We're More Than Just A UNIX System...Enjoy The Boards!

HomeMainframeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Dinosaur Fights in future films

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BarrytheOnyx
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

PostSubject: Dinosaur Fights in future films   Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:40 pm

This might be a source of contention for a few fans, since the reactions to the subject of dinosaur fights usually ranges from awestruck wonder to utter frustration. But the truth is that the very idea of dinosaur on dinosaur action has been present since the first film, ironically at Spielberg's own suggestion - namely the final confrontation between Rexy and the Big One in the Visitor's Center. Others in the same vein include the T.rex vs Spinosaurus battle in JP3, the Indominus vs Ankylosaurus confrontation, and the climactic fight between the I.rex, Rexy and Blue at at the very end.

It should go without saying that a great finale or monster movie fight does not a great film make. Personally, I don't believe every JP film has to has a climactic dinosaur fight (The Lost World is a primary example of this, and JP3 kinda wasted it's theropod battle in the first act). However, these inter-species fights were considered by many to be one of if not the most memorable parts of their respective films.

I am concerned that Universal will have taken note of the huge popularity of the Jurassic World climax and could try to force some additional dinosaur fights in the movie. The results could be disastrous (like an over-indulgent Rex vs Spino rematch) or moderately entertaining while still working in the context of the narrative. Instead of trying to recapture the excitement that built around the Rexy vs I.rex battle would be futile, I would prefer something more grounded such as a T.rex fighting a Triceratops for example, and in that fight both combatants would have an equal footing and the Trike could potentially impale and kill the T.rex.

So I wanted to ask you, if there is a situation in which dinosaurs engage in a fight, what would you envision? Do you believe it is possible to integrate these kinds of scenes without compromising the intellectual integrity of the individual film or series as a whole?
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Megatronus Rex
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Fights in future films   Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:57 pm

It's very possible to have more confrontations, but by now, fans are kind of expecting it and it would feel forced in most cases. The rex/Spino encounter in JP3 felt natural in that the two predators weren't meant to fight each other, but circumstances provoked them into doing so. JW's climactic battle was awesome, but at the same time it's a prelude to what can be viewed as forced fights. If a human actively tries to start a fight between some dinos, that's going to feel unnatural and like fan-service, which I don't want. If in TLW, the hunters/gatherers trekked into the raptor nest with the Buck and Doe following them, and the dinos engaged in defensive combat, I'd buy that. It would be perfectly logical for the raptors to defend their nest against intruders and the rexes to fight back in pursuit of their baby's perceived assailant.

I don't know where I'm going with this anymore, but basically I don't want fights for the sake of fights. There has to be purpose behind them, a meaning and some kind of plot progression. I don't want a random T.rex VS Spinosaurus rematch just because they're both in a movie again. Give me a reason they're fighting each other, whether it be territory, food, or maternal instincts for their offspring. Not just because they're predators and it would be cool for 5 minutes.

And on that note, a fight doesn't always have to end in death. Animals walk away from fights all the time because it's just not worth it. If a T.rex decided to disengage from a Trike, I wouldn't be mad. I'd agree that it's logical.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Fights in future films   Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:02 pm

I'd prefer if theres no fights this go round.

http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CT-1138
Dinosaur Fact File Curator
Dinosaur Fact File Curator

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Fights in future films   Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:19 pm

There's really only one dinosaur fight I'd like to see in a JP movie: 
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://abekowalski.deviantart.com/
Spinosaur4.4
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Fights in future films   Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:43 pm

I don't want any fight, at least not theropod ones. And please, if we're going to have a fight like I.rex vs Ankylosaurus (herbivore vs carnivores), don't put T.rex in it, bc I can't deal with another "Spino vs T.rex" version 2.0...

I would love to see one herbivore defend itself and kill a theropod, to show they're not docile cows like some ppl think.

My dream was to see a carcharodontosaurid vs sauropod(titanosaur) scene in a JP movie.

It makes me mad that some fanboys want the rematch to happen, they should just let it go and get over a 30 second fight that happened 14 years ago in a movie. And I saw many rex fans saying no to this petition also.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Fights in future films   Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:54 pm

I don't want any "fights". I want animals acting like animals. If a hungry T. Rex wants to eat a Stegosaurus, then they may fight until one escapes or gets eaten. A Ceratosaurus might fight an Allosaurus for territory, but it's not exactly the same.

"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gojira2014
Dimorphodon
Dimorphodon

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Fights in future films   Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:05 pm

TBH, I wouldn't actually mind a rematch of T.rex vs Spino, just to get everyone to shut up. Other than that, I'd say either T.rex vs Stegosaurus or T.rex vs Triceratops
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Megatronus Rex
Compsognathus
Compsognathus

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Fights in future films   Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:32 am

But it won't get people to shut up. It'll just spawn another "petition" for a third match, and it'll keep going until people completely lose interest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dance2nite
Gallimimus
Gallimimus

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Fights in future films   Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:45 am

No more large carnivore fights, wouldn't mind a Raptor vs Dilo pack fight though, would look pretty cool I'd say.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dr. Wu
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Fights in future films   Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:30 am

I think there will be a T.rex vs. Spino rematch just for rex fans who want the rematch unfortunately. For me dinosaur fights are awesome but I'll be just fine without them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
owenpratt
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Fights in future films   Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:06 am

A big carnivore vs a Triceratops would be cool to see
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Raptor Blue
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Fights in future films   Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:38 am

A small fight similar to the Indominus rex vs. Ankylosaurus would be fine but I hope big theropod battle finales don't become a staple. Don't get me wrong, the fight at the end of JW was amazing but it would be a bit cheesy if they put it in every movie going forward.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Oliphaunt
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Fights in future films   Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:53 am

Spino vs Rex is overrated, I want an Apatosaurus vs Indominus rematch! Now with the sauropod actually defending itself.

Just kidding, the fight would be over too quickly. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RaptorLover0823
Ankylosaurus
Ankylosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Fights in future films   Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:59 am

Well, actually I've had an ideal scenario for how a fight should go, and it is similar to jp1.
1. Main characters are being chased by (insert predator here)
2. Whilst the main characters are running, (insert other predator here) lunges from the bushes and the two animals begin the battle.
3.Main characters leave area, and unlike jp1, the camera does not go back to finish the fight.

The Geeky Zoologist
Unhatched Egg
Unhatched Egg

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Fights in future films   Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:18 pm

@Dr. Wu wrote:
I think there will be a T.rex vs. Spino rematch just for rex fans who want the rematch unfortunately.

I don't think Bayona is the kind of director that obey to every fan command, especially for a pointless spino vs rex rematch which will feel way too forced to Bayona's standards. Maybe a lot of fans asked for this but it wouldn't be enough to convice him (and I hope that Treverrow's answer to the petition "noted" was a polite way to say "shut up kid and go play elsewhere").
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Raptor Blue
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Fights in future films   Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:24 pm

@The Geeky Zoologist wrote:
@Dr. Wu wrote:
I think there will be a T.rex vs. Spino rematch just for rex fans who want the rematch unfortunately.

I don't think Bayona is the kind of director that obey to every fan command, especially for a pointless spino vs rex rematch which will feel way too forced to Bayona's standards. Maybe a lot of fans asked for this but it wouldn't be enough to convice him (and I hope that Treverrow's answer to the petition "noted" was a polite way to say "shut up kid and go play elsewhere").

Yeah, I don't see it ever happening.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Tyrannosaurus rex
Tyrannosaurus rex

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Fights in future films   Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:21 pm

I'd like to see a Triceratops vs a large Ceratosaurus like in the Ray Harryhausen classic "One Million Years BC." Make it where the alpha male Trike, who the largest member of the herd battles a Ceratosaurus that was genetically modfiied to grow as big as an Allosaurus (32-35 ft) or a Tovrosaurus. And just like in the movie, the Triceratops wins. Hey, we NEED more Triceratops simply because for such a classic dinosaur, it's been underused. You could argue the same thing with Stegosaurus, but at least it had some memorable moments that didn't concern it being sick.

If not, I'd also like to see a T. rex vs. Stegosaurus fight. It would remember people of the 3 fingered T. rex vs. Stegosaurus fight in Fantasia.

Fun Fact: A T. rex vs. Stegosaurus fight is not a new idea. In the script for the unfinished/abandoned 1931 movie "Creation" which was modified into King Kong, a mother T. rex fights and kills a Stegosaurus which her offspring also eats. If we do see a T. rex vs. Stegosaurus fight, I want it to play it out like Creation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spinosaur4.4
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Fights in future films   Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:44 pm

@Gojira2014 wrote:
TBH, I wouldn't actually mind a rematch of T.rex vs Spino, just to get everyone to shut up. Other than that, I'd say either T.rex vs Stegosaurus or T.rex vs Triceratops

Ppl won't shut up. If rex wins, Spino fans will be mad and want another rematch. If Spino wins again, the rex fans will want the dinosaur to be banished and propose it never existed + a new rematch.

The best is not touch it and leave it alone. We seriously don't need a rematch.

Again, my votes are for sauropods vs carcharodontosaurids. Now that's an epic scene I would pay my kidney to see. They could show the real power of sauropods in that. Twisted Evil

And it would help to add new dinosaur species, IMO it's better than putting a generic herbivore vs T.rex (a dinosaur that can't get killed, so there's no fun putting it to fight another dinosaur).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Troodon_formosus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Fights in future films   Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:47 pm

I don't really want another battle between two alpha predators. It would diminish the importance of Rexy's fighting off iRex if every movie ended with an expy of that fight. If there is a clash between dinosaurs in the next film (and actually, every movie's had one so far; even TLW had two raptors get into a scuffle), I'd like it to involve either smaller theropods in both parties, or a theropod and its prey. Imagine how much an angry alpha male Brachiosaurus would wreck house.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://exploresecondearth.boards.net/
owenpratt
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Fights in future films   Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:41 am

What about a human fight? Like Roland in that TLW deleted scene lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spinosaur4.4
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Fights in future films   Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:08 am

@owenpratt wrote:
What about a human fight? Like Roland in that TLW deleted scene lol

Owen vs Dodgson or Claire vs Evil female CEO? Laughing Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Viperman
Unhatched Egg
Unhatched Egg

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Fights in future films   Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:57 am

I'd like to see an Allosaurus fighting a Stegosaurus. No more Carnivore vs Carnivore fights for me though, especially a rematch of... that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spinosaur4.4
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Fights in future films   Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:03 am

@Viperman wrote:
I'd like to see an Allosaurus fighting a Stegosaurus. No more Carnivore vs Carnivore fights for me though, especially a rematch of... that.

Allosaurus vs Stegosaurus is so classic. I'm all in.

PS: That profile pic lol Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Viperman
Unhatched Egg
Unhatched Egg

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Fights in future films   Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:07 am

@Spinosaur4.4 wrote:
@Viperman wrote:

Allosaurus vs Stegosaurus is so classic. I'm all in.

PS: That profile pic lol Laughing
Indeed it is. And thanks lol, probably my favorite reaction face meme. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KingGrimlock
Unhatched Egg
Unhatched Egg

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Fights in future films   Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:04 pm

Technically we already got this fight in Jurassic Park: The Game but I would love to see Tyrannosaurus vs Triceratops on the big screen. Triceratops needs more screen time anyway Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Fights in future films   Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:09 am

I probably should have mentioned this back in the original post, but I would argue that a scene of predators hunting prey would count as an inter-species conflict, even better if it's not played just for pure spectacle like the JW finale but gives us a view into the rigorous challenges of dinosaur life.

Imagine the protagonists being in a jeep, caught in the middle of a Sauropod stampede while Allosaurus run down a sick or wounded animal, just like in this scene in Walking With Dinosaurs: The Ballad of Big Al. This scene has always impressed me for the cinematography, music, editing and sense of thrill and danger from both the hunters and the hunted, and that is something that a future Jurassic film could certainly benefit from.

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dinosaur Fights in future films   

Back to top Go down

Dinosaur Fights in future films
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1