Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies??

Go down 
+9
V.a.nublarensis
Amadieus
Physalisfresser
Dilophosaurus
TheDreamMaster
Troyal1
1morey
Dead2009
Rhedosaurus
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies?? Empty
PostSubject: Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies??   Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies?? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2018 6:51 pm

I have thought about this for some time.

When JP came out, their was Prehysteria and Carnosaur franchises, Super Mario Bros. (yes, this is also a dinosaur movie), and other dinosaur documentaries. And Godzilla.

With this new trilogy, the only competition it has is Godzilla and...that's it. It's basically a competitive duopoly

I ask because I've been wondering how much money this new franchise would make if Godzilla wasn't the only competitor in town. For example, how much would JW or JW:FK would make make if a Peter Jackson made remake of 'The Lost World' or 'Valley of Gwangi' or any umade Ray Harryhausen or Willis O'Brien (The Ghost Of Slumber Mountain, the original 1925 version of TLW and King Kong) was released a month or 2 sooner or a year before.

To a certain degree, I'm including JP3 in this too, since dino-maina seems to have gone out a few months after Sue was revealed in the Chicago Field Museum back in 2000. And that JP3 was the only dinosaur movie that came out in 2001.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies??   Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies?? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2018 8:31 pm

Carnosaur wasnt even on Jurassic Park's radar at the time. It was a low budget, straight to DVD movie with terrible CGI. Also, in order for something to come along and challenge Jurassic Park/World, it would have to be straight up horror and have good writing and good acting. The Lost World and Godzilla '98 were a year apart, if TLW would have released a year later, it would of destroyed Godzilla at the box office.

Back to top Go down
1morey
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
1morey

PostSubject: Re: Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies??   Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies?? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2018 10:14 pm

Dead2009 wrote:
Carnosaur wasnt even on Jurassic Park's radar at the time. It was a low budget, straight to DVD movie with terrible CGI. Also, in order for something to come along and challenge Jurassic Park/World, it would have to be straight up horror and have good writing and good acting. The Lost World and Godzilla '98 were a year apart, if TLW would have released a year later, it would of destroyed Godzilla at the box office.

To be fair, Carnosaur didn't even use CGI, just puppets, and a very low budget animatronic. And it was straight-to-VHS, DVD format for films weren't produced in the US until 1997.
Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies??   Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies?? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2018 11:06 pm

I believe that Spielberg made such a good dinosaur movie that literally everyone and anyone was nervous to make a big budget Dino flick. Like I can just imagine a bunch of producers looking at Dino related projects and saying “we will be looked at as a poor mans JP”.

And of course I mean traditional dinosaurs that are live action. I really wish people would get out of this mindset. Personally one of my biggest gripes with FK was that I thought it felt a bit resident evil/ Dino crisis.

Thing is, I would be first in line to see a film like that on a decent budget. Bring them on.
Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies??   Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies?? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2018 11:54 pm

Taking out the hybrid angle of the past two films, I think there's a different feeling to dinosaurs. First off, Jurassic Park set the bar high, and I think no matter what, people are seeing them every time in hopes of feeling like they did with that first film. Secondly, dinosaurs were real, so seeing something not branded by the Sci-Fi channel, but not educational like on the Discovery Channel, makes them a little more interested. I think from those of us who loved dinosaurs as kids, that still do, and even for some that don't hold that fascination as adults, somewhat getting to see these things that were once real, look real again on screen draws a lot of people.

"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
Dilophosaurus
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
Dilophosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies??   Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies?? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2018 4:25 am

I've always found it strange how few dinosaur movies there are, but it's always been like that. It's not like the JP trilogy had more competition that the JW trilogy. If anything the JW trilogy has more competition.

Really the only live action mainstream dinosaur/prehistoric creature movies to come out since 1993 have been Jurassic Park (1993), The Lost World (1997), Godzilla (1998), Jurassic Park 3 (2001), King Kong (2005), Godzilla (2014), Jurassic World (2015), Kong: Skull Island (2017) and Fallen Kingdom (2018).

Upcoming we have The Meg (2018), Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019), Godzilla vs. Kong (2020) and Jurassic World 3 (2021).
Back to top Go down
Physalisfresser
Hatchling
Hatchling
Physalisfresser

PostSubject: Re: Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies??   Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies?? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2018 5:05 am

Dilophosaurus wrote:
I've always found it strange how few dinosaur movies there are, but it's always been like that. It's not like the JP trilogy had more competition that the JW trilogy. If anything the JW trilogy has more competition.

Really the only live action mainstream dinosaur/prehistoric creature movies to come out since 1993 have been Jurassic Park (1993), The Lost World (1997), Godzilla (1998), Jurassic Park 3 (2001), King Kong (2005), Godzilla (2014), Jurassic World (2015), Kong: Skull Island (2017) and Fallen Kingdom (2018).

Upcoming we have The Meg (2018), Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019), Godzilla vs. Kong (2020) and Jurassic World 3 (2021).

To be fair, there is not a single DInosaur in Kong Skull Island, one of the main reasons I haven't watched the movie
Back to top Go down
Dilophosaurus
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
Dilophosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies??   Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies?? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2018 6:32 am

Physalisfresser wrote:
Dilophosaurus wrote:

To be fair, there is not a single DInosaur in Kong Skull Island, one of the main reasons I haven't watched the movie

Yeah, no actual dinosaurs are seen (although they do exist on the island) but I included it because of the prehistoric-style creatures that are featured such as the skullcrawlers, which could easily be a heavily evolved form of dinosaur.

But I don't blame you for not seeing the movie, Peter Jackson's King Kong is so much better in every way. I have the artbook, A Natural History of Skull Island by Weta Digital, and the amount of detail that went into creating Skull Island for that movie is just unbelievable. They created a full ecosystem of amazing and realistic creatures (many of which are not even featured in the movie). The island and creatures shown in K:SI are just disappointing in comparison.
Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies??   Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies?? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2018 7:23 am

Dilophosaurus wrote:

The Meg's a shark movie though.

Back to top Go down
Dilophosaurus
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
Dilophosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies??   Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies?? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2018 7:42 am

Dead2009 wrote:
Dilophosaurus wrote:

The Meg's a shark movie though.

Yeah but it's also a giant prehistoric creature movie so I think it has some overlap with the type of movies this thread is referring to.

The later books in the series are basically an aquatic version of Jurassic Park, especially Hell's Aquarium.

If we're talking purely about dinosaurs, then it would just be the Jurassic movies and King Kong 2005.
Back to top Go down
Amadieus
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies??   Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies?? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2018 8:13 am

It is the same with games. Besides some indie projects there are almost no games that features dinosaurs. I would do almost anything for an open world dino survival game, or perhaps something like Alien: Isolation
Back to top Go down
V.a.nublarensis
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
V.a.nublarensis

PostSubject: Re: Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies??   Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies?? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2018 10:31 am

Dilophosaurus wrote:

I honestly think R-rated creature features like the Alien/Predator franchise also counts as competition.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies??   Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies?? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2018 5:52 pm

V.a.nublarensis wrote:
Dilophosaurus wrote:

I honestly think R-rated creature features like the Alien/Predator franchise also counts as competition.

Uh...No. None of those properties have any dinosaurs or any prehistoric animals that are main characters. You can not compare the two genres.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies??   Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies?? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2018 12:45 am

The Prehysteria films aren't really comparable, since the dinosaurs are extremely miniaturized, removing the "monster movie" element. The Carnosaur films are B movies, and chances are that if you asked any random person on the street, they wouldn't consider Super Mario to be a dinosaur film.

So no, JP really didn't have any real competition in terms of other dinosaur films. And if we are considering those previously mentioned films, we can certainly consider The Good Dinosaur, Godzilla and Kong competition as well.

Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies?? Jpbann10
Back to top Go down
V.a.nublarensis
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
V.a.nublarensis

PostSubject: Re: Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies??   Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies?? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2018 1:51 am

Rhedosaurus wrote:

Uh...No. None of those properties have any dinosaurs or any prehistoric animals that are main characters. You can not compare the two genres.
They don't, but they do share the same basic formula of running away from creatures that can kill you in 5 seconds. Besides that, they have things like intelligent beasts, weaponization of dangerous creatures, hybrids, and how vital it is that they don't come into contact with civilization.
Back to top Go down
Physalisfresser
Hatchling
Hatchling
Physalisfresser

PostSubject: Re: Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies??   Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies?? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2018 6:00 pm

Dilophosaurus wrote:
Physalisfresser wrote:
Dilophosaurus wrote:

Yeah, no actual dinosaurs are seen (although they do exist on the island) but I included it because of the prehistoric-style creatures that are featured such as the skullcrawlers, which could easily be a heavily evolved form of dinosaur.

But I don't blame you for not seeing the movie, Peter Jackson's King Kong is so much better in every way. I have the artbook, A Natural History of Skull Island by Weta Digital, and the amount of detail that went into creating Skull Island for that movie is just unbelievable. They created a full ecosystem of amazing and realistic creatures (many of which are not even featured in the movie). The island and creatures shown in K:SI are just disappointing in comparison.

I do agree with you and I have the book, too. One of the best books I have ever bought.

To be honest, Jurassic World didn't really trigger a second dinosaur renaissance, at least not in the scale Jurasssic Park did.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies??   Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies?? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2018 6:07 pm

Physalisfresser wrote:
Dilophosaurus wrote:
Physalisfresser wrote:
Dilophosaurus wrote:

I do agree with you and I have the book, too. One of the best books I have ever bought.

To be honest, Jurassic World didn't really trigger a second dinosaur renaissance, at least not in the scale Jurasssic Park did.

To be fair, JP was part of the first dinosaur renaissance and if anything else, helped extend it's lifespan.

Back to top Go down
Bionic
Hatchling
Hatchling
Bionic

PostSubject: Re: Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies??   Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies?? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2018 3:12 am

How's everyone forgetting about Disney's Dinosaur (2000)?
That's a pretty good film, yeah it's rather kid friendly but well made and I actually kinda prefer the Carnotaurus designs over the one from FK.

And yeah I sometimes wonder why there are not more dinosaur-centered films but then again the problem here is probably how do you come up with a reason for dinos and humans to interact that's not too outlandish or unbelievable?
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies??   Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies?? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2018 12:50 pm

Bionic wrote:
That's a pretty good film, yeah it's rather kid friendly but well made and I actually kinda prefer the Carnotaurus designs over the one from FK.

And yeah I sometimes wonder why there are not more dinosaur-centered films but then again the problem here is probably how do you come up with a reason for dinos and humans to interact that's not too outlandish or unbelievable?

I was never a big fan of Disney's Dinosaur.

As for new dinosaur movies, the best way to do so would be to have Peter Jackson remake some of Ray Harryhausen's or Willis O'Brien's movies: The Lost World, Valley Of Gwangi, etc. He can even make some of their lost projects a la Creation.

Back to top Go down
1morey
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
1morey

PostSubject: Re: Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies??   Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies?? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2018 8:00 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Bionic wrote:

As for new dinosaur movies, the best way to do so would be to have Peter Jackson remake some of Ray Harryhausen's or Willis O'Brien's movies: The Lost World, Valley Of Gwangi, etc. He can even make some of their lost projects a la Creation.

Be prepared for three hour theatrical releases, with a 3.5 hour extended edition on home video. I don't think Peter Jackson knows how to make a movie that isn't ridiculously long.

Granted, I really enjoyed King Kong, but a lot of the Venture scenes could have been trimmed down, and actually wrap up Jimmy's story arc, plus add a few scenes so it didn't just jump straight to New York.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies??   Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies?? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2018 12:07 pm

1morey wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
Bionic wrote:

Be prepared for three hour theatrical releases, with a 3.5 hour extended edition on home video. I don't think Peter Jackson knows how to make a movie that isn't ridiculously long.

Granted, I really enjoyed King Kong, but a lot of the Venture scenes could have been trimmed down, and actually wrap up Jimmy's story arc, plus add a few scenes so it didn't just jump straight to New York.

As long as it's a good movie that's faithful, then that's fine by me.

Back to top Go down
Raptor_Guard999
Embryo
Embryo
Raptor_Guard999

PostSubject: Re: Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies??   Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies?? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2018 1:52 am

I would consider competition to the JP films not just other films with dinosaurs, but any films featuring heavily on exotic dinosaur-esque creatures. (Godzilla I do not consider to be an actual dinosaur but he is dino-esque). The big one that comes to mind is James Cameron's Avatar. He is making sequels, so depending on when the first Avatar sequel is released it could compete directly with JW3.
Back to top Go down
1morey
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
1morey

PostSubject: Re: Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies??   Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies?? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2018 5:08 am

Raptor_Guard999 wrote:
I would consider competition to the JP films not just other films with dinosaurs, but any films featuring heavily on exotic dinosaur-esque creatures. (Godzilla I do not consider to be an actual dinosaur but he is dino-esque). The big one that comes to mind is James Cameron's Avatar. He is making sequels, so depending on when the first Avatar sequel is released it could compete directly with JW3.

Avatar 2 releases December 2020, so JW3 will be fine. Avatar 3 releases December of 2021, again, JW3 will be fine. Unless there are any MCU or DCEU films set to release in 2021, there doesn't look to be any competition for JW3, even Indiana Jones 5 doesn't come out till a month after.

And, in all honesty, I don't have high hopes for the Avatar sequels. I didn't think the first one was that great storytelling wise, and even the creature and environment design wasn't anything that wowed me.

Interstellar, Arrival, and Annihilation all imo had more intriguing environment and creature designs (robot design for Interstellar).
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies??   Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies?? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2018 8:54 am

Raptor_Guard999 wrote:
(Godzilla I do not consider to be an actual dinosaur but he is dino-esque).

In the Heisei and parts of the 2000's series, he is a dinosaur. And at the start of Godzilla 2014, he is heavily implied to be one.

Back to top Go down
Dv-218
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
Dv-218

PostSubject: Re: Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies??   Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies?? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2018 9:40 am

^Wasn't it implied that Legenday Godzilla is from a species much older than the dinosaurs? They say in the movie he's from an ancient, bygone era that had much higher levels of radiation, along with the MUTO's.

Either way, I don't think that Godzilla is really a competition for Jurassic. Not only are they two different types of movies, but their release dates are pretty far off from eachother, which means there's no direct conflict between them. Considering GvK comes out in 2020, JW3 should definitely be fine. Not to mention, Godzilla is not really viewed by the general public as a dinosaur movie- but as a giant monster movie. Granted, JW definitely blurred the line with the hybrids and I have seen people complaining about that, but they still make the distinction between them and giant monsters/kaiju. In general, it seems that JP/JW is definitely the only high quality, big budget dinosaur movie franchise as of now. Most other dinosaur movies right now are either low budget syfy cashgrabs (ala "jurassic games") or kid movies. I wonder-what if the status of the franchise makes people scared to try to compete with it?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies??   Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is the JW series having an advantage due to lack of competition of other dinosaur movies??
Page 1 of 1