I tried to get my dad to fix it, but it never did take properly. My Bull T.rex has stood up really well though. Aside from a little bit of warping in the legs and jaws, it's still in really good condition.

Although I still prefer the figures made of rubber, the hard plastic shouldn't warp like some of the Bull Rexes and Red Rexes seem to.

As far as the Colossal Rex goes, I almost find it a bit big and cumbersome to actually play with, but it is solidly built. I do wish it was a bit heavier in the body and in the legs, but at the same time I do realize that this is made for children, and something that big made completely solid would be a bitch for a young child to haul around (not to mention it would likely add significantly to the price).

What I would love to see from Mattel is a new Real Feel Rex, preferably with a different color scheme (not that I have an issue with the color scheme they're using on their Rexes, it would just be nice to have some variance).

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The General JP Toy Discussion   The General JP Toy Discussion Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2018 6:57 pm

Tyrant Lizard wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

It's funny, I praise the durability of the Kenner figures, yet one of my worst memories of childhood was the day the mechanism in the tail of my Thrasher T.rex broke Laughing I tried to get my dad to fix it, but it never did take properly. My Bull T.rex has stood up really well though. Aside from a little bit of warping in the legs and jaws, it's still in really good condition.

Although I still prefer the figures made of rubber, the hard plastic shouldn't warp like some of the Bull Rexes and Red Rexes seem to.

As far as the Colossal Rex goes, I almost find it a bit big and cumbersome to actually play with, but it is solidly built. I do wish it was a bit heavier in the body and in the legs, but at the same time I do realize that this is made for children, and something that big made completely solid would be a bitch for a young child to haul around (not to mention it would likely add significantly to the price).

What I would love to see from Mattel is a new Real Feel Rex, preferably with a different color scheme (not that I have an issue with the color scheme they're using on their Rexes, it would just be nice to have some variance).

My Bull has semi-warped legs as well, but that seems to be common. I can't help but wonder if it was a happy accident that it was overmade. Not that anybody is complaining.

Making a Real-Feel T. rex would be a welcome addition. I just hope that it's a new T. rex and not Rexy. And I say that not as a diss at Rexy, but as somebody who wants a new T. rex. Although, a Real-Feel Trike would be nice as well.

Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: The General JP Toy Discussion   The General JP Toy Discussion Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2018 7:00 pm

I'm totally game for a new Rex, because as I said before, some variance would be nice. With that being said, the molds they're using for the Rexes right now are damn near perfect....the best we've ever gotten. I would hope that they wouldn't tinker with those too terribly much.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The General JP Toy Discussion   The General JP Toy Discussion Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The General JP Toy Discussion
Page 1 of 1