Don't worry, Ian. I'm not making the same mistakes again! est 2016.
 
HomeMainframeCalendarJurassic Mainframe NewsFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog inJurassic-Pedia

Share | 
 

 Paleo discoveries of 2017.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 3172
Points : 3824
Reputation : 36
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Paleo discoveries of 2017.   Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:30 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 3172
Points : 3824
Reputation : 36
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Paleo discoveries of 2017.   Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:47 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 3172
Points : 3824
Reputation : 36
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Paleo discoveries of 2017.   Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:15 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 3172
Points : 3824
Reputation : 36
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Paleo discoveries of 2017.   Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:46 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 3172
Points : 3824
Reputation : 36
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Paleo discoveries of 2017.   Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:52 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 3172
Points : 3824
Reputation : 36
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Paleo discoveries of 2017.   Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:59 pm

Tyrannosaurus rex used it's arms to slash at it's prey.

I always suspected that this was the case, that they were used to inflect secondary damage on it's victim while that head and jaws did the main damage.

So much for them being 'useless'.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 949
Points : 1538
Reputation : 32
Join date : 2016-06-17
Age : 25
Location : Stratford Upon Avon, England

PostSubject: Re: Paleo discoveries of 2017.   Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:08 pm

@Rhedosaurus wrote:
Tyrannosaurus rex used it's arms to slash at it's prey.

I always suspected that this was the case, that they were used to inflect secondary damage on it's victim while that head and jaws did the main damage.

So much for them being 'useless'.

I hope this helps to close up the scavenger theory permanently. Those arms in close proximity to prey would at least contribute to the animal dying of blood loss or an infection if it escaped. Even with arms smaller in proportion to its size than most other predatory dinosaurs, those are still anatomically strong and well equipped claws and an animal just doesn't grow that big in a world of large herbivores to steal carcasses.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 3172
Points : 3824
Reputation : 36
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Paleo discoveries of 2017.   Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:27 pm

@BarrytheOnyx wrote:
@Rhedosaurus wrote:
Tyrannosaurus rex used it's arms to slash at it's prey.

I always suspected that this was the case, that they were used to inflect secondary damage on it's victim while that head and jaws did the main damage.

So much for them being 'useless'.

I hope this helps to close up the scavenger theory permanently. Those arms in close proximity to prey would at least contribute to the animal dying of blood loss or an infection if it escaped. Even with arms smaller in proportion to its size than most other predatory dinosaurs, those are still anatomically strong and well equipped claws and an animal just doesn't grow that big in a world of large herbivores to steal carcasses.

I also find it annoying and dumb that this idea is still alive. Even Horner originally didn't believe it via his one book, 'The Complete T. rex'.

Quote wrote:
"I actually don't truly believe that T-Rex was 100% a scavenger. However, sometimes, I like to bring it up just to see my colleagues argue."

He felt that T. rex could kill some prey, but it was just a 'weakling killer' (old, sick, etc.) for the lack of a better description. But he winded up believing his troll argument, which led to that one scene in JP3. I think he went back to his 'true' arguement, but at this point, nobody believes him about T .rex, let alone most of his other theories: Torosaurus=Full grown Bull Triceratops, boneheads not being able to headbutt, etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 3172
Points : 3824
Reputation : 36
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Paleo discoveries of 2017.   Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:26 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 3172
Points : 3824
Reputation : 36
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Paleo discoveries of 2017.   Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:16 pm

This talks about the recently discovered sauropod dinosaur, Mierasaurus, that was found near Moab, Utah.

Also, not only did the one meteorite that wiped out the non-avian dinosaurs hit a place that had a lot sulfur, but it was also oil rich as well.

Oil, sulfur, and very big hot boulder coming at the Earth very, very fast...It's no wonder why dinosaurs that weren't birds died out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 3172
Points : 3824
Reputation : 36
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Paleo discoveries of 2017.   Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:08 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 949
Points : 1538
Reputation : 32
Join date : 2016-06-17
Age : 25
Location : Stratford Upon Avon, England

PostSubject: Re: Paleo discoveries of 2017.   Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:33 am

While dinosaurs were by no means invulnerable, the fact that they were capable of surviving injuries that would normally kill a mammal is rather believable. A damn Hadrosaur surviving an attack to the head by a T. REX is incredible, and same with serious scarring to the Triceratops frills from rutting. It gives a sense of how violent and dangerous the Mesozoic world was, and he'd be incredibly out of our depth even if we had adapted to the air content and harsh climate.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 3172
Points : 3824
Reputation : 36
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Paleo discoveries of 2017.   Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:44 am

@BarrytheOnyx wrote:
While dinosaurs were by no means invulnerable, the fact that they were capable of surviving injuries that would normally kill a mammal is rather believable. A damn Hadrosaur surviving an attack to the head by a T. REX is incredible, and same with serious scarring to the Triceratops frills from rutting. It gives a sense of how violent and dangerous the Mesozoic world was, and he'd be incredibly out of our depth even if we had adapted to the air content and harsh climate.

It doesn't even mention how Stan survived a bite to the head either. It really is amazing just how tough they really were.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 3172
Points : 3824
Reputation : 36
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Paleo discoveries of 2017.   Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:31 pm

The world's largest sauropod trackway has been found in France and is 500 ft long and is dated to the Late Jurassic.

They also concluded that the sauropod that made it was 115ft long and had to weight of slightly over 5 African elephants. It's most likely a Turiasaurus or a close relative.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
avatar

Posts : 3172
Points : 3824
Reputation : 36
Join date : 2016-06-08
Age : 29
Location : Armada, Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Paleo discoveries of 2017.   Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:40 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Paleo discoveries of 2017.   

Back to top Go down
 
Paleo discoveries of 2017.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
 Similar topics
-
» Paleo discoveries of 2017.
» Norway Will Be the First Country to Turn Off FM Radio in 2017
» COLLECTA makes your wishes come true!!! ... what you want to see in 2017?
» Schleich 2017 Wishes/Speculations!
» Schleich 2017 List with Links to Pictures - Final Update, September 6th

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Jurassic Mainframe Forums :: The Innovation Center :: The Bonebeds-
Jump to: