Don't worry, Ian. I'm not making the same mistakes again! est 2016.

HomeMainframeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Do you want to see more hybrids?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:30 pm

Would you like to see any new hybrids? Maybe one or two, or for the film to go full on Chaos Effect?

I myself am down for a few. I do still want some real animals, but I think with Bayona, a horror director, he could pull off some terrifying images and get really creative with a couple hybrids.

"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CT-1138
Dinosaur Fact File Curator
Dinosaur Fact File Curator

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:25 pm

I personally wouldn't. I think it would be better as a one-off deal. I'd like to return more towards dinosaurs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://abekowalski.deviantart.com/
evolution_rex
Dimorphodon
Dimorphodon

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:44 pm

The implications of Jurassic World is that there will be more of them. I'd prefer them not get as ridiculous as the stegosaurus/Triceratops hybrid we saw on the computer screen in Jurassic Word's laboratory, but the pathway has already been built and it would be strange not to move forward in that direction. However, I hope the hybrid plot ends with JW3, and then we have the next trilogy be about something different.

I personally would like them to mainly stick to the I-Rex and have JW2 include a smaller, more raptor sized I-Rex. Give us a pack of them and make them as antagonists.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://letterboxd.com/evolution_rex/
Troodon_formosus
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:50 pm

I'm all for a pack of mini-iRex, with their role best described as "Evil Raptor Squad."

Each one with a distinct personality and ability, each as troubled as the original.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://exploresecondearth.boards.net/
Dr. Wu
Dimorphodon
Dimorphodon

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:02 am

I'm afraid of it being all hybrids but J.A. Bayona is a great director from what I've heard. So it really intends on the film is made to me. I'm fine for some and maybe 50% hybrids / 50% "real dinosaurs".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tyrant Lizard
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:01 pm

Not sold on more hybrids. If there are any more hybrids, I want them to be in a minimal role, and they absolutely CAN NOT overshadow the real dinosaurs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darth Spidey
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:17 pm

I don't actually want to "see" more hybrids, but I wouldn't mind it if they mentioned it that they are developing hybrids or genetically superior dinosaurs for testing purposes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClTD7BVp0C0AopETI1coujw
DoYouKnowTheMuffinMan?
Embryo
Embryo

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:24 pm

I'd love to see where the idea can go...one of my most favorite JP moments comes from the Novel in which the intro says by the end of the decade (the novel was written in 1990) - Biotech company's will take over the world. Taking part of any and all household and name brand styles. I'm still a bit bummed out that the real world was nipped fairly hard by 2000 with what biotech could do. But I would absolutely love to not see hybrids. But I'd love to see a subplot where we see the world just takes off. I mean by the time JW happened, the technology for their 2015 was several years ahead of where we actually were at 2015.

I'd love to see a JP world where we see a commercial where they advertise how Ingen or something brings the technology to every day world implications. How it can clone dogs, and how it can clone cats, and how the holograms are in every household.  Hybrid dogs and cats that do circus tricks, etc

I mean I don't want to see. I just want to hear, or have it teased...how once we cloned dinosaurs that it becomes a world where we are ever more connected through tech, and the implications are drastic. I'd love to see technology have a boom, yeah show Dinos. But I'd love to see this idea become apple..

where there's an Ingen Watch, or a Ingen HoloTV...and how that not just the people who come into contact with the dinosaurs are at harms way...but how it completely destroys society though complete connectivity. I want to see people abuse the Ingen tech for more purposes than just dinos, and how the world in numerous ways crumbles in an Chaos Theory sort of way because technology gets crazy...first dinosaurs than super advanced TV...then death.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nedryland
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:39 am

Not a single one.

Simon Masrani wrote:
“The key to a happy life is to accept you are never actually in control.”
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spiegel
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:25 am

I'd prefer none, or only a very limited role. Indominus showed that making a hybrid was a bad idea and so any future park probably wouldn't bother, at least I'd hope.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.facebook.com/100LettersToNowhere/?fref=photo
MissDNA
TFW RPG Moderator
TFW RPG Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:37 pm

No ser. I want to watch dinosaurs, and the whole thing with Indominus and hybrid dinosaurs left a real bad taste in my mouth from JW. It made me realise that now they had no limit to this repeated theme of adding bigger and badder dinosaurs to beat, with no thought of expanding the rest of the JP universe or even try to come up with something new.
Besides, T.rex would only turn into a bigger and bigger wuss next to these behemoth super mutants.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spinosaur4.4
Triceratops
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:46 pm

The problem is not if I want. The problem is that we'll get hybrids, the fandom wanting it or not.

The only hybrid I would like to see was mini I.rex. I just loved I.rex concept and design, I wouldn't see any problem with mini I.rex. But it's the only hybrid I would want for JW2.

Unfortunately, I'm 99% sure we'll get more hybrids.

Universal wants what sells, and GA approved the I.rex, so that means they would probably approve more hybrids too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Wu
Dimorphodon
Dimorphodon

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:36 pm

It also depends on what they look like. Most fans loved the way the Indominus looked. Having only mini Indominus wouldn't allow for some originality. If we get more hybrids I want them to look interesting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spinosaur4.4
Triceratops
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:39 pm

Dr. Wu wrote:
It also depends on what they look like. Most fans loved the way the Indominus looked. Having only mini Indominus wouldn't allow for some originality. If we get more hybrids I want them to look interesting.

Spoke trully like Wu. Razz tongue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Matheus_Temple
Embryo
Embryo

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:54 pm

I would love to see a Stegoceratops, Dilophosaurus rex and a Pteraminus.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJFU
Embryo
Embryo

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:10 pm

There are plenty of unique, real dinosaurs that the filmmakers could use, although I wouldn't mind seeing a couple hybrid dinosaurs in minor roles, but nothing more than that. There was a time when I was younger where I would have loved to see a movie consisting entirely of Chaos Effect creatures, but I realized that that would have been too much.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TRK
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:21 pm

I wouldn't mind it as long as they aren't to far-fetched, like Ankylodocus.

TheRexMan22
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:28 pm

Depends on the route the next film takes to be honest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aegyptiacus3
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:36 am

I have no doubt that we will, but I hope they don't go too overboard on it. As long as it doesn't clinch the entire movie, I would like a return to real dinosaurs please Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.instagram.com/aegyptiacus3
Raptor Blue
Embryo
Embryo

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:31 am

No
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Megatronus Rex
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:49 pm

I don't. Even if it's something cool like a raptor/rex/mosasaur hybrid, no thanks. I want real dinosaurs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nedryland
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:37 pm

Dr. Wu wrote:

The Indominus look completely out of proportion and basically like a slackjawed hillbilly. tongue

I wish they stuck to the concept design, personally.

Spoiler:

With regard to future films, I seriously hope and pray that hybrids are left out.

Simon Masrani wrote:
“The key to a happy life is to accept you are never actually in control.”
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spinosaur4.4
Triceratops
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:58 pm

To imagine I.rex would look much more like a Giganotosaurus...I would love that.
I want real dinosaurs, and by that I mean new ones, not the same generic we are tired to see on screens and such.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darth Spidey
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:27 pm

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClTD7BVp0C0AopETI1coujw
Tyrant Lizard
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:12 am

Not overly interested in more hybrids.

Don't get me wrong, the Indominus was awesome. It was able to successfully strike that middle ground between looking like a real dinosaur that could fit into the JP universe, and a genetically spliced monster that was unlike anything we'd ever seen.

That being said, it's highly unlikely that the filmmakers would be able to strike gold like that every time. I'd prefer to see some attempts at real world application of dinosaurs that actually existed.

Seeing miniaturized versions of some actual dinosaurs would be kind of cool tho.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mutantapk
Embryo
Embryo

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:23 pm

I personally am drawing some dinosaur hybrids. I think that they should allow their to be some different dna combination. I mean they do have I-rex, but I want to see what other hybrids they did.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
owenpratt
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:45 am

I loved the Indominus Rex.
But no more hybrids anymore, please. I want real dinosaurs
Back to top Go down
View user profile
V.a.nublarensis
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:09 am

No more hybrids. The I-Rex is awesome, but they should stick to the semi-real dinosaurs. Prior to JW's release, I always thought a hybrid id something that should only be in the final movie.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sickle_Claw

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:25 am

If JW2 ever goes to more hybrids, that opens the doors to homocraptors. Which is primarily the reason I don't want hybrids.

Troodon_formosus
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:33 pm

Not sure why everybody thinks that a film featuring intergeneric hybrids could never also feature "real" dinosaurs. I'd like to see the hybrids take a backseat in this next film, but I don't want the story arc to just get abandoned when it still has potential. The embryos that Wu took off the island shouldn't just be brushed under the carpet in favor of traditional dinosaurs just for the sake of traditional dinosaurs, that would feel forced. Continue the story in a logical direction, please.

I'd much rather the plot progress normally than have JW2 ignore everything that happened in JW for the sake of pretending hybrids don't exist. The sequels from the original trilogy are a little disjointed as they are; let's not have a repeat of that, please. Let's have the movies actually go together as a single, coherent story line. Hybrids happened. They won't just disappear for no reason. They're a part of the franchise now, whether you hate them or really hate them. Or like the three of us who actually would not mind seeing more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://exploresecondearth.boards.net/
Spinosaur4.4
Triceratops
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:11 pm

Sickle_Claw wrote:
If JW2 ever goes to more hybrids, that opens the doors to homocraptors. Which is primarily the reason I don't want hybrids.

It already oppened with I.rex and this movie, clearly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:07 am

I would like to see more hybrids, but only if they are conservative looking. Here are my ideas.

A Velociraptor with the added intelligence of a Troodon.

An Ankylosaurus/Sauropelta or Edmontonia mix. This is simply to bring back the design of the retro Anklyosaurus back using modern technology.

I'd also retcon the JP3 Spinosaurus as a Spinosaurus/T. rex mix. After all, the Marsani backdoor site basically semi-confirms it as a hybrid so they might as go all the way.

I'd also see some hybrids that are based on the CE toyline make an appearance.

Deinonycanis: Deinonychus and Dire Wolf

Compstegnathus: Compy, Stegosaurus, and African Tree Frog

Raptor Alpha: Basically a mix of The Big One and Philippine Eagle DNA.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheRexMan22
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:00 pm

Honestly, I'd rather see rea-- Agh, I can't even say 'real', because as we all know, according to Wu's claims none of the Jurassic Park dinosaurs are genuine recreations of before. Doesn't that render this argument invalid? Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fossildude747
Embryo
Embryo

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:40 pm

evolution_rex wrote:
The implications of Jurassic World is that there will be more of them. I'd prefer them not get as ridiculous as the stegosaurus/Triceratops hybrid we saw on the computer screen in Jurassic Word's laboratory, but the pathway has already been built and it would be strange not to move forward in that direction. However, I hope the hybrid plot ends with JW3, and then we have the next trilogy be about something different.

I honestly agree. Just having the first film in the trilogy have a hybrid and then stopping that would be weird. I don't mind seeing hybrids, as long as they aren't crazy. Indominous looked like a dinosaur that could've actually existed, as long as we don't get stegos with rex heads or crap like that I'm fine with hybrids.

Hybrids are happening, the sooner we accept it the better. Like it or not, I-Rex happened, they can't just ignore that fact now, it's part of the story now.

What they should do though is show the hybrid less, in JW Indominous is pretty much the only animal shown as a threat besides the raptors and pterosaurs, every real dinosaur was basically just food for this thing, with some exceptions. My point is most of the variety we saw like stegos, apatos, ankylos, were all just thrown in there for the indominous to eat.

I want real dinosaurs to be more of a threat, or better yet just make the hybrid a side threat, not the main one. There are plenty of real dinosaurs to be used as threats. In fact, why not use Carnotaurus and Troodon as side threats some time? They've already appeared in other JP media, why not start using these more. Make more hybrids, go ahead, but they have so many unused real dinosaurs to use, the franchise should at least use some of them.

More hybrids are fine, and they are happening, they just need less screentime. Plus with the next movie having more 'horror elements' a hybrid could really help that. And no human hybrids, ever.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sickle_Claw

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:45 am

TheRexMan22 wrote:
Honestly, I'd rather see rea-- Agh, I can't even say 'real', because as we all know, according to Wu's claims none of the Jurassic Park dinosaurs are genuine recreations of before. Doesn't that render this argument invalid? Razz

That really depends on how much Wu is involved with the sequels going forward. In addition I believe as well it depends on if additional dinosaurs are cloned.

Extinction Event
Embryo
Embryo

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:06 pm

Hmmm I agree with a lot of the points made here. Technically, every dinosaur in Jurassic Park is a "hybrid" - as Wu confirmed in JW. Granted, they are hybrids with smaller, modern-day animals. Now, we got dinosaur mixes.

I am not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, I think dinosaurs are "wow enough" and going into this other direction takes the franchise in a radically different place. A place I am unsure I want to see the franchise go. Especially if it goes in the direction of Godzilla/Cloverfield-esque hybrid monsters ripping apart cities.

I know the movies do not focus as heavily on the implications of genetic engineering and human arrogance as Crichton's books but I kind of wish it did. The dinosaurs were always the back drop to that theme. One of my favorite scenes in JW was Wu talking to Masrani. Or the lunch scene in the original JP. I wish there was a little bit more of that.

Plus, with so many "real" dinosaurs, it just seems like such a squandered opportunity to immediately jump into the hybrid monster route.

On the other hand ... the "real" dinosaurs are also limited by the repeated use of Velociraptors and Tyrannosaurs Rex. Don't get me wrong - those two are classics. But as long as they're repeated, we'll never get time for the others. Say what you will about JP3 and the Spino, but it least was something new as a big bad.

I think that since I've come to grips with the fact that the "real" dinosaurs aren't even really real (the raptors had feathers and we're not so big or the Dilo didn't spit poison or had that fan around its neck for example), then the idea of hybrids becomes more palatable to me.

I just worry that this will go from Jurassic Park to a full on Resident Evil monsters movie and the "feel" of what this was supposed to be will go.

I guess this really depends on where the story can go. There are only so many times you can lure tourists to a park that has failed twice and gotten people killed. The hybrid route might be the only direction left?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Triceratops
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:18 pm

In the past, I've always said that open to seeing more hybrids if done tastefully and in a way that services the themes and the plot. At most, I could tolerate the idea of some nefarious corporation (be it Biosyn or InGen) obtaining the Indominus rex's DNA and cloning it to be smaller and more manageable as Hoskin's alluded to. That might strike people as a sort of loose remake of the Baby Zillas from Godzilla 1998, but I still see the potential in that as a means of contrast to the velociraptors.

But recently, I've stopped seeing the pursuit of more hybrids as something I necessarily want. It's not needed to revitalize the franchise, and its not the reason why we fans and audience members come out to see these films. Yes, Jurassic World made the most money of the franchise thus far, but it wasn't because of the I.rex, at least not by itself. More hybrids means more liability for silly mistakes and bad writing; Universal might push for that but Bayona and Trevorrow don't strike me as the sorts to continue pursuing it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Wu
Dimorphodon
Dimorphodon

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:42 pm

I'm still fine having hybrids in future films but there better be "real" dinosaurs in them too. If both get equal screen time then sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BoulderFaceplant
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:24 am

The JP dinosaurs allow me to romanticize and picture real dinosaurs looking that way. Hybrids ruin all of that, so hell no.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
owenpratt
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:20 am

No more hybrids. I liked the Indominus, but that's it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Minmi
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:49 pm

No, I want to see dinosaurs that actually existed. There's plenty of weird and wonderful real-life saurians that could be included in this movie, so really there's no need for a fake hybrid dinosaur that never existed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TyrantGojira
Embryo
Embryo

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Mon May 29, 2017 6:08 pm

I'd rather not. But if they did, I don't want them to go crazy like they did with the JP4 concept art. Keep it simple and realistic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Troyal1
Triceratops
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Mon May 29, 2017 6:37 pm

As long as they aren't over the top crazy(like a two headed raptor chasing people). I'm kinda okay with it.  Although if a hybrid causes other dinosaurs to lose screen time, or if it prevents us from seeing a couple new dinosaurs I'm firmly against it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sickle_Claw

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Mon May 29, 2017 7:14 pm

Hybrids aren't going anywhere. But I suspect we will also see new dinos.

Spinosaur4.4
Triceratops
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    Mon May 29, 2017 7:30 pm

How cute.  Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you want to see more hybrids?    

Back to top Go down

Do you want to see more hybrids?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Jurassic Mainframe Forums :: The Franchise :: Film Universe :: JW: Fallen Kingdom Talk-
Jump to: