The Overall Disney Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:43 pm

The B&B live action reboot will have LGBT character.

If this was an original movie, then I wouldn't mind. But putting it in a reboot of a beloved Disney classic, no thanks. I wasn't fond of this and now I'm hoping it underperforms.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:48 pm

The sad thing, it IS going to perform like crazy, it would take toxic word of mouth to take the wind out of the film's sails. Its certainly not going to stop the conveyor belt of Disney remakes. But worse still, making LeFou gay is that appalling attitude of thinking they're "better than the source material", which always pisses me off. It might not be as bad as Maleficent but this is not the Beauty and the Beast I had hoped for, and I got on the hype wave.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:16 pm

@BarrytheOnyx wrote:
The sad thing, it IS going to perform like crazy, it would take toxic word of mouth to take the wind out of the film's sails. Its certainly not going to stop the conveyor belt of Disney remakes. But worse still, making LeFou gay is that appalling attitude of thinking they're "better than the source material", which always pisses me off. It might not be as bad as Maleficent but this is not the Beauty and the Beast I had hoped for, and I got on the hype wave.

I'd rather see Maleficent then see this trash. At least that movie didn't shove any SJW down anybodies throat. I honestly hope that they don't pull off this crap with the live action reboot of 'The Lion King'. If there is one good thing about all this, it's that they will all be forgotten or if they are remembered, they will be so as worthless as pieces of crap while the originals will look even better. A lot like the Dr. Seuss movies are.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:32 pm

Holy sh*t. I don't remember seeing this much vitriol last week. Dr Seuss movies, lets not kid ourselves, are either bad or flat out terrible.

Maleficent actually WAS SJW AND misandry propaganda and then some, so it would be remarkable if Beauty and the Beast manages to top it for obnoxiousness.

And to give the Devil his due, The Jungle Book and Pete's Dragon were really good films, in the case of The Jungle Book it walked the fine line between homage and rip-off of it's animated source material, and creating their own identities. I have to admit, Cinderella in both live action or animation isn't my favourite of the Disney canon, so the new one was just another version, but there have been many live action iterations of the Cinderella fairy tale, so there isn't any real damage done to the source material.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:04 pm

@BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Holy sh*t. I don't remember seeing this much vitriol last week. Dr Seuss movies, lets not kid ourselves, are either bad or flat out terrible.

I guess I'm just one of those old-school traditionalists that's not a big fan of rebooting all the Disney classics with live action. TBF, I didn't see Sleeping Beauty that much, and even then I only saw the whole movie just once and I was just "Meh" with it. That and I was 14 at the time.

In other news. Tron 3 still isn't dead, but is in hibernation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:27 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:

I guess I'm just one of those old-school traditionalists that's not a big fan of rebooting all the Disney classics with live action.

I would normally put myself in the traditionalist crowd, since I'm not usually gushing about the upcoming Disney reboots. But as a kid, I was opened to the idea somewhat of live action counterparts when I saw the 90s live action version of One Hundred and One Dalmations and the Stephen Sommers version of The Jungle Book with Jason Scott Lee. As different as that Jungle Book was, I still basically enjoyed it for what it was and felt that it didn't take away from my enjoyment of the original.

I actually thought more of these live action adaptations would be coming in the early 2000s, fortunately that didn't come to pass since most of them are suited best to animation. But these days, given how much these filmmakers seem to be desperate to try and compare themselves to the animated films, and sometimes be disparaging of them, it leaves a sour taste in my mouth
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:13 am

Spotlight’s Tom McCarthy to Re-Write Disney’s Christopher Robin Film
Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/820677-spotlights-tom-mccarthy-to-re-write-disneys-christopher-robin-film#HQsMRE2vue6jeDdU.99

http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:56 am

Man, Disney really thinks this live action Christopher Robin movie has potential. Also their timing could not be more on the nose, Moonlight wins best picture and they nab that film's screenwriter to .

This new Pirates trailer showed a lot, including some cool bits and some of it stuff I hoped it wouldn't include; quite a few of the jokes just fell flat for me, especially with the joke involving Jack's pants and him falling a sleep standing up. It looks way too digitized to even compare to the first three. I mean, people get on Jurassic World's case for being too CGI heavy, but that film looks like a moderate walk in the park compared to this! I enjoyed the previous trailer, and was overall looking forward to a throwback to one of my favourite franchises (plus the fact that Pirate movies pretty much live or die with this franchise), and I'm still going to see it to review it if nothing else, but this kinda did douse my excitement.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:25 pm

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20170303-whats-the-point-of-remaking-beauty-and-the-beast
But while the new film isn’t terrible, it’s difficult to see what the point of it is as long as the cartoon exists. Beauty and the Beast is simply a cover version of a chart-topping song, played with such anonymous competence that Condon’s motto must have been, “It ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” Another motto might have been better: “If it ain’t broke, don’t remake it.”

Money is the only reason almost any reboot/remake ever exists. And yes this film is totally pointless, but then again most of them are.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:39 pm

It looks like Russia won't show the Beauty and the Beast reboot due to LeFou being gay.

Not really surprising. Russia was never a homosexual friendly country anyway. Lenin tried to break it, but it was never popular and Stalin reversed that decision. I wouldn't be surprised if China follows since their culture considers be so to be a temporary behavior and anything beyond that is heavily frowned upon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:49 am

Mistral wrote:
http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20170303-whats-the-point-of-remaking-beauty-and-the-beast
But while the new film isn’t terrible, it’s difficult to see what the point of it is as long as the cartoon exists. Beauty and the Beast is simply a cover version of a chart-topping song, played with such anonymous competence that Condon’s motto must have been, “It ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” Another motto might have been better: “If it ain’t broke, don’t remake it.”

Money is the only reason almost any reboot/remake ever exists. And yes this film is totally pointless, but then again most of them are.

I believe the original Beauty and the Beast showed a punny variation of that phrase, "If it's not Baroque, don't fix it!"

Clearly such advice was not followed, and if nothing else their dismissive and condescending attitude towards the original will cause it to be reevaluated and reappraised as the classic that it is. It certainly makes one wonder if they can get away with The Lion King remake before its too late for them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:10 am

@BarrytheOnyx wrote:
I believe the original Beauty and the Beast showed a punny variation of that phrase, "If it's not Baroque, don't fix it!"

Clearly such advice was not followed, and if nothing else their dismissive and condescending attitude towards the original will cause it to be reevaluated and reappraised as the classic that it is. It certainly makes one wonder if they can get away with The Lion King remake before its too late for them.

Hate to say I told ya so, but...I did.

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
I honestly hope that they don't pull off this crap with the live action reboot of 'The Lion King'. If there is one good thing about all this, it's that they will all be forgotten or if they are remembered, they will be so as worthless as pieces of crap while the originals will look even better. A lot like the Dr. Seuss movies are.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:20 am

Fair enough, but I do think calling them "Dr Seuss Movies" is crossing the line. And far be it for me to throw The Jungle Book under the bus to make the entire endeavour look bad (that I can do just fine by myself). We will observe how this all pans out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:28 am

@BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Fair enough, but I do think calling them "Dr Seuss Movies" is crossing the line. And far be it for me to throw The Jungle Book under the bus to make the entire endeavour look bad (that I can do just fine by myself). We will observe how this all pans out.

My intent was to make a comparison and that was the best I could think of of the top of my head. That said, I guess I should have had a better comparison then the Dr. Seuss movies. I guess I'm just an old school Disney person who just reluctant to have any reboots of the movies I saw growing up. Even more so with how Disney is trying to add in SJW crap into it. I will give The Jungle Book reboot credit for not having that, but if the B&B reboot is something to go by...Yeah, hopefully the controversy is enough to make them reconsider that in the future.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:17 pm

Russia will let the Beauty and the Beast reboot be shown, but with a 16+ rating. Which is basically an R-rating.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:45 pm

Danny DeVito is in talks to star in the live action Dumbo movie.

I honestly thought he retired some time ago.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CT-1138
Dinosaur Fact File Curator

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:39 pm

Well, he is short enough for the main role. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://abekowalski.deviantart.com/
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:29 am

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
Russia will let the Beauty and the Beast reboot be shown, but with a 16+ rating. Which is basically an R-rating.

This is tremendous.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:15 pm

Speaking of BatB, I think this may be my favorite song from the new movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPcxqpMbcSg
Back to top Go down
Minmi
Dimorphodon
Dimorphodon

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:39 am

One of the best things about Disney would have to be the music. I mean, who doesn't love a classic Disney song? My personal favourites are as follows:

1. "Be Prepared"
2. "The Siamese Cat Song"
3. "Part of That World"
4. "Poor Unfortunate Souls"
5. "I Just Can't Wait to be King"
6. "I'll Make a Man Out of You"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:35 pm

The live-action Mulan movie won't be a musical but a a big, girly martial arts epic".

Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:59 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
The live-action Mulan movie won't be a musical but a a big, girly martial arts epic".

Last time I read something to do with the live action Mulan, they said they were looking to Ridley Scott for inspiration. Admirable choice, his work on Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven speak for themselves, and the new Mulan could be a stirring fantasy epic. But the choice of words as a "big, girly martial arts epic" doesn't gel with what they said they were looking for on a creative level.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:11 pm

@BarrytheOnyx wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:

Last time I read something to do with the live action Mulan, they said they were looking to Ridley Scott for inspiration. Admirable choice, his work on Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven speak for themselves, and the new Mulan could be a stirring fantasy epic. But the choice of words as a "big, girly martial arts epic" doesn't gel with what they said they were looking for on a creative level.

I just hope it's a legit female empowerment movie that also treats men with respect and not a cross of Mulan meets GB2016.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:51 pm

So far the B&B live action reboot made $357 million dollars.

I saw the review that Brad Jones did and he said that while it was a well made movie he also thought that it was a cash grab, but without actually saying those words.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:08 am

Disney Not Planning Beauty and the Beast Sequel

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:53 pm

Disney CEO Bob Igor will stay at Disney for at least 2 more years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:12 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:

It can truly be said that Bob Iger's term at Disney has been one of extraordinary success, from the acquisition of Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm to the rejuvenation of the Walt Disney Animation division. Despite my gripes with the company's insistence on live action remakes over original material, there is no doubting that that strategy has worked in their favour because they now rank high above old rivals like Warner Bros and Universal. Certainly makes sense for them to keep Iger on board for a few more years, but I do wonder who will be successor and whether they will be able to maintain Disney's current position in the Hollywood food chain or take more creative risks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:20 pm

@BarrytheOnyx wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:

It can truly be said that Bob Iger's term at Disney has been one of extraordinary success, from the acquisition of Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm to the rejuvenation of the Walt Disney Animation division. Despite my gripes with the company's insistence on live action remakes over original material, there is no doubting that that strategy has worked in their favour because they now rank high above old rivals like Warner Bros and Universal. Certainly makes sense for them to keep Iger on board for a few more years, but I do wonder who will be successor and whether they will be able to maintain Disney's current position in the Hollywood food chain or take more creative risks.

From what I've been seeing, they're mainly doing this because they really don't have a successor. This must be a play for more time to find somebody to continue Igor's work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:48 pm

The Wreck It Ralph sequel will be named 'Ralph Brakes The Internet'.

I'm a little surprised this movie took so long to make considering how well the first movie was received.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:52 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:

I'm a little surprised this movie took so long to make considering how well the first movie was received.

I think when it comes to Disney Animated sequels, they tend to be more hesitant when it comes to the ones that are cinematically released. The Rescuers Down Under bombed and 2011's Winnie the Pooh also under-performed (you could say that was a sequel, of sorts, to the original Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh). Plus animated Disney sequels do tend to have a negative stigma thanks to the DTV market.

With that said, I'm sure the Wreck It Ralph sequel will be well done and well received (provided something really wrong hasn't happened behind the scenes), I just have a hunch that they want to put serious enough effort and space it out from the original and not oversaturate the market. Even Toy Story 2 had a sizeable gap of 4 years from the first film.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:21 pm

@BarrytheOnyx wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:

I think when it comes to Disney Animated sequels, they tend to be more hesitant when it comes to the ones that are cinematically released. The Rescuers Down Under bombed and 2011's Winnie the Pooh also under-performed (you could say that was a sequel, of sorts, to the original Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh). Plus animated Disney sequels do tend to have a negative stigma thanks to the DTV market.

With that said, I'm sure the Wreck It Ralph sequel will be well done and well received (provided something really wrong hasn't happened behind the scenes), I just have a hunch that they want to put serious enough effort and space it out from the original and not oversaturate the market. Even Toy Story 2 had a sizeable gap of 4 years from the first film.

Personally, I hope that a main character from a video game, or a well known boss from one who, like Ralph, is actually a nice person, winds up helping out Ralph. In any case, I find it remarkable that the first movie is considered the best video game movie to have been made. Hopefully, the can make a movie based on that same style, but with better known characters.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Oshronosaurus
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:56 pm

that's too common a fallacy concerning Wreck-It Ralph: it's NOT a video game movie, it's a movie that happens to be set IN a video game. it's more like Tron than, say, the Hitman or Resident Evil movies. tbph, i think that's part of the strength of it: it's not really adapting a video game and treating it as if it were in the real world (again, contrast Super Mario Bros. or Street Fighter, which tried being "real"), it's set IN the video game itself and that lets it get delightfully meta since it still runs on video game physics, which in turn helps its believability (and being animated certainly helps, too)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Ultimasaurus
Ultimasaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:04 pm

Beyonce may play Nala in the live action reboot of 'The Lion King'.

I like her work with Destiny's Child as well as the song Single Ladies, but she's not a good fit for Nala. As a supporting character, maybe. But she won't settle for that.

Last edited by Rhedosaurus on Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:10 am

Yeah.... this is very uninspired casting for Nala. I would have simply cast Lupita Nyongo instead! Hers was a perfect mix of youthfulness and strength, and lent itself well to a leader and maternal figure as Raksha the wolf.

The only reason I could see this is because they want to have Nala sing, which includes Can You Feel The Love Tonight. But even then, they've cast someone who's better known as a singer rather than an actress in a crucial role that actually has a lot of emotion and drama invested in her. So yeah, I'm not impressed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:43 pm

Beauty and the Beast - both the 1991 and 2017 versions. I loved the new live action version, and I think it's actually superior to the animated version. It fleshes out the characters better, and fixes the questionable plot lines created in the 1991 version.

The Little Mermaid - When Disney remakes this one, I REAAALLLY hope they do what Beauty and the Beast did, fixing some of the more questionable parts. Case in point: a grown man falling in love with and then marrying a 16 year old girl in 3 days was just super-ick
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:49 am

@CT-1138 wrote:
Beauty and the Beast - both the 1991 and 2017 versions. I loved the new live action version, and I think it's actually superior to the animated version. It fleshes out the characters better, and fixes the questionable plot lines created in the 1991 version.

I am curious as to what parts of the 1991 animated film you found questionable, be it characters or plot lines. I've re-watched and analysed the original over the years and found it to be a better film than many people say it is, and one of those films that needed "fixing" as much as The Lion King or Jurassic Park needed fixing. I'm especially opposed to the Stockholm Syndrome argument. This isn't an attempt to incite an argument, I'm genuinely curious.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Oshronosaurus
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:16 pm

@BarrytheOnyx wrote:
@CT-1138 wrote:

I am curious as to what parts of the 1991 animated film you found questionable, be it characters or plot lines. I've re-watched and analysed the original over the years and found it to be a better film than many people say it is, and one of those films that needed "fixing" as much as The Lion King or Jurassic Park needed fixing. I'm especially opposed to the Stockholm Syndrome argument. This isn't an attempt to incite an argument, I'm genuinely curious.
on the overused Stockholm syndrome argument https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx6GEvhXAGI

the gist of it is that people who say Belle had Stockholm syndrome don't actually know what Stockholm syndrome is--it's up there with "Oh, Calvin has multiple personality syndrome because what normal child with few friends would imagine a whole personality for a stuffed tiger? It's not like this is perfectly normal behavior in young children!" and, on top of that, is about as overused as "Hey everyone, look at me, I'm so witty and original and I'm the first person to ever realize that The Lion King is basically Hamlet with animals!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:49 pm

@BarrytheOnyx wrote:
@CT-1138 wrote:

Well, for example, the questionable age math that goes on. Lumiere says they've been cursed for 10 years, and the prologue says Beast must learn to love by his 21st birthday. So if you do the math, the Beast was only 11 when the hag showed up on the castle's doorstep. And what 11 year old would let some random old lady into their home? This makes the witches' intentions more cruel than disciplinary. In the new movie, they remove mention of this odd math error, and instead imply that the curse has frozen the castle in time. They also remove Chips 10 siblings, which in the animated movie only appear once and then disappear from thought.
Back to top Go down
Oshronosaurus
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:51 am

Wotso addressed that, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgMV9FmRy2A
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:36 am

@CT-1138 wrote:
@BarrytheOnyx wrote:
@CT-1138 wrote:

Well, for example, the questionable age math that goes on. Lumiere says they've been cursed for 10 years, and the prologue says Beast must learn to love by his 21st birthday. So if you do the math, the Beast was only 11 when the hag showed up on the castle's doorstep. And what 11 year old would let some random old lady into their home? This makes the witches' intentions more cruel than disciplinary. In the new movie, they remove mention of this odd math error, and instead imply that the curse has frozen the castle in time. They also remove Chips 10 siblings, which in the animated movie only appear once and then disappear from thought.

All right, here we go:

1) Yes, I actually do believe the curse lasting ten years is not implausible. It wouldn't have cost the Prince anything to admit one wandering vagabond into his castle, and for a test of character it's pretty standard for a fairy tale, especially one with a young protagonist. As a child, he was more liable to make rash decisions because the servants were basically his guardians at that point, who likely did not curb his temper and unkind attitude until it was too late. Plus I kinda like the implication that while the Beast ages, all of his servants remain static including Chip and the other children turned into household objects.

With that said, having the new film state that the castle was frozen in time and the Prince was a young man when he was cursed is an acceptable change. It's not an improvement over the original in my eyes, it's just a differentiation.

2) Maybe it's just me but I never once thought all ten of those tea cups were his brothers and siblings, some of them were and some of them weren't. A castle like that would have had a lot of serving boys and girls, and not necessarily all of them related. And even if that does bother people, it's a minor detail that has no impact on the themes or plot whatsoever. The remake omitting that is a passable change that doesn't particularly bother me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:16 pm

Disney Channel Orders That’s So Raven Spin-Off, Raven’s Home
Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/834215-disney-channel-orders-thats-so-raven-spin-off-ravens-home#Od5X4tkWOYMWW3Ff.99

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:44 am

Michael Keaton May Play the Villain in Tim Burton’s Dumbo
Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/834311-michael-keaton-may-play-the-villain-in-tim-burtons-dumbo#vmJ1sYh3d24mkecL.99

Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:25 am

@Dead2009 wrote:
Michael Keaton May Play the Villain in Tim Burton’s Dumbo
Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/834311-michael-keaton-may-play-the-villain-in-tim-burtons-dumbo#vmJ1sYh3d24mkecL.99

The more I hear about this, the more convinced I am that this could turn out to be a remake in name only, especially with a lot of these made up roles. We've gotten two rival ringmasters (DeVito and Keaton), a trapeze performer (Green), and Colin Farrell in an unspecified role. We also have black father character (formerly Will Smith) who hasn't been cast yet. Burton will no doubt make it "his own thing", and probably not care at all for following the original very faithfully like Kenneth Branagh and Cinderalla. The challenge of translating such a story that really lent itself perfectly to animation, and will probably look too bizarre in live action, will prove to be a bigger hurdle still.

Not a single word of voice actor casting has been made since the first pieces of casting began. The guys at Collider Movie Talk don't seem to remember that there WERE talking animals in Dumbo; Timothy the mouse, the Crows, the Stork, the other elephants, and Mrs Jumbo has her one line. That might not really matter in the long term, but it bugs me that not one of them has considered taking an hour out of their day to watch the film and refresh their collective memory. Especially considering how vital Timothy, the Stork and the Crows are to the story... the latter of whom I fear will be cut from the film due to the racism claims.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Oshronosaurus
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:37 pm

i'd think, if anything, the stork would be omitted since--while he does deliver Dumbo--he's not as important to the core story. i think the crows would probably be left in, just cast/named differently (the most overt thing about them which calls it to mind--which i genuinely believe had no malicious intent behind it--is just that the lead crow is named Jim)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Spinosaurus
Spinosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:51 am

Dwayne Johnson's 'Jungle Cruise' Is a Go at Disney

Between this proposed adaptation of the Disneyland Ride and the upcoming Indiana Jones reboot at Lucasfilm, I wonder if Disney will be able to blance having two jungle adventure franchises under the same roof, with the latter being a much more attractive and more well established franchise.

I enjoy the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, and I like Tomorrowland (while not denying it has its problems), but I've avoided the other theme park ride based movies (like the Eddie Murphy Haunted Mansion movie) on account of their reputation. And I hope this is able to be something different from the Jumanji sequel/reboot/thingy that's coming later this year, but it's timing for a 2018 production start date does indicate that if Jumanji bombs and Dwayne Johnson fatigue kicks in then Disney can easily cancel it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   

Back to top Go down

The Overall Disney Thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next