Where Life Found a Way...est. 2016
 
HomeMainframeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 685
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 28
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Mon May 08, 2017 5:35 pm

This is going to sound crass...but I'm sort of hoping Scott just likes to talk, because the man is 79, and with me already skeptical of his new vision for the franchise, I just can't see him making four more films. There's some very healthy older people out there, doing lots of things, but it seems unlikely to me he does even one more of these honestly. Unless he's planning it out and setting up other directors, and even then, reviews so far are extremely mixed, and FOX may not consider his ideas outright after this.

_______________
Make the Sayles JP IV script into an animated series! Admit it, you'd watch it.
 
"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus
avatar

Posts : 2192
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Mon May 08, 2017 5:46 pm

@TheDreamMaster wrote:
This is going to sound crass...but I'm sort of hoping Scott just likes to talk, because the man is 79, and with me already skeptical of his new vision for the franchise, I just can't see him making four more films. There's some very healthy older people out there, doing lots of things, but it seems unlikely to me he does even one more of these honestly. Unless he's planning it out and setting up other directors, and even then, reviews so far are extremely mixed, and FOX may not consider his ideas outright after this.

WOW! I thought that he was in his late 60's-early 70's. But I didn't know that he was that old. Between what Fox did to the series starting with Alien 3 and his age, he really does come across as a grumpy old man. I'd like to think that Fox would wrestle the franchise from him, but as I said before, considering how they ran it into the ground since Alien 3, they don't have a legitimate leg to stand on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Troyal1
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus
avatar

Posts : 666
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Mon May 08, 2017 8:50 pm

@TheDreamMaster wrote:
This is going to sound crass...but I'm sort of hoping Scott just likes to talk, because the man is 79, and with me already skeptical of his new vision for the franchise, I just can't see him making four more films. There's some very healthy older people out there, doing lots of things, but it seems unlikely to me he does even one more of these honestly. Unless he's planning it out and setting up other directors, and even then, reviews so far are extremely mixed, and FOX may not consider his ideas outright after this.
Even though I agree with you and I'd rather have  Alien 5.

I can see it from his perspective. He made an awesome movie and was not asked back for the sequel. The sequel was awesome but 3 and 4 have mixed to awful reception generally(I actually like 3). And while he was clearly not needed for Aliens as it turned out, I would be salty as hell if I was not asked back to the sequel of an awesome movie I created. I feel like he wants to die making Alien movies since that opportunity was ripped from him and he wants to shape its universe. I feel like probably never let it go so to speak.

And then when he heard about Alien 5 he was all "nope" and that's why we're seeing all these announcements from him. 

How is Alien Covenant tracking box office wise? Could it underperform? And if so could that derail his train? 

I have no idea how alien movies do at the theaters and what is expected of them tbh.

And even if Scott lives long and he's healthy (for his age) is that really healthy enough to run around on sets and direct big budget movies?  I wouldn't think so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus
avatar

Posts : 2192
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Mon May 08, 2017 9:36 pm

I still don't think that Scott will de-canonize Aliens, simply because of how massive the backlash would be. Fox would have to force Scott to backtrack and if he wouldn't, they'd have to fire him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Mon May 08, 2017 9:48 pm

It's the age of rebooting and remaking, do you think Fox really cares that much what happens to the property
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus
avatar

Posts : 2192
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Mon May 08, 2017 10:02 pm

Mistral wrote:
It's the age of rebooting and remaking, do you think Fox really cares that much what happens to the property

Yes, mainly because Tom Rothman hasn't been at Fox for a while. If they let Byran Singer ret-con X3 and Wolverine Origins out of existence with Days Of Future Past, then they would have to care if Scott were to do something that radical. And let's not forget how Disney has ret-conned much of the Star Wars prequels while still keeping them canon.


Last edited by Rhedosaurus on Tue May 09, 2017 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus
avatar

Posts : 2192
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Tue May 09, 2017 5:29 pm

The sequel of Alien: Covenant will start being filmed 14 months from now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Troyal1
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus
avatar

Posts : 666
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Tue May 09, 2017 8:45 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
The sequel of Alien: Covenant will start being filmed 14 months from now.
 Well sh*t, looks like Ridley is pretty serious about all this. Unless Alien covenant is a bomb I guess he's going through with it. 

Also I wanted to let you guys know something. I don't want to give off the impression that i have a HATRED for Ridley or something. It's just that he's not my favorite director (by a long shot) and I really wanted to see Alien 5. I know the director to that would have been very hit or miss based on his track record, but I wanted something different.

But oh well. I shall give Alien covenant a chance and I'll probably go see it in IMAX. 

I just wanted to let you guys know with some of my age comments that I wasn't thinking in my head "man I hope Ridley dies soon" or something like that. It's just a movie lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus
avatar

Posts : 2192
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Tue May 09, 2017 9:23 pm

@Troyal1 wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
The sequel of Alien: Covenant will start being filmed 14 months from now.
 Well sh*t, looks like Ridley is pretty serious about all this. Unless Alien covenant is a bomb I guess he's going through with it. 

Also I wanted to let you guys know something. I don't want to give off the impression that i have a HATRED for Ridley or something. It's just that he's not my favorite director (by a long shot) and I really wanted to see Alien 5. I know the director to that would have been very hit or miss based on his track record, but I wanted something different.

I also wanted to see Alien 5. Or at least some sort of compromise between that and what Ridley has. It's safe to say that Ridley wants to make his movies until he dies or until he is just too old to make movies. At this point, I can't help but wonder if Fox is going to let Scott make movies until the fans get pissed off to the point where they have to fire him and then let new blood take over. Right now, Fox can't stand on any moral high ground since they have ruined all of that since Alien 3 on forward. Even if they wanted to make a move for the best, they can't do it since it would remind people of how their meddling helped lead to this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Troyal1
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus
avatar

Posts : 666
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Tue May 09, 2017 9:30 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@Troyal1 wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
The sequel of Alien: Covenant will start being filmed 14 months from now.
 Well sh*t, looks like Ridley is pretty serious about all this. Unless Alien covenant is a bomb I guess he's going through with it. 

Also I wanted to let you guys know something. I don't want to give off the impression that i have a HATRED for Ridley or something. It's just that he's not my favorite director (by a long shot) and I really wanted to see Alien 5. I know the director to that would have been very hit or miss based on his track record, but I wanted something different.

I also wanted to see Alien 5. Or at least some sort of compromise between that and what Ridley has. It's safe to say that Ridley wants to make his movies until he dies or until he is just too old to make movies. At this point, I can't help but wonder if Fox is going to let Scott make movies until the fans get pissed off to the point where they have to fire him and then let new blood take over. Right now, Fox can't stand on any moral high ground since they have ruined all of that since Alien 3 on forward. Even if they wanted to make a move for the best, they can't do it since it would remind people of how their meddling helped lead to this.

Do you have any idea what the budget for Alien covenant is? What does fox expect it to do? Is it tracking well? 

I genuinely haven't seen anyone talk about these things. I mean is there a chance this movie doesn't do so well at the box office?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus
avatar

Posts : 2192
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Tue May 09, 2017 9:51 pm

@Troyal1 wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@Troyal1 wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
The sequel of Alien: Covenant will start being filmed 14 months from now.
 Well sh*t, looks like Ridley is pretty serious about all this. Unless Alien covenant is a bomb I guess he's going through with it. 

Also I wanted to let you guys know something. I don't want to give off the impression that i have a HATRED for Ridley or something. It's just that he's not my favorite director (by a long shot) and I really wanted to see Alien 5. I know the director to that would have been very hit or miss based on his track record, but I wanted something different.

I also wanted to see Alien 5. Or at least some sort of compromise between that and what Ridley has. It's safe to say that Ridley wants to make his movies until he dies or until he is just too old to make movies. At this point, I can't help but wonder if Fox is going to let Scott make movies until the fans get pissed off to the point where they have to fire him and then let new blood take over. Right now, Fox can't stand on any moral high ground since they have ruined all of that since Alien 3 on forward. Even if they wanted to make a move for the best, they can't do it since it would remind people of how their meddling helped lead to this.

Do you have any idea what the budget for Alien covenant is? What does fox expect it to do? Is it tracking well? 

I genuinely haven't seen anyone talk about these things. I mean is there a chance this movie doesn't do so well at the box office?

Scott himself said it cost $111 million. You have to read 80-90% of the article before he says it though.

Quote wrote:
A film like Alien: Covenant would normally be 100 days; we did it in 74. We made it for $111m, as opposed to $180m or $260m.

RT rating: 75% so far.
Metacritic: 65 out of 100 so far.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Troyal1
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus
avatar

Posts : 666
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Tue May 09, 2017 10:46 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@Troyal1 wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@Troyal1 wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
The sequel of Alien: Covenant will start being filmed 14 months from now.
 Well sh*t, looks like Ridley is pretty serious about all this. Unless Alien covenant is a bomb I guess he's going through with it. 

Also I wanted to let you guys know something. I don't want to give off the impression that i have a HATRED for Ridley or something. It's just that he's not my favorite director (by a long shot) and I really wanted to see Alien 5. I know the director to that would have been very hit or miss based on his track record, but I wanted something different.

I also wanted to see Alien 5. Or at least some sort of compromise between that and what Ridley has. It's safe to say that Ridley wants to make his movies until he dies or until he is just too old to make movies. At this point, I can't help but wonder if Fox is going to let Scott make movies until the fans get pissed off to the point where they have to fire him and then let new blood take over. Right now, Fox can't stand on any moral high ground since they have ruined all of that since Alien 3 on forward. Even if they wanted to make a move for the best, they can't do it since it would remind people of how their meddling helped lead to this.

Do you have any idea what the budget for Alien covenant is? What does fox expect it to do? Is it tracking well? 

I genuinely haven't seen anyone talk about these things. I mean is there a chance this movie doesn't do so well at the box office?

Scott himself said it cost $111 million. You have to read 80-90% of the article before he says it though.

Quote wrote:
A film like Alien: Covenant would normally be 100 days; we did it in 74. We made it for $111m, as opposed to $180m or $260m.

RT rating: 75% so far.
Metacritic: 65 out of 100 so far.

WOW! The movie certainly looks way better than a 110M, atleast imo from the trailers. Looks like he's made his money go a long way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 685
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 28
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Wed May 10, 2017 9:10 am

@Troyal1 wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
The sequel of Alien: Covenant will start being filmed 14 months from now.
 Well sh*t, looks like Ridley is pretty serious about all this. Unless Alien covenant is a bomb I guess he's going through with it. 

Also I wanted to let you guys know something. I don't want to give off the impression that i have a HATRED for Ridley or something. It's just that he's not my favorite director (by a long shot) and I really wanted to see Alien 5. I know the director to that would have been very hit or miss based on his track record, but I wanted something different.

But oh well. I shall give Alien covenant a chance and I'll probably go see it in IMAX. 

I just wanted to let you guys know with some of my age comments that I wasn't thinking in my head "man I hope Ridley dies soon" or something like that. It's just a movie lol.

I sort of felt the same way about my post. I don't want the man to die, but I just feel like it's not exactly right for him to take a franchise that's been out of his hands for so long and try to reinvent it. Yeah reboots and remakes sort of do it all the time, but so far he hasn't really proven to be doing anything ground breaking or, well great. Prometheus has its moments so I hear, still haven't watched it yet, but the reviews for Covenant are pretty all over the place which doesn't give me a lot of confidence. True it could be Resurrection bad, which no review has said it is yet, but him wanting to keep going forward on mediocrity isn't what I want. I mean yes he directed and had control over the original Alien, but he didn't even actually create the concept or write the script, so I don't exactly see why he thinks he's the savior of the franchise anyway. I'll always respect the great films he did, Hell I still respect him for working like this at his age. That said, I wish they'd either take a chance on Alien 5, or wait a while and pick up the series somewhere down the line instead.

Honestly I wish they'd take another shot at AvP, but actually in the Alien future with marines and such.

_______________
Make the Sayles JP IV script into an animated series! Admit it, you'd watch it.
 
"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus
avatar

Posts : 2192
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Wed May 10, 2017 4:34 pm

Ridley Scott admits that he blew it with Prometheus and dialed back the sequels to Alien: Covenant from 4 to either 1 or 2.

Quote wrote:
“I don’t know. [I’ll make] maybe two more [films], or maybe one more, I don’t know.”

Back to top Go down
View user profile
dance2nite
Ankylosaurus
Ankylosaurus
avatar

Posts : 271
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 24
Location : Melbourne, Australia

PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Wed May 10, 2017 7:18 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
Ridley Scott admits that he blew it with Prometheus and dialed back the sequels to Alien: Covenant from 4 to either 1 or 2.

Quote wrote:
“I don’t know. [I’ll make] maybe two more [films], or maybe one more, I don’t know.”


Good Idea, I'm off to see Covenant tomorrow, looking forward to it, been getting good reviews here in Oz, will report back with my rating out of 10 tomorrow! Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Wed May 10, 2017 9:12 pm

@Troyal1 wrote:
WOW! The movie certainly looks way better than a 110M, atleast imo from the trailers. Looks like he's made his money go a long way.

It's kind of sad that 111 million today is considered lower end.

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
Ridley Scott admits that he blew it with Prometheus and dialed back the sequels to Alien: Covenant from 4 to either 1 or 2.

What the hell was he expecting? Even if Prometheus had been the most brilliant piece of film ever put on cinema - which it of course wasn't but for arguments sake - it was always going to get people moaning for more aliens. Masses aren't interested in complicated 1970's scifi stories about humanity and eternal life and whatever, they want the same crap as before. Now, had he actually completely removed the Alien aspect from Prometheus and just produced the movie without them, the backlash very likely wouldn't been bad... even with all of it's other bland qualities and Lost-writing. Because the hype also wouldn't have been to millionth degree. Of course, the studio never likely would've green-lighted the film, or at least not with that budget, if the Aliens hadn't been there in the first place - I mean it was even marketed heavily as such - but that's another issue.

I don't think he's admitting anything here. He's just giving people what they want now that the flood doors have been opened. He hasn't had particularly successful track record lately so doing more of crowd-pleasing "fanservice" will make up for it. What I think he would actually like to do is tell more of his "deeper" scifi stories, but now that's too late now, so he will just do couple of Alien films to finish it off with some of those scifi premises mildly integrated into them. Enthusiastically or not.
Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus
avatar

Posts : 666
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Thu May 11, 2017 9:35 pm

@TheDreamMaster wrote:
@Troyal1 wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
The sequel of Alien: Covenant will start being filmed 14 months from now.
 Well sh*t, looks like Ridley is pretty serious about all this. Unless Alien covenant is a bomb I guess he's going through with it. 

Also I wanted to let you guys know something. I don't want to give off the impression that i have a HATRED for Ridley or something. It's just that he's not my favorite director (by a long shot) and I really wanted to see Alien 5. I know the director to that would have been very hit or miss based on his track record, but I wanted something different.

But oh well. I shall give Alien covenant a chance and I'll probably go see it in IMAX. 

I just wanted to let you guys know with some of my age comments that I wasn't thinking in my head "man I hope Ridley dies soon" or something like that. It's just a movie lol.

I sort of felt the same way about my post. I don't want the man to die, but I just feel like it's not exactly right for him to take a franchise that's been out of his hands for so long and try to reinvent it. Yeah reboots and remakes sort of do it all the time, but so far he hasn't really proven to be doing anything ground breaking or, well great. Prometheus has its moments so I hear, still haven't watched it yet, but the reviews for Covenant are pretty all over the place which doesn't give me a lot of confidence. True it could be Resurrection bad, which no review has said it is yet, but him wanting to keep going forward on mediocrity isn't what I want. I mean yes he directed and had control over the original Alien, but he didn't even actually create the concept or write the script, so I don't exactly see why he thinks he's the savior of the franchise anyway. I'll always respect the great films he did, Hell I still respect him for working like this at his age. That said, I wish they'd either take a chance on Alien 5, or wait a while and pick up the series somewhere down the line instead.

Honestly I wish they'd take another shot at AvP, but actually in the Alien future with marines and such.

Watched Prometheus. Liked it actually. #Suprised.

Lots of flaws but I was intrigued and it held my interest the whole time. You should give it a go.

And it's convinced me that I should see Alien Covenant in theaters. If it can marry what I just watched with the original Alien, I think I'll like Covenant quite a bit!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aegyptiacus3
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
avatar

Posts : 71
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Elephant Island, Antarctica

PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Fri May 12, 2017 7:24 am

I've seen Alien: Covenant twice now and it's... below average in my opinion. Not as good as Prometheus. Negatives outweighed the positives.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.instagram.com/aegyptiacus3
dance2nite
Ankylosaurus
Ankylosaurus
avatar

Posts : 271
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 24
Location : Melbourne, Australia

PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Fri May 12, 2017 7:04 pm

@Aegyptiacus3 wrote:
I've seen Alien: Covenant twice now and it's... below average in my opinion. Not as good as Prometheus. Negatives outweighed the positives.

I was meant to see it yesterday but couldn't, is it worth seeing in cinemas or waiting for the Blu-ray? Thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Fri May 12, 2017 7:09 pm

Is it full of fanservice and pointless references? That's my main concern with these soft reboots. The trailers certainly indicate that direction again

You can answer in spoiler tags if you wish, but I'll read them nevertheless (here I don't particularly care if I get spoiled before seeing it, since my excitement levels are near zero anyway)
Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus
avatar

Posts : 666
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Fri May 12, 2017 8:27 pm

@Aegyptiacus3 wrote:
I've seen Alien: Covenant twice now and it's... below average in my opinion. Not as good as Prometheus. Negatives outweighed the positives.

Can your rate both out of 10 please?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aegyptiacus3
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
avatar

Posts : 71
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Elephant Island, Antarctica

PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Sat May 13, 2017 12:07 am

In terms of if it is worth watching in the cinema... Maybe I guess? Depends on what you like.

Mistral wrote:
Is it full of fanservice and pointless references? That's my main concern with these soft reboots. The trailers certainly indicate that direction again

You can answer in spoiler tags if you wish, but I'll read them nevertheless (here I don't particularly care if I get spoiled before seeing it, since my excitement levels are near zero anyway)

It does have some recycled elements from the original Alien and Aliens which was a bit 'eh' but most noticeably I don't think I spotted 1 practical Alien, they were all CGI. And they didn't look convincing. I'd say it's half soft-reboot, half Prometheus sequel.

@Troyal1 wrote:
Can your rate both out of 10 please?
I don't really like giving movies numbered scores, they don't really do justice to a film. But I suppose it was a 5 or 6?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.instagram.com/aegyptiacus3
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Sat May 13, 2017 12:22 am

-


Last edited by Mistral on Sat May 13, 2017 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus
avatar

Posts : 666
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Sat May 13, 2017 11:29 am

@Aegyptiacus3 wrote:
In terms of if it is worth watching in the cinema... Maybe I guess? Depends on what you like.

Mistral wrote:
Is it full of fanservice and pointless references? That's my main concern with these soft reboots. The trailers certainly indicate that direction again

You can answer in spoiler tags if you wish, but I'll read them nevertheless (here I don't particularly care if I get spoiled before seeing it, since my excitement levels are near zero anyway)

It does have some recycled elements from the original Alien and Aliens which was a bit 'eh' but most noticeably I don't think I spotted 1 practical Alien, they were all CGI. And they didn't look convincing. I'd say it's half soft-reboot, half Prometheus sequel.

@Troyal1 wrote:
Can your rate both out of 10 please?
I don't really like giving movies numbered scores, they don't really do justice to a film. But I suppose it was a 5 or 6?

But which one was the 5 or 6? I'm trying to gauge how much you enjoyed Prometheus.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aegyptiacus3
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
avatar

Posts : 71
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Elephant Island, Antarctica

PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Sun May 14, 2017 1:22 am


@Troyal1 wrote:


But which one was the 5 or 6? I'm trying to gauge how much you enjoyed Prometheus.

I enjoyed Prometheus and I felt like this produced even more questions. I said I'd give Covenant maybe a 5.5 out of 10
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.instagram.com/aegyptiacus3
Troyal1
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus
avatar

Posts : 666
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Sun May 14, 2017 12:14 pm

@Aegyptiacus3 wrote:

@Troyal1 wrote:


But which one was the 5 or 6? I'm trying to gauge how much you enjoyed Prometheus.

I enjoyed Prometheus and I felt like this produced even more questions. I said I'd give Covenant maybe a 5.5 out of 10

Thanks. I enjoyed Prometheus as well and this is kinda what I've been hearing from friends. They said it had a lot of missed opportunities to where they could have fleshed out the story better.

But hey, I'm going to try and remain optimistic and give it a go anyway. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus
avatar

Posts : 2192
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Sun May 14, 2017 1:12 pm

Our first pictures of Shane Black's Predator 4/The Predator.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dance2nite
Ankylosaurus
Ankylosaurus
avatar

Posts : 271
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 24
Location : Melbourne, Australia

PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Mon May 15, 2017 1:29 am

Just saw it, 5/10 on first viewing, probably the worst Alien movie for me. Could have been so much better I feel.

Only good thing is we now know who created the Aliens... Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead2009
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 988
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Maryland

PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Tue May 16, 2017 3:06 pm


_______________
Last Movie Watched: Casey Jones (2011).
Last TV Show Watched: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (S2:E40).
Last Video Game Played: Sonic Adventure (Gamecube).
http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus
avatar

Posts : 2192
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Tue May 16, 2017 6:58 pm

Is it just me, or are the Neomorphs are not being seen as much in the marketing ads as they should be?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Troyal1
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus
avatar

Posts : 666
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Thu May 18, 2017 9:31 pm

Saw Covenant. Liked it. Although if you're looking for tons of answers to questions brought up in Prometheus you aren't getting them. One major element of what the first Prometheus did right is thrown away in a way that feels cheap and insulting, and ultimately flat out disappointing. I won't say what it is without a spoiler tag though (I'll do a more in depth review tomorrow I'm tired lol).

Also there were moments in this film that made me question if Ridley is going crazy/senile, or if he's just trolling fans at this point. There were a few scenes straight out of a comedy that had the whole theater laughing so hard we were in tears. But it's supposed to be serious. Awkward and cringe worthy. 

Also if you were frustrated at the "Dumb" crew in Prometheus.... well, you haven't seen dumb yet at all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tyrant Lizard
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus
avatar

Posts : 391
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 27
Location : Vancouver, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Thu May 18, 2017 10:57 pm

@Troyal1 wrote:
Saw Covenant. Liked it. Although if you're looking for tons of answers to questions brought up in Prometheus you aren't getting them. One major element of what the first Prometheus did right is thrown away in a way that feels cheap and insulting, and ultimately flat out disappointing. I won't say what it is without a spoiler tag though (I'll do a more in depth review tomorrow I'm tired lol).

Also there were moments in this film that made me question if Ridley is going crazy/senile, or if he's just trolling fans at this point. There were a few scenes straight out of a comedy that had the whole theater laughing so hard we were in tears. But it's supposed to be serious. Awkward and cringe worthy. 

Also if you were frustrated at the "Dumb" crew in Prometheus.... well, you haven't seen dumb yet at all.

Doesn't sound like you liked it xD
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Troyal1
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus
avatar

Posts : 666
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Thu May 18, 2017 11:08 pm

@Tyrant Lizard wrote:
@Troyal1 wrote:
Saw Covenant. Liked it. Although if you're looking for tons of answers to questions brought up in Prometheus you aren't getting them. One major element of what the first Prometheus did right is thrown away in a way that feels cheap and insulting, and ultimately flat out disappointing. I won't say what it is without a spoiler tag though (I'll do a more in depth review tomorrow I'm tired lol).

Also there were moments in this film that made me question if Ridley is going crazy/senile, or if he's just trolling fans at this point. There were a few scenes straight out of a comedy that had the whole theater laughing so hard we were in tears. But it's supposed to be serious. Awkward and cringe worthy. 

Also if you were frustrated at the "Dumb" crew in Prometheus.... well, you haven't seen dumb yet at all.

Doesn't sound like you liked it xD

That's the funny thing lol. As negative and bad as it sounds I actually liked it quite a bit. Probably one of the best things I've seen this year. 

Have you ever seen a film where everything is going just fantastic. And it starts to get a bit dumb but it's still really good and you accept it. And then the director out of nowhere comes in and just kicks you in the balls a few times, gives you the finger randomly and leaves the room. 

And then the movie goes back to be being fairly decent IMO. Like there were things I loved about it and there were things that were so disappointing. I'm glad I just watched Prometheus last week, because if I had been waiting since 2012 for answers I would have walked out devastated.

Also Ridley Scott, what in the hell are doing putting vital scenes and clips on YouTube instead of the movie? 
I'll do an in depth review tomorrow if anyone cares to hear my opinion on the movie but I gotta sleep
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Fri May 19, 2017 7:36 am

I liked Covenant, but it has lots of problems and I still think the comics have handled the property much better. Now watch Scott ignore - Aliens - and come up with a whole new way to create eggs and a replacement for the Queen.

Sometimes I feel like he is taking the 'alien' element out of 'Alien' by making everything too connected to humans and / or basing things too much on our own fauna.

---

As for the new Predator movie. There are entire scripts breakdowns going around. It will be a very polarizing movie among hardcore fans, because it introduces a ton of new ideas.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus
avatar

Posts : 2192
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Fri May 19, 2017 7:17 pm

Brad Jones didn't like Alien: Covenant. His friend, Dave, liked the first 2 acts, but hated the final 3rd act.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Troyal1
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus
avatar

Posts : 666
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Fri May 19, 2017 8:25 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
Brad Jones didn't like Alien: Covenant. His friend, Dave, liked the first 2 acts, but hated the final 3rd act.


I liked the movie a lot but I pretty much agree with these guys on all fronts. The title gives it away. If you wanted to see a movie about 

Spoiler:
 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 685
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 28
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Sat May 20, 2017 1:12 am

Well I still haven't seen Prometheus but I just saw Covenant. I'm in the middle on it.

Spoiler:
 

So yeah, I guess I have more dislikes about it, but I didn't walk out hating it. It just felt hollow. It feels like Scott is reaching for one last grab at glory and falling short. He's gone back and made the universe he had a hand in creating worse. If I enjoy Prometheus I might reconsider but this may be the first series I let my headcanon run wild and ignore what Scott is trying to set up.

5.5/10

_______________
Make the Sayles JP IV script into an animated series! Admit it, you'd watch it.
 
"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus
avatar

Posts : 2192
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Sat May 20, 2017 10:35 am

@TheDreamMaster wrote:
Well I still haven't seen Prometheus but I just saw Covenant. I'm in the middle on it.

Spoiler:
 

So yeah, I guess I have more dislikes about it, but I didn't walk out hating it. It just felt hollow. It feels like Scott is reaching for one last grab at glory and falling short. He's gone back and made the universe he had a hand in creating worse. If I enjoy Prometheus I might reconsider but this may be the first series I let my headcanon run wild and ignore what Scott is trying to set up.

5.5/10

Considering how the AvP duelogy ruined both franchises for a while, wasn't itl going to be ret-conned out of both franchises anyway? Not only that, but I just don't see how Scott can get away with removing Aliens form the canon. That's far too popular. Not only that, but James Cameron is going to be directing Avatar 2 soon. You don't think that he'd raise all sorts of hell if Scott were to do something like that? I guarantee you, if that were to happen, then Cameron would fix the damage himself.It wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened. Look at how they let Bryan Singer ret-con X3: The Last Stand of out existence via Days Of Future Past and how Paramount is going to remove every Terminator movie made after T2 out of existence with a proper sequel to T2.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sickle_Claw
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 630
Join date : 2012-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Sat May 20, 2017 11:29 am

Ive been thinking of going to see this on monday or tuesday due to a busy schedule and seeing as theaters will be less crowded on weekdays

_______________
Read my Story Jurassic Park: Chaos Theory!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Troyal1
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus
avatar

Posts : 666
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Sat May 20, 2017 2:30 pm

@TheDreamMaster wrote:
Well I still haven't seen Prometheus but I just saw Covenant. I'm in the middle on it.

Spoiler:
 

So yeah, I guess I have more dislikes about it, but I didn't walk out hating it. It just felt hollow. It feels like Scott is reaching for one last grab at glory and falling short. He's gone back and made the universe he had a hand in creating worse. If I enjoy Prometheus I might reconsider but this may be the first series I let my headcanon run wild and ignore what Scott is trying to set up.

5.5/10

When you say "what the hell scott" you are talking about 
Spoiler:
 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Sat May 20, 2017 2:56 pm

Originally (1st cut of the movie) both the neo and the xeno would

Spoiler:
 

So I guess this is where the neo vs xeno scene rumor came from.
Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus
avatar

Posts : 666
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Sat May 20, 2017 9:01 pm

Neomorph wrote:
Originally (1st cut of the movie) both the neo and the xeno would

Spoiler:
 

So I guess this is where the neo vs xeno scene rumor came from.

I'm not doubting you at all and I don't think you're lying. But may I have a link for this info? Was it filmed? Any chance we see it as a deleted scene?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HennexForest
Unhatched Egg
Unhatched Egg


Posts : 19
Join date : 2016-11-22
Age : 25
Location : Chico, CA

PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Sat May 20, 2017 11:03 pm

I do not want anymore Ridley Scott Alien films.  I haven't felt this disappointed in anything in a long time. I think Covenant may have just killed my weekend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus
avatar

Posts : 2192
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Sun May 21, 2017 10:23 am

According to Box Office Mojo, the new Alien movie will just barely beat out Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 2. but only by just under $1 million dollars.

That's pretty low for such a long running franchise. I didn't think it would struggle this much. It fells more like a semi-Pyrrhic victory if anything else. Next week, it's very possible that GOTG Vol 2. retakes that top spot given how divisive this movie has become. I wonder how much of it is because of how people have soured on Ridley Scott.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
evolution_rex
Pachycephalosaurus
Pachycephalosaurus
avatar

Posts : 173
Join date : 2012-04-06
Age : 21
Location : California

PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   Sun May 21, 2017 11:08 am

I'm surprised that so many people don't like Covenant. I thought it was phenomenal and a huge improvement on Prometheus while still being very much a sequel to it. If the film doesn't do well enough at the box office, then we're obviously not getting the five or six films Scott says he's gonna make. Considering Scott makes these films through his own company and is seen as a powerful force at studios though, I'm pretty sure we'll at least get one other film. And I really want another.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://letterboxd.com/evolution_rex/
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)   

Back to top Go down
 
Whoever wins, we lose: Aliens and Predator (also Prometheus and stuff)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Can I lose 7 lbs in one week?
» Hi, need to lose 80 lbs ASAP!
» What are your best yugioh wins online and IRL
» Laugh you Lose - GIFs
» do figures lose their value if mended/fixed/retouched?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Jurassic Mainframe Boards :: Innovation Center :: Off-Topic Discussions-
Jump to: