Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

Isla Sorna is/was not the intended destination for the dinosaurs

Go down 
+8
#TRexSpinorematch
Tyrant Lizard
BoulderFaceplant
Troyal1
Dead2009
Rhedosaurus
BarrytheOnyx
1morey
12 posters
AuthorMessage
1morey
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
1morey

Isla Sorna is/was not the intended destination for the dinosaurs Empty
PostSubject: Isla Sorna is/was not the intended destination for the dinosaurs   Isla Sorna is/was not the intended destination for the dinosaurs Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2018 3:27 am

So, I know people have theorized that Isla Sorna was where the dinosaurs would have been the intended destination to be re-located to.

But according to Entertainment Weekly: http://ew.com/movies/2018/04/18/jurassic-world-fallen-kingdom-half-diaster-half-horror/

The DPG is rescuing the dinosaurs to bring them to a sanctuary built by Benjamin Lockwood in the United States.
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: Isla Sorna is/was not the intended destination for the dinosaurs   Isla Sorna is/was not the intended destination for the dinosaurs Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2018 6:12 am

It seems the concerns of several of our users were well founded. I said in the past it was stupid to bring them to the mainland, but given that the DPG are being played for suckers and the idea of a new sanctuary close to home would appeal to their sensibilities of being the dinosaurs' protectors and educators to the public. This operation can only save a few members of each species at a time, they can't save enough of them to recreate the Sorna ecosystem.

At least, that's the rationale I can offer for it, I certainly don't begrudge anyone who feels like this narrative wrinkle is going too far for them.

Just one question:I get that the island's been abandoned but how can Isla Sorna be gone??

Isla Sorna is/was not the intended destination for the dinosaurs Dinosa12
Back to top Go down
1morey
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
1morey

PostSubject: Re: Isla Sorna is/was not the intended destination for the dinosaurs   Isla Sorna is/was not the intended destination for the dinosaurs Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2018 7:21 am

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
It seems the concerns of several of our users were well founded. I said in the past it was stupid to bring them to the mainland, but given that the DPG are being played for suckers and the idea of a new sanctuary close to home would appeal to their sensibilities of being the dinosaurs' protectors and educators to the public. This operation can only save a few members of each species at a time, they can't save enough of them to recreate the Sorna ecosystem.

At least, that's the rationale I can offer for it, I certainly don't begrudge anyone who feels like this narrative wrinkle is going too far for them.

Just one question:I get that the island's been abandoned but how can Isla Sorna be gone??

Right now, the only answer is that up until 2015 at most, Sorna's dinosaurs were being shipped to Nublar (I don't know if it was specified if those operations were done illegally). Masrani Global also made mentions of poaching activity, and "incidents" in Central America because of said poaching activity

This also explains a more sinister side to InGen's Security Division, since the Masrani Global site mentioned they were stationed off the coast of Sorna to curtail the aforementioned poaching.

Can't poach animals that aren't on the island. And it also explains why Hoskins' team was able to show up on Nublar so quickly (between when Hoskins calls his unspecified contact up until shortly after the Aviary breach.)

Some fans have also suggested that because of InGen creating the four illegal species, those specimens upset Sorna's ecosystem. (Which alludes to what Horner had said about the Spinosaurus being a threat to the island.)

A redditor suggested: "They probably used Sorna as a reserve inventory for some years, until the usefulness evaporated. Once Wu got a fully functional lab and breeding program onsite on Nublar, they would have favored new versions that were likely more genetically mature than older versions from the late 80s/early 90s, versions born in the wild, etc."

This also lends credence to InGen dinosaurs being old stock and Masrani dinosaurs the new stock. (Masrani dinosaurs being the re-designed specimens seen on the Jurassic World website (Parasaurolophus and Pachycephalosaurus) or in the film (Stegosaurus, Triceratops, and Pteranodon.)

Plus, why spend millions on creating new dinosaurs, when you can save a hell of a lot of money by just transporting animals that were already created.

(And it is possible, that the T. rex family (or "Junior") could have been placed in other paddocks to serve as replacements if Rexy died.

Now, there is a discrepency involving Masrani and the United Nations. But that has an explanation Masrani was granted limited access to Sorna (no further explanation on what that limitation entailed). So the United Nations would still be monitoring the island in some capacity.

With the 2001 Isla Sorna incident (and retroactively, the Eric Kirby disappearance, and Dino-Soar operation) being made public, the United Nations would have had a PR disaster for not monitoring the island closely to even prevent a small scale illegal tourist op (or even to notice illegal cloning operations). And because technically, Masrani had a 99 year lease to Nublar and Sorna, there would have been no need to monitor private property.

So:

* Illegal poaching
* Possible ecosystem imbalance due to four illegally created specimens
* Masrani Global strip mined the place

Now whether or not Simon Masrani was aware of this is unknown, but it is more than likely he was not. Or if Simon WAS aware, he was more akin to novel Hammond than film Hammond.

I mean it does suck, as I loved Isla Sorna.

But like Eli Mills says, "Jurassic World, the island, all of that is in the past. I want to show you the future."
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Isla Sorna is/was not the intended destination for the dinosaurs   Isla Sorna is/was not the intended destination for the dinosaurs Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2018 8:54 am

This is dumb. How can the Sorna population be wiped out when the U.S. Military was protecting the non-Nublar islands? Not only that, but couldn't Masrani just hired people to protect the islands like how India and places in Africa hired former military personal to protect endangered species?

You know, the validates my thinking. That Universal wanted to have it both ways, appease Spielberg and themselves via getting rid of the Sorna movies while still making them canon for the fans. What a terrible compromise. So much potential could have been used, and now Universal let it go to waste.

Screw you, Universal. You morons don't know how handle this franchise with respect.

At this point, I'm only getting a few toys but ONLY as a dinosaur toy collector who's willing to reward Mattel. NOT as a fan supporting the franchise. And even then, I don't think I can do this for the next movie. Not if they plan to end it like I think they will via wiping out all the dinosaurs.

What a shame. So many opportunities to expand this franchise are now gone because of how Spielberg doesn't want to see it expanded and getting how much franchises have changes and how Universal is too stupid to take the power for themselves and how they would have run it into the ground like they did with the Dr. Seuss movies and the Dark Universe.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: Isla Sorna is/was not the intended destination for the dinosaurs   Isla Sorna is/was not the intended destination for the dinosaurs Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2018 12:20 pm

Stop with the anti-Universal agenda. Every time something happens it's screw this and screw that.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Isla Sorna is/was not the intended destination for the dinosaurs   Isla Sorna is/was not the intended destination for the dinosaurs Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2018 1:11 pm

Dead2009 wrote:
Stop with the anti-Universal agenda. Every time something happens it's screw this and screw that.

Well, this movie and everything that happens that causes backlash is in large part their own doing. You can say that I have an anti-Uni agenda, but when they give many fans like me reasons, what are supposed to do? Not be critical of them?

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: Isla Sorna is/was not the intended destination for the dinosaurs   Isla Sorna is/was not the intended destination for the dinosaurs Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2018 1:18 pm

You can be critical of something, but when it's the same criticism every time something happens, it can get annoying.

Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: Isla Sorna is/was not the intended destination for the dinosaurs   Isla Sorna is/was not the intended destination for the dinosaurs Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2018 6:31 pm

Obviously I can't know for sure but this makes me think Lockwood might have had innocent plans for the Dino's. I think he gets an "accidental' death.
Back to top Go down
BoulderFaceplant
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Isla Sorna is/was not the intended destination for the dinosaurs   Isla Sorna is/was not the intended destination for the dinosaurs Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2018 6:51 pm

I cannot fathom how the filmmakers thought this was a good idea. You want to bring these things to a populated nation instead of an island where they can stay isolated? Now even Im in favor of letting them die, if this is the alternative. There’s no way a courtroom would agree to let this happen, and it’s definitely going to be a major sticking point for critics.

We know there are no less than five other islands in the film canon that could house these animals. Even if Sorna is dead, which as I’ve explained was a horrendous decision in itself, you can still put the dinosaurs back.

Not only is this an endlessly idiotic creative decision that ignores obvious alternatives and breaches the realm of believability, it’s also another middle finger to the fans. “Sorna is dead, AND there will never be another island with dinosaurs on it!” Why are they doing this? Seriously, why??

If the DPG’s goal was to just put them on another island, the court would be way more likely to agree, fewer animals would be devastated by the change, and the dinosaurs would be in a better climate. Knowing this monumentally cavernous plot hole going in, I cant say I’m looking forward to how this thing is plotted out. I can’t believe such bad writing made if into the final draft.

Let me put it this way: I’m way less excited for this than Evolution.
Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: Isla Sorna is/was not the intended destination for the dinosaurs   Isla Sorna is/was not the intended destination for the dinosaurs Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2018 7:08 pm

As long as the technology exists to bring dinosaurs back to life, nothing is really "dead". Sorna can be repopulated at any time on a whim if the writers see fit.

That being said, if the endgame of the franchise is to have dinosaurs integrate themselves into ecosystems around the world, it kind of renders Sorna and Nublar moot anyways. At the end of the day, they're just land masses. Personally, I'm more concerned with the actual dinosaurs than the land masses they reside on.

As far as relocating the dinosaurs to a sanctuary rather than an isolated island like Sorna goes, I'm okay with it. If the goal is actually to keep the animals alive, it makes sense to keep them contained in a sanctuary, where they can be watched, maintained, bred etc etc etc... Dumping them on Sorna, which is now barren, and calling it a day would most assuredly be a death sentence for them. Sure, there's obviously more danger in keeping them in a sanctuary on the mainland, but, looking at it realistically, how dangerous would it really be? A handful of animals that, if need be, could all be taken down quite easily by a tranq or Elephant Gun, as long as they didn't all break out at the same time. If anything, TLW deserves some of the blame for perpetuating the idea that a Rex escaping into the city would be some sort of catastrophic event, when in reality, it would have been taken down in an instant.

Isla Sorna is/was not the intended destination for the dinosaurs Jpbann10
Back to top Go down
#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

PostSubject: Re: Isla Sorna is/was not the intended destination for the dinosaurs   Isla Sorna is/was not the intended destination for the dinosaurs Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2018 4:59 am

So it is safe to say that we will not see anything of Sorna in Fallen Kingdom?

I love Sorna as much as Nublar so this is sad indeed.

https://www.facebook.com/Petition-to-have-a-T-Rex-Spinosaurus-rematch-in-Jurassic-World-2-194141920665797/
Back to top Go down
eagc7
Hatchling
Hatchling
eagc7

PostSubject: Re: Isla Sorna is/was not the intended destination for the dinosaurs   Isla Sorna is/was not the intended destination for the dinosaurs Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2018 10:07 am

As Colin said if they want to continue with this films, they need to move out of the Island storyline and go into a new direction and i agree with that, How many times we can come up with an excuse for our leads to go back to either Nublar or Sorna over and over and over and over again.

I love JP2, i love JP3, but i am 100% fine with what they are doing with Sorna, heck i think i would've done it myself too if that idea came to my mind, sure i want these dinos to live, but i am intrigued with the idea that these Dinosaurs seem to be at the risk of extinction regardless of what we do.

Megatron
Embryo
Embryo
Megatron

PostSubject: Re: Isla Sorna is/was not the intended destination for the dinosaurs   Isla Sorna is/was not the intended destination for the dinosaurs Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2018 6:39 pm

Good. The sooner the franchise gets away from the islands the better.
Back to top Go down
V.a.nublarensis
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
V.a.nublarensis

PostSubject: Re: Isla Sorna is/was not the intended destination for the dinosaurs   Isla Sorna is/was not the intended destination for the dinosaurs Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2018 7:23 am

This is only the second thing I'm disappointed about in relation to FK. I was hoping (and still am) that they'll mention Sorna as the intended destination for the dinosaurs. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: Isla Sorna is/was not the intended destination for the dinosaurs   Isla Sorna is/was not the intended destination for the dinosaurs Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2018 3:45 pm

I’m not upset with these developments, but I think I’m from here on out splitting the franchise in my mind. It’s easy to do with the multiple timelines of the Halloween franchise, it should be easy here. I’ll just say JP/TLW/JP3 happens. The end. On another timeline the sequel films tentatively happen but then JW happens, plus it’s sequels. That way in my mind there’s a timeline where Sorna survives and then one where whatever happens happens.

"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Isla Sorna is/was not the intended destination for the dinosaurs   Isla Sorna is/was not the intended destination for the dinosaurs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Isla Sorna is/was not the intended destination for the dinosaurs
Page 1 of 1