Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

The King Kong thread

Go down 
+19
Rhedosaurus
Troyal1
evolution_rex
Dr. Wu
CT-1138
Levine
Oliphaunt
Katana
Lost
owenpratt
GwrChurchward
Sickle_Claw
Mysterious Hero M
Megaspino2
BarrytheOnyx
Raptor Blue
Dead2009
Aegyptiacus3
RolandEden
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
RolandEden
Hatchling
Hatchling
RolandEden

The King Kong thread - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2016 2:38 pm

Kong reveal
The King Kong thread - Page 4 000242837h-first-look_0
Also the last week many revelations about the movie that Brandon Davis confirmed he saw an early cut and mentioned no dinosaurs but many monsters fights. I hope at least we can see dinosaur inspired monsters like Godzilla, he is not a dinosaur but he resemble to a Dinosaur.

Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Oshronosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2016 5:45 pm

i seem to remember hearing that Gorosaurus from the Toho series was from Skull Island, so i'd bet we'll see him if no other dinosaurs. though i also seem to remember hearing that a triceratops-like animal will be appearing (though i haven't been keeping up with news on this one)

Join the Brethren!
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2016 6:04 pm

I really like the look of the new Kong, he seems reminiscent of the original 1933 Kong - less a giant silverback gorilla like in the 2005 remake and more a unique species akin to a Gigantopithecus.

The King Kong thread - Page 4 Dinosa12
Back to top Go down
Oshronosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Oshronosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 10, 2016 10:55 pm

though frankly, Jackson's Kong is probably a closer fit to a real Gigantopithecus (that was even the intention, if World of Kong is anything to go by) based solely on his posture--as much as people suggest bigfoot is a gigantopithecine, i honestly doubt that they were bipedal like that. it is still a really cool design, though Smile

Join the Brethren!
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2016 3:51 pm

I especially like the second one with Kong looming over the Skull Island mountains, roaring down on the small squad of soldiers. Part of me is mixed on whether or not Kong is that big or that's just artistic liscence for the sake of marketing, but still awesome posters!

New Kong: Skull Island Posters

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2016 5:47 pm

Personally, I would have liked to see King Kong look like a cross between a giant sliverback gorilla and a Bigfoot/Gigantopithecus, but with that being said, I do like this design.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2016 9:01 am

Kong: Skull Island Trailer

I think it's fair to say that people have been quite divisive over the quality of this new trailer. I think there are a mix of great and bad elements in it. But definitely check it out if you're in teh least bit curious.

The Good

- King Kong himself looks magnificent, a truly inspiring combination of all the classic Kongs from the 1933 to the 2005 iterations, the fact he was walking upright reminded me very much of the 1976 Kong. Added to the fact that the way he's shot and framed throughout the trailer look incredible, especially when he's glaring at Samuel L Jackson through the fire and looking calmly upon Tom Hiddleston and Brie Larson.

- The new creatures; the subterranean reptillian monsters, the giant water buffalo, the giant spider and log-monster all look really cool and give the impression that the filmmakers have at least given Skull Island it's own unique ecosystem like the 1933 and 2005 films.

- We get a better idea of what's in store for us with regards to the human characters and the monsters that live on the island. It certainly looks very action heavy, but that could be fun as well.

The Bad

- The lack of living dinosaurs. Well, now we have definitive proof that Kong: Skull Island will not feature dinosaurs as the island's main inhabitants, despite being teased with a non-fossilized Triceratops skull, which is slightly disappointing to me.

- The jokes; it should be noted that having humour in your film is not a bad thing, but it's how its presented that's the problem. I can imagine that the majority of these jokes worked much better in the film itself and it's the trailer that's fudging things up.

- The first trailer was very moody and dark, but this new trailer seems content to showcase the action and humour without context, and as we've seen before trailers are prone to misinforming their audiences. This could end up backfiring in WB's faces.

Back to top Go down
RolandEden
Hatchling
Hatchling
RolandEden

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2016 11:40 am

Here is the Trailer

I have to say Im impressed totally different from Godzilla 2014. I hope they will make the sequel like Skull Island. The SkullCrawlers maybe are the Dinosaur Killers and Kong specie killer. I think they came from a creature after Godzilla era.

Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 17, 2016 12:23 pm

I just hope that the 'no dinosaurs' thing is a joke/trick. The 1976 version lacked dinosaurs too, and a lot of its bad reputation suffers because of that.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2016 7:06 pm

Kong: Skull Island will be PG-13.

Back to top Go down
Océane
Océane

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2016 12:24 pm

Unsuprising. That's sort of the Legendary standard.

BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2016 11:32 am

I was poking around monster movies on IMDB when I stopped at the Kong: Skull Island page on the website, and I found out something. Specifically, Derek Connolly is not credited as a story writer or screenplay writer on this film, despite there being a bit of a hoopla when we heard that he was recruited to help re-write Kong: Skull Island back in 2015 when the project was still at Universal. This to me is a good thing, and perhaps the script that's been put on film is an improved version of those earlier Kong scripts, and any say Connolly might have had has been ignored.

I've gone on record to saying that he's not a good writer, and that he might have been a bad influence on Colin Trevorrow as a writer, who I still believe is more competent and talented than most people say he is. Obviously box office success can lead to opportunities, but it's interesting that he's not even listed as a "story" writer. He also wrote the screenplay for the upcoming family film from Paramount Pictures, 'Monster Trucks', which is not doing at all well with critics as of right now. I can't help but suspect that a bad script might have been to fault for that.

IMDB Production Credits for Kong: Skull Island

Back to top Go down
Godzillasaurus54
Embryo
Embryo

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2017 6:17 pm

Did anyone else see the Kong: Skull Island Tv spots?

Spoiler:

BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2017 3:43 pm

A new IMAX trailer for Kong: Skull Island has debuted, channeling the dark tone and mysterious spirit of Apocalypse Now, to fantastic effect I must say! This is definitely a must-by for me!

Spoiler:

ScreenRant also provided an article on the character profiles for the key players in the film, as well as some interesting comments about the extraordinary monsters on Skull Island. Jordan Vogt-Roberts even asserts that he anticipated comparisons to Jurassic World and deliberately avoided making the monsters look like dinosaurs, citing inspiration from the animated films of Hayao Miyazaki. While I am still a bit disappointed that dinosaurs don't feature in the film beyond a few skeletons, I can respect Vogt-Roberts for having the foresight to expect such comparisons and to the credit of the production team, the Skull Island monsters look pretty cool. There is no doubt that I'm still looking forward to the film!

Kong: Skull Island Human Character & Monster Descriptions

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2017 5:10 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
A new IMAX trailer for Kong: Skull Island has debuted, channeling the dark tone and mysterious spirit of Apocalypse Now, to fantastic effect I must say! This is definitely a must-by for me!

Spoiler:

ScreenRant also provided an article on the character profiles for the key players in the film, as well as some interesting comments about the extraordinary monsters on Skull Island. Jordan Vogt-Roberts even asserts that he anticipated comparisons to Jurassic World and deliberately avoided making the monsters look like dinosaurs, citing inspiration from the animated films of Hayao Miyazaki. While I am still a bit disappointed that dinosaurs don't feature in the film beyond a few skeletons, I can respect Vogt-Roberts for having the foresight to expect such comparisons and to the credit of the production team, the Skull Island monsters look pretty cool. There is no doubt that I'm still looking forward to the film!

Kong: Skull Island Human Character & Monster Descriptions

Upon seeing the poster, I'm actually hoping that 'Gimme Shelter' by Rolling Stones is in this movie.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2017 9:41 am

The animals/monsters on Skull island were inspired by those from Princess Mononoke.

Back to top Go down
Godzillasaurus54
Embryo
Embryo

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2017 11:35 am

I decided to watch the other Kong movies the other day and I had a question.

Is this the Skull Crawler?
Spoiler:

BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 25, 2017 12:16 pm

The first release of Henry Jackman's score for Kong: Skull Island, and it's an encouraging first taster. You can very easily imagine the helicopters leaving the aircraft carriers and flying straight through the fog and behold the sweeping mountains of Skull Island. It matches the size and grandeur of the Godzilla score very well, a mix of grand and epic brass and electronic music to give it it's own identity.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 12, 2017 12:15 pm

So far Kong: Skull Island has made $142.6 overall. $61 million here and $81.6 million internationally.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 18, 2017 6:58 pm

Kong: Skull Island was supposed to mock the 2005 Peter Jackson version of King Kong, but WB shot down that idea.

I still don't why people hate the 2005 remake. Yes, it's a little too long but other then that, I still don't get why people hate it.

Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 18, 2017 7:04 pm

Something about making that kind of harsh jab towards the 2005 film also feels like an indirect insult to the 1933 classic, which also featured an an ape in the size range of 25 to 30 feet. Jackson made it as a passion project and love letter to that original Kong, so when you take a dig at that you're also showing how little you apparently care for the film that inspired it (and by proxy Skull Island as well).

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 18, 2017 7:09 pm

I only saw it once when it came out but it was boring beyond belief, all the characters were lame or idiots and effects looked plastic like in headache inducing crappy video game. The only good thing was how darkly the natives were portrayed, but that's kind of given in today's environment and not surprising.

I stick to the 1933 one which is beyond amazing. Along with Wizard of Oz, It's a Wonderful Life, Casablanca and Metropolis it's up to my favorite 'oldies'.
Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 18, 2017 7:39 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Kong: Skull Island was supposed to mock the 2005 Peter Jackson version of King Kong, but WB shot down that idea.

I still don't why people hate the 2005 remake. Yes, it's a little too long but other then that, I still don't get why people hate it.

I'm on the complete opposite spectrum. I think it's a masterpiece and one of the best adventure films ever made.

Yea he went a little overboard on some of the length, action scenes and CGI. But like the LOTR films it feels like a true epic. And I appreciate it so much more looking back on it. 

Just my take.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 18, 2017 8:17 pm

I think when doing a remake/reboot, to justify it's existence one should make it as distinctly as different from the original as possible to the point where only really the core values are present, and yet still aim for it to be better. Like Scarface, or reimagined BSG.
Back to top Go down
Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran
Sickle_Claw

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 18, 2017 8:28 pm

Just got back from the theater. Kong is KING in every way imaginable. I really came away awed and amazed.

Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 18, 2017 8:34 pm

I know the right time to upload this would have been a day or two after the film's release, but I felt compelled to share it nonetheless;
Kong: Skull Island Review

Back to top Go down
Oshronosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Oshronosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 19, 2017 4:32 am

Mistral wrote:
I think when doing a remake/reboot, to justify it's existence one should make it as distinctly as different from the original as possible to the point where only really the core values are present, and yet still aim for it to be better. Like Scarface, or reimagined BSG.
Jackson's Kong was a passion project, as mentioned before. he didn't make it because Universal decided to throw money at him, he made it because he wanted to--it was the movie he'd always wanted to make, what made him decide to go into filmmaking in the first place. it's such an exact remake/reimagining that each part of it is actually exactly as long as in the '33 original if it were stretched out to 187 minutes

one of the things i love about Jackson's version (though it's only elaborated in The World of Kong companion book) is how they fleshed out Skull Island's ecosystem--they didn't just throw fossil species into the present-day without any explanation like alot of media does (contrast The Valley of Gwangi, for example, where fossil animals are just there), they took the fundamentals of the original and gave decently plausible reasons for why they're there and what they look like--it's not Tyrannosaurus that Kong fights, but a tyrannosaur descendant called Vastatosaurus

Join the Brethren!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 19, 2017 6:27 am

I'm sure Spielberg wanted to do it as well, after all he's about as big as fan as Jackson is, but instead he decided to adapt and integrate it into his TLW, hence the San Diego finale on top of what already happened at the island.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 20, 2017 9:46 pm

So far, Kong: Skull Island has made $260.7 million dollars. However, according to Box Office Mojo, Godzilla 2014 made $39 million dollars more in 10 days then Kong: Skull Island has. That and Godzilla cost $160 million to make while Kong cost $185 million. In other words, this movie is going to have a hard time to be profitable.

Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 20, 2017 9:55 pm

To my knowledge, the film hasn't been released in China and Japan, and those are the two markets that Legendary is really trying to tap into, more so than Europe and the United States. If Warcraft was any indication, that's probably where the bulk of their money could come from. If Skull Island is lucky enough to reach $600 Million worldwide, it's still not the blockbuster primer for King of the Monsters and Godzilla vs Kong that they want. Truth is, at the end of the day, these monster movies are still very niche properties that modern audiences aren't that adjusted to, everyone knows about King Kong and Godzilla but their names alone don't have the heft of Jurassic Park.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The King Kong thread   The King Kong thread - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The King Kong thread
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next