Don't worry, Ian. I'm not making the same mistakes again! est 2016.

HomeMainframeCalendarJurassic Mainframe NewsFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Jurassic World - An alternative Vision

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
The Geeky Zoologist
Embryo
Embryo

PostSubject: Jurassic World - An alternative Vision   Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:40 pm

Since slightly more than a year, I began to write my own version of Jurassic World.
Compared to the actual film, the story is longer, the tone is darker and more mature (This implies some gore elements, strong language and explicit references), there are new characters and scenes and the bestiary is different (While there are new species, other are replaced and the appearance of some of the animals is more accurate. Also the Indominus has a different design)

I have the overall story in mind but it's only since recently that I began to publish the chapters on fanfiction.net and it will take at least a few months before the story will be completed.
Until now, 5 chapters over 22 are available.
However they are only in French but if you're interested, I can write here a summary in English of each chapter.

Here's the list of the chapters (with an English Translation in bold)

Prologue - La Fin d'un Règne (Prologue - The End of a Reign)
I/ Un Voyage Très Attendu (A Long-expected Journey)
II/ Bienvenue à Jurassic World (Welcome to Jurassic World)
III/ La Huitième Merveille du Monde (The Eighth Wonder of the World)
IV/ Du Pain et des Jeux (Bread and Circuses)
V/ Coucher de Soleil sur Isla Nublar (Sunset O'er Isla Nublar)
VI/ L'Iguanodon Éméché (The Merry Iguanodon)
VII/ La Grande Evasion (The Great Escape)
VIII/ Le Calme avant la tempête (The Deep Breath before the Plunge)
IX/ Un Tsunami de Chair (A Tsunami of Flesh)
X/ Un Festin pour les Urubus (A Feast for Vultures)
XI/ L'Ombre du Passé (The Shadow of the Past)
XII/ Bataille dans les Nuages (Battle in the Clouds)
XIII/ Une Pluie de Becs (A Storm of Beaks)
XIV/ Le Conseil (The Council)
XV/ L'Endroit où se trouvent les Os (The Place where the Bones are)
XVI/ De Charybde en Scylla (Out of the Frying Pan, Into the Fire)
XVII/ Se Prendre pour Dieu (Playing God)
XVIII/ Le Noël Pourpre (The Red Christmas)
XIX/ Un Choc de Reines (A Clash of Queens)
XX/ Au-delà de l'Océan (Across the Ocean)
XXI/ Envers et Contre Tout (Against all Odds)

If you want, you can guess what happens in each chapter.

You can read the story here :
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12210007/1/Jurassic-World-Une-Vision-Alternative

Don't hesitate to tell me what you think about it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Geeky Zoologist
Embryo
Embryo

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World - An alternative Vision   Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:09 pm

Here's a recap of the Prologue :

Spoiler:

I hope you enjoyed it.
What are your thoughts about it ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheRexMan22
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World - An alternative Vision   Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:19 pm

I think you're off to a good start. I like how you decided to make Rexy's capture the focus of the first chapter. You obviously put a great deal of thought into this project. Great work!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Geeky Zoologist
Embryo
Embryo

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World - An alternative Vision   Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:58 pm

Thank you TheRexMan22 for your feedback Smile

Here's the recap of Chapter 2 : A Long-expected Journey

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Geeky Zoologist
Embryo
Embryo

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World - An alternative Vision   Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:27 am

Hi folks,

Since I had exams recently, I didn't have much time and energy to continue my fanfic and write recaps for this forum but from now on, I have once again time to do this.
To not let you down, here's some infos :

First of all, here's the list of species appearing in the story :
- Achillobator giganticus
- Apatosaurus louisae
- Avimimus portentosus
- Baryonyx walkeri
- Compsognathus longipes
- Corythosaurus casuarius

- Dimorphodon macronyx (very different from their movie's counterparts though, espacially behaviour wise)
- Dryosaurus altus
- Gallimimus bullatus
- Harpactognathus gentryii
- Indominus rex
- Mamenchisaurus sinocanadorum
- Metriacanthosaurus parkeri
- Mosasaurus hoffmanni
- Pachycephalosaurus wyomingensis
- Pachyrhinosaurus canadensis
- Parasaurolophus walkeri
- Quetzalcoatlus northropi
- Shantungosaurus giganteus
- Stegosaurus stenops
- Triceratops horridus
- Tyrannosaurus rex

Actually this list is a non-exhaustive one because there will be a few surprises on the way.

Second, here's the character's list (the new characters are in bold) :

Main

- Claire Dearing
- Owen Grady
- Gray Mitchell
- Zach Mitchell
- Victor Hoskins
- Simon Masrani
- Henry Wu
- Lowery Cruthers
- Vivian Krill
- Zara Young
- Miranda Liu, a recruit in the Rangers
- Julio Velasquez, a recruit in the Rangers
- Cpt. Katashi Hamada
- Lt. Gilbert Brunet, a former french soldier who became an instructor in the Rangers and Hamada's second in command.
- Erin Laurence, a helicopter pilot in the Rangers

Secondary

Jurassic World employees
- Barry Gauthier
- Niall Forrester, Ranger.
- Selma Forrester, Ranger.
- Cpt Valeria Escher, head of the J-SEC (Jurassic World Security)
- Lambert Ross, owner of the Merry Iguanodon

InGen's employees
- Alistair Iger, member of the council.
- Susan Lynton, member of the council.
- David Fallberg, member of the council.
- Claudia Grey, member of the council.
- Col. Edward Torres, Hoskins right-hand man and head of the black squadrons (InGen's private army).
- Gregor Sherman, field team leader of the black squadrons.
- Paco Cortès, a Tun-Si and a black squadrons member.
- Damian Custer, black squadrons member.

Others
- Karen Dearing
- Rachel Hill, journalist at the San Diego Herald.
- Hal Osterly
- Jim Drucker
- Erica Brand

And finally, here's a translated extract from Chapter IV : Bread and Circuses :

"It seems that we are finally having results", said the man to Owen with his french accent.
"And yet you know them Barry. They can be just as stubborn as mules"
"I believed to think we didn’t hired the right guys but damn, they are almost eating in your palm", said a booming voice.
They saw a paunchy man in his fifties having short brown hair and sporting a goatee advancing towards them from the opposite end of the walkway.
"We were lucky today Vic. Usually, it does not goes so well", clarified Owen.
Owen and Barry greeted Hoskins and he asked :
"Is this why you send your reports late ?"
"We have been very busy", answered Barry.
"Obviously not so much when you receive your paychecks !" Joked Hoskins.
"We barely see you on the island. What do you want ?" Asked Owen.
"Given the progress that you have made recently, the council and I wish that you make a field test soon."
"What do you mean by that ?"
The three men were talking while contemplating the landscape south-east of their position, where the river entered in the gorges which were the home of the biggest aviary in the park.
"Until now we only used these animals for a recreative purpose. We are sitting on a gold mine and Masrani is just making them fed, housed and cleaned zoo's stars spending their days louging while we could use them in other fields such as medicine and agri-food. The council has already thought about a whole bunch of applications but according to my sources, our competitors as well."
"If they manage to create their own dinosaurs", said Barry.
"It’s not a matter of if but a matter of when. I reminds you that we lost our monopoly on deextinction since that russo-korean consortium managed to clone the wooly mammoth and other species from the Ice Age. My spies told me that a dozen of biotechnology companies are accelerating the timelines to catch up and some of them are waiting for the slightest misstep from our side to steal our secrets. Wu can jealously protect his works but it only needs one simple hacking and we definitely loose our leadership position and this is why we need to go ahead.
When my daughter was a child, I often read her Alice in Wonderland. I particularly remember the passage where the red queen orders Alice to run while the landscape stayed the same. You see where I’m coming ?"
"The Red Queen Hypothesis. One of the core concepts of evolutionary biology", answered Barry.
"Adapt or disappear, so is the imperative that rules every living being on Earth as well as ourselves and our civilisation. With these creatures, Nature is giving us a gift that we must take from both hands to ends the evils that plagues our society such as famine or diseases", said Hoskins.
"I don’t mind the idea of using animals in biomedical research as long as their living conditions are decent, which sadly is not always the case. I don’t see the interest of replacing rabbits, monkeys, dogs and cats by prehistoric animals if the experimental conditions remains as objectional."
"Unlike the animals you quoted, the dinosaurs we created are patented, we own them and as a result, we can do whatever we want with them without anyone having the power to oppose us. Moreover, doing experiments on compys is less shocking for the public opinion than to do this on cats."
"To come back to the Achillobators, don’t tell me that your aim is to turn them into war dogs."
"The war dog term is a bit excessive, I prefer biological drones."
Owen began to walk along the walkway, heading to a stair.
"Do not use that kind of newspeak with me and don’t count on us for this. Barry and I don’t want you and the council to screw the results of nearly than three years of hard work. I refuse to send my animals to their death in Syria or God knows where", said Owen, upset.
"And yet if the security division, my division, is financing this research program, it’s not by goodness and you knew it from the start. If this can reassure you, I’m not talking about deploying them in the middle of a battlefield. We both know that modern weaponry will turn them into KFC in less than ten seconds without taking into account the fact they will panic and became unpredictable. I’m rather thinking to an use in skirmishes or tracking operations in remote areas. In their cells, there is an ancient hunting instinct, an instinct that we could program. Look at them !" Said Hoskins pointing to the raptors.
"Less than ninety millions years ago, Nature created these formidable predators. Fast, powerful, cunning and merciless. They will eat guys from helmet to boots in a blink of an eye."
In the paddock, Charlie was rolling in the chips while Echo was cleaning her feathers and Blue and Delta were lying side by side at the eaves of the undergrowth.
"Deep down, your animals are just giant birds of prey and falconry is a multimillenial tradition. I know that you can do it, you dit it with dolphins and birds of prey in the past. Why not raptors ?"
"Except that it took several generations to tame animals like birds of prey, elephants, horses or dogs and dinosaurs were brought back to life only more than thirty years ago. Furthermore, training raptors is like training birds of prey larger than any big cats and having the intelligence of a great ape. This makes them very dangerous animals to work with", explained Barry.
"Mr. Gauthier, I have ecountered feral raptors and yours are way more docile in comparison."
"Don’t be mistaken, Vic. If you would find yourself alone with them in the jungle, you would withdraw what you have just said, believe me", said Owen.
The three went down the stairs and Owen took the direction of a metal railings built in the walls of the paddock.
"And if you talk about this project to the UN or the NATO, I fear for you that that they are not gonna be thrilled."
"You know, many general staff are interested by zoology works. Between the study of fishes morphology to improve drone’s aerodynamism, african ants venom to create paralysing ammo or communication with great apes through sign language to prepare us to an eventual alien ecounter, the examples are legion and prehistoric life forms makes no exception. We try to reduce the number of casualties and some think that robotics is the future but I wouldn’t be that sure. After all a drone can be hacked by the enemy where a tamed animal will stay loyal to his master", argued Hoskins.
"Except that a drone is not gonna eat you if you forget to feed him. Even if government bodies are interested by a using of dinosaurs in defense, I doubt that Masrani will agree. You are well placed to know that he has a a word to say about all of InGen’s activities and he uses this place to teach people humility", said Owen as he closed the gate, leaving Hoskins outside.
"Humility ? Do you honestly think that the real goal of the eight richest man in the world, a man who owns many residences, a yacht, a helicopter for himself and who is so diversified since he is in telecoms, oil, entertainment and many other fields to the point where he mustn’t know exactly what we owns is to teach us humility ?" Asked Vic while shaking his head.
"He is just doing the same thing that politicians and all of these hollywoodian stars who sponsors humanitarian NGO. It’s just a marketing operation to be well seen by the common folk. People like Simon Masrani can be compared to emperors, offering bread and circuses under the form of fast-foods and entertainment to the people in this new Rome that our modern civilisation as well as this park became. You think you’re isolated on this island lost in the middle of the Pacific with your little shack and your garden but no part of this earth is spared by progress and progress always win lad."
"Maybe progress should lose for once. It will heavily cost us on the long term", said Owen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Geeky Zoologist
Embryo
Embryo

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World - An alternative Vision   Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:02 pm

As I said in the "How would you have made Jurassic World ?" thread, my version contains a scene where Masrani and Wu debates about the animals accuracy and today, I'm sharing this scene with you. Here it is :

« How the group’s visit went on your side ? », asked Masrani to Wu.
« Very well. » Answered the geneticist. « Although genetic hybridation is a new field, they understood it functioning in the broad strokes. The details could have been difficult to explain but years of doing scientific vulgarisation and teaching at Stanford helped me a lot. And on yours ? »
The two men were walking along a path crossing a palm grove and which bypassed Simon Masrani's manor. The manor, a building with white walls and a roof made of ocher tiles, exhibited colonial architecture with Victorian and Hispanic influences and had the particularity of being built on top of a hill in the very heart of the island.
« There was just a journalist that wanted to take some pictures on the sly but everything went fine even if the construction delays and I.rex behaviour problems worried me in the first place but Claire will resolve these issues and I stay confident. The first reactions from the test showing are very promising and as for the Indominus, I will only describe it with one word : splendid !
I really think that you deserves some congratulations, you outdo yourself in making this creature. »
« Thank you. I’m glad that she pleases you. », thanked Wu.
They reached the garden located behind the mansion and from where they had a view on the fields where several herds of herbivorous dinosaurs were grazing. Some of the animals had stopped at the edge of a waterhole to drink, but from the garden they seemed tiny despite their large size. Beyond the waterhole, the Sun was setting and by doing so, it bathed all Isla Nublar in the dusk’s golden light.
« I had the impression of having a monster from the ancient times in front of me and the sensations I experienced in the Colloseum are beyond any description. It was like watching a horror movie except that the monster is real and is aware of the existence of the audience. I have chills just by rethinking of it. You should have seen Claire’s face, she was petrified. », said Masrani.
« Not surprising from her… », commented Wu with disdain.
« As for the delegation members, they were won over and so we have our sponsor. »
They passed by a swimming pool which had a few deckchairs near its edge and the two climbed a staircase with large stone steps and entered in an open veranda overlooking the pool and where there was a long exotic wooden table. Masrani invited the geneticist to sit on one of the rattan chairs arranged around the table before taking a seat opposite to him. Wu removed his sun glasses from the collar of his T-shirt and put them on the table.
A housemaid emerged from the interior of the manor, carrying a silver tray. She put the tray on the table, revealing to Wu a tea service in porcelain and a plate containing scones, then poured tea in two cups that she served to each of them and Masrani thanked her with a nod.
« I take care of the rest. », he said smiling as he removed the plate of scones from the tray.
« As you wish, sir. » Answered the housemaid respectfully before turning her heels and returning back inside the manor.
Masrani took his cup and carried it to his mouth, blowing on the ambered liquid in order to cool it before swallowing a sip.
« Please, treat yourself ! », he said, pointing at the scones.
Wu took a scone and placed it next to his cup, which he seized before leaning over and smelling its content.
« Jasmine ? I love jasmine tea. »
« Yes. It was elaborated with leaves from seedlings grown on this island. » Told him Masrani.
They remained silent a few seconds before Wu spoke again.
« I would like to take advantage of this opportunity to talk about you about the new versions. »
At the pronounciation of the word version, Masrani frowned and began to stroke his beard.
« You want to replace the animals ? » Asked the billionaire.
« Not all of them, only the first species that we cloned. » Clarified Wu.
« Why, what’s wrong with them ? »
« Nothing, aside from the fact that they don’t look like real prehistoric animals. »
Wu’s answer left Masrani doubtful, he didn’t know the geneticist meaned by that.
« What do you mean ? These animals are the same that you created for the Jurassic Park project and If I recall correctly, Hammond asked you to create him real prehistoric critters and that’s what you gave him. »
« I know but I based myself on what we knew about dinosaurs at this time to make our own. They were consistent with the image we had of them in the end of the eighties and the beginning of the nineties, an image which is not accurate anymore. »
« But the guests love them as they are. »
« I don’t deny it. Let’s take the example of peplums, a kind of movie that I grew up with and that I enjoyed watching, being fascinated by myths at the time. A lot of people like these movies which unfortunately, show to the audiences a fantasy, even incorrect version of the Ancient World and we are doing the same thing here with Prehistory. As we speak, the entire world as seen our animals wether in flesh or through a screen and the majority of the guests really think that they are exactly the same as their fellow creatures from the past despite the explainations given. »
« Remember that the first feathered dinosaurs you created were unconvicing in the eyes of the test audience, the investors and myself. In fact, you preferred yourself to stick to the old versions. »
« But since we were able to put to get almost pure genomes and the clones obtained are way more convicing on an esthetic standpoint. »
« Regardless, I am not against populating this park with new and more scientifically accurate versions but only if they are more attracting for the guests than the previous ones. You know very well that the purpose of this park is to entertain people and that entertainement is the antithesis of reality. »
« Indeed but by relying on this postulate, aren’t we drifting from John’s vision ? In his vision of Jurassic Park, Hammond wanted to combine entertainement and pedagogy. To him, these concepts weren’t necessarily incompatible. If I recall, you adhered to this vision when I met you for the first time twenty years ago. »
« The realities of this world have pushed us to set aside a part of John’s original vision. Since, we had to consider the investor’s demands and the guest’s wishes. By ignoring the two, we wouldn’t have been that far and this place wouldn’t be what it is today. In the file you sent me, you propose to replace the T.rex by a younger individual from a newer version ? »
« Indeed. Rexy turned twenty-seven this year. It’s a venerable age for a tyrannosaur and even if she is still healthy, we need to think about providing her a successor and the most quickly possible if we want it to be an adult when she will pass away. »
« The problem is that I fear backlash from the public. I doubt that they will like to see the T.rex being reduced to somekind of big coloured fluffy bird, very far from the reptilian apex predator image deeply rooted in our collective imagination. A new one will replace her but it’s gonna be an individual belonging to the same version as her. You really seem to want to the animals to be like their kin from the past but who tells you that the modern representations of dinosaurs will not become obsolete in their turn because of new discoveries ? We may come closer to reality but it is just a distant mirage that we will never reach. »
« I’m conscious that we didn’t recreated the past. It is definitely gone and it’s impossible to do so but the best we can do is to try to reconstruct it or at least a certain vision of it, even if our creations aren’t actual prehistoric animals technically speaking since the gaps in their DNA have been filled with the genomes of other species, making them almost entirely new species. » Conceded the geneticist.
« Ah, Henry… All of this doesn’t matter this much and I think you’re underestimating your achievements my dear. Since more than twelve years, millions of people have came from the entire world to admire your creations and to get away in this paradise the time of a few days to forget their bland everyday life and the misfortunes of this world. The dream of John Hammond has been accomplished and he would have been really proud of what we built in his honour. »
« I think so too » Agreed Wu though his voice lacked some conviction.

A big coloured fluffy bird ? So, it is how Masrani envisions a feathered tyrannosaur ? What a cliché vision ! thought Wu.
Obviously the billionaire didn’t want to hear anything about it and was blinded by nostalgia and the fear of innovation. Because of his narrow-mindedness on this matter, Simon didn’t seem to understand that feathers have nothing to do with the fact of being a coloured critter or not. Moreover, a study has shown that the Microraptor, a small species of Dromaeosauridae from the early cretaceous of China, had beared black feathers and one only need to have a look on modern predatory birds to see that most of them are far from being coloured animals. A bird of prey isn’t particulary scary for an adult human because it isn’t a threat but for a vole, it must be a terryfing monster. Masrani was just one of the many people to be reluctant on the idea of feathered dinosaurs and his opinion was even shared by several geneticists of the company, even though laziness was a factor to take into consideration for Wu, because it was easier to fill the gaps of the Paleo DNA, even if it meaned producing a barely resembling clone of the original animal, than to try to obtain a Paleo DNA having a minimum of gaps.
Henry Wu wasn’t fond of resting on its laurels and it was already the case in high school where he breaked his back to obtain the best grades possibles, in the hope to integrate a prestigious University. His hard work was rewarded since he entered at Stanford University where he studied and prepared his doctorate under the leadership of doctor Norman Atherton, an eminent researcher at the department of genetics of Stanford which had given his name to the genetics laboratories of the Discovery Center.
A the time, the whole staff of the laboratory knew that Atherton was working with a man named John Hammond, apparently the CEO of a recently established genetic engineering corporation, but no one knew the true purpose of this collaboration. Atherton’s death in 1984 created a strong feeling of uncertainty among the department and some feared for their career’s future. Two weeks after his funerals, Hammond approached Wu to make him a an offer which was going to change his life forever. The scottish businessman went to the young PhD student, the one that Atherton considered as the best element of Stanford’s genetic department, to propose him to became the lead geneticist of the Jurassic Park project.
Shortly after, Wu left California for a place codenamed « Site B », located on a remote island called Isla Sorna, an island that the costarican government has rented to InGen two years earlier. During the two following years, Wu and his team worked tirelessly with Paleo DNA contained in the stomach of mosquitoes trapped in amber in the aim to clone a dinosaur. They managed to hatch one at the beginning of the year 1986 but the hatchling died a few hours later and the whole team was saddened, especially Hammond who had made the trip from Palo Alto just to witness the first birth of a non-avian dinosaur since the end of the Cretaceous period. Wu expected this because it was the first time they brought an extinct species back to life and until then, the majority of the embryos didn’t even reach the end of their development and after a while, he ceased to count the clones thrown into the incinerator.
A lot of trials were conducted in Site B to « refine » the cloning process and get healthy individuals and the first dinosaur that survived more than six months hatched in December 1986. During the late eighties and the early nineties, Site B was at full capacity and InGen’s geneticists succeed in cloning more than thirty animal species from the Mesozoic era. Shortly before Hurricane Clarissa hit Isla Sorna, there was several hundred dinosaurs, adult and juveniles, living in the Site B’s facilities.
When the construction work at Jurassic Park was sufficiently advanced, Wu was transferred to Isla Nublar where he worked until june 1993 in the Visitor Center’s lab whose purpose would have been to act as a showcase for the tourists but also as an annex for Site B since some dinosaurs hatched directly on Nublar instead of being shipped from Sorna.
The incident at Jurassic Park and the ravages of Hurricane Clarissa on Isla Sorna dragged InGen in a deep financial crisis but where « Spare no expense » was a credo dear to Hammond, it wasn’t the case for Peter Ludlow, his nephew, and InGen’s board of directors. Making the old John a scapegoat for all of the misfortunes of the company, they sought to oust him and as time passed, Hammond gradually lost the control of his own company and the most important decisions were made by Ludlow.
To help Ingen getting out of its crisis, Ludlow ordered the setting up of an expedition which was sent in the ruins of Jurassic Park in november 1994.
Although the official aim was to clean the facilities and retrieve any kind of expensive equipment and more particulary the one from the laboratory, the true purpose of this expedition was to determine the causes of the lysine solution and the dinosaurs « illicit » reproduction and this is why Ludlow put Wu at the healm of this expedition. But the endeavour turned into a disaster and the survivors were forced to leave the island. Following this, the scientist went through a dry period, filled with the frustration of not being able to publish his work concerning the cloning of extinct species since InGen wanted to keep the secret about what Isla Nublar and Isla Sorna contained at all costs.
However luck turned for the better when he presented the Karacosis Wutanensis, or Wu’s flower, during a congress in may 1997. It was the first species of plant entirely made by man from the genome of other organisms and this achievement brought the attention of medias from the all across the globe on Henry Wu and InGen. It helped to reinvigorate Simon Masrani’s interest in his father’s friend company and the young captain of industry he was offered to Peter Ludlow to buy InGen to put a term to its crisis but Hammond’s nephew refused.
Then the San Diego incident happened just more than a week after the congress and InGen’s economic situation worsened.
The secrecy surrounding InGen's actions off the coast of Costa Rica being no longer, Wu was finally allowed to publish his work and soon he became a celebrity and a miracle worker in the eyes of ordinary people. Representatives of genetic engineering companies rivals of InGen began to court him, trying to persuade him to leave a company condemned to bankruptcy, but in the meantime the InGen’s board of directions had reconsidered Masrani's offer.
Masrani met Wu at John Hammond’s funeral and he showed him the will that John had written just before his death in December 1997, in which he charged Simon Masrani to revive the Jurassic Park project. Like many, Henry believed that Hammond had abandoned his dinosaur park dream since the 1993 incident and the fact that he wanted someone else to fulfill his dream when he had fiercely opposed to any form of dinosaur’s exploitation during the rest of his life surprised the geneticist. Even though the circumstances of this meeting and the nature of the offer had a troubling feeling of déjà vu, Wu let himself be charmed by Masrani's dedication and passion for the project and a friendship began to form between the two Men, united by the loss of a common paternal figure.
Henry Wu could have satisfied himself by doing the same thing as before but for him, innovation was much more than a vague objective that it was not necessary to achieve to live well, not for Wu it was a real quest.
He didn’t cared about the money, of being invited by the world’s most prestigious universities or appearing in the cover of Scientific American, he just wanted to push the boundaries of genetics even if it meaned to come dangerously close to the boundaries delineated by ethics.
But since he was a young PhD student working for an old eccentric Scotchman in a laboratory on an island lost in the middle of the ocean, he let his achievements get to his head and as he gained more and more fame until he became one of the most famous scientists on the planet next to Stephen Hawking, Richard Dawkins, Jane Goodall or Neil De GrasseTyson and it was from that moment that he began to feed another kind of ambition.
In a way, Wu considered himself as being the true heir of John Hammond and therefore, he thought that the chair of InGen’s CEO was rightfully his and when Arnold Mountbatten, Jurassic World’s former director of operations, approached the age of retirement, he began to covet his post because it would have served him as a springboard to reach the top of InGen’s hierarchy and given his friendship with Simon Masrani, he was convinced that the task would be quite easy.
But the appointment of a young executive from out of nowhere named Claire Dearing as deputy director put a stop to his ambitions and when he learned that it was Masrani himself that more or less boasted her, he lived at the moment as a treason. He had the impression that Simon had pierced him and therefore preferred to place someone more influential and malleable at the head of Jurassic World than a more experienced employee who had worked all his professional life for InGen and who, above all, would have been less inclined to satisfy the slightest whim of the Indian billionaire. However, Wu knew that a deterioration of relations with Masrani was against his interests and he decided to preserve their friendship, at least in appearance.
« Look at this beautiful sunset and these herds grazing peacefully ! » Gushed Masrani as he looked the landscape. « It reminds me of the holidays I spent in Kenya with my father more than forty years ago. It was during these holidays that we met John. », he said, nostalgically. « At the very beginning of the millenium, no one could have imagined than Isla Nublar would became again a safe place to visit with family. »
At the mention of that time, Henry began to recall some dark memories that he quickly chased from his mind by looking away at the waterhole where the dinosaurs seemed to had a peaceful life.
« Life is good, Henry so just relax and let’s drink to John’s memory, the prosperity of this park and the future success of the Indominus ! »
Thereupon, they toasted and drank the contents of the cups while the jungle began to be lulled by the songs of the sauropods, as melodious and pleasing to the human ear as those of the whales.

Don't hesitate to give me your thoughts and opinions about this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World - An alternative Vision   

Back to top Go down

Jurassic World - An alternative Vision
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1