Don't worry, Ian. I'm not making the same mistakes again! est 2016.
 
HomeMainframeCalendarJurassic Mainframe NewsFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Suggestion for the actual forum

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
thingBreaker
Domain Name Benefactor
Domain Name Benefactor


Posts : 18
Join date : 2016-06-09
Age : 32
Location : Connecticut

PostSubject: Suggestion for the actual forum    Fri 10 Jun 2016 - 10:19

So I understand licenses aren't cheap for forums, but whoever is in charge here needs to make sure that if this forum outgrows it's free abilities (for lack of a better term), that the database can be exported and downloaded so you can migrate it to another host (as opposed to just backing it up to the local server).

Don't take this the wrong way, but a free phpbb forum doesn't actually scream professionalism especially without a top level domain attached to it. Get that settled before people keep migrating over here to minimize disturbances. Register jpuniverse.com or something. I guess you could keep using phpBB, although vBulletin is pretty much the standard.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.thingbreaker.com
Levine
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 480
Join date : 2013-01-13
Age : 17
Location : Texas.

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for the actual forum    Fri 10 Jun 2016 - 10:40

Right now I think we are okay, but we are definitely considering growing and perhaps even purchasing our own domain in the event we get "that big", but for now I think we are good for now.

_______________
Walking  Walking  Walking
Twitter: @jurassifreak
Instagram: @jurassifreak
Facebook: dm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 1036
Join date : 2016-06-09
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for the actual forum    Fri 10 Jun 2016 - 10:49

What Richard said. I think right now this is acting as a haven for us to congregate.

Just to throw this out there.... If we do go down the path of getting big and growing the site. I'd be more than happy to help with a money donations, or some other help. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thingBreaker
Domain Name Benefactor
Domain Name Benefactor


Posts : 18
Join date : 2016-06-09
Age : 32
Location : Connecticut

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for the actual forum    Fri 10 Jun 2016 - 10:55

Seriously though, it's like $12 for a domain name. You can have it redirect to this forum. Let me know which one you want and I'll buy it for you. Then people can just type in that name and even if you eventually host your own forum it'll direct them to the right place....
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.thingbreaker.com
Levine
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 480
Join date : 2013-01-13
Age : 17
Location : Texas.

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for the actual forum    Fri 10 Jun 2016 - 10:57

thingBreaker wrote:
Seriously though, it's like $12 for a domain name. You can have it redirect to this forum. Let me know which one you want and I'll buy it for you. Then people can just type in that name and even if you eventually host your own forum it'll direct them to the right place....

Is this a legitimate offer? PM me privately. I'll talk this over with the staff.

_______________
Walking  Walking  Walking
Twitter: @jurassifreak
Instagram: @jurassifreak
Facebook: dm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 1036
Join date : 2016-06-09
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for the actual forum    Fri 10 Jun 2016 - 11:02

thingBreaker wrote:
So I understand licenses aren't cheap for forums, but whoever is in charge here needs to make sure that if this forum outgrows it's free abilities (for lack of a better term), that the database can be exported and downloaded so you can migrate it to another host (as opposed to just backing it up to the local server).

Don't take this the wrong way, but a free phpbb forum doesn't actually scream professionalism especially without a top level domain attached to it. Get that settled before people keep migrating over here to minimize disturbances. Register jpuniverse.com or something. I guess you could keep using phpBB, although vBulletin is pretty much the standard.

Is vBulletin what JPL used? I loved that. Not familiar at all with web terms.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Levine
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 480
Join date : 2013-01-13
Age : 17
Location : Texas.

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for the actual forum    Fri 10 Jun 2016 - 11:02

Troyal1 wrote:
thingBreaker wrote:
So I understand licenses aren't cheap for forums, but whoever is in charge here needs to make sure that if this forum outgrows it's free abilities (for lack of a better term), that the database can be exported and downloaded so you can migrate it to another host (as opposed to just backing it up to the local server).

Don't take this the wrong way, but a free phpbb forum doesn't actually scream professionalism especially without a top level domain attached to it. Get that settled before people keep migrating over here to minimize disturbances. Register jpuniverse.com or something. I guess you could keep using phpBB, although vBulletin is pretty much the standard.

Is vBulletin what JPL used? I loved that. Not familiar at all with web terms.

Yeah, vBulletin is the forum host for JPL, along with GoDaddy.

_______________
Walking  Walking  Walking
Twitter: @jurassifreak
Instagram: @jurassifreak
Facebook: dm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 1036
Join date : 2016-06-09
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for the actual forum    Fri 10 Jun 2016 - 11:04

If love to see it make a return if possible. Not to copy or anything, but I found it extremely useful to use. Just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Levine
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 480
Join date : 2013-01-13
Age : 17
Location : Texas.

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for the actual forum    Fri 10 Jun 2016 - 11:24

I asked Ty, and he said that it cost 30-40 dollars every couple years (he couldnt afford month to month). Could work, if we get backers.

_______________
Walking  Walking  Walking
Twitter: @jurassifreak
Instagram: @jurassifreak
Facebook: dm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 1036
Join date : 2016-06-09
Age : 23

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for the actual forum    Fri 10 Jun 2016 - 12:21

Consider me a potential backer if we get to that point. Also god bless you guys who made this. I mean that. I really do
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 2952
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for the actual forum    Sun 12 Jun 2016 - 0:21

Would it be possible to send money via normal mail instead of via online? Right now, I'm kind of paranoid about making a Pay Pal account and having hackers steal all my money.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 1226
Join date : 2016-06-08
Location : Maryland

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for the actual forum    Sun 12 Jun 2016 - 0:30

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Would it be possible to send money via normal mail instead of via online? Right now, I'm kind of paranoid about making a Pay Pal account and having hackers steal all my money.

The chances of someone stealing your money through the postal service is a lot higher than it would be if you sent it through PayPal.

_______________
Last Movie Watched: The Houses October Built 2 (2017).
Last TV Show Watched: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (S3:E2).
Last Video Game Played: WWE 2K17 (PS4).
http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 2952
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for the actual forum    Sun 12 Jun 2016 - 0:40

Dead2009 wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
Would it be possible to send money via normal mail instead of via online? Right now, I'm kind of paranoid about making a Pay Pal account and having hackers steal all my money.

The chances of someone stealing your money through the postal service is a lot higher than it would be if you sent it through PayPal.

I don't doubt that, but at least I know the postal service won't steal all my money in one big blow like hacker can. So at least I have that knowledge.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
GwrChurchward
Embryo
Embryo


Posts : 46
Join date : 2016-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for the actual forum    Mon 13 Jun 2016 - 5:25

I will support this, but will it work?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 1226
Join date : 2016-06-08
Location : Maryland

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for the actual forum    Mon 13 Jun 2016 - 6:08

GwrChurchward wrote:
I will support this, but will it work?

If youre asking if sending money for the domain will work, it's already been done!  cheers

_______________
Last Movie Watched: The Houses October Built 2 (2017).
Last TV Show Watched: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (S3:E2).
Last Video Game Played: WWE 2K17 (PS4).
http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tigris115
Hatchling
Hatchling
avatar

Posts : 93
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 21
Location : Nassau, NY

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for the actual forum    Fri 24 Jun 2016 - 8:15

I definetly think the look of the forum itself needs a spit

The dinosaur encyclopedia thread needs to be updated after JW

And here's a novel idea- an international section
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Levine
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 480
Join date : 2013-01-13
Age : 17
Location : Texas.

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for the actual forum    Fri 24 Jun 2016 - 8:18

@tigris115

What do you mean by "spit"? Like a new look? Because we are definetely always looking into how we can look better.

And do you mean the Dinosaur Fact Files at the very top? Sure, we can update those.

And what do you mean by an "international" section?

_______________
Walking  Walking  Walking
Twitter: @jurassifreak
Instagram: @jurassifreak
Facebook: dm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tigris115
Hatchling
Hatchling
avatar

Posts : 93
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 21
Location : Nassau, NY

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for the actual forum    Fri 24 Jun 2016 - 9:19

Richard Levine wrote:
@tigris115

What do you mean by "spit"? Like a new look? Because we are definetely always looking into how we can look better.

And do you mean the Dinosaur Fact Files at the very top? Sure, we can update those.

And what do you mean by an "international" section?

I meant a place where people who speak languages other than English can meet
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Levine
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 480
Join date : 2013-01-13
Age : 17
Location : Texas.

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for the actual forum    Fri 24 Jun 2016 - 9:50

We will consider it to determine it's viability.

Also, I looked into potentially "moving hosts" to a better server and it is unfortunately impossible. Apparently the data for the forum is locked in some kind of "Forumotion database" which we arent allowed to access, so even if we could transfer we cant. Sad

_______________
Walking  Walking  Walking
Twitter: @jurassifreak
Instagram: @jurassifreak
Facebook: dm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for the actual forum    

Back to top Go down
 
Suggestion for the actual forum
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Suggestion for a new forum category - Photo/vid requests and offers
» Mai-Multiverse Forum: Regeln und Richtlinien DEUTSCH
» Kara's Mai-Multiverse Forum Banner
» Classic Dynaco speaker forum - link
» New to the forum, Proud owner of a 94 Caprice

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Jurassic Mainframe Forums :: The Innovation Center :: Help Desk-
Jump to: