Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

News thread.

Go down 
+28
Troyal1
CT-1138
Theta Rex
Rhedosaurus
BarrytheOnyx
The Geeky Zoologist
Minmi
Océane
V.a.nublarensis
JPMalcolmDilo
Lord Kristine
TRK/TrexKing
Spinosaur4.4
smaugtheterrible
Scott B
CloneTrooper101
Levine
MissDNA
Spiegel
tigris115
Mysterious Hero M
Caudipteryx
Paleoman
Katana
Baryonyx111
TheDreamMaster
Dead2009
Darth Spidey
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15 ... 22  Next
AuthorMessage

News thread. - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: News thread.   News thread. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 3:02 pm

Sweden returns to conscription
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39140100

We at Finland never stopped conscription  (something I never agreed with but whatever), but it's still voluntary for women unlike at Sweden now. However, it looks like Sweden won't still actually force everyone to go, but it's more like Norway where only selected groups are thrown to army camps. So all in all, even though it's technically conscription for men and women, it's not absolute as Finland and some other countries

It's kind of sad to see the slow return of mandatory army services in Europe after a period when they were slowly abolished few years ago.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   News thread. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 6:37 pm

It's not really surprising with the resurgence of Russia under Putin via the actions he took via Georgia and the Ukraine. The Baltic Nations have every reason to this. Even more so considering Russia's aggression and threat level to them since the Stalin era. Surely you know of how he tried to conquer Finland twice.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   News thread. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 7:43 pm

No, I most definitely do not know of a subject that's been taught to death in school and drilled to brain of every citizen, as well as having grandparents injured in them...

Times have changed however. Conventional armies in Europe are more like a public image of strength than actual workable defense grid nowadays, at least outside NATO barrier.

In any case, it is still sad to see conscription to have been reinstated so widely, whether or not one agrees with it's intentions. Would you like to endure through it if you lived in country with it?

As I personally went through 12 month civilian service, I'm not part of the actual reserve forces, however if hypothetical war did occur I would still have to serve in some sort of unspecified civilian aid job. Not that I think it will ever come to it, Finland (or Sweden for that matter) isn't exactly former Soviet satellite country like Ukraine or whatever, and also it's more tied to West even without NATO
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   News thread. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 8:23 pm

Mistral wrote:
No, I most definitely do not know of a subject that's been taught to death in school and drilled to brain of every citizen, as well as having grandparents injured in them...

Times have changed however. Conventional armies in Europe are more like a public image of strength than actual workable defense grid nowadays, at least outside NATO barrier.

In any case, it is still sad to see conscription to have been reinstated so widely, whether or not one agrees with it's intentions. Would you like to endure through it if you lived in country with it?

As I personally went through 12 month civilian service, I'm not part of the actual reserve forces, however if hypothetical war did occur I would still have to serve in some sort of unspecified civilian aid job. Not that I think it will ever come to it, Finland (or Sweden for that matter) isn't exactly former Soviet satellite country like Ukraine or whatever, and also it's more tied to West even without NATO

Times change, but dreams and memories don't, at least not very easily. Ever since the end of the Cold War, the Russian people have dreamed of a return of the Russian Empire, which is what they saw the Soviet Union as after the WW2. Needless to say, Putin is clearly one of those people. And it doesn't necessarily require military force. That one pipeline is a good example.

I'm not saying that conscription is fun by any means. I sure don't want any country to have it since there are certain drawbacks. McNamera found that out the hard way. What I am saying is that given how many countries border on a Russia that's been more aggressive since 2008, this was sadly inevitable.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   News thread. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 8:38 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Mistral wrote:

Times change, but dreams and memories don't, at least not very easily. Ever since the end of the Cold War, the Russian people have dreamed of a return of the Russian Empire, which is what they saw the Soviet Union as after the WW2. Needless to say, Putin is clearly one of those people. And it doesn't necessarily require military force. That one pipeline is a good example.

I'm not saying that conscription is fun by any means. I sure don't want any country to have it since there are certain drawbacks. McNamera found that out the hard way. What I am saying is that given how many countries border on a Russia that's been more aggressive since 2008, this was sadly inevitable.

The top people in power might dream of Empires, but I don't think vast majority of the normal Russian people do, just like normal Turks don't dream of the return of the Ottoman Empire.

I see the "point" in conscription in majority of the former Soviet satellite states, even if I don't like it, because the likelihood of tricks is infinitely more likely there, as is lack of direct Western aid. But I think when it comes to Nordic and non-Eastern European countries the discussion should be different, and conscription abolished. Voluntary professional army should be sufficient enough in my book, as their primary job is to hold image anyway. And no I don't think NATO is the answer either, because that will just complicate ties to East further. But the question of NATO is eternal should we or should we not here.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   News thread. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 9:14 pm

Mistral wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
Mistral wrote:

The top people in power might dream of Empires, but I don't think vast majority of the normal Russian people do, just like normal Turks don't dream of the return of the Ottoman Empire.

I see the "point" in conscription in majority of the former Soviet satellite states, even if I don't like it, because the likelihood of tricks is infinitely more likely there, as is lack of direct Western aid. But I think when it comes to Nordic and non-Eastern European countries the discussion should be different, and conscription abolished. Voluntary professional army should be sufficient enough in my book, as their primary job is to hold image anyway. And no I don't think NATO is the answer either, because that will just complicate ties to East further. But the question of NATO is eternal should we or should we not here.

Putin's high popularity in his country says otherwise. He wouldn't be so popular unless the Russian people see something in him, believe in him, shares his vision. Some countries are more nostalgic of 'The good ol' days' then others. Russia is one of them. Russian people still very deep roots of their Motherland since Peter The Great, or at least since how they beat back Napoleon.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   News thread. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 02, 2017 9:25 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Mistral wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
Mistral wrote:

Putin's high popularity in his country says otherwise. He wouldn't be so popular unless the Russian people see something in him, believe in him, shares his vision. Some countries are more nostalgic of 'The good ol' days' then others. Russia is one of them. Russian people still very deep roots of their Motherland since Peter The Great, or at least since how they beat back Napoleon.

I wouldn't necessarily trust ratings given to effectively "president for life", but in any case, certain level of nationalism and want to get economy back to rails after the abyss of Soviet collapse isn't automatically indication that people want imperial dominance back.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   News thread. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 06, 2017 11:57 pm

It looks like the E.U. is considering it's own nuclear deterrent using the nukes France has as a backbone.

This is due to how Britain, which was the first Western European country the have nukes, pulled out of the E.U. and how Trump, and many on the right, want Europe to pull more military weight then it has done in the past. The problem is that this is all assuming that the E.U. lasts much longer. I can see Western European nations develop their own atomic weapons program, but under E.U. rule. That entity is dying. It's only a matter of time,10-12 years or so, before it implodes.

Back to top Go down
Minmi
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
Minmi

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   News thread. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 07, 2017 3:46 am

Has anyone here heard what happened at Queensland's "DreamWorld" theme park last October? If you didn't, the 'Thunder River Rapids' ride has been permanently closed after a malfunction caused the deaths of four riders.

Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   News thread. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 07, 2017 6:11 pm

WikiLeaks has released 8,378 pages of files from the CIA.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   News thread. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 09, 2017 5:45 pm

This is cool.

A rabbit hole winded up leading to a 700 year old cave network made by the Knights Templar.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   News thread. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 11, 2017 7:02 pm

The Clovis people, very early Native American people, died out 12,800 years ago due to a meteorite.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   News thread. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 14, 2017 8:57 pm

Adobe's San Jose semaphore has been decoded to be Neil Armstrong's words from when he landed on the moon.

Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   News thread. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 22, 2017 6:23 pm

I'm safe where I am in Wales, but my brother was alarmingly close to the incident. He's safe, thank God, but damn it if I wasn't scared for a while.

London attack: What we know so far

News thread. - Page 9 Dinosa12
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   News thread. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 22, 2017 7:51 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
I'm safe where I am in Wales, but my brother was alarmingly close to the incident. He's safe, thank God, but damn it if I wasn't scared for a while.

London attack: What we know so far

I'm really glad your brother is safe. I saw that when I got home. I first thought that it was a drunk driver, but I soon learned quickly otherwise.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   News thread. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 23, 2017 3:23 pm

WHOA! A coded 4Chan post warned of the Westminster attack the day before it happened.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   News thread. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 27, 2017 3:05 pm

Russia has made a hypersonic missile, the Zircon, that has a top speed of 4,600 mph.

Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   News thread. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 27, 2017 5:11 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Russia has made a hypersonic missile, the Zircon, that has a top speed of 4,600 mph.

Considering our recent relations with Russia, and the uncertainty of what exactly is going on politically, that's a scary thing.

"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   News thread. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 27, 2017 5:20 pm

TheDreamMaster wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

Considering our recent relations with Russia, and the uncertainty of what exactly is going on politically, that's a scary thing.

Lets hope none of us live to see such a missile deployed on land. My Dad told me stories of living in fear during the 50s and 60s, with the Cold War and the hanging threat of destruction. At this rate, who can't say that such times are not coming again.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   News thread. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 27, 2017 5:39 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
TheDreamMaster wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

Lets hope none of us live to see such a missile deployed on land. My Dad told me stories of living in fear during the 50s and 60s, with the Cold War and the hanging threat of destruction. At this rate, who can't say that such times are not coming again.

In many ways, things are more dangerous. We have North Korea which has alienated both it's closest allies, Russia and China, so who knows what they'll do. And then we have the possibility of Iran, one of the main sources of terrorism, having an atomic weapons program since the 1990's. Not only that, but we have the possibility of Saudi Arabia starting an atomic weapons program. If Iran has an atomic weapons program, then the whole Middle East risks the true rise of an Islamic Persian Empire.

The hypersonic missile reminds me of how in Metal Gear Solid, how Metal Gear Rex could fire undetectable stealth nukes from its railgun. I guess the old saying is true. Life really does imitate art.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   News thread. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2017 1:57 pm

The body of a missing 25 year old man was found in the stomach of a 23 ft long reticulated python.

Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   News thread. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2017 5:16 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
The body of a missing 25 year old man was found in the stomach of a 23 ft long reticulated python.

Christ... that's like something out of a nightmare. Now imagine Titanoboa doing that...

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   News thread. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2017 5:29 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

Christ... that's like something out of a nightmare. Now imagine Titanoboa doing that...

Something like that happened a few years ago. A python killed a man and tried to eat him and a police sergeant took a picture. The guys head was in the mouth but he spit it out and tried to flee, but was killed by the sergeant and a force of some men. Some people don't think it was able to eat the guy since he was laying on his belly and the snake's mouth couldn't get past the shoulders, but the sergeant said it could have done so since an autospy showed that the guys bones were crushed quite badly.

Here's the photo that he took.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   News thread. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 01, 2017 10:07 pm

It looks like the M1 Abrams tank isn't the undisputed best tank in world anymore. Many others have now caught up after at least 27 years of dominance against other tanks on the battlefield.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   News thread. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 02, 2017 11:16 am

The Tasmanian Wolf/Tiger also known as the thylacine, has been spotted.

Given how a very rare/thought to be extinct night parrot was photographed not long ago, then I'm really hoping that the thylacine didn't go extinct.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   News thread. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 02, 2017 12:27 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
The Tasmanian Wolf/Tiger also known as the thylacine, has been spotted.

Given how a very rare/thought to be extinct night parrot was photographed not long ago, then I'm really hoping that the thylacine didn't go extinct.

Supposedly

Allegedly

Reportedly

The holy trinity of -dly.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   News thread. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 02, 2017 3:41 pm

Super colonies of ants in Africa lead scientists to brace for global invasion.

In other words, it's like that scene from the movie THEM! where the one scientist warns of how the giant ants might be the dominant species if they aren't killed off, but these ants being normal sized.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   News thread. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 04, 2017 8:51 pm

Chemical attack in Syria kills dozens.

Update: It's most likely-90%-sarin gas.

You know, the Syrian Civil War reminds me a lot like the Spanish Civil War. You really can't root for anybody (the anti-Franco forces were just as bad, if not slightly worse) the country is destroyed, and and it's being turned into a lab room for weapons for major powers.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   News thread. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 05, 2017 1:00 pm

I still don't understand what Syria and Russia expect to gain with chemical weapon usage, as in strictly from their point of view. They must know everybody keeps pointing fingers at them, and it's not like those weapons are gonna obliterate the "opposition" anyway, only fracture it further. What do they believe to gain by this? Guess they are relying on UN security council doing absolutely nothing again... admittedly, they are pretty useless
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   News thread. - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 05, 2017 4:54 pm

Mistral wrote:
Guess they are relying on UN security council doing absolutely nothing again... admittedly, they are pretty useless

Basically this. If the U.N. was useless for the Rwandan genocide, then it's hard to see how they can be of any use here. In all honestly, it should have been disbanded some time ago.

Last edited by Rhedosaurus on Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   News thread. - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

News thread.
Page 8 of 22Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15 ... 22  Next