Don't worry, Ian. I'm not making the same mistakes again! est 2016.
 
HomeMainframeCalendarJurassic Mainframe NewsFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 News thread.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:02 pm

Sweden returns to conscription
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39140100

We at Finland never stopped conscription  (something I never agreed with but whatever), but it's still voluntary for women unlike at Sweden now. However, it looks like Sweden won't still actually force everyone to go, but it's more like Norway where only selected groups are thrown to army camps. So all in all, even though it's technically conscription for men and women, it's not absolute as Finland and some other countries

It's kind of sad to see the slow return of mandatory army services in Europe after a period when they were slowly abolished few years ago.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 2949
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:37 pm

It's not really surprising with the resurgence of Russia under Putin via the actions he took via Georgia and the Ukraine. The Baltic Nations have every reason to this. Even more so considering Russia's aggression and threat level to them since the Stalin era. Surely you know of how he tried to conquer Finland twice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:43 pm

No, I most definitely do not know of a subject that's been taught to death in school and drilled to brain of every citizen, as well as having grandparents injured in them...

Times have changed however. Conventional armies in Europe are more like a public image of strength than actual workable defense grid nowadays, at least outside NATO barrier.

In any case, it is still sad to see conscription to have been reinstated so widely, whether or not one agrees with it's intentions. Would you like to endure through it if you lived in country with it?

As I personally went through 12 month civilian service, I'm not part of the actual reserve forces, however if hypothetical war did occur I would still have to serve in some sort of unspecified civilian aid job. Not that I think it will ever come to it, Finland (or Sweden for that matter) isn't exactly former Soviet satellite country like Ukraine or whatever, and also it's more tied to West even without NATO
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 2949
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:23 pm

Mistral wrote:
No, I most definitely do not know of a subject that's been taught to death in school and drilled to brain of every citizen, as well as having grandparents injured in them...

Times have changed however. Conventional armies in Europe are more like a public image of strength than actual workable defense grid nowadays, at least outside NATO barrier.

In any case, it is still sad to see conscription to have been reinstated so widely, whether or not one agrees with it's intentions. Would you like to endure through it if you lived in country with it?

As I personally went through 12 month civilian service, I'm not part of the actual reserve forces, however if hypothetical war did occur I would still have to serve in some sort of unspecified civilian aid job. Not that I think it will ever come to it, Finland (or Sweden for that matter) isn't exactly former Soviet satellite country like Ukraine or whatever, and also it's more tied to West even without NATO

Times change, but dreams and memories don't, at least not very easily. Ever since the end of the Cold War, the Russian people have dreamed of a return of the Russian Empire, which is what they saw the Soviet Union as after the WW2. Needless to say, Putin is clearly one of those people. And it doesn't necessarily require military force. That one pipeline is a good example.

I'm not saying that conscription is fun by any means. I sure don't want any country to have it since there are certain drawbacks. McNamera found that out the hard way. What I am saying is that given how many countries border on a Russia that's been more aggressive since 2008, this was sadly inevitable.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:38 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Mistral wrote:
No, I most definitely do not know of a subject that's been taught to death in school and drilled to brain of every citizen, as well as having grandparents injured in them...

Times have changed however. Conventional armies in Europe are more like a public image of strength than actual workable defense grid nowadays, at least outside NATO barrier.

In any case, it is still sad to see conscription to have been reinstated so widely, whether or not one agrees with it's intentions. Would you like to endure through it if you lived in country with it?

As I personally went through 12 month civilian service, I'm not part of the actual reserve forces, however if hypothetical war did occur I would still have to serve in some sort of unspecified civilian aid job. Not that I think it will ever come to it, Finland (or Sweden for that matter) isn't exactly former Soviet satellite country like Ukraine or whatever, and also it's more tied to West even without NATO

Times change, but dreams and memories don't, at least not very easily. Ever since the end of the Cold War, the Russian people have dreamed of a return of the Russian Empire, which is what they saw the Soviet Union as after the WW2. Needless to say, Putin is clearly one of those people. And it doesn't necessarily require military force. That one pipeline is a good example.

I'm not saying that conscription is fun by any means. I sure don't want any country to have it since there are certain drawbacks. McNamera found that out the hard way. What I am saying is that given how many countries border on a Russia that's been more aggressive since 2008, this was sadly inevitable.

The top people in power might dream of Empires, but I don't think vast majority of the normal Russian people do, just like normal Turks don't dream of the return of the Ottoman Empire.

I see the "point" in conscription in majority of the former Soviet satellite states, even if I don't like it, because the likelihood of tricks is infinitely more likely there, as is lack of direct Western aid. But I think when it comes to Nordic and non-Eastern European countries the discussion should be different, and conscription abolished. Voluntary professional army should be sufficient enough in my book, as their primary job is to hold image anyway. And no I don't think NATO is the answer either, because that will just complicate ties to East further. But the question of NATO is eternal should we or should we not here.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 2949
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:14 pm

Mistral wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
Mistral wrote:
No, I most definitely do not know of a subject that's been taught to death in school and drilled to brain of every citizen, as well as having grandparents injured in them...

Times have changed however. Conventional armies in Europe are more like a public image of strength than actual workable defense grid nowadays, at least outside NATO barrier.

In any case, it is still sad to see conscription to have been reinstated so widely, whether or not one agrees with it's intentions. Would you like to endure through it if you lived in country with it?

As I personally went through 12 month civilian service, I'm not part of the actual reserve forces, however if hypothetical war did occur I would still have to serve in some sort of unspecified civilian aid job. Not that I think it will ever come to it, Finland (or Sweden for that matter) isn't exactly former Soviet satellite country like Ukraine or whatever, and also it's more tied to West even without NATO

Times change, but dreams and memories don't, at least not very easily. Ever since the end of the Cold War, the Russian people have dreamed of a return of the Russian Empire, which is what they saw the Soviet Union as after the WW2. Needless to say, Putin is clearly one of those people. And it doesn't necessarily require military force. That one pipeline is a good example.

I'm not saying that conscription is fun by any means. I sure don't want any country to have it since there are certain drawbacks. McNamera found that out the hard way. What I am saying is that given how many countries border on a Russia that's been more aggressive since 2008, this was sadly inevitable.

The top people in power might dream of Empires, but I don't think vast majority of the normal Russian people do, just like normal Turks don't dream of the return of the Ottoman Empire.

I see the "point" in conscription in majority of the former Soviet satellite states, even if I don't like it, because the likelihood of tricks is infinitely more likely there, as is lack of direct Western aid. But I think when it comes to Nordic and non-Eastern European countries the discussion should be different, and conscription abolished. Voluntary professional army should be sufficient enough in my book, as their primary job is to hold image anyway. And no I don't think NATO is the answer either, because that will just complicate ties to East further. But the question of NATO is eternal should we or should we not here.

Putin's high popularity in his country says otherwise. He wouldn't be so popular unless the Russian people see something in him, believe in him, shares his vision. Some countries are more nostalgic of 'The good ol' days' then others. Russia is one of them. Russian people still very deep roots of their Motherland since Peter The Great, or at least since how they beat back Napoleon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:25 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Mistral wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
Mistral wrote:
No, I most definitely do not know of a subject that's been taught to death in school and drilled to brain of every citizen, as well as having grandparents injured in them...

Times have changed however. Conventional armies in Europe are more like a public image of strength than actual workable defense grid nowadays, at least outside NATO barrier.

In any case, it is still sad to see conscription to have been reinstated so widely, whether or not one agrees with it's intentions. Would you like to endure through it if you lived in country with it?

As I personally went through 12 month civilian service, I'm not part of the actual reserve forces, however if hypothetical war did occur I would still have to serve in some sort of unspecified civilian aid job. Not that I think it will ever come to it, Finland (or Sweden for that matter) isn't exactly former Soviet satellite country like Ukraine or whatever, and also it's more tied to West even without NATO

Times change, but dreams and memories don't, at least not very easily. Ever since the end of the Cold War, the Russian people have dreamed of a return of the Russian Empire, which is what they saw the Soviet Union as after the WW2. Needless to say, Putin is clearly one of those people. And it doesn't necessarily require military force. That one pipeline is a good example.

I'm not saying that conscription is fun by any means. I sure don't want any country to have it since there are certain drawbacks. McNamera found that out the hard way. What I am saying is that given how many countries border on a Russia that's been more aggressive since 2008, this was sadly inevitable.

The top people in power might dream of Empires, but I don't think vast majority of the normal Russian people do, just like normal Turks don't dream of the return of the Ottoman Empire.

I see the "point" in conscription in majority of the former Soviet satellite states, even if I don't like it, because the likelihood of tricks is infinitely more likely there, as is lack of direct Western aid. But I think when it comes to Nordic and non-Eastern European countries the discussion should be different, and conscription abolished. Voluntary professional army should be sufficient enough in my book, as their primary job is to hold image anyway. And no I don't think NATO is the answer either, because that will just complicate ties to East further. But the question of NATO is eternal should we or should we not here.

Putin's high popularity in his country says otherwise. He wouldn't be so popular unless the Russian people see something in him, believe in him, shares his vision. Some countries are more nostalgic of 'The good ol' days' then others. Russia is one of them. Russian people still very deep roots of their Motherland since Peter The Great, or at least since how they beat back Napoleon.

I wouldn't necessarily trust ratings given to effectively "president for life", but in any case, certain level of nationalism and want to get economy back to rails after the abyss of Soviet collapse isn't automatically indication that people want imperial dominance back.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 2949
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:57 pm

It looks like the E.U. is considering it's own nuclear deterrent using the nukes France has as a backbone.

This is due to how Britain, which was the first Western European country the have nukes, pulled out of the E.U. and how Trump, and many on the right, want Europe to pull more military weight then it has done in the past. The problem is that this is all assuming that the E.U. lasts much longer. I can see Western European nations develop their own atomic weapons program, but under E.U. rule. That entity is dying. It's only a matter of time,10-12 years or so, before it implodes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Minmi
Hatchling
Hatchling


Posts : 88
Join date : 2017-01-16
Location : Waterfall City, Dinotopia

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:46 am

Has anyone here heard what happened at Queensland's "DreamWorld" theme park last October? If you didn't, the 'Thunder River Rapids' ride has been permanently closed after a malfunction caused the deaths of four riders.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 2949
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:11 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 2949
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:45 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 2949
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:02 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 2949
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:57 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 912
Join date : 2016-06-17
Age : 25
Location : Stratford Upon Avon, England

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:23 pm

I'm safe where I am in Wales, but my brother was alarmingly close to the incident. He's safe, thank God, but damn it if I wasn't scared for a while.

London attack: What we know so far
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 2949
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:51 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
I'm safe where I am in Wales, but my brother was alarmingly close to the incident. He's safe, thank God, but damn it if I wasn't scared for a while.

London attack: What we know so far

I'm really glad your brother is safe. I saw that when I got home. I first thought that it was a drunk driver, but I soon learned quickly otherwise.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 2949
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:23 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 2949
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:05 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 749
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 28
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:11 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Russia has made a hypersonic missile, the Zircon, that has a top speed of 4,600 mph.

Considering our recent relations with Russia, and the uncertainty of what exactly is going on politically, that's a scary thing.

_______________
Make the Sayles JP IV script into an animated series! Admit it, you'd watch it.
 
"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 912
Join date : 2016-06-17
Age : 25
Location : Stratford Upon Avon, England

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:20 pm

TheDreamMaster wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
Russia has made a hypersonic missile, the Zircon, that has a top speed of 4,600 mph.

Considering our recent relations with Russia, and the uncertainty of what exactly is going on politically, that's a scary thing.

Lets hope none of us live to see such a missile deployed on land. My Dad told me stories of living in fear during the 50s and 60s, with the Cold War and the hanging threat of destruction. At this rate, who can't say that such times are not coming again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 2949
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:39 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
TheDreamMaster wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
Russia has made a hypersonic missile, the Zircon, that has a top speed of 4,600 mph.

Considering our recent relations with Russia, and the uncertainty of what exactly is going on politically, that's a scary thing.

Lets hope none of us live to see such a missile deployed on land. My Dad told me stories of living in fear during the 50s and 60s, with the Cold War and the hanging threat of destruction. At this rate, who can't say that such times are not coming again.

In many ways, things are more dangerous. We have North Korea which has alienated both it's closest allies, Russia and China, so who knows what they'll do. And then we have the possibility of Iran, one of the main sources of terrorism, having an atomic weapons program since the 1990's. Not only that, but we have the possibility of Saudi Arabia starting an atomic weapons program. If Iran has an atomic weapons program, then the whole Middle East risks the true rise of an Islamic Persian Empire.

The hypersonic missile reminds me of how in Metal Gear Solid, how Metal Gear Rex could fire undetectable stealth nukes from its railgun. I guess the old saying is true. Life really does imitate art.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 2949
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:57 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 912
Join date : 2016-06-17
Age : 25
Location : Stratford Upon Avon, England

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:16 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
The body of a missing 25 year old man was found in the stomach of a 23 ft long reticulated python.

Christ... that's like something out of a nightmare. Now imagine Titanoboa doing that...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 2949
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:29 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
The body of a missing 25 year old man was found in the stomach of a 23 ft long reticulated python.

Christ... that's like something out of a nightmare. Now imagine Titanoboa doing that...

Something like that happened a few years ago. A python killed a man and tried to eat him and a police sergeant took a picture. The guys head was in the mouth but he spit it out and tried to flee, but was killed by the sergeant and a force of some men. Some people don't think it was able to eat the guy since he was laying on his belly and the snake's mouth couldn't get past the shoulders, but the sergeant said it could have done so since an autospy showed that the guys bones were crushed quite badly.

Here's the photo that he took.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 2949
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:07 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 2949
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:16 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:27 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
The Tasmanian Wolf/Tiger also known as the thylacine, has been spotted.

Given how a very rare/thought to be extinct night parrot was photographed not long ago, then I'm really hoping that the thylacine didn't go extinct.

Supposedly

Allegedly

Reportedly

The holy trinity of -dly.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 2949
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:41 pm

Super colonies of ants in Africa lead scientists to brace for global invasion.

In other words, it's like that scene from the movie THEM! where the one scientist warns of how the giant ants might be the dominant species if they aren't killed off, but these ants being normal sized.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 2949
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:51 pm

Chemical attack in Syria kills dozens.

Update: It's most likely-90%-sarin gas.

You know, the Syrian Civil War reminds me a lot like the Spanish Civil War. You really can't root for anybody (the anti-Franco forces were just as bad, if not slightly worse) the country is destroyed, and and it's being turned into a lab room for weapons for major powers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:00 pm

I still don't understand what Syria and Russia expect to gain with chemical weapon usage, as in strictly from their point of view. They must know everybody keeps pointing fingers at them, and it's not like those weapons are gonna obliterate the "opposition" anyway, only fracture it further. What do they believe to gain by this? Guess they are relying on UN security council doing absolutely nothing again... admittedly, they are pretty useless
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 2949
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:54 pm

Mistral wrote:
Guess they are relying on UN security council doing absolutely nothing again... admittedly, they are pretty useless

Basically this. If the U.N. was useless for the Rwandan genocide, then it's hard to see how they can be of any use here. In all honestly, it should have been disbanded some time ago.


Last edited by Rhedosaurus on Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:59 pm

It's sad when you can't really put pressure to anything without military behind, but it is what it is

This is pretty funny - Canadian couple wins lottery for the third time
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39462225

1989 - C$128,000 (shared by four)
2010 - C$100,000
2017 - C$8,200,000
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 2949
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:09 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 2949
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:04 pm

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, the 2 term president of Iran is running for a third term.

You know, I get the the Ayatollah and the military are the one's that mainly run the country, but does anybody else in the world want this guy back in world affairs?
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:51 pm

Last person officially confirmed to have been born in the 19th century dies
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39610937
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 2949
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:07 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Minmi
Hatchling
Hatchling


Posts : 88
Join date : 2017-01-16
Location : Waterfall City, Dinotopia

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:24 pm

Taiwan has become the first Asian country to ban the sale and consumption of dog and cat meat. Offenders can now be fined anywhere between $50,000 and $2,000,000 and possibly end up spending a year or two in prison.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 2949
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:41 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 2949
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:37 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:42 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
The infamous Man-eating lions of Tsavo attacked humans due to poor dental health.

Thinkingsideways did episode of it last year, check out the podcast if you want. I don't remember exactly if the tooth thing was even considered (injuries were nevertheless) but it was an interesting episode.
http://thinkingsidewayspodcast.com/the-tsavo-man-eaters/

They're great bunch of guys and gals, and must-listen if you're into that sort of stuff.

My favorite mystery of all time is the tragic and utterly horrifying Kremers/Froon "disappearance" at Panama few years ago, and they have episode for that as well.
http://thinkingsidewayspodcast.com/lisanne-froon-and-kris-kremers/
Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 1223
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Maryland

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:03 pm

Fox News canned Bill O'Reilly this week...and I couldnt think of a better person for that to happen to.

_______________
Last Movie Watched: The Houses October Built 2 (2017).
Last TV Show Watched: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (S3:E2).
Last Video Game Played: WWE 2K17 (PS4).
http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:08 pm

Alec Baldwin's recent impersonation of him in SNL was genius. The sketch itself was bland and generic but the performance was on bar with his Trump one.

Now admittedly, I have never seen a single second of real O'Reilly talking on screen so I don't know if it was any accurate, but he seemed to be having fun and the speech patterns were great.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 2949
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:36 pm

Dead2009 wrote:
Fox News canned Bill O'Reilly this week...and I couldnt think of a better person for that to happen to.

I've heard that Sean Hannity is next. TBH. I think that all of this is just a big witch-hunt. At least one of the accusers has flip-flopped on her past statements that defended him.

Not only that, but if all this sexual harassment really was going on at FNC since the mid-2000's, then why didn't all these woman speak out then? Why now? And don't tell me job insecurity. If they'd spill the beans then, then all of the other news channels would have done everything they could have to get those people, just to spite Fox. Sorry, but this isn't like little kids being abused by crappy parents/priests or something like that. These are adults who have/had the power to stop all this when it was starting but chose not to do so.

Call me crazy, but I just think that this is all about Donald Trump in end.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
avatar

Posts : 749
Join date : 2016-06-07
Age : 28
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:01 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Dead2009 wrote:
Fox News canned Bill O'Reilly this week...and I couldnt think of a better person for that to happen to.

I've heard that Sean Hannity is next. TBH. I think that all of this is just a big witch-hunt. At least one of the accusers has flip-flopped on her past statements that defended him.

Not only that, but if all this sexual harassment really was going on at FNC since the mid-2000's, then why didn't all these woman speak out then? Why now? And don't tell me job insecurity. If they'd spill the beans then, then all of the other news channels would have done everything they could have to get those people, just to spite Fox. Sorry, but this isn't like little kids being abused by crappy parents/priests or something like that. These are adults who have/had the power to stop all this when it was starting but chose not to do so.

Call me crazy, but I just think that this is all about Donald Trump in end.

I don't want to get into politics again, but I will say this: trump's administration has really concerned me. I wasn't a supporter to begin with, but all these media witch hunts, the outright lies the administration is constantly caught in, the sudden allegations of Russian spying (which I'm not saying wasn't happening before, but it's really blown up to the point it can't be ignored), and the questionable moves he's making regarding his military attacks, have me very worried about the future. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, I don't believe Sandy Hook was a fake to regulate guns, and I think there's less to 9/11 than those truthers want you to believe, but I've always assumed the government hides things and does things behind our backs. The problem here is you can't get the truth about anything right now, and it's kind of scary.

_______________
Make the Sayles JP IV script into an animated series! Admit it, you'd watch it.
 
"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CT-1138
Dinosaur Fact File Curator
Dinosaur Fact File Curator
avatar

Posts : 617
Join date : 2012-04-06
Age : 24
Location : Chicago

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:55 pm

O'Reilly was an immoral, spineless, sadistic pig who would attack anybody if they didn't agree with him. He attacked veterans, children, pregnant mothers. He was merciless, and the only insult to his firing was that he was given $25 mil to leave!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://abekowalski.deviantart.com/
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 2949
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:59 pm

CT-1138 wrote:
O'Reilly was an immoral, spineless, sadistic pig who would attack anybody if they didn't agree with him. He attacked veterans, children, pregnant mothers.

I remember watching him from 2003-2009 and I have no memory of him doing so. Not only that, but he also pushed for Jessica's Law all over America and pushed for a modern day G.I. bill. Yes, I've heard rumors of him being nasty to many of his co-workers, but if all that were true, then why didn't they speak up a long time ago? If he really did make all these people angry, then I don't get why a focused effort couldn't have stopped it.

At this point, I can't tell how much of this is true, and how of this is jealousy that he got so successful.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: News thread.   

Back to top Go down
 
News thread.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
 Similar topics
-
» The Official 'Man Of Steel' Non-News Thread
» 'Iron Man 3' News Thread
» STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS NEWS THREAD *SPOILERS*
» The Official League of Legends News thread
» Amazing Spider-Man news thread

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Jurassic Mainframe Forums :: The Innovation Center :: Off-Topic Discussions-
Jump to: