Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"!

Go down 
+10
V.a.nublarensis
Rhedosaurus
Aegyptiacus3
TheRexMan22
The Geeky Zoologist
Troyal1
BarrytheOnyx
dance2nite
Tyrant Lizard
owenpratt
14 posters
AuthorMessage
owenpratt
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"! Empty
PostSubject: Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"!   Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2016 4:03 pm

Michael Giacchino will come back to score "Jurassic World 2!"

https://twitter.com/filmmusicrep/status/810580157757030400

Thoughts?

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/owenpratt93
Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"!   Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2016 4:21 pm

I'm okay with this development, although I'm interested to see what Velazquez would have brought to the table.

Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"! Jpbann10
Back to top Go down
dance2nite
Sorna Velociraptor
Sorna Velociraptor
dance2nite

PostSubject: Re: Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"!   Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2016 4:39 pm

Happy with Giacchino (loved his JW scores for the most part) but would have preferred Velazquez for a different take on the score. Now just hope Oscar Faura will be cinematographer instead of John Schwartzman...
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"!   Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2016 4:47 pm

I've voiced by curiosity for Velasquez composing the score for the next film, which really was shaping up to be a J.A. Bayona film rather than a Colin Trevorrow/Steven Spielberg/Amblin production, but I do believe Giacchino is up to the task. And I want to hear his new themes carry over into the next two films, but I do really hope the classic Williams themes make their due reprisals as well.

The balance between new and classic themes is not an easy one to maintain, but I do believe that keeping a consistent composer on the trilogy is for the best.

Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"! Dinosa12
Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"!   Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2016 4:53 pm

I'm not trying to be a hater but this news has me bummed big time. I'm not a HUGE fan of the guy to begin with, and I'd rather have something different. He feels like the safe pick, while the pick for director and everything else so far has seemed "risky".

I mean I'm sure it can't be bad with him at the helm, and Maybe he'll surprise me! But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed.
Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"!   Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2016 5:04 pm

I'm hoping for something a little more atmospheric and/or emotional this time around. I dig JW's score, but I do feel it was a little...err...bouncy in places.

I'm hoping for something a little closer to what he did on Super 8 this time around. Probably my favorite Giacchino score.

Back to top Go down
The Geeky Zoologist
Hatchling
Hatchling
The Geeky Zoologist

PostSubject: Re: Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"!   Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2016 5:46 pm

I'm glad that Giacchino will work on JW2 even if Velasquez approach on a JP film would have been very interesting to hear.
I just listened Rogue One OST today and for a score composed in four weeks, it's actually pretty darn good and the new themes are more memorable than TFA's ones IMO.

I really hope that Oscar Faura will be the cinematographer because Schwartzman's one was very bland (and my least favourite of the whole franchise).

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12945239/1/Jurassic-World

https://archiveofourown.org/works/20436878
Back to top Go down
owenpratt
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"!   Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2016 2:31 pm

JA Bayona retweeted the Scified article about Giacchino scoring JW2, so if there still was any doubt, now we know for sure that Giacchino will score JW2.

I like "Super 8" score as well!
I think "Jurassic World" is the best score composed by Giacchino if we talk in terms of thematic ideas. If we talk about atmospheric elements, than I admit that his "Rogue One" and "Super 8" scores do a better job than Jurassic World.

So, basically now Giacchino needs to mix great thematic ideas and a more atmospheric and emotional core for JW2.

I think he can do that and make some wonderful new music for our beloved franchise Smile

Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"!   Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2016 3:02 pm

My hope is that he is afforded more time to work on the next Jurassic score than 4 weeks, and that he knows as much as one could for someone who might end up scoring the whole trilogy. I've come back from Rogue One and while he was able to emulate John Williams in Star Wars mode and integrate the familiar leitmotifs well, it felt less well structured and thematically interesting than his JW score.

Back to top Go down
TheRexMan22
Veteran
Veteran
TheRexMan22

PostSubject: Re: Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"!   Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2016 3:06 pm

Yay! More good news!

[color=#33ccff]
Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"!   Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2016 7:34 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
My hope is that he is afforded more time to work on the next Jurassic score than 4 weeks, and that he knows as much as one could for someone who might end up scoring the whole trilogy. I've come back from Rogue One and while he was able to emulate John Williams in Star Wars mode and integrate the familiar leitmotifs well, it felt less well structured and thematically interesting than his JW score.

I can't imagine that they would pick him, just to shoe horn him in and give him only 4 weeks.

I'm wondering if this was more of a studio move or if Michael was actually Bayona's idea too? Or maybe some of both?

Either way he can do a GREAT job as long as Bayona sits down with him and makes sure it fits the film and is "special". I think they should allow Michael even longer than usual(to collab with the director) to get it right personally.
Back to top Go down
Aegyptiacus3
Hatchling
Hatchling
Aegyptiacus3

PostSubject: Re: Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"!   Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2017 6:44 am

I was hoping for Velazquez

Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"!   Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2017 9:11 am

I was still hoping for John Williams. Yes, I know the man is in is 80's, but he is still active.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"!   Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2017 9:32 am

Bored by these news. There was nothing memorable about JW score, at least not the bits that haven't been recycled from Williams. Just safe, safe steamrolling like they like it.

Not that Williams has done anything particularly great for years either, I don't think I remember a single thing by memory from his catalogue since the late 90's, but at least it would've been not quite as boring choice as this again.

Maybe try something other than classical score for change, would be different? Some instrumental guitars tongue
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"!   Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2017 11:18 am

Personally, I like a lot of the new themes for Jurassic World. The JP and TLW scores are still better, don't get me wrong (classic John Williams to thank for that), but Giacchino had a nice blend of familiar themes and new recurring themes like 'As the Jurassic World Turns', which serve as the leitmotif of the entire film, and arguably of the park itself. The buildup at 0:38 with the soaring trumpets leading to the choral accompaniment always puts a smile on my face.

I get that some people were disappointed that Velazquez didn't get the scoring job but Giacchino did, but changing up the classical Williams style of the series for something more... say Hans Zimmer inspired? i.e. basically every uninspired action score in the past ten years? No chance. Change for the sake of change is not the answer, that's like asking Star Wars, Indiana Jones or Lord of the Rings to change it's musical DNA.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"!   Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2017 11:48 am

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Change for the sake of change is not the answer, that's like asking Star Wars, Indiana Jones or Lord of the Rings to change it's musical DNA.

Changing things for the sake of it rarely the answer for...anything really. Look at human history. People have overthrown/got rid of the current rule for the sake of not liking them and the results were things much worse. It's how China and Russia got saddled with Communism and so much deaths.

Even in cinema, you can't get away with that. I'm not against some change, but radical change for the sake of it...Sorry, I'll also pass.
Back to top Go down
owenpratt
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"!   Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2017 12:36 pm

I think "Jurassic World" score by Giacchino is great, my favorite one after JP score by Williams. TLW score is amazing too, but imo a bit less various and more repetitive, and those constant percussive elements can be boring after a few listens.

I'm happy for Giacchino returning to JW2 because he created many new beautiful themes (can't get how people can't recognize that for example the Raptor's theme is very impactful, or the InGen's theme very incive, or the main park theme enough powerful) and because he's able to emulate well the typical Williams sound without renouncing to some fresh elements.

Back to top Go down
V.a.nublarensis
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
V.a.nublarensis

PostSubject: Re: Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"!   Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2017 1:04 am

While I agree that Giacchino is a "safe" choice, I think his JW score has some memorable themes and is very JP-like.
Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"!   Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2017 11:05 am

V.a.nublarensis wrote:
While I agree that Giacchino is a "safe" choice, I think his JW score has some memorable themes and is very JP-like.

My favorite piece of original music from JW is the Indominus theme that plays over the Universal logo to start the film. Very ominous, and very JP-ish. I'd love to see Giacchino throw some more stuff like that into the JW2 score, as well as some more emotional themes, similar to what he did in Super 8 (My favorite Giacchino score, incidentally).

Back to top Go down
owenpratt
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"!   Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"! Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2017 12:18 pm

Tyrant Lizard wrote:

My favorite piece of original music from JW is the Indominus theme that plays over the Universal logo to start the film. Very ominous, and very JP-ish. I'd love to see Giacchino throw some more stuff like that into the JW2 score, as well as some more emotional themes, similar to what he did in Super 8 (My favorite Giacchino score, incidentally).

I love the fact the Indominus has two themes instead of one.

Theme A is IMO the "dangerous situation" one, and it's the one you just mentioned that appeared in the opening Universal logo... It plays always to anticipate a really dangerous situation (Indominus camouflage scene, claw marks on the wall, breakout moment, Owen and the kids trapped in the shop) and it gives a sense of alert and threat.

Theme B is IMO the "scientific mystery" theme, more related to the scientific aspect of the Indominus (Indominus hatchling in the lab, when Wu talks about Indominus being bigger than the T-Rex, when Masrani sees his new creation from the paddock observatory, when Owen says animals bred in captivy are not the most functional, when Owen says "What kind of dinosaur they cooked up in that lab, when the group looks at the modified little animals in the lab) and it has a more mysterious feel to it.

EDIT:

Talking about "Super 8" score...
Imagine if this was the opening music for JW2:

..and maybe this one Lucy's theme?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"!   Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 04, 2017 3:43 pm

You know I really hope there is some kind of memorable main theme for the film, it's about time. Not since TLW has there been real new recurring main theme, I mean not really.

JP of course had two themes you can consider to be the main ones, the island arrival as well as the welcome to the park theme.

TLW had the Lost World theme that played multiple times over the course of the film. It had no relation whatsoever to the original theme, yet was extremely recognizable. I think was pretty bold move from Williams (and Spielberg agreeing with him) to have theme so distinctively different from the original, and in such large capacity.

Now JP3, while there's no overlying new main theme as per say and breaks the tradition, still has the new Mercenary theme that plays couple of times here and there. It's not what anyone would call a main theme, but at least it is recurring and original, and somewhat catchy.

JW has... umm...? I know I've received heat for saying it was blandest of the blandest OST in the first place, but even I spoke objectively, I still can't find main theme song from it that is recurring? Is there one? Can someone point to it?
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"!   Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 04, 2017 5:13 pm

@ Mistral, I defer you to my last post in which we discussed Michael Giacchino's music for Jurassic World to me finding the musical themes was one of the easiest things for me to do even when watching the film for the first time.

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Personally, I like a lot of the new themes for Jurassic World. The JP and TLW scores are still better, don't get me wrong (classic John Williams to thank for that), but Giacchino had a nice blend of familiar themes and new recurring themes like 'As the Jurassic World Turns', which serve as the leitmotif of the entire film, and arguably of the park itself. The buildup at 0:38 with the soaring trumpets leading to the choral accompaniment always puts a smile on my face.

And again in the Herbivore valley scene, right at the beginning:

To provide one more example, a user on YouTube combined and rearranged 'The Park is Open' and 'Nine to Survival Job', and the new theme appears after the piano cover of the John Williams theme, and again as we get the closing panniong shot of Rexy on Isla Nublar. While not as distinct or familiar, the nostalgic-sounding "family theme" that underscores the more emotional scenes or scenes between the Mitchell/Dearing family is another recurring motif from the start to end of the film.

Finally, listen to the theme for the Indominus, it's very reminiscent of John's original theme for the Raptors. I wouldn't call it as strong or ominous as the theme John composed, but successfully highlighting the monster's presence and lent itself to tense and action driven scenes or more mysterious ones.

Maybe this all sounds like a load of nonsense to you, and since you've already made up your mind about it I wasn't expecting what you think or feel about the subject. In the end, the first two Williams scores are the best, and will probably remain the best. But let this stand as my testament to the notion of thought, effort and musical connective tissue being put into the score.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"!   Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 04, 2017 5:19 pm

I wasn't talking about individual minor themes, but one distinct main theme that connects the dots for the rest of the score. Like The Lost World theme hymn which is integrated to the entire film and it's components

Distinctive theme songs are something that are bit of rarity in modern films anyway. I was surprised something like Pacific Rim had one

Last edited by Mistral on Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"!   Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 04, 2017 5:25 pm

I wasn't talking about minor individual themes either, I meant the real thing.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"!   Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 04, 2017 5:27 pm

Then I'm truly deaf because I can't find one on those tracks, at all. And in any case that's not very many repeats
Back to top Go down
Pachyrhinosaurus
Hatchling
Hatchling
Pachyrhinosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"!   Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 05, 2017 7:32 pm

I was listening to the JP soundtrack earlier today and it occurred to me that the four note "danger" motif wasn't used in any of the sequels. I doubt it would happen but I hope JPV picks up on it again.
Back to top Go down
Six-Foot Turkey
Triceratops
Triceratops
Six-Foot Turkey

PostSubject: Re: Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"!   Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"! Icon_minitimeThu May 25, 2017 1:28 pm

I've listened to JW score even more than the JP score independently. I think the themes are great! And the unreleased material makes it even better! Michael did great, he'll do great again.

I don't like having a loss of continuity in the soundtrack from one film to another, it felt weird with Rise of the Planet of the Apes to Dawn of the Planet of the Apes because they changed composer. Glad they didn't get a different composer.
Back to top Go down
Herrerasaurus
Ankylosaurus
Ankylosaurus
Herrerasaurus

PostSubject: Re: Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"!   Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"! Icon_minitimeThu May 25, 2017 2:25 pm

I'm also glad that he is back. The jw soundtrack really grew on me, and while i may not like it as much as the tlw or jp soundtracks, i think it is a worthy addition. If John williams cant return then giiachino is alright in my book.
Back to top Go down
#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

PostSubject: Re: Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"!   Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"! Icon_minitimeSun May 28, 2017 10:09 am

I felt that the soundtrack of Jurassic World was one of the most underrated soundtracks in recent memory.

https://www.facebook.com/Petition-to-have-a-T-Rex-Spinosaurus-rematch-in-Jurassic-World-2-194141920665797/
Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"!   Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"! Icon_minitimeWed Jul 05, 2017 12:17 am

I hope Bayona really works close with him to deliver something we've never heard before. It's gotta feel unique like TLW.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"!   Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Michael Giacchino comes back to score "Jurassic World 2"!
Page 1 of 1