Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

Who do you want to direct JP 6?

Go down 
+15
NolaJP
Spinosaur4.4
The Beeg One
Six-Foot Turkey
evolution_rex
The Geeky Zoologist
Tyrant Lizard
Troyal1
Aegyptiacus3
K_Ozz92
dance2nite
owenpratt
BarrytheOnyx
Rhedosaurus
1morey
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
1morey
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
1morey

Who do you want to direct JP 6? Empty
PostSubject: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 07, 2017 2:29 pm

My top three are:

* Juame Collet-Serra
* Dan Trachtenberg
* Denis Villenueve
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 07, 2017 3:04 pm

Here are my choices.

Christopher Nolan

The Russo Brothers

Tim Burton

Clint Eastwood

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 07, 2017 3:42 pm

Tim Burton? Really?? The guy has not been on a hot streak since the 90s, and I hardly see him bending over backwards to try and end the Jurassic Saga on a high note. Plus his last venture into sci-fi was the Planet of the Apes remake, that didn't exactly go over well. The next director has to either fit the mold of directing that Steven Spielberg mastered, even if his proteges like Joe Johnston and Colin Trevorrow got their share of critics. With Bayona, it could mark a new direction being taken for the franchise towards a decidedly darker and hopefully more compelling route. My choices, in no particular order, are based on options that would be realistic for the franchise while still being ideal choices for their talent, even if they would say no.

- Jon Favreau
- Brad Bird
- Alfonso Cuaron
- Denis Villenueve
- Gareth Edwards

Who do you want to direct JP 6? Dinosa12
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 07, 2017 4:00 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:

- Jon Favreau
- Brad Bird
- Alfonso Cuaron
- Denis Villenueve
- Gareth Edwards

I can see Edwards pulling it off as well. I knew I forgot somebody. Razz

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

Back to top Go down
owenpratt
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 07, 2017 4:41 pm

- Jordan Vogt-Roberts ("Kong: Skull Island" looks visually impressive and the casting choices are top-notch)
- Alfonso Cuaron (he did great both with authorial movies and franchise sagas like Harry Potter)
- Brad Bird (we know he was attached to the JW project somehow and supported Colin Trevorrow from the beginning. Just for that he would fit well)
- Duncan Jones (He did great with sci-fi movies, and "Warcraft" had cool casting and scenes, despite suffering of the production's cuts)
- Francis Lawrence (he directs his movies really well, and both "I Am Legend" and "The Hunger Games" movies have some pretty suspenseful moments and great casting choices. He knows how to build tension: look at the build-up sequence for the sewer scene in "Mockingjay Part 2" for example here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36BUYPavPMc)

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/owenpratt93

Last edited by owenpratt on Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dance2nite
Sorna Velociraptor
Sorna Velociraptor
dance2nite

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 07, 2017 4:42 pm

Bayona again, but if he doesn't then I wouldn't mind seeing :

Gareth Edwards
Jordan Vogt-Roberts

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 07, 2017 7:53 pm

I firmly believe that ever since JP3 the directors of these films have been more like puppets of the producers than actual men in charge. Therefore I don't really think it matters that much who's there for JP6, you know with the exception of some visual clues. And just as in Star Wars, I also don't like rotating directors on one-off basis "just for the sake of it" rather than choosing people who are best for the job and sticking with them if they get it done.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 07, 2017 8:10 pm

Mistral wrote:
I firmly believe that ever since JP3 the directors of these films have been more like puppets of the producers than actual men in charge. Therefore I don't really think it matters that much who's there for JP6, you know with the exception of some visual clues.

I think that Trevorrow had more power then what others think. After all, he did help write the script. And we should wait for what Bayona offers since he has more freedom, at least from what we know. That being said, I do admit that we need directors with some more power and new producers that are willing to give the franchise some new life while preserving the good.

Back to top Go down
K_Ozz92
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
K_Ozz92

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 08, 2017 1:36 pm

- Shusuke Kaneko (one can dream Smile)
- Jordan Vogt-Roberts
- George Miller

"Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth."- Dr. Wu.
Who do you want to direct JP 6? Tumblr_o344ke_PXt_X1rp0vkjo1_500
Back to top Go down
Aegyptiacus3
Hatchling
Hatchling
Aegyptiacus3

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 08, 2017 8:13 pm

A Jurassic Park movie by David Fincher would be a wish come true. Realistically I think they would go with a lesser known director.

Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 08, 2017 8:43 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Tim Burton? Really?? The guy has not been on a hot streak since the 90s, and I hardly see him bending over backwards to try and end the Jurassic Saga on a high note. Plus his last venture into sci-fi was the Planet of the Apes remake, that didn't exactly go over well. The next director has to either fit the mold of directing that Steven Spielberg mastered, even if his proteges like Joe Johnston and Colin Trevorrow got their share of critics. With Bayona, it could mark a new direction being taken for the franchise towards a decidedly darker and hopefully more compelling route. My choices, in no particular order, are based on options that would be realistic for the franchise while still being ideal choices for their talent, even if they would say no.

- Jon Favreau
- Brad Bird
- Alfonso Cuaron
- Denis Villenueve
- Gareth Edwards

Please dear god let it be Alfonso! Love his direction. But I feel like he'd wanna make the movie very different, and I'm not sure that would mesh well with fans. I'd love it but I'm not sure everyone else would. 

I like Gareth Edwards but I still think he's kinda weak in the human aspect of things. Also he'd keep cutting away from the Rex XD. 

I would really like Matt Reeves but I'm not sure if it would fit his schedule.

If I could pick anybody though it would be Steven himself.
Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 09, 2017 9:24 pm

Alfonso Cuaron or Matt Reeves would be the ideal picks for me (Other than Spielberg, obviously).

Brad Bird might work too, although I feel his direction may lead to a film closer to JW than some people of this board would like (More lighthearted feel, some comedic elements).

Gareth Edwards would fit tonally, but I imagine his take would end up pretty bland and lifeless.

Who do you want to direct JP 6? Jpbann10
Back to top Go down
owenpratt
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? Icon_minitimeSat Mar 11, 2017 5:24 am

Tyrant Lizard wrote:
Alfonso Cuaron or Matt Reeves would be the ideal picks for me (Other than Spielberg, obviously).

Brad Bird might work too, although I feel his direction may lead to a film closer to JW than some people of this board would like (More lighthearted feel, some comedic elements).

Gareth Edwards would fit tonally, but I imagine his take would end up pretty bland and lifeless.

Completely agree.

Anyway, would also be awesome if Bayona stayed for JW3. Love his movies ("A Monster Calls" imo was the best film of 2016 right after "La La Land"), and the same director twice would keep some continuity, but I'm okay also with a new director. In that case, besides the ones you mentioned, I'd say also Jordan Vogt-Roberts, who directed "Kong: Skull Island" in a GREAT way.

Back to top Go down
The Geeky Zoologist
Hatchling
Hatchling
The Geeky Zoologist

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 12, 2017 5:03 am

I've just seen Kong : Skull Island yesterday and I would say that while Vogt-Roberts is a good technician (he showed that he is able to handle CGI and intense action scenes and his shots are nicely crafted), the themes and the characters weren't exploited to their full potential and Skull Island lacked some substance.
For JW3, we need a director that can handles very well the form and the substance at the same time and Vogt-Roberts is not (yet ?) that kind of guy for me.

Speaking of directors, I would pick either Matt Reeves, Gareth Edwards or, as very utopian choices, Peter Jackson or James Cameron.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12945239/1/Jurassic-World

https://archiveofourown.org/works/20436878
Back to top Go down
owenpratt
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 12, 2017 7:39 am

The Geeky Zoologist wrote:
I've just seen Kong : Skull Island yesterday and I would say that while Vogt-Roberts is a good technician (he showed that he is able to handle CGI and intense action scenes and his shots are nicely crafted), the themes and the characters weren't exploited to their full potential and Skull Island lacked some substance.
For JW3, we need a director that can handles very well the form and the substance at the same time and Vogt-Roberts is not (yet ?) that kind of guy for me.

I think that's more a problem of the script, but since Colin/Derek would write JW3, I would not get worried about the characters in a movie directed but not written by Vogt-Roberts

Back to top Go down
The Geeky Zoologist
Hatchling
Hatchling
The Geeky Zoologist

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 12, 2017 10:03 am

Talented directors does not only adapt a screenplay but they also enhance it by correcting their flaws.
The ones who doesn't are nothing more than obedient workers.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12945239/1/Jurassic-World

https://archiveofourown.org/works/20436878
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 12, 2017 10:54 am

The Geeky Zoologist wrote:
Talented directors does not only adapt a screenplay but they also enhance it by correcting their flaws.
The ones who doesn't are nothing more than obedient workers.

And we're all banking on Bayona being the former, as opposed to the latter. With Trevorrow's case, I kinda see him as someone who started out as a "hired gun" director, but when he revised the Jaffa/Silver script, he made it his own thing, which brought a lot of his own baggage into it as well, both the good and the bad.

Back to top Go down
1morey
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
1morey

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 08, 2017 7:56 pm

After looking at the replies, there were two that stood out to me.

* Jordan Vogt-Roberts

* George Miller

Jordan Vogt-Roberts would be a neat choice, as the creature scenes in Kong: Skull Island were amazing. And I'd expect more "heavy" death scenes. (As in more scenes like the ACU ambush or InGen merc/raptor attack scene.)

George Miller would be very interesting. Don't know if he'd do a sequel to a franchise he was not an original part of (Like Babe, Happy Feet, or Mad Max.) I do know, that he would push the limits of stuntwork, possibly more animatronics physically interacting with actors. (Like Richard Schiff and the rex animatronic.)

As for my choices:

Juame Collet-Serra, he does some good thrillers, and The Shallows had some great scenes with the shark. He'd probably give the dinosaurs their own personality/backstory in their design. He's a frequent collaborator with Liam Neeson, so chances are we'd probably see Liam Neeson in a role if Collet-Serra was director.

Dan Trachtenberg, his work on 10 Cloverfield Lane was amazing, and giving a JP film a very tense atmosphere throughout would be nice.

Denis Villenueve, he has made acclaimed films as Sicario, Prisoners, and Arrival. His films are very moody in atmosphere, and likes very dark films. A good choice to follow J.A. Bayona.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 08, 2017 8:29 pm

1morey wrote:
After looking at the replies, there were two that stood out to me.

* Jordan Vogt-Roberts

Jordan Vogt-Roberts would be a neat choice, as the creature scenes in Kong: Skull Island were amazing. And I'd expect more "heavy" death scenes. (As in more scenes like the ACU ambush or InGen merc/raptor attack scene.)

I'm not so sure about JVR. He's still new and when talking about the Metal Gear Solid movie, which is in the works, he came across as as total fanboy and not enough of a director.

Last edited by Rhedosaurus on Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
evolution_rex
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
evolution_rex

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 26, 2017 12:44 am

Couldn't say I'd 'want' all of these but here's some nice options

1. Gareth Edwards- he's got a lot of problems with characters but I love his directing style. He'd
be perfect for a Jurassic Park movie and I think deep inside we all know it.

2. David Lowery- He directed that remake of Pete's Dragon. It wasn't a perfect movie, but it showed he can make a solid mainstream movie while also making a ton of acclaimed art films (his upcoming A Ghost Story looks phenomenal). He also edited the film Upstream Color, which was marvelous.

3. Jordan Vogt-Roberts- I haven't seen the new Kong movie yet but I hear it's decent. I watched Kings of Summer and that was fun. I think he's a realistic choice simply because he's worked with Trevorrow/Connelly, and Skull Island was originally suppose to be a Universal film.
4. Matt Reeves- He might be busy making Batman and Planet of the Apes movies, but Dawn of the Planet of the Apes showed that he's a great director and knows how to use special affects. I think that film's overall look would go well in a JP film.

5. Dan Trachtenberg- I'm one of the few that just did not like 10 Cloverfield Lane all that much, but like Matt Reeves, he came from nowhere and make a successful Cloverfield film and I'll admit that while I had issues with the film it's a decent effort for a first time director. So I think he could rise up and make a JP film for sure.

6. Jeremy Saulnier- One of the best up and coming directors at the moment, having made the brilliant films Green Room and Blue Ruin. They're violent, gritty films that are expertly directed. There's be a little bit of sadness if he sold out and made a blockbuster like a majority of up and comers, but I'd totally love to see him do a JP movie. I'd much rather see him continue to be an auteur though.

7. Cedric Nicolas-Troyan- Made the Snow White movie starring Kristen Stewart and it's sequel. I wouldn't say I like his work but he has skill making big budget films and would be familiar with working with Universal.

8. Justin Lin- He's got a varied filmography but he seems capable of making a big hollywood blockbuster regardless of what kind of movie it is. I for one really enjoyed Star Trek Beyond too, honestly. Also he made some Fast and Furious films so he's also familiar with Universal.

9. Jordan Peele- Great comedian and, as proven with the film Get Out, he can certainly make a film. I've heard rumors that he's going to make a western live action adaptation of the anime film Akira, and whether or not it's true, I think there's buzz around him and so there's a high possibility that studios are going to hire him to direct a big budget film. Who knows, it could be Jurassic Park 6. I'm sure Peele's a big fan of the films, his humor always makes references to films of that type.

10. Daniel Espinosa- Director of 2016's Life, the horror film. He was at one point in talks to make Assassin's Creed, which shows studios are looking at him to make a big movie.

http://letterboxd.com/evolution_rex/
Six-Foot Turkey
Triceratops
Triceratops
Six-Foot Turkey

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? Icon_minitimeThu May 25, 2017 4:34 pm

Brad Bird
Matt Reeves
J.A. Bayona
Back to top Go down
Six-Foot Turkey
Triceratops
Triceratops
Six-Foot Turkey

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? Icon_minitimeThu May 25, 2017 4:39 pm

Tratchenberg would also be cool
Back to top Go down
The Beeg One
Embryo
Embryo

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? Icon_minitimeThu May 25, 2017 4:49 pm

Gareth Edwards, Jordan Vogt-Roberts, Colin Trevorrow, or Stephen Spielberg.
Back to top Go down
owenpratt
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 12, 2017 3:30 pm

I recently re-watched Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, and based on it and what I saw from the various War for the Apes trailers, I think Matt Reeves would be an excellent choice for Jurassic World 3.

Back to top Go down
dance2nite
Sorna Velociraptor
Sorna Velociraptor
dance2nite

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 12, 2017 7:56 pm

Yes Matt Reeves or Bayona again.
Back to top Go down
Six-Foot Turkey
Triceratops
Triceratops
Six-Foot Turkey

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 12, 2017 7:57 pm

Plus Matt Reeves has worked with Giacchino multiple times too
Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 12, 2017 10:32 pm

Personally my plea is that they go with someone who has made a name for themselves and has produced multiple well received movies(like Bayona). 

Not trying to hate on Colin because there is already plenty of hate thrown at him, but I want established directors like Matt Reeves or Alfonso(off the top of my head) taking on JW3. Personally I'd rather have Spielberg back than another "unknown". 

Not trying to be harsh but I need to know the franchise is in experienced hands.
Back to top Go down
Spinosaur4.4
Veteran
Veteran
Spinosaur4.4

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 13, 2017 2:00 am

Matt Reeves would do great. The care he had with Planet of the Apes franchise and how he made the characters as human and real as possible is amazing. I'm thankful he directed the Apes movies, as a fan. I would love to see him direct a JP movie.  Very Happy

Former JPL member, Spinosaur4.4.

Who do you want to direct JP 6? LYHX0zA
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 13, 2017 8:11 am

I think its fair to say that Matt Reeves is perhaps one of the best fitting directors to conclude the Jurassic Saga, thanks to his experience with visual effects heavy blockbusters and masterful grip on storytelling. After the initial draft of Jurassic World provided by Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver, it certainly makes sense to bring another Planet of the Apes alumni to the franchise to end it with dignity.

But, the likelihood of his schedule being open after The Batman (especially if Warner Bros wants him to direct another Caped Crusader trilogy) looks pretty slim, Universal will have to move fast to coax him into it. And I'm sure he'd want a change of pace between working on TWO major franchises and would want to direct his own original projects that aren't tentpole productions.

Back to top Go down
NolaJP
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
NolaJP

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 13, 2017 8:18 am

Reeves is already talking about a Batman trilogy, so I have a feeling WB will have him wrapped up (and handsomely paid) for a very long time.

If Colin sticks to his word and assigns a different director for the 3 films, I think Brad Bird is the most likely candidate. He and Colin are very close. If some of you don't know, Lucasfilm had Bird for their first choice to direct Episode 7, but he was about to shoot Tomorrowland, an original project he had worked on for years. Bird suggested that Colin be a "stand in" director for all of pre-production on Episode 7, and Bird would assume the director's chair for principal photography and post production. Lucasfilm ultimately told Bird to choose one film or the other, and he stood on with Tomorrowland.

He will release Incredibles 2 next summer, which will most likely be a blockbuster hit with excellent reviews. It will be perfect timing for him to tackle a big live-action tentpole. My guess is JW3 will be the more hopeful film compared to Fallen Kingdom, like most 3rd parts of trilogies. That lines up with Bird's filmmaking style.

Honestly outside of Brad Bird, I think the other most likely candidate is Bayona, especially if Fallen Kingdom is another huge hit and critically better received than Jurassic World. Colin and Spielberg may just say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who do you want to direct JP 6?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next