Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

Michael Crichton's new dinosaur novel to be published in 2017

Go down 
+4
evolution_rex
Spiegel
Levine
Crimsonraptor
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Crimsonraptor
Hatchling
Hatchling
Crimsonraptor

Michael Crichton's new dinosaur novel to be published in 2017 Empty
PostSubject: Michael Crichton's new dinosaur novel to be published in 2017   Michael Crichton's new dinosaur novel to be published in 2017 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 11:24 am

Yeah, you heard that right.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/28/12319480/michael-crichton-new-book-dinosaur-dragon-teeth

Color me very surprised and extremely excited.

Veteran
Veteran
Levine

PostSubject: Re: Michael Crichton's new dinosaur novel to be published in 2017   Michael Crichton's new dinosaur novel to be published in 2017 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 11:36 am

Envision it. Dinosaurs in the badlands.
Back to top Go down
Spiegel
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus
Spiegel

PostSubject: Re: Michael Crichton's new dinosaur novel to be published in 2017   Michael Crichton's new dinosaur novel to be published in 2017 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 12:14 pm

Its about the "Bone Wars" though so I'm not sure if it'll really have dinosaurs in it or just fossils. Not that Im not excited about it just wish it was a secret JP book they found instead.

evolution_rex
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
evolution_rex

PostSubject: Re: Michael Crichton's new dinosaur novel to be published in 2017   Michael Crichton's new dinosaur novel to be published in 2017 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 1:12 pm

I didn't like Micro, but I hope this is good. There seems to be a lot of these 'unpublished' works of his, and I'm sure we'll be seeing them over the years.

http://letterboxd.com/evolution_rex/
Levine
Veteran
Veteran
Levine

PostSubject: Re: Michael Crichton's new dinosaur novel to be published in 2017   Michael Crichton's new dinosaur novel to be published in 2017 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 1:16 pm

Fucking cancer. Always have to take the greats.
Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: Michael Crichton's new dinosaur novel to be published in 2017   Michael Crichton's new dinosaur novel to be published in 2017 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 1:22 pm

evolution_rex wrote:
I didn't like Micro, but I hope this is good. There seems to be a lot of these 'unpublished' works of his, and I'm sure we'll be seeing them over the years.

Is this one of those he wrote the whole thing and never published, or it was sort of worked out and someone else comes in to smooth out the details and finish what wasn't done? I always find those books troublesome, because even though I know it wasn't the author's fault they couldn't finish them, I can't help but think how much was the original author's words, and how much was the other person. Is this how original author wanted the book to end? I'll still enjoy it if it is a good book, but just can't help but think about that sometimes.

"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
Crimsonraptor
Hatchling
Hatchling
Crimsonraptor

PostSubject: Re: Michael Crichton's new dinosaur novel to be published in 2017   Michael Crichton's new dinosaur novel to be published in 2017 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 3:51 pm

TheDreamMaster wrote:
evolution_rex wrote:

Is this one of those he wrote the whole thing and never published, or it was sort of worked out and someone else comes in to smooth out the details and finish what wasn't done? I always find those books troublesome, because even though I know it wasn't the author's fault they couldn't finish them, I can't help but think how much was the original author's words, and how much was the other person. Is this how original author wanted the book to end? I'll still enjoy it if it is a good book, but just can't help but think about that sometimes.  

Found a quote from the Seattle Times http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/apnewsbreak-new-michael-crichton-novel-coming-out-in-2017/

Quote :
According to HarperCollins, “Dragon Teeth” will be published without additional writing or major editing.

Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: Michael Crichton's new dinosaur novel to be published in 2017   Michael Crichton's new dinosaur novel to be published in 2017 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 5:12 pm

Crimsonraptor wrote:
TheDreamMaster wrote:
evolution_rex wrote:

Found a quote from the Seattle Times http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/apnewsbreak-new-michael-crichton-novel-coming-out-in-2017/

Quote :
According to HarperCollins, “Dragon Teeth” will be published without additional writing or major editing.

Ah, thank you! Sounds interesting, I may give it a shot, especially as I haven't checked out a Crichton novel in a long time.

"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran
Sickle_Claw

PostSubject: Re: Michael Crichton's new dinosaur novel to be published in 2017   Michael Crichton's new dinosaur novel to be published in 2017 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2016 12:05 am

also the book is already in the works to be adapted as a miniseries

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/new-michael-crichton-book-works-915943

Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: Michael Crichton's new dinosaur novel to be published in 2017   Michael Crichton's new dinosaur novel to be published in 2017 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2016 3:06 pm

It occurred to me that we don't really have that many novels or films that are actually ABOUT paleontology, definitely keeping an eye out for the book to reach the UK!! Very Happy

Michael Crichton's new dinosaur novel to be published in 2017 Dinosa12
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Michael Crichton's new dinosaur novel to be published in 2017   Michael Crichton's new dinosaur novel to be published in 2017 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2017 11:20 am

Whaaat? How the hell did I miss this? Call me excited!

Yeah Micro was somewhat bland (although made better by John Bedford Lloyd's always-amazing voice in audiobook form) and another author's input certainly didn't help, however I LOVED Pirate Latitudes through and through, so I have high hopes for these final works.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Michael Crichton's new dinosaur novel to be published in 2017   Michael Crichton's new dinosaur novel to be published in 2017 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 18, 2017 3:30 pm

Somewhat surprised that it's only 304 pages, for that is quite short
https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Teeth-Novel-Michael-Crichton/dp/0062473352/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479250602&sr=8-1&keywords=dragon+teeth

The cover is decent even if pretty standard

Michael Crichton's new dinosaur novel to be published in 2017 51tPG05Ci9L._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_
Back to top Go down
Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran
Sickle_Claw

PostSubject: Re: Michael Crichton's new dinosaur novel to be published in 2017   Michael Crichton's new dinosaur novel to be published in 2017 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 18, 2017 8:24 pm

only 304? Should be 350, but I just hope it doesn't end up feeling rushed

PostSubject: Re: Michael Crichton's new dinosaur novel to be published in 2017   Michael Crichton's new dinosaur novel to be published in 2017 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 18, 2017 8:41 pm

Well to be fair now that I checked, Pirate Latitudes was just around the same ballpark at 313. But yeah I think 350 is around the minimum I usually want
Back to top Go down
CT-1138
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: Michael Crichton's new dinosaur novel to be published in 2017   Michael Crichton's new dinosaur novel to be published in 2017 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 23, 2017 12:59 am

To me, Dragon Teeth is less like the other stuff I've read from Crichton, less science fiction and critical/forewarning of putting all your faith into amoral science (stuff like what Einstein warned about via his being anti nuclear proliferation), and is more biographical. But then again, it's also cobbled together from Crichton's notes. It almost reminds me of a Krakauer book, but less methodical and more casual. Krakauer, being a former journalist, is very big on the "document everything" scientific approach and will pretty much lay everything out like a court case, and allow the reader to come to their own conclusions. "Dragon Teeth" presents evidence in the same sense, but does so in a much more casual and reader friendly manner, rather than really forcing the reader to analyze what is being read. Crichton does that too sometimes, but in a more reader friendly way, if that makes any sense.

I guess it can be summed up in a way that Krakauer would be good at writing a lengthy scientific publication, but Crichton would be better for a magazine periodical because Crichton understands how to write in a way that is educational, but also doesn't sacrifice entertainment to be s

http://abekowalski.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Michael Crichton's new dinosaur novel to be published in 2017   Michael Crichton's new dinosaur novel to be published in 2017 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Michael Crichton's new dinosaur novel to be published in 2017
Page 1 of 1