Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

Trevorrow vs Johnston

Go down 
+9
CT-1138
Sickle_Claw
BarrytheOnyx
dance2nite
Troyal1
Rhedosaurus
Herrerasaurus
Levine
Six-Foot Turkey
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Trevorrow vs Johnston for Jurassic World 3?
Colin Trevorrow
Trevorrow vs Johnston - Page 2 Vote_lcap79%Trevorrow vs Johnston - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 79% [ 11 ]
Joe Johnston
Trevorrow vs Johnston - Page 2 Vote_lcap21%Trevorrow vs Johnston - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 21% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 14

Back

AuthorMessage
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

Trevorrow vs Johnston - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Trevorrow vs Johnston - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 28, 2017 8:04 pm

CT-1138 wrote:
For all its faults, I have to give JP/// one major credit and that's that it atmospherically was very much a JP film. It's writing was shit, it's pacing was way too fast, it's music was run of the mill, and the acting was mediocre, but the sets were still pretty good and the atmosphere they created still felt like a JP movie. This is something I sadly cannot say of JW. The sets were sterile and the on location jungle just felt... off. Despite filming only an island away, you can tell it's Oahu and not Kauai. Something about it just doesn't feel like Kauai. The jungle genuinely does not feel like Kauai's. It doesn't effect JP because they didn't film any jungle scenes on Oahu, just the Gallimimus stampede in a very open valley. The rest of the movie's on location was Kauai, and you can tell. It's just somehow different from Oahu. Johnston, either because he wanted to keep that continuity, or just because he thought it would be a good idea, understood this and knew what it took to visually make a JP movie, even if he didn't understand how to direct one.

Six-Foot Turkey wrote:
I still don't understand why Jurassic Park 3's Isla Sorna looks so different. It felt like it was on Nublar rather than Sorna.
That's because most of the on location work was done on Kauai, where they filmed on location for the first movie. Honestly, it's not THAT different. TLW is pretty much 50/50 classic jungle and redwood, and the closer the survivors move into the island interior, the more classic jungle we see. It just SEEMS like a stark difference because there's no redwoods in JP///. However, Cathy's Beach, the ending shot, some parts of the trek were all filmed on Kauai, and the Hunter's Camp, the camp on the ridge, the jungle at the edge of the long grass, and the Worker Village all have classic jungle foliage.

And that’s why I like JP3. It’s such a minor thing that makes a huge difference in my eyes. The atmosphere, the animatronics and Dr Grant make me film at home in a Jurassic Park film. I think the movie has a magic to it that still wasn’t lost on Johnston because of the things he included. Even though the story is basically a complete afterthought.

I like some of his other work for the same reasons.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Trevorrow vs Johnston - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 28, 2017 8:39 pm

Troyal1 wrote:
CT-1138 wrote:
For all its faults, I have to give JP/// one major credit and that's that it atmospherically was very much a JP film. It's writing was shit, it's pacing was way too fast, it's music was run of the mill, and the acting was mediocre, but the sets were still pretty good and the atmosphere they created still felt like a JP movie. This is something I sadly cannot say of JW. The sets were sterile and the on location jungle just felt... off. Despite filming only an island away, you can tell it's Oahu and not Kauai. Something about it just doesn't feel like Kauai. The jungle genuinely does not feel like Kauai's. It doesn't effect JP because they didn't film any jungle scenes on Oahu, just the Gallimimus stampede in a very open valley. The rest of the movie's on location was Kauai, and you can tell. It's just somehow different from Oahu. Johnston, either because he wanted to keep that continuity, or just because he thought it would be a good idea, understood this and knew what it took to visually make a JP movie, even if he didn't understand how to direct one.

Six-Foot Turkey wrote:
I still don't understand why Jurassic Park 3's Isla Sorna looks so different. It felt like it was on Nublar rather than Sorna.
That's because most of the on location work was done on Kauai, where they filmed on location for the first movie. Honestly, it's not THAT different. TLW is pretty much 50/50 classic jungle and redwood, and the closer the survivors move into the island interior, the more classic jungle we see. It just SEEMS like a stark difference because there's no redwoods in JP///. However, Cathy's Beach, the ending shot, some parts of the trek were all filmed on Kauai, and the Hunter's Camp, the camp on the ridge, the jungle at the edge of the long grass, and the Worker Village all have classic jungle foliage.

And that’s why I like JP3. It’s such a minor thing that makes a huge difference in my eyes. The atmosphere, the animatronics and Dr Grant make me film at home in a Jurassic Park film. I think the movie has a magic to it that still wasn’t lost on Johnston because of the things he included. Even though the story is basically a complete afterthought.

I like some of his other work for the same reasons.

Between reading about the good things JP3 did and watching this You Tube vid, I'm only more mad that JP3 was a piece of crap that was made for the sake of Universal getting a JP trilogy. The higher ups only cared about that and not about making JP3 good, or at least respectable.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Trevorrow vs Johnston - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 30, 2017 7:51 am

My Choice? Even though I really hate many of the things he has done to the franchise If had to pick one I would have to go with Colin. At least he seems to somewhat ineract with the fans.

While Joe did many things that he was fully aware that fans could hate and he stilll did them while giving this vibe that he was nonchalant about it.

(The Alan Ellie breakup wich cancels the end of JP, the I know T Rex is the icon but let's try as hard as we can to make it look bad and the jabs at a fan favorite character like Malcolm.)

https://www.facebook.com/Petition-to-have-a-T-Rex-Spinosaurus-rematch-in-Jurassic-World-2-194141920665797/

Last edited by #TRexSpinorematch on Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Trevorrow vs Johnston - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 30, 2017 10:48 am

#TRexSpinorematch wrote:
My Choice? Colin. At least he seems to  somewhat pay attention to what the fans want.

While Joe did many things that he was fully aware that fans could hate and he stilll did them while  giving this vibe that he was nonchalant about it.

(The Alan Ellie breakup wich cancels the end of JP, the I know T Rex is the icon but let's try as hard as we can to make it look bad and the jabs at a fan favorite character like Malcolm.)

I swear to god this is a sincere question and is not meant to troll you.

What if Colin says there will be no rematch. But Joe says there will be one if he is the director, and that the Rex will win.

Would that influence you enough?
Back to top Go down
owenpratt
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Trevorrow vs Johnston - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 30, 2017 3:15 pm

Six-Foot Turkey wrote:

Have you seen The Book of Henry?

Not yet, since here in Italy it comes out in November. I've heard both good and bad words about it.

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/owenpratt93
Back to top Go down
Six-Foot Turkey
Triceratops
Triceratops
Six-Foot Turkey

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Trevorrow vs Johnston - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 30, 2017 4:11 pm

owenpratt wrote:
Six-Foot Turkey wrote:

Have you seen The Book of Henry?

Not yet, since here in Italy it comes out in November. I've heard both good and bad words about it.

That film shows a distinctive style from Trevorrow, imo. The camera work and shot choices as well as the editing. Pretty good in that regard!
Back to top Go down
#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Trevorrow vs Johnston - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2022 8:52 pm

Looking back now?

Neither.

https://www.facebook.com/Petition-to-have-a-T-Rex-Spinosaurus-rematch-in-Jurassic-World-2-194141920665797/
Back to top Go down
dance2nite
Sorna Velociraptor
Sorna Velociraptor
dance2nite

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Trevorrow vs Johnston - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2022 12:31 am

Trevorrow for sure, I mean JW & very likely Dominion >>>> JP3
Back to top Go down
#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Trevorrow vs Johnston - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2022 5:14 pm

Jusr saw some leaks on Reddit about Jurassic World Dominion...

All I have to say is that Colin Trevorow has made the impossible.... Even more damsge to the franchise than Joe Johnston and Kathleen Kennedy ever did combined.

Back to top Go down
TRK/TrexKing
Administrator
Administrator
TRK/TrexKing

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Trevorrow vs Johnston - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2022 12:18 am

Honestly, I wouldn't trust the leaks 100% - sure through and through it is probably what will occur but false clickbait leaks & fan over expectations is what truly kills a franchise. Its happened to DC and Marvel,Of course it will happen here.

Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Trevorrow vs Johnston - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2022 12:41 am

TRK/TrexKing wrote:
Honestly, I wouldn't trust the leaks 100% - sure through and through it is probably what will occur but  false clickbait leaks & fan over expectations is what truly kills a franchise. Its happened to DC and Marvel,Of course it will happen here.

So far every leak has been very accurate...😔

Not to mention...The leaks really sound like something Colin Trevorrow would very much do...😩
Back to top Go down
Jurassic Fan 1994
Embryo
Embryo
Jurassic Fan 1994

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Trevorrow vs Johnston - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2022 5:37 am

What leaks? Tell me what was so bad?
Back to top Go down
Jurassic Fan 1994
Embryo
Embryo
Jurassic Fan 1994

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Trevorrow vs Johnston - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2022 5:40 am

IMO Trevorrow. Been a fan of both JW films though I do like JP3 it's my least favorite.
Back to top Go down
#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Trevorrow vs Johnston - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2022 12:08 am

Jurassic Fan 1994 wrote:
What leaks? Tell me what was so bad?

Check your private messages.

Or you can google them. Google Reddit Jurassic World Dominion Leaks.
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Trevorrow vs Johnston - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2022 4:08 am

As far as having more of Spielberg's direction more distilled into their style and practice, I would say Johnston wins this hands down. Just looking at films like The Rocketeer,, Jumanji, and October Sky and it's clear that he is one of Spielberg's best protegees. The problem was that even if he wanted to go all-in on a sequel to Jurassic Park, the writing teams he had just weren't coming up with anything substantial or worthwhile, and that showed in the haphazard and draining production. As much as JP3 remains my least favourite of the first three films, it could have been a lot worse in different hands, it could have been handed to The Mummy's Stephen Sommers. I think with a proper, finished script, and less interference from Jack Horner, Joe could have ended the trilogy on a high note.

With Trevorrow, I admit I've been in this guy's corner for a long time; he gets compared to JJ Abrams a lot, and while my opinion of JJ has plummetted my view of Colin is mostly steady, some ups and downs but nothing drastic, yet. With that in mind, I think he's still one of the more middling choices for those who could have directed Jurassic World; not the worst but certainly no Alex Garland. I think he could have leaned further away from fanservicey bits (the night vision goggles for example), but it remains for me an enjoyable ride and an intriguing "what-if" scenario with its own set of interesting implications. It succeeds more as a monster movie with sci-fi elements than as a science fiction film with action, which the first film is. The feeling at the time was that the 14 year frustration with how JP3 handled its giant theropods had finally been given closure, especially with the park closed as a result of hubris, and the T. rex claiming the island for herself. When I walked out of the cinema in 2015, I felt like it was the closing of a chapter of sorts. It didn't beat TLW for best sequel, but it was a respectable singular follow-up. That's why I voted Colin back in the day, but my view on him as Spielberg's protegee hasn't held up in the same way Joe clearly is.

Trevorrow vs Johnston - Page 2 Dinosa12
Back to top Go down
#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Trevorrow vs Johnston - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2022 5:20 am

The thing is...Spielberg is a little bit too hands off with his "proteges"... He dosen't seem to mentor them really...He was very hands off in JP3, that was all Horner, Johnston and Kennedy.

Same thing with JW, that was almost all Colin and Dereck Connolly.

And while Colin did include nods to the original and easter eggs...I wouldn't call Colin fan servicey...Given how he does not seem to care about anything TLW or JP3 (fans had to pressure him to make more references to those .movies), he destroyed Nublar, brushed off Sorna to websites, and how he has turned the most popular and iconic species in the franchise into the giant therapods that always easily lose against other giant therapods (Like seriously how the.heck is that a good move?)....That seems to be the opposite of a fan servicey director...That almost borders on Rian Johnsonesque behavior (if not worse) in the sense that they are destroying everyting yet act like everything is all right and nothing is happening.

All in all... Colin Trevorrow has just been like one of those situations where you say "This is so bad it can not get worse"....And it gets worse.... and worse... and worse....

Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Trevorrow vs Johnston - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2022 5:32 am

Not to say that Colin doesn't have his flaws as a person or as a filmmaker, but he really doesn't strike me as a Rian Johnson type. Johnson's choices in The Last Jedi felt very deliberate in its contempt for the very setting of the story and the audience. Something I don't think Abrams or Trevorrow actively display, as much as I may criticise both over different issues.

In particular, Johnson strikes me as a guy who really rubs a lot of people the wrong way (just ask Mark Hamill or John Boyega). In the future, it would be interesting to hear that certain key cast members of the films Trevorrow directed found him exhibiting similar behaviour to Johnson, and making actors exceedingly uncomfortable with said choices (like not telling Mark Hamill that Luke is killed off until seeing it at the premiere, I believe there's a video of it).

Trevorrow vs Johnston - Page 2 Dinosa12
Back to top Go down
Jurassic Fan 1994
Embryo
Embryo
Jurassic Fan 1994

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Trevorrow vs Johnston - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2022 6:45 am

Sorna was briefly mentioned in Fallen Kingdom not just on the website but that was the only pace to get new information on Sorna.

I like Colin Trevorrow and I really like the Jurassic World films. Every film in the franchise I have enjoyed to various degrees.
Back to top Go down
#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Trevorrow vs Johnston - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2022 8:51 am

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Not to say that Colin doesn't have his flaws as a person or as a filmmaker, but he really doesn't strike me as a Rian Johnson type. Johnson's choices in The Last Jedi felt very deliberate in its contempt for the very setting of the story and the audience. Something I don't think Abrams or Trevorrow actively display, as much as I may criticise both over different issues.

In particular, Johnson strikes me as a guy who really rubs a lot of people the wrong way (just ask Mark Hamill or John Boyega). In the future, it would be interesting to hear that certain key cast members of the films Trevorrow directed found him exhibiting similar behaviour to Johnson, and making actors exceedingly uncomfortable with said choices (like not telling Mark Hamill that Luke is killed off until seeing it at the premiere, I believe there's a video of it).

Yeah maybe Colin is not as arrogant as Rian Johnson but they do have one thing in common. They just do not seem to care about ruining (or at least diminishing the franchises icons).

Johnson was like "So people love Luke because he was a brave noble hero who saved the galaxy right? So the best way to go is to turn him into a coward that does nothing and a faliure and then blame the fans for not loving that take".

Colin has more or less done the same, "So people love T Rexes Right? The first 2 films doubled down on them being the apex predators thus making them the most popular dinosaurs in history right? So we need to continue to make almost every film about how all other giant therapods can all very easily defeat T Rexes in very few seconds".

I just can not see how the heck did any of them (Colin and Rian) thought those were good ideas....
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Trevorrow vs Johnston - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2022 8:59 am

In fairness to Johnston, I can't help but wonder if he'd be more fondly remembered if JP3 had a proper script that was written with care and common sense.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Trevorrow vs Johnston - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 22, 2022 9:36 am

Rhedosaurus wrote:
In fairness to Johnston, I can't help but wonder if he'd be more fondly remembered if JP3 had a proper script that was written with care and common sense.

I think it was he himself the one who threw out the original script while filming and decided to start all over.

Not to mention...Where was Kathleen Kennedy in all of that?

She was the producer and she is seen by some as this oh so great producer...Yet she has been in charge of quite a few of the most disliked sequels in history.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trevorrow vs Johnston   Trevorrow vs Johnston - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trevorrow vs Johnston
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2