Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is

Go down 
+26
dance2nite
JVM
spectroul
Herrerasaurus
Mr. Robustus
CommanderKeller
JannToshj
BarrytheOnyx
TRK/TrexKing
Dr. Wu
TheRexMan22
TheDreamMaster
Rhedosaurus
Dead2009
Amadieus
Troyal1
MasterDino
CT-1138
Lost
Bionic
Robotpo
Dv-218
Physalisfresser
owenpratt
Dilophosaurus
Spiegel
30 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is Empty
PostSubject: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2018 12:04 am

Regardless of how much you loved Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom, the fact remains that there seems to be a singnificant amount of backlash towards the film. Maybe not in the passionate "It ruined classic things in the franchise!" like The Last Jedi way, but in a more cynical "WTF!? I have no more faith in this.." kind of way. The point is, that most film critics are being really really harsh on this sequel, and it is not just not so well known critics hating on it. It's famous Youtubers like Chris Stuckmann, Jeremy Jahns and SC Reviews among others all saying more or less that Fallen Kingdom could very well take Jurassic Park 3's 17 year old regin as the most dissapointing movie in the franchise (Wich is saying a lot) and the majority of the general public, a significant amount of casual fans, and even some hardcore fans seem to also share very negative opinions about the film.

And film critics, the general public, casual fans and even some hardcore fans all do seem to coincide on 3 main reasons on why they dislike this film so much and why it is becoming so unpopular:

1) No "awe" or "wonder" factor from the original whatsoever.

2) The rehash of many things seen on previews Jurassic films.

3) Plot holes/ Things that make no sense.

Now the big question is, do they have a valid point?

The answer IMO, is some yes, others no. I think hating on a Jurassic Park sequel because it does not have the same "awe" or "wonder" facto of the original is like
expecting to be surprised after we all know the surprise. It is by far the most unfair reason to hate on a JP sequel since it is obvious that nothing will quite have that same "wonder" factor the original had because that was the first time the public saw realistic dinosaurs on screen. Now everyone knows what they look like.

But having said that, I do think there is a bit of validity in people saying it does rehash many things . Like for example, it is one thing to make a similar scene as a tribute and fan service, but it's a very different thing when you play the "A T Rex arrives all of the sudden to take down an antagonist and save our heroes" card 5 times on the series (Twice in this film).

There is also a bit of validity in that some things are just questionable...If Nublar had a Volcano...Why was it never mentioned? Why build 2 parks there? Why not just take the animals back to Sorna instead of letting them run on the mainland?

Also a factor to consider is that as soon as some hardcore fans knew JA Bayona was directing this movie they were really confindent that this was going to be a unique breakthrough masterpiece. That might be why the disappointment was getting high as soon as the trailers were clearly showing that this movie was going to repeat many elements from Jurassic World.

What do you guys think? Is this it or is there more to the backlash?
Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is Empty
PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2018 1:40 am

Depends on what you're looking for in the film. It's all subjective.

If you're someone like me who just wants to see dinosaurs kicking ass for two hours, it's a solid film.

Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is Jpbann10
Back to top Go down
Spiegel
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus
Spiegel

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2018 1:45 am

Like Tyrant Lizard said, its subjective.

If you wanted a bit more expansion on the JP lore, you're not really going to get it.

#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2018 2:05 am

Yeah I agree, that's why this one in is getting this kind of a reaction. The general public, casual fans and film critics go into every Jurassic sequel hoping that it will re create that "wonder" that they felt when they were kids warching the original and when they found out that this one has none of that, it hits harder.

Us hardcore fans do understand that better, that's why you almost never see a hardcore fan hoping for the "wonder" factor as their main wish in a sequel.

https://www.facebook.com/Petition-to-have-a-T-Rex-Spinosaurus-rematch-in-Jurassic-World-2-194141920665797/
Back to top Go down
Dilophosaurus
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
Dilophosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2018 4:20 am

I think the general audience reception is actually pretty good. It has an A- cinemascore. I will list the cinemascores of the other movies for comparison:

Jurassic Park - A
TLW - B+
JP3 - B-
Jurassic World - A
Fallen Kingdom - A-

So the general audience is rating this above JP3 and TLW but slightly below JW and JP.
Back to top Go down
#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2018 4:43 am

Yeah but on Rotten Tomatoes the Tomatometer is at 50% and the audience score is at 61% wich is kinda low. The movie has just been released in America so those scores could go up or down.

But on the other hand, The Lost Word has a 53% audience score and there was no backlash to it in 1997 and it is still considered by many fans the best sequel in the franchise so you might be right.

https://www.facebook.com/Petition-to-have-a-T-Rex-Spinosaurus-rematch-in-Jurassic-World-2-194141920665797/
Back to top Go down
owenpratt
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2018 5:54 am

Maybe it didn't capture the awe and wonder of the first JP, but did Jurassic World do it? It didn't neither, and still it has a 71% on RT.

They hate it because it's a rehash of previous Jurassic movies? This is the one that I really cannot understand. It's actually the most innovative and different sequel. Also, if people are complaining about rehashing JP, then they should have hated JW as well. By the way there's also people complaining about FK not being a JP movie, too different. So yeah, I'm confused here.

All of the JP sequels had plot holes, but somehow FK seems to be criticized the most for this aspect. Probably its plot holes are more evident, I don't know, or people just became much more nitpicky recently.

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/owenpratt93
Back to top Go down
Physalisfresser
Hatchling
Hatchling
Physalisfresser

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2018 5:58 am

What was lacking to me was a Jurassic Series feeling in the movie. Nothing in this movie felt like it was connected to the original trilogy. It was a solid action movie and I kind of enjoyed it, but I can't name this movie in the same sentence as the Jurassic Park movies.

This movie had some cool ideas and some great images, but there was nothing comparable to the the three Jurassic Park movies in there for me. To me Fallen Kingdom felt very sterile like Jurassic World, but unlike Jurassic World it was not the imagery that was sterile, it was the storytelling. The plot is really were this movie lacks a lot. Sure it pushes the Franchise in a new direction, but not in the most logical ways.

To me this movie lacks something but I can't rreally pinpoint what exactly. I'm a really casual moviegoer and I'm not very familiar with what makes movies great.
Back to top Go down
owenpratt
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2018 6:44 am

To me it felt more Jurassic than Jurassic World. Maybe it's because of the visuals, but I think also the plot itself starting big and then getting claustrophobic is to me very JP. The concept itself of dinosaurs breaking free, or the science talk, Malcolm's lines, the Indoraptor giving sorts of "Raptors in the kitchen" vibes...

Back to top Go down
#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2018 7:29 am

But people are saying it is a rehash because despite having 1 or 2 new plot points, the movie does repeat too closely many scenes and elements from not only Jurassic Park and The Lost World but also Jurassic World.

Not only does it make a T Rex appear to take down an antagonist for the fifth time in the series (twice this film but it also does almost the exact same pose it did at the end of the first one.

And just like Jurassic World, Fallen Kingdom once again;

-Is a movie that centers around a new badass hybrid mutant.

-Has Rexy and Blue play heroic roles

-Both Rexy and Blue fight main antagonists at the end.

-Owen and Claire have a history but are not together at the start but re discover that they love each other.

-We literaly visit the same Island and Park

So they kind of do have a point.
Back to top Go down
owenpratt
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2018 8:29 am

So for example "Back to The Future Part II" should get bashed because, despite introducing a pair of new plot points:

- There's always the cafe scene

- The chase skateboard sequence is basically the same, just in the future

- The main characters mess once again with the time travel and need to fix it

and Back to the Future Part III should get bashed because:

- It repeats for the 3rd time the cafe scene (this time in a saloon)

- There's another chase scene (no skateboard this time)

- There's yet another big musical event like in all 3 films

- There' a final showdown between a flawed but good character and Tannen, like in BttF1

- The ending shot is the same, just the train instead of the flying car.

Yet I LOVE those movies, maybe EXACTLY because they have their own signatures and "cliches", and that's what makes them unique and feel more like they're a unique thing. No matter how many times Doc comes back saying they need to fix something from the future/past: that will always be a cool scene and what makes Back to the Future feel Back to the Future.

Also, people say it rehashes JP and at the same time they say they don't manage to consider FK a JP movie because it's too different.

Back to top Go down
#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2018 9:57 am

Because different does not always equal great. See The Last Jedi.

Back to top Go down
owenpratt
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2018 10:50 am

#TRexSpinorematch wrote:
Because different does not always equal great. See The Last Jedi.

I didn't like The Last Jedi, but I loved Fallen Kingdom. I think that the latter did better its job of innovating, bringing fresh ideas without hurting the past.

Back to top Go down
Spiegel
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus
Spiegel

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2018 11:11 am

Its full of plot holes

Creates new questions while answering none

It lacks character development

It has to back track and change the first movie to fit in with its plot despite Trevvorrow basically creating both movies

It throws 3 huge and different plot themes at you without finishing a single one

Its treated more like the public bus taking you from Stop 1 at Jurassic World to Stop 2 Jurassic World 3

Its got so much action it clearly wants to be a summer action, popcorn chomping flick

It didnt really live up to some of the promises it made (more dinosaurs than ever before, but only for like 20 seconds)

Its trying to compete with super hero movies with what they did with Blue

It relies on a viral marketing campaign to make up for a lack of script

Speaking of script, it feels like it was written by a 12 year old "Then a volcano goes off, then a carnotaurus attacks, then the trex ambushes the carnotuarus, then they fall of a cliff, then they're stuck in the gyrosphere."

I can keep going but I'm trying to be broad so we dont have to read a novel about it. Its a good movie, its not a good JP movie. I think that 50 percent its getting seems about right. While you may be able to say some of the same for any movie in any franchise, that's exactly why sequels dont generally own up to the original. Also, this isnt a sequel but the 5th movie in a series but it only kind of wants to acknowledge that, its like JP and its sequels are cousins that we dont always invite to the family reunion.

Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2018 11:43 am

If we're going to be totally honest, most casual audience members really don't give much of a shit about the lore in the same way that we do, not do they care about the lagoon inconsistencies, or any of the other inconsistencies.

What it really boils down to is how well the film was made. Bottom line is that the film is rushed and many of the characters weren't given a chance to develop properly. If this film, with all of its inconsistencies, smiling Indoraptors, heroic Rexes, crazy plot twists, were paced better (likely meaning an significant increase in the run time) and had more flushed out characters, the reviews and reception would be immensely improved.

With all of that being said, it's still an undeniably entertaining film with some genuinely cool and interesting scenes, which is the reason why the reviews, while not great, aren't completely awful either.

Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is Jpbann10
Back to top Go down
Spiegel
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus
Spiegel

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2018 11:57 am

Tyrant Lizard wrote:
If we're going to be totally honest, most casual audience members really don't give much of a shit about the lore in the same way that we do, not do they care about the lagoon inconsistencies, or any of the other inconsistencies.

What it really boils down to is how well the film was made. Bottom line is that the film is rushed and many of the characters weren't given a chance to develop properly. If this film, with all of its inconsistencies, smiling Indoraptors, heroic Rexes, crazy plot twists, were paced better (likely meaning an significant increase in the run time) and had more flushed out characters, the reviews and reception would be immensely improved.

With all of that being said, it's still an undeniably entertaining film with some genuinely cool and interesting scenes, which is the reason why the reviews, while not great, aren't completely awful either.

I absolutely agree

Dv-218
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
Dv-218

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2018 12:49 pm

I completely agree, movie wasn't perfect and could have been better, but I still found it immensly enjoyable to watch. I agree that the main issue is with the pacing and characters (although i found the letter aspect more tolerable than JW), and I think they should have really given more time to the character development, fleshing out the story and lore exploration.

However, there is a point that I do want to make- I know this might sound weird, but I think that rexy's supposed "heroism" is kinda exaggragated tbh. Even in JW with the kaiju-like final battle, she was brought by Claire out of her exhibit and she had no choice but to fight the I-rex. And the reason she did not go for blue or the group had nothing to do with her being friendly- she was tired/weak after a brutal battle with another large theropod.

Now, onto Fallen Kingdom, there's the entire opening scene where she was straight up hunting Jack-heck, she even tried to shake him off the ladder..
And while he did help the rest of the team to get the I rex bone which was sent to Mills, I don't think he's techincally a villain- he was just some random guy doing his job. Not to mention, there's nothing heroic about the way the scene plays out- rexy's reveal by thunder, the intense music and lighting give me more of a horror/intense vibe. I was actually happy the guy got away (untill the mosa decided he wanted to take a "bite" off the action lol).

Now I do agree that the rexy owning the carno scene felt kind of heroic (especially with the reprise from JW), but she was immediatly disturbed by the pyroclastic flow- so it's kinda hard for me to say here. I just thought that the entire carno-sino-rex scene was just dinosaurs acting nuts because of the eruption (some animals go crazy when natural catastrophes happen). But maybe i'm wrong on this lol, so you might aswell ignore this point.

And of course, there is the scene were she wakes up in the cage, in which she tries to snack on owen (but he defies her with Chris Pratt physics Very Happy).

And lastly, the ending where she eats mills- I agree this seemed way too heroic than it should be with the "open paddock 9" theme and the victory pose (although I admit, it was pretty awesome Very Happy), and the fact that she appeared out of nowhere to eat the VILLAIN just futhers that feeling. But then again, did she care who he is or knew his morality? She's just an animal after all.She was just getting out of the mansion and was probably hungry, and unfortunately Mills just happened to be the only human/living being on her way- so, she took advantage of that and chomped on him.

And then again, is it any different than the previous movies? The infamous deus rex machina (where she also appears absoulutely out of nowhere) with the raptors from JP aside, there is also the scene from TLW where the male T. rex and it's hatchling "play catch" with peter ludlow (and the novel where a similar thing happens to dodgson Very Happy).

Just to clarify, i'm not trying to defend the movie's flaws or anything- there's a fair amount to criticise here. I do agree that blue felt way too heroic and rexy's apperences were too random. But anyway, that could have been solved by a slightly longer pacing and better writing. I'm just saying that while the rexe's role is not the same as it was in the first 2 movies, I don't think they turned rexy into a superhero like some people claim.

EDIT: also, the juvenile rex mauling Ed Regis in the original novel. Basically, it seems like rexes were bringers of poetic justice in the franchise since the beginning lol Very Happy

Last edited by Dv-218 on Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:07 pm; edited 11 times in total
Back to top Go down
Robotpo
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
Robotpo

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2018 1:24 pm

I actually would argue it IS The Last Jedi of the franchise, (except TLJ generally got better reviews). I'm seeing a lot of fans saying that they're no longer interested in the franchise, it's worse than JP3, ETC. (Look at the reviews article at Jurassic Outpost for one thing).

The thing is, both TFA and JW were basically reboots that took few creative risks (if any). The only thing that felt fresh in JW IMO was the trained raptors, which alienated some people back in 2015. What felt fresh about TFA was...the Death Star had snow in it? I guess there's Finn, though a faceless automaton discovering his humanity was ripped off from another early Lucas movie, THX-1138.

Then along came TLJ and FK, which took more risks with the franchise, and challenged what SW or JP could be...and frankly, a lot of people didn't like it. I actually think TLJ is a pretty fun ride...if one can accept that Luke Skywalker is a homicidal failure, the good guys never win, and the fate of the galaxy is in the hands of some random lady they picked up in a junkyard. As a lapsed SW geek who's now an impartial observer due to the prequels and TFA, I thought TLJ was comparatively a better-made film and enjoyed it, even if it did piss off half the fanbase.

Likewise, JP/JW has always generally stuck to the same forumla - people on an island being menaced by dinosaurs. FK challenged this, and seemingly a lot of fans went, "Wait, what?! It's a disaster/gothic horror movie now, with dinosaurs as the victims, humans as the bad guys, and some bio-weapon hybrid chasing a little girl around a natural history museum? What is this bullshit"?! If one can accept that the Jurassic franchise is changing and trying new things, FK is probably much more appealing.

Admittedly, it doesn't help that neither TLJ or FK are perfect films, having some plot holes, contrivances and weird structuring as they do. If you already didn't like either film, that most likely exasperates a pre-existing negative reaction to them.
Back to top Go down
owenpratt
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2018 1:47 pm

Spiegel wrote:
Its full of plot holes

Creates new questions while answering none

1) It lacks character development

2) It has to back track and change the first movie to fit in with its plot despite Trevvorrow basically creating both movies

3) It throws 3 huge and different plot themes at you without finishing a single one

4) Its treated more like the public bus taking you from Stop 1 at Jurassic World to Stop 2 Jurassic World 3

5) Its got so much action it clearly wants to be a summer action, popcorn chomping flick

6) It didnt really live up to some of the promises it made (more dinosaurs than ever before, but only for like 20 seconds)

7) Its trying to compete with super hero movies with what they did with Blue

Cool It relies on a viral marketing campaign to make up for a lack of script

9) Speaking of script, it feels like it was written by a 12 year old "Then a volcano goes off, then a carnotaurus attacks, then the trex ambushes the carnotuarus, then they fall of a cliff, then they're stuck in the gyrosphere."

1) Owen from the beginning of the movie and Owen from the end of the movie is different. Claire as well has a subtle development (not as obvious as JW one). Maisie's journey that brings her to that final decision might be consider as her arc. But anyway, did Jurassic Park saga ever had brilliant character arcs, except maybe for Grant in JP and Claire in JW (which was even hated by some, for some reasons)? Hammond had an arc that took two movies to come full circle. Did Jurassic Park have super complex villains? Like, was Nedry anything more special than Mills?

2) For example? The opening scene I think it's justified since it would be easier to create a new hybrid from the bone directly. Claire caring for the dinosaurs was implied in JW when she cried over the dead Apatosaurus. The Indoraptor is the realization of Hoskin's words in JW.

3) The volcano plot got resolved (even in a great way, with that emotional scene); the auction scene brings to the dinosaurs being taken all over the world; Maisie being a clone brings to her final decision and to the fact genetic power has been unleashed and the ethical limits have been crossed (without counting how it restrospectively gives more backstory to John Hammond's character)

4) Mmm, it does also that but I think it has its own identity. I mean, "Empire Strikes Back" takes you from EpIV to EpVI but it also has its own identity..?

5) Well, it is a summer blockbuster like all JP movies were at the time they got released. But it also has some deep ethic controversial stuff and animalistic messages, just like JP or TLW.

6) I actually think FK showed the most various range of dinosaurs of all the franchise. It added Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Stigymoloch, Indoraptor, Sinoceratops, all with lovely and various colors/designs. There are also carnivore vs herbivores fights, massive stampede sequences, they're treated like animals (except for the few "heroic" moments, that I might agree with).

7) What?

8 ) The viral marketing would be there even with an Oscar-worthy script. I agree that they should have added just like 30-60 seconds screentime just to clarify a few things without hurting the pacing or whatever. That said, while flawed, I found the script to be at least very interesting on a deeper level, despite plot holes here and there (which both films like JW or TLW had)

9) I think that the purpose was to make a long massive action set piece that starts with Owen vs lava and ends with the underwater gyrosphere tracking shot. If you try to enjoy that, it is probably one of the most entertaining action-packed sequences you might witness in these last few years. Also, I think Mad Max: Fury Road would be written by a 12 years old since it's just one long 90 minutes desert chase..? Also, Bayona directed these sequences, and they are great-looking.

Yeah, I loved this movie and I'd really be so happy if more people could see the beauty I see in it lol

Back to top Go down
Bionic
Hatchling
Hatchling
Bionic

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2018 2:20 pm

How is Owen different at the end of the movie? Or Claire?
In fact it ends exactly the same as the before. At the end of JW they were kinda in some sort of relationship after the couldn't stand each other. Then inbetween films the broke up for some weird reason (explaining it for the audience in a dreadful dialogue) and then at the end if FK they are together again and again it's because of the events of the film. Blue also departs Owen just like in the previous film (and she saved their asses again)

I think he also meant that the mosasaur paddock all of a sudden has a connection to the sea.
And i think it would have been more realistic if Owen were the one to lead the DPG. I mean he was the one who had to explain to Claire that these were not just assets but rather animals with actual feelings. It's kinda baffling that he would leave Blue to die. It seems so out of character when compared to the previous film.

Did the volcano plot really get resolved? We never see a full shot of the whole island really being destroyed. Did all the dinsoaurs in the water drown? Would have been nice to see the ruins of the park getting smoked.

No it's not its ow film due to feeling like it crammed two if not 3 different movies into a 2h and 9 minutes runtime. Thus making the events of the plot feel very forced to get from A to B to C...

You didn't get 7)? Well Blue is kinda like a superhero (i can't believe that this movie doesn't have a velociraptor that is actually menacing. And they really overdid it with Owen. First he narrowly escapes the lava, then almost outruns a pyroclastic flow, then it catches up to him and he is just fine ( it would have smoked all his flesh in reality), then he jumps from a cliff God knows how high, then he gets Claire and Franklin out from the gyrosphere, then he jumps through Rexy's jaws, then he takes out 20 guys like it's nothing,....seriously?? It just wouldn't end. You never feel like is in any danger because he is basically Star Lord here.

I don't need a lot more dinosaurs when you only see them for a few seconds. Instead focus longer on fewer species.
And yeah the plotholes are way more prominent with this entry and it's probably due to the plot jumping from setpiece to setpiece.
There were some followup errors. Didnt Owen actually burn his hand in the lava? It's never mentioned again.
Didn't one of the bullets that Owen fired at the gyrosphere actually hit his shoulder? It's never mentioned again.
Didn't the Indoraptor injure Claire's leg? It's never mentioned again.
And Blue is perfectly fine after she wakes up from her surgery.
Back to top Go down
Robotpo
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
Robotpo

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2018 2:49 pm

Bionic wrote:
No it's not its ow  film due to feeling like it crammed two if not 3 different movies into a 2h and 9 minutes runtime. Thus making the events of the plot feel very forced to get from A to B to C...

It's really the same movie, in three locations. First the dinosaurs are on the island, then they're taken on the ship, then they're in the mansion where there's a new hybrid. It's all following the journey of the Isla Nublar dinosaurs, from being in the ruins of the park to being in various places around the modern world.

The second time I saw it, I felt the film did kind-of move in jerks-and-starts (much like TLW), where there's less than perfect structure, but I really didn't mind it in either film.
Back to top Go down
owenpratt
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2018 3:19 pm

Bionic wrote:

1) How is Owen different at the end of the movie? Or Claire?
In fact it ends exactly the same as the before. At the end of JW they were kinda in some sort of relationship after the couldn't stand each other. Then inbetween films the broke up for some weird reason (explaining it for the audience in a dreadful dialogue) and then at the end if FK they are together again and again it's because of the events of the film. Blue also departs Owen just like in the previous film (and she saved their asses again)

2) I think he also meant that the mosasaur paddock all of a sudden has a connection to the sea.
And i think it would have been more realistic if Owen were the one to lead the DPG. I mean he was the one who had to explain to Claire that these were not just assets but rather animals with actual feelings. It's kinda baffling that he would leave Blue to die. It seems so out of character when compared to the previous film.

3) Did the volcano plot really get resolved? We never see a full shot of the whole island really being destroyed. Did all the dinsoaurs in the water drown? Would have been nice to see the ruins of the park getting smoked.

4) No it's not its own film due to feeling like it crammed two if not 3 different movies into a 2h and 9 minutes runtime. Thus making the events of the plot feel very forced to get from A to B to C...

5) You didn't get 7)? Well Blue is kinda like a superhero (i can't believe that this movie doesn't have a velociraptor that is actually menacing. And they really overdid it with Owen. First he narrowly escapes the lava, then almost outruns a pyroclastic flow, then it catches up to him and he is just fine ( it would have smoked all his flesh in reality), then he jumps from a cliff God knows how high, then he gets Claire and Franklin out from the gyrosphere, then he jumps through Rexy's jaws, then he takes out 20 guys like it's nothing,....seriously?? It just wouldn't end. You never feel like is in any danger because he is basically Star Lord here.

6) I don't need a lot more dinosaurs when you only see them for a few seconds. Instead focus longer on fewer species.

7) And yeah the plotholes are way more prominent with this entry and it's probably due to the plot jumping from setpiece to setpiece.
There were some followup errors. Didnt Owen actually burn his hand in the lava? It's never mentioned again.
Didn't one of the bullets that Owen fired at the gyrosphere actually hit his shoulder? It's never mentioned again.
Didn't the Indoraptor injure Claire's leg? It's never mentioned again.
And Blue is perfectly fine after she wakes up from her surgery.

1) Owen at the beginning of FK clearly doesn't want to deal with his past, he just wants to forget everything that happened 3 years ago and go on with beer and pool, pretending even to himself not to care about Blue or the dinosaurs. His conversation with Claire gets him to watch the baby Blue footage and hence he decides to take his responsibilities and face his daemons. In JW and also at the beginning of FK he's the kind of guy who won't admit his faults and think he's always doing the right thing, he's a bit arrogant even. In the prison scene he finally recognizes his faults, and how mindless he was in starting a research without thinking of the consequences. By deciding to take his responsibilities, he also doesn't have a problem in getting together with Claire again and basically adopting a young clone child, choosing to take care of her and his responsibilities in general. The character is definitely more mature at the end of FK than he was in JW.

About the reasons he broke up with Claire between JW and FK, I can assure you it's a common thing that couples manage to go through big difficult times, and then break up for the silliest and most little reasons. It actually is damn realistic. Now Owen and Claire are more mature though, and they have adopted a kid, which is a big responsibility and should make their bond stronger, avoiding to split up for silly stuff this time around.

Blue departs Owen because she doesn't want to get back to the cage. She wants to be free, despite Owen "asking" her to stay with them. In Jurassic World it was quite the opposite, with Blue looking at Owen and the group, and Owen "asking" her to go free.

2) Oh yes. Well, Colin Trevorrow admitted it was a mistake he wasn't able in time to fix. I think Bayona wanted a longer opening sequence, but that brought to the plot hole. But, I mean, there was a very similar mistake in the JP T-Rex breakout scene, but I personally don't care much if it's one of the best sequences of the franchise. Claire being in charge of the DPG is much more realistic than Owen due to her personality: she's always is the boss of something (Jurassic World manager, DPG president), and Owen really wouldn't fit that role, being more like a loner. You can clearly see Owen being attached to Blue (by watching those videos at night), but he's not an "enterprising" person like Claire. He probably was afflicted by the 2015 events and just decided to let it go.

3) You can see the island being basically destroyed. The dinosaurs who were in the water? Some might have died, some might have survived. Did we really need to see the fate of each of those dinosaurs in the water? Also, I expected as well to see like the JP visitor center or so to be destroyed on screen (Although at least we saw the jeep being covered by lava), but thinking about that now, it would have been sooo predictable (it's what everyone, me included, expected to see). And c'mon, that Brachiosaurus scene is just much more original, poetic and heart-breaking than any other option.

4) I actually really don't have a problem with that. I felt it like one solid film, with a start, a central part, and an ending. I mean, much better than setting all the movie on the island again. And MUCH better than making a movie of 120 mins with 100 mins on the island and only the last 20 mins on mainland like TLW.

5) I agree about Owen. It really didn't bother me much personally, but I can't deny Owen is like a superhero sometimes.

6) I was personally satisfied with the Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Stigymoloch and Indoraptor scenes. Also, it's not a 180 mins film, so you just can't give a lot of screentime for each species. Also, blame it on the trailers who basically shown 3/4 of each species scenes.

7) The lava clearly didn't hurt much Owen, so it wasn't needed to be talked about again... but yeah, superhero Owen again here. Unless he didn't actually touch the lava, but I should re-watch the scene.
I think underwater the gun was hit by a fire ball, not his hand..?
Owen says Claire's injury wasn't sever (although I think it should have been, I can give you that) and put a cloth over her leg. But she probably is still be able to walk, so why talking about it again?
Yeah, I was surprised Blue was perfectly fine after the surgery in such a short time, but I think it might be possible somehow.

EDIT:

I forgot to talk about Claire in point 1).
She begins FK by just wanting to save the dinosaurs, and just like Owen she thinks she can handle this and control the situation after Mills talks to her about the rescue mission. She realizes how fool she were and admitted her faults, at how those animals (she calls them "Miracle") are now in peril and to be sold because of her. She trusted the wrong people thinking she had the situation in control. In the end, she has the power to really save the dinosaurs, but she does not. If dinosaurs get free and cause damages or eat people, it's her fault basically. So she kinda rejects her own life mission, realizes she's the one who indirectly led the dinosaurs in that gas chamber, and decides not to push that button (also kinda giving reason to Mills when he told her about her idealism full of hypocrisy). In the end of course Maisie pushes the button, due to her being like the dinosaurs, a clone.
Claire, like Owen, in the end decides to take her responsibilities as well, and sure thing she's now different than she was at the beginning of FK. She definitely learned more than one lesson and realized she will have to redeem herself (Colin Trevorrow said that JW3 will talk about redemption indeed).

Back to top Go down
Bionic
Hatchling
Hatchling
Bionic

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2018 3:51 pm

Well the runtime is another problem. This film clearly needed at least 30 extra minutes.
And like said in some earlier posts the humor really bothered me most of the time since it killed the suspense in some scenes and tonally it just doesn't match with the more horror like parts of the film. The extreme tonal clashes were quite an issue for me.
3) well this is probably nitpicking but I could clearly see some of the poor things trying to stay afloat. Since the first book already tells how some managed to migrate to the mainland this could have been an opportunity to show how some escape death by reaching some of the other islands or maybe even the mainland (120 miles in the water is quite a distance though)
Back to top Go down
Lost
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
Lost

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2018 3:56 pm

Things I liked about Fallen Kingdom:

-The indoraptor
-The mansion as a setpiece, complete with rain and darkness
-Very good camera work/direction
-The awesome beginning
-How the ending opens up for a potentially mindblowing sequel

Things I disliked:

-Rehashing The Lost World to the extreme
-Too many boring scenes in the middle (this is a great sin to me in JP movie)
-Extremely annoying supporting characters (Zia and Franklin)
-Rushing certain interesting scenes while uninteresting ones dragged on

It didn't leave me feeling happy, it was very bleak (and I don't mean at the mansion, I enjoyed that part) and at times, sadly, a bit dull. JP3 is by no means a great movie, but to me it was actually more entertaining as a whole.
Back to top Go down
Lost
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
Lost

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2018 5:19 pm

Also, I'm getting tired of friendly pet raptors and t-rexes who love to save humans. Time to bring back the danger in these two star species from JP (I'm couting on you, JW3).
Back to top Go down
Bionic
Hatchling
Hatchling
Bionic

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2018 5:25 pm

Quote :

Things I liked about Fallen Kingdom:

-The indoraptor
-The mansion as a setpiece, complete with rain and darkness
-Very good camera work/direction
-The awesome beginning
-How the ending opens up for a potentially mindblowing sequel

Things I disliked:

-Rehashing The Lost World to the extreme
-Too many boring scenes in the middle (this is a great sin to me in JP movie)
-Extremely annoying supporting characters (Zia and Franklin)
-Rushing certain interesting scenes while uninteresting ones dragged on

It didn't leave me feeling happy, it was very bleak (and I don't mean at the mansion, I enjoyed that part) and at times, sadly, a bit dull. JP3 is by no means a great movie, but to me it was actually more entertaining as a whole.

Yep I agree, unfortunately. The good parts were rushed and the bad parts were too long. I was actually shocked at how bored I felt in the middle especially after the breathtacking opening sequence. I already said the bloodtransfusion scene should have been a peak in suspense and not a comedic scene. That was a huge mistake.
Zia and Franklin need to go, they were just awful. People complain about Amanda Kirby and her constant screaming but these characters are just as bad if not even worse.
I like some parts about the Indoraptor. But it would have been even more interesting if it had escaped the mansion and maybe terrorized a nearby town. What was just off was the laser tracking making that movie even less feel like JP and more like some weird Resident Evil Dinosaurs. As a matter of fact (for those wondering about the bad reviews) the whole dinosaurs for military use is one of the sideplots from the previous film that many peole hoped would be dropped. Since it became the mainplot in FK it's turning people off because it's just too ridiculous.

Also weird: how did neither Lockwood, nor Iris (is she the only person working for him in this huge building?), nor Maisie notice what was going on at the basement level? The whole work in the labs, Mills preparing the auction and all that....

And yeah no more friendly raptors and Trex saving people from other dinosaurs. That's not why people and fans go to see the films.
Back to top Go down
Lost
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
Lost

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2018 5:34 pm

Yeah. I've watched every JP movie in the cinema (I was 10 years old in 1993) and this is the first time I've felt bored. That is my main gripe with this movie. How do you make a JP movie boring? TLW was dark, but not boring. There were two really interesting scenes in this movie, the volcanic eruption and the indoraptor in the mansion. Everything in between either felt like it ripped off (or should I say "paid homage to") The Lost World or it was just dull. Really disappointing in that regard (and I say that as someone who was really psyched for this movie).

EDIT: Also, if we're going to continue hearing and seeing more about Blue in JW3 then I suggest changing the title to "Blurassic World" so that people know what to expect.
Back to top Go down
owenpratt
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2018 6:01 pm

I found FK to be one of the most entertaining of the franchise actually. I like TLW but now THAT one was a bit boring a few times (but still entertaining in general).

I think I just will never understand some of your points lol which I think it's good for me, since I enjoyed the film and I'm happy about this.

Back to top Go down
Lost
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
Lost

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2018 6:07 pm

For the record, I found the beginning of the movie and the indoraptor scenes to be some of the best and most thrilling in the franchise, I just wish the movie hadn't sagged so much in between those. But that's just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
owenpratt
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is Icon_minitimeMon Jun 25, 2018 6:12 pm

We agree on two things at least lol but I honestly loved also the parts between those two things. I just found almost every scene in the movie to be quite cool and meaningful.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is   Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Analyzing the why behind the backlash of Fallen Kingdom and how valid it is
Page 1 of 10Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next