Don't worry, Ian. I'm not making the same mistakes again! est 2016.

HomeMainframeCalendarJurassic Mainframe NewsFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog inJurassic-Pedia

Share | 

News thread.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:44 pm

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/04/26/africa/sudan-last-male-northern-white-rhino-tinder/index.html
One of only three last existing northern white rhinos (that we know of) gets Tinder profile. Obviously it's just for PR, but good purpose
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:53 pm

@Mistral wrote:
http://edition.cnn.com/2017/04/26/africa/sudan-last-male-northern-white-rhino-tinder/index.html
One of only three last existing northern white rhinos (that we know of) gets Tinder profile. Obviously it's just for PR, but good purpose

Wow, Tinder is actually put to good use for once... also that photograph of the Rhino without his horns made me veins run cold with pity and shock. pale
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:56 pm

@BarrytheOnyx wrote:
@Mistral wrote:

Wow, Tinder is actually put to good use for once... also that photograph of the Rhino without his horns made me veins run cold with pity and shock. pale

In certain situations it may actually be better for the horn to be off...
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/22/better-de-horned-than-dead-zoo-chops-rhino-horns-to-foil-poachers

especially when there's just three left, even if they have armed guards round the clock
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:21 pm

I remember reading how in India, there is a special wildlife preserve in which the government has allowed the guards to go Roman on any trespassers. It has stirred up controversy for obvious reasons, but the result is that there has been no pouching on that location since the 'no-holds barred' rule was applied.

Given how poachers have been using rocket launchers to kill elephants, I think that it may time for African nations to adopt that mindset.

In any case, I don't see why we can't just clone all these endangered species.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:55 am

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
I remember reading how in India, there is a special wildlife preserve in which the government has allowed the guards to go Roman on any trespassers. It has stirred up controversy for obvious reasons, but the result is that there has been no pouching on that location since the 'no-holds barred' rule was applied.

Given how poachers have been using rocket launchers to kill elephants, I think that it may time for African nations to adopt that mindset.

In any case, I don't see why we can't just clone all these endangered species.

The scientists in the field of cloning still haven't yet perfected the method of bringing a healthy, stable recreation of an advanced species into the world through artificial means. The sad and frustrating thing is that there are many people who are anti-cloning on principle, and would probably oppose the idea of using it to help save critically endangered wildlife.

With all the talk of bringing Mammoths back from the dead, my guess is that there are financial incentives to basically bring the first truly extinct animal back because the public interest would still be massive. That interest could galvanize interest in preserving other near-extinct animals because now the technology would be viable. However, you would also need a lot of land reserved for the species to thrive and rebuild, and sometimes there are no wild spaces to go back to.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:35 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:49 pm

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-military-options-against-north-korea-nuclear-threat/

"Isn't it incredibly difficult to counter the 4,000 artillery pieces that the North Koreans have on the DMZ?" Sen. John McCain asked Harris at the Senate Armed Services Committee hearing Thursday.
"It is, sir, and this is not designed to counter those kind of basic weapons," Harris said.
"And what is designed to do that? Anything?" McCain asked.
"We do not have those types of weapons that can counter those rockets once they're launched," Harris said.

I guess it's "interesting", for the lack of better word, how in this day and age technology exists to shoot down and prevent strikes of advanced weapons, but not traditional rocketry and the most basic of 'cannons'.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:50 am

In today's news of the relaunched Ottoman Empire and it's all powerful Sultan, Wikipedia is blocked for "threats to national security"
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-turkey-security-internet-wikipedia-idUSKBN17V06Q
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:32 pm

@Mistral wrote:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-military-options-against-north-korea-nuclear-threat/

"Isn't it incredibly difficult to counter the 4,000 artillery pieces that the North Koreans have on the DMZ?" Sen. John McCain asked Harris at the Senate Armed Services Committee hearing Thursday.
"It is, sir, and this is not designed to counter those kind of basic weapons," Harris said.
"We do not have those types of weapons that can counter those rockets once they're launched," Harris said.

I guess it's "interesting", for the lack of better word, how in this day and age technology exists to shoot down and prevent strikes of advanced weapons, but not traditional rocketry and the most basic of 'cannons'.

I remember that the Army successfully tested a laser that could destroy artillery shells in flight, but I don't know what became of it. Also, the Israelis have the Iron Dome rocket and missile defense system that can intercept modern unguided rockets. I also believe that a lot of the CIWS Gatling guns could also intercept these same kind of rockets, but you need a lot of them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:47 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@Mistral wrote:

I remember that the Army successfully tested a laser that could destroy artillery shells in flight, but I don't know what became of it. Also, the Israelis have the Iron Dome rocket and missile defense system that can intercept modern unguided rockets. I also believe that a lot of the CIWS Gatling guns could also intercept these same kind of rockets, but you need a lot of them.

Interesting

Also does the South Korea and their US coalition not have some kind of artillery presence of their own near DMZ? Couldn't they intercept somehow. I haven't really looked into it
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:58 pm

@Mistral wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@Mistral wrote:

Interesting

Also does the South Korea and their US coalition not have some kind of artillery presence of their own near DMZ? Couldn't they intercept somehow. I haven't really looked into it

Yes, but it wouldn't be that simple since North Korea has been known to launch artillery in short bursts via raids or something without getting counterattacked. One has to keep in mind that North Korea has been preparing for war for a very, very long time. And given how it's being run by somebody so young, relatively inexperienced, and more ruthless then his father and grandpa were, it's even more dangerous now then it has been since the early 1950's.

The only comfort is that the USA and South Korea also has a tank presence that is far superior to anything that North Korea has. Not to mention a better air force.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:07 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@Mistral wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@Mistral wrote:

Interesting

Yes, but it wouldn't be that simple since North Korea has been known to launch artillery in short bursts via raids or something without getting counterattacked. One has to keep in mind that North Korea has been preparing for war for a very, very long time. And given how it's being run by somebody so young, relatively inexperienced, and more ruthless then his father and grandpa were, it's even more dangerous now then it has been since the early 1950's.

The only comfort is that the USA and South Korea also has a tank presence that is far superior to anything that North Korea has. Not to mention a better air force.

I think South Korea has been preparing just as long, even if not quite as provocatively Razz

Obviously everyone, including Koreans, really know that if war were to actually occur (traditional or nuclear), North Korea would loose in every single instance. It would just be matter of days really. However it's the initial moments that are so scary. Including bombing Seoul to atoms before anyone can even act to it
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:29 pm

@Mistral wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@Mistral wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@Mistral wrote:

Interesting

I think South Korea has been preparing just as long, even if not quite as provocatively Razz

There was a time when South Korea cut back on that because they thought that good relations would help the problem. But that basically ended in the late-2000's when Kim Jong Il launched artillery raids and crippled that one gunboat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:39 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@Mistral wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@Mistral wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@Mistral wrote:

Interesting

There was a time when South Korea cut back on that because they thought that good relations would help the problem. But that basically ended in the late-2000's when Kim Jong Il launched artillery raids and crippled that one gunboat.

Well they have the world's most powerful military behind them in ally form, so army spending probably isn't highest in the budget agenda every year
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:47 pm

@Mistral wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@Mistral wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@Mistral wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@Mistral wrote:

Interesting

Well they have the world's most powerful military behind them in ally form, so army spending probably isn't highest in the budget agenda every year

It had to have increased ever since those raids, or at least since Kim Jong Un decided to launch all those raids once he took officially took power.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:12 pm

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:33 pm

@Mistral wrote:
7,000 new weasels for the Sultan
https://www.turkishminute.com/2017/04/29/new-decree-creates-positions-for-7000-neighborhood-guards/

It makes you wonder how long before Turkey gets booted from NATO.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:38 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@Mistral wrote:
https://www.turkishminute.com/2017/04/29/new-decree-creates-positions-for-7000-neighborhood-guards/

Looking inevitable yes
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:41 pm

@Mistral wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@Mistral wrote:

Looking inevitable yes

And not just kicked out of NATO, what about all-out war? Nobody wants to admit to thinking such thoughts, but the way things are gearing up over there doesn't leave me feeling safe regarding their political and military presence. Over here in my British Uni, students and teachers are lamenting how "bad" things are in America (even thoguh they probably haven't visited during the Trump administration) and how likely we are to be "killed" if anyone were to set foot over there! Ignoring how much of a broad, stupid and largely inaccurate generalization, I'd rather take my chances in Texas.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:42 pm

I think all-out civil war is more likely than war with another country (well okay with the exception of it's ongoing neighbors)
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:57 pm

@BarrytheOnyx wrote:
@Mistral wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@Mistral wrote:

Looking inevitable yes

And not just kicked out of NATO, what about all-out war? Nobody wants to admit to thinking such thoughts, but the way things are gearing up over there doesn't leave me feeling safe regarding their political and military presence. Over here in my British Uni, students and teachers are lamenting how "bad" things are in America (even thoguh they probably haven't visited during the Trump administration) and how likely we are to be "killed" if anyone were to set foot over there! Ignoring how much of a broad, stupid and largely inaccurate generalization, I'd rather take my chances in Texas.

A lot of leftists professors and students in American universities think the same thing here. Other then those Antifa anarchists thugs, things are still pretty much the same as they were before the election. As for all-out war involving Turkey, Iran is a much bigger threat in the Middle East then either Turkey or ISIS. If anything else, Turkey has to worry about Iran and it's old enemy, Russia. As for civil war, that's unlikely considering how he still has mass support among the people. That's a big reason why last year's coup against him failed. Also, most of the commanders are still loyal to Erdogon. It's not like in Egypt where after the Muslim Brotherhood got democratically elected, how they ruined Egypt and turned into a totalitarian state that EVERYBODY hated. Thankfully, it didn't last long since they didn't purge nearly enough of the military commanders which in turn led to General El Sisi overthrowing and crushing the Muslim Brotherhood.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:05 pm

I think the "mass support" is something like with Putin, where it seems big, but under the skin and propaganda isn't actually that wide. Now with secret police in place and most of the opposition removed it'll seem more united though
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:27 pm

@Mistral wrote:
I think the "mass support" is something like with Putin, where it seems big, but under the skin and propaganda isn't actually that wide. Now with secret police in place and most of the opposition removed it'll seem more united though

But if that were true, than that one coup would have succeeded since the people would not have protested them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:30 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@Mistral wrote:

But if that were true, than that one coup would have succeeded since the people would not have protested them.

That was before he had started his "clean-ups" and larger scale power grabbings, which many see as excuses after the coup. The recent election illegality questioning doesn't help
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:01 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Mon May 01, 2017 5:44 pm

Bill Nye pushes eugenics.

First, he had that one transgender person sing about gay sex on his Netflix show (No, I'm not kidding. This actually happened.) and now this...It's really really sad what he's become. And to think I used to watch him on a constant basis when I was a kid. What the #$%@ happened to him?!
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Mon May 01, 2017 5:47 pm

I don't think anything he says in that article is wrong. Even if you disagree with it, the population pressure will inevitably become a problem, if it hasn't already.

Also I loved his debates against Ken Ham. But since we apparently cannot discuss religion here, that's all I'm gonna say about that.

As for the Netflix show... ehh haven't bothered with it
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Mon May 01, 2017 5:59 pm

@Mistral wrote:
I don't think anything he says in that article is wrong. Even if you disagree with it, the population pressure will inevitably become a problem, if it hasn't already.

Except the population of the world is already beginning to decease. Just look at China and how the population is already decreasing since their one-child policy has resulted in so many males being born and not nearly enough females. The population in the West has been decreasing dramatically for some time. It's not so much a problem with people as so much the distribution.

Not only that, but eugenics can lead to nasty problems... a la the 1930's. It wasn't just Nazi Germany but also Imperial Japan that believed in it as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Mon May 01, 2017 6:05 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@Mistral wrote:

Except the population of the world is already beginning to decease. Just look at China and how the population is already decreasing since their one-child policy has resulted in so many males being born and not nearly enough females. The population in the West has been decreasing dramatically for some time. It's not so much a problem with people as so much the distribution.  

Not only that, but eugenics can lead to nasty problems... a la the 1930's. It wasn't just Nazi Germany but also Imperial Japan that believed in it as well.

No. Picking single most radical samples from here and there does not prove a point. Most important to remember however is that even though the growth rate has started lumbering, the exponential growth will still continue because of the amount people existing. It is estimated (2015) that by year 2100 even with almost non existent growth rate of 0,1%, the population will be at 11+ billion.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Mon May 01, 2017 6:26 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Mon May 01, 2017 6:29 pm

What do you think is affecting this declining rate of fertility?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Mon May 01, 2017 6:38 pm

@BarrytheOnyx wrote:
What do you think is affecting this declining rate of fertility?

Materialism/Hedonism, people just lacking any need to have a family, greed (everything is about me. Gimme, gimme, gimme), traditions of large families being broken, men being repulsed by women due to feminism, cultural marxism, that kind of thing.

I'm going to say something controversial, but it needs to be said nonetheless. So many in the West has been so spoiled by it's freedom, it's capitalism-at least here in the United States, and it's materialism, that they have forgotten many of it's morals, culture, and stuff like that. In other words, we spent too much time enjoying freedom and not enough time respecting traditions and culture. In many ways, we've become a cross between Brave New World and Idiocracy. I know that's harsh, but it's sadly true.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Mon May 01, 2017 6:42 pm

I have no idea what you are on about, but I guess it's your honest viewpoint and no one can take it away. Just like with Bill Nye
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Mon May 01, 2017 6:53 pm

@Mistral wrote:
I have no idea what you are on about, but I guess it's your honest viewpoint and no one can take it away. Just like with Bill Nye

What I'm saying it that the West spoiled itself with it's freedom and that's why the fertility rate in the West has gone down. It's because 'the all about me' mindset has taken over in so much of society in general that many people just don't care about having large families.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Mon May 01, 2017 7:33 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@Mistral wrote:

What I'm saying it that the West spoiled itself with it's freedom and that's why the fertility rate in the West has gone down. It's because 'the all about me' mindset has taken over in so much of society in general that many people just don't care about having large families.

No I mean I get what you are saying, but I don't understand the reasoning for any of it.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Mon May 01, 2017 7:44 pm

@Mistral wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@Mistral wrote:

No I mean I get what you are saying, but I don't understand the reasoning for any of it.

It's because a lot of people don't really care about traditions, norms, and culture. They think that all of that it are just obstacles for a grand utopia free from all that...except that has never worked at all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Mon May 01, 2017 10:17 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@Mistral wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@Mistral wrote:

It's because a lot of people don't really care about traditions, norms, and culture. They think that all of that it are just obstacles for a grand utopia free from all that...except that has never worked at all.

Funny that the exact opposite has happened in Japan. Due to traditions, and the major expectation placed on the members of Japanese society (including, but not limited to over working themselves because it is expected), the birth rates in Japan have gone down as well. It's like in both cases, few are finding the middle ground.

"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Mon May 01, 2017 10:34 pm

@TheDreamMaster wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@Mistral wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
@Mistral wrote:

Funny that the exact opposite has happened in Japan. Due to traditions, and the major expectation placed on the members of Japanese society (including, but not limited to over working themselves because it is expected), the birth rates in Japan have gone down as well. It's like in both cases, few are finding the middle ground.

A lot of it is also due to economic reasons. Ever since the mid-1990's, Japan's economy has been on the slump. It's nowhere near to where it was in the late-1970's, 1980's, and the early 1990's. The super recession/depression of 2009-2010 hit them really hard as well and made things worse.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Thu May 04, 2017 9:50 pm

It looks like Delta is challenging American Airlines for the 'worst airline company' award, now.

MisterMetokur has started an expose on Channel Awesome on his You Tube page and many people there, or used to work there are quite scared.

Spoiler:

He started out with Doug Walker, but there wasn't anything really bad about him. Just how he failed to move past his nostalgia critic gig. From what I've heard, many people there are really bad people. I remember how Angry Joe threw his fanbase under the bus and defended Anita Sarkeesian.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Thu May 04, 2017 9:54 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
MisterMetokur has started an expose on Channel Awesome on his You Tube page and many people there, or used to work there are quite scared.

Spoiler:

He started out with Doug Walker, but there wasn't anything really bad about him. Just how he failed to move past his nostalgia critic gig. From what I've heard, many people there are really bad people. I remember how Angry Joe threw his fanbase under the bus and defended Anita Sarkeesian.

Demo Reel was the biggest failure of all time, I don't think anyone except the blind fanboys ever thought the reason for going back to NC was anything other than the plain obvious.

I don't care what anyone in CA does really, and haven't for years and years now. It's a sad house of unfunny people and money makers as far as I'm concerned. But there's so much background drama with most of those drama queens, even with ones that are/were semi-good like Brad Jones and (ooooooold) Spoony, that tears will be shed here.
Back to top Go down
Levine
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Fri May 05, 2017 2:34 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
Bill Nye pushes eugenics.

First, he had that one transgender person sing about gay sex on his Netflix show (No, I'm not kidding. This actually happened.) and now this...It's really really sad what he's become. And to think I used to watch him on a constant basis when I was a kid. What the #$%@ happened to him?!

Its what happens when you get a fat enough paycheck. Youll say anything. (And technically he isnt a scientist but an engineer).

"In the information society, nobody thinks. We expected to banish paper, but we actually banished thought." -Ian Malcolm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Fri May 05, 2017 5:13 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Fri May 05, 2017 5:28 pm

That's a terrible sensationalist name for it, 'alien', even the article says it's just something in the structure they haven't seen before.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Sat May 06, 2017 1:34 pm

I don't get how anyone can prove direct links between product X and cancer in court. But I guess in US anything goes
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39816799

Also, all hail Fox News!
http://www.businessinsider.com/fda-fox-news-cnn-tv-2017-5?r=US&IR=T&IR=T
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: News thread.   Sat May 06, 2017 7:23 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: News thread.