Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later

Go down 
+19
Megaspino2
Dr. Wu
Troyal1
Megatronus Rex
#TRexSpinorematch
JVM
Sickle_Claw
Pachyrhinosaurus
TRK/TrexKing
Spiegel
Bionic
Trexbreakout
Aegyptiacus3
Island Queen
Robotpo
dance2nite
Tyrant Lizard
TyrannosaurTJ
Rhedosaurus
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later   Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2019 12:38 pm

Tyrant Lizard wrote:
So Manos: The Hands of Fate and Disaster Movie tried while Fallen Kingdom didn't?

To a degree, yes. Not only that, but at least those 2 movies had nothing of worth to damage. And Manos barely had a badget. With the JP franchise, I expect FAR more.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later   Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2019 4:13 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
To a degree, yes. Not only that, but at least those 2 movies had nothing of worth to damage. And Manos barely had a badget. With the JP franchise, I expect FAR more.

I can understand the bolded for sure, but the suggestion that somehow something like Disaster Movie or Birdemic 'tried harder' than FK is baffling and, quite frankly, objectively wrong. For all of it's faults, and it does have many, FK does as least try, which is more than I can say for something like JP3, which is so inconsequential that it could be removed from the canon entirely and nobody would notice.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later - Page 2 Jpbann10
Back to top Go down
TyrannosaurTJ
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
TyrannosaurTJ

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later   Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2019 4:22 pm

Looking at it structurally is that both TLW and FK have a lot of common ground and shared story elements in it. Those most are that both go to the island to do something with the dinosaurs tied to saving them or having an angle of conservation for them (preserve/document and move to a safe island), there's a plan to take the dinosaurs off the island that goes awry (Ludlow/InGen Hunters desire for JP San Diego and the camp sabotage from Nick and Sarah/Wheatley and crew doing the ol' switharoo from Sanctuary to Lockwood's estate for the auction), both deal with the concept of the dinosaurs coming to the mainland for less than honorable motivations as greed is always the central theme of the films. For this we have the T. rex in San Diego and dinosaurs being auctioned at the Lockwood estate and thereby going open-source, and both feature the dinosaurs on the mainland causing chaos to some degree (San Diego Incident, Sequence with the Indoraptor somewhat, and the ending of FK with all the dinosaurs free-roaming practically.

To hate one is basically to hate both though in the base structure of either film.

"So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again." - Corrax Entry 7:17
Back to top Go down
http://www.jurassic-pedia.com/
Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later   Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2019 4:45 pm

TyrannosaurTJ wrote:
Looking at it structurally is that both TLW and FK have a lot of common ground and shared story elements in it. Those most are that both go to the island to do something with the dinosaurs tied to saving them or having an angle of conservation for them (preserve/document and move to a safe island), there's a plan to take the dinosaurs off the island that goes awry (Ludlow/InGen Hunters desire for JP San Diego and the camp sabotage from Nick and Sarah/Wheatley and crew doing the ol' switharoo from Sanctuary to Lockwood's estate for the auction), both deal with the concept of the dinosaurs coming to the mainland for less than honorable motivations as greed is always the central theme of the films. For this we have the T. rex in San Diego and dinosaurs being auctioned at the Lockwood estate and thereby going open-source, and both feature the dinosaurs on the mainland causing chaos to some degree (San Diego Incident, Sequence with the Indoraptor somewhat, and the ending of FK with all the dinosaurs free-roaming practically.

To hate one is basically to hate both though in the base structure of either film.

To sort of jump ship towards the other side of the debate for a moment, the structuring of both TLW and FK are reasons why they both lose marks in my book. I never really cared for the San Diego sequence in TLW all that much. Going from Isla Sorna to the mainland for the final act always did hit me as a pretty jarring shift in tone and setting, and it did kinda take me out of the film to an extent. Not enough for it to kill my overall enjoyment of the film, but enough to knock it down a peg or so in my book. With that said, the San Diego sequence only accounts for the final act of the film, and everything that came before the final act was excellent imho.

For me FK suffers from the same problem, only with the negatives amplified. Instead of a jarring tonal shift for the final act of the film, we get a jarring tonal shift for the entire second half of the film, and I just don't feel that the second half of FK was able to pick up any sort of momentum, nor did I feel it accomplished it's goal in creating tension or atmosphere. Tonally, it hit me as less like the kitchen sequence in JP and more like a Resident Evil film imho.

My point is that in emulating some of the structural elements of TLW, I feel like FK took some of the worst elements of TLW and amplified them to the Nth degree.

Back to top Go down
Robotpo
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
Robotpo

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later   Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2019 5:02 pm

I felt the same way, only about JW - its trying to be both a reboot/remake and a sequel, plus mixing goofy sitcom humor and characters with mostly bloodless, slick violence just made it seem like it was lurching from being one movie to another for two hours.

I also can't stand how JP3 just SLAMS to a halt after 90-or-so minutes, thought if they had moved the last Raptor scene to before the boat attack and let THAT be the climax, (as in the earlier script), it would have been less jarring IMO.
Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later   Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2019 5:23 pm

I felt the opposite about JW. It hit me as an exhilarating ride from beginning to end. A film that grabs you by the scruff of the neck and never lets you go. I can see how one could make the argument that it goes at too brisk a pace, and I'd agree with that sentiment to a point, but I don't feel as though the pacing is jarring in the slightest. I feel like JW actually flows pretty seamlessly into itself, hence why the big final battle at the end of the film actually feels earned imho.

Believe it or not, I actually think JP3 is paced pretty well too. No real jarring tonal shifts, no point where the film loses momentum. It's actually one of the few things the film does well. But yeah, the ending just comes out of nowhere and the raptor scene really is an anti-climax. The Spino boat scene (minus the Barney) would have definitely made for a much better climax.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later   Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 19, 2019 11:32 pm

Tyrant Lizard wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

I can understand the bolded for sure, but the suggestion that somehow something like Disaster Movie or Birdemic 'tried harder' than FK is baffling and, quite frankly, objectively wrong. For all of it's faults, and it does have many, FK does as least try, which is more than I can say for something like JP3, which is so inconsequential that it could be removed from the canon entirely and nobody would notice.

I guess that so much of the movie was so bad to me, that the issues it raised were outright lost on me. Even you yourself said when I first commented on it that "it tried to be smarter, but failed to do so in a way that felt half-baked". Or something like that.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later   Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 20, 2019 1:47 am

Rhedosaurus wrote:
I guess that so much of the movie was so bad to me, that the issues it raised were outright lost on me. Even you yourself said when I first commented on it that "it tried to be smarter, but failed to do so in a way that felt half-baked". Or something like that.

Can't remember what I said exactly, but the point is that I do feel as though it tried. Whether or not it succeeded is certainly another story entirely, but I'll at least give the film credit for trying if nothing else.

Back to top Go down
Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran
Sickle_Claw

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later   Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2019 11:43 am

Don't really feel that Fallen Kingdom is as bad in most people's estimation as you seem to think, Rhedo. Was at Target the other day and they were restocking blu rays, among the dvds they were restocking was at least 10 copies of Fallen Kingdom. So it's still being bought in enough quantities.

Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later   Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2019 12:40 pm

Sickle_Claw wrote:
Don't really feel that Fallen Kingdom is as bad in most people's estimation as you seem to think, Rhedo. Was at Target the other day and they were restocking blu rays, among the dvds they were restocking was at least 10 copies of Fallen Kingdom. So it's still being bought in enough quantities.

But how much of that is due to the the fact that other then Godzilla-which is semi-detached from the whole dinosaur movie genre-that it has no real competition via other dinosaur movies getting made? I gurantee you that if somebody-wither Peter Jackson or Gullimero del Toro-were to remake The Lost World, Gwangi, or finally make one the the unfinished dinosaur movies that Willis O'Brian or Ray Harryhuasen planned to made, then people wouldn't be buying so much of those movies due the more competition.

Not only that, but I don't see the movies get bought at the store that I'm working at. I see the toys and LEGO sets get bought quite a bit, but the movies themselves? Not so much.

Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later   Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2019 1:22 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
But how much of that is due to the the fact that other then Godzilla-which is semi-detached from the whole dinosaur movie genre-that it has no real competition via other dinosaur movies getting made? I gurantee you that if somebody-wither Peter Jackson or Gullimero del Toro-were to remake The Lost World, Gwangi, or finally make one the the unfinished dinosaur movies that Willis O'Brian or Ray Harryhuasen planned to made, then people wouldn't be buying so much of those movies due the more competition.

Not only that, but I don't see the movies get bought at the store that I'm working at. I see the toys and LEGO sets get bought quite a bit, but the movies themselves? Not so much.

I don't think lack of competition really has anything to do with it. If Gwangi or something were remade, I don't see it making much of a dent. More than anything, it's brand recognition. Jurassic Park/World has built up one of the more successful brands in recent memory. Maybe not quite on par with Star Wars or Marvel, but enough so that even a film with poor reviews and bad word of mouth like Fallen Kingdom can still make over a billion dollars and rake in the blue ray and DVD dollars as well. That isn't to say that the law of diminishing returns won't take effect at some point.....it happens with every non-MCU franchise. Only to say that Jurassic Park/World is still one of the most recognizable brands in all of cinema.

As far as the general consensus of the film's overall quality, it seems to have a handful of extremely vocal detractors that consider it one of the worst films of the last decade, a handful of JP fans that love it and consider it one of-if not the best sequel in the franchise, while the majority of people didn't think too much of it but would still watch it if it came on TV cause it's a Jurassic Park film, and even the worst Jurassic Park film is still pretty entertaining to most people.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later   Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2019 3:25 pm

Tyrant Lizard wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

I don't think lack of competition really has anything to do with it. If Gwangi or something were remade, I don't see it making much of a dent. More than anything, it's brand recognition. Jurassic Park/World has built up one of the more successful brands in recent memory. Maybe not quite on par with Star Wars or Marvel, but enough so that even a film with poor reviews and bad word of mouth like Fallen Kingdom can still make over a billion dollars and rake in the blue ray and DVD dollars as well. That isn't to say that the law of diminishing returns won't take effect at some point.....it happens with every non-MCU franchise. Only to say that Jurassic Park/World is still one of the most recognizable brands in all of cinema.

As far as the general consensus of the film's overall quality, it seems to have a handful of extremely vocal detractors that consider it one of the worst films of the last decade, a handful of JP fans that love it and consider it one of-if not the best sequel in the franchise, while the majority of people didn't think too much of it but would still watch it if it came on TV cause it's a Jurassic Park film, and even the worst Jurassic Park film is still pretty entertaining to most people.

But how long can the JP franchise be propped up by brand recognition, toys/Lego sets, and sites? It's not like other franchises which are far more heavily established like the Godzilla, the MCU, Star Trek, etc.

Also, when I posted the one article about Colin talking about more JP movies after JW3/JP6 on the one FB movie group I'm a part of, not a single person, many of them long time JP fans like myself, wanted any of it. And JW:FK was the movie many of them cited as being the reason.

Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later   Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2019 7:20 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Also, when I posted the one article about Colin talking about more JP movies after JW3/JP6 on the one FB movie group I'm a part of, not a single person, many of them long time JP fans like myself, wanted any of it. And JW:FK was the movie many of them cited as being the reason.

That's something specific to your experience. A lot of people were very vocal about not wanting a 2nd JW film either, and yet it made 1.3 billion dollars. Having very vocal detractors isn't reason enough not to make a movie when it's almost guaranteed to make a billion dollars.

Back to top Go down
Robotpo
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
Robotpo

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later   Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 24, 2019 12:09 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Sickle_Claw wrote:

Not to be pedantic, but Jackson made a dinosaur movie that almost nobody liked (and he now seems to be retired from big-budget filmmaking), and del Toro's films have never big box-office draws. Also Harryhausen and O'Brien are not known to most audiences.

IMO you'd be happier just letting go and not spending the next however many years in angst about something over which you have no control. Having spent a lot of my life as a huge SW nerd, I'm happier having accepted that Disney and the ST are not going where I would have wanted and getting what I can out of the franchise going forward, rather than wasting energy on TheForce.net or wherever explaining why the sequels suck. Smile
Back to top Go down
JVM
Hatchling
Hatchling
JVM

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later   Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2019 6:44 am

I've been wanting to rewatch it again, but I still feel pretty good about the film. I might call it my least favorite sequel for honesty's sake, but I still think it's a lot better than my worst fears ever were, and handled well a lot of the things I expected it to bungle. It remains a flawed film and it's not perhaps what I might have done, but for me at least, it did not commit any cardinal sins. I'm also always going to feel a fondness for having three of my wishlist species appear in this one.

Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later   Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2019 9:01 pm

My thoughts are more or less the same... I don't hate or even dislike JWFK that much but that is more due to the fact that JW was such a huge let down in so many ways for me that my expectations for JWFK were very very low.

It is a similar feeling to how I feel about Disney's Star Wars ,The Last Jedi just altered things so much that at this point it is not even hate anymore but more of a now you know how it is being run by people who are not really hardcore fans so you just know it will be not even close to what hardcore fans want.

https://www.facebook.com/Petition-to-have-a-T-Rex-Spinosaurus-rematch-in-Jurassic-World-2-194141920665797/
Back to top Go down
Megatronus Rex
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Megatronus Rex

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later   Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2020 8:32 pm

It's still the worst of the franchise to me and drained my excitement for JW3. I never have a desire to rewatch it unless I need to fact-check something for a discussion, unlike the others where I'll go back and watch certain scenes (JW) or the whole thing (JP-JP3). I just cannot get into it and I don't care about Owen or Blue; the Indoraptor was also incredibly underwhelming and felt unnecessarily repetitive.

Beautiful to look at, definitely. Not much fun to watch for me.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuEb77i1zKVDNUSAyk_pZ-A
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later   Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2020 8:35 pm

Megatronus Rex wrote:
It's still the worst of the franchise to me and drained my excitement for JW3. I never have a desire to rewatch it unless I need to fact-check something for a discussion, unlike the others where I'll go back and watch certain scenes (JW) or the whole thing (JP-JP3). I just cannot get into it and I don't care about Owen or Blue; the Indoraptor was also incredibly underwhelming and felt unnecessarily repetitive.

Beautiful to look at, definitely. Not much fun to watch for me.
Same here

Only JP movie I do not own almost 2 years on.
Back to top Go down
dance2nite
Sorna Velociraptor
Sorna Velociraptor
dance2nite

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later   Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2020 12:19 am

I know we all have different taste but I cannot believe people prefer JP3 over FK... scratch
Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later   Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2020 3:58 pm

dance2nite wrote:
I know we all have different taste but I cannot believe people prefer JP3 over FK... scratch

You know me, I put 3 over JW even Very Happy

So FK shouldn’t take it too personally. Although I really wish it had grown on me. I’m sad to say I just can’t find myself enjoying it.

As a JP film that is. FK actually feels like a pretty good resident evil/Dino crisis movie. I really wish they’d make that
Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later   Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2020 6:48 pm

dance2nite wrote:

While I do prefer FK over JP3 simply because it a much more ambitious film, I can understand why some folks prefer JP3. I think basically what it comes down to is you have a smaller scale film that isn't very ambitious and has a very self contained story that's told at least somewhat competently in JP3 vs a much larger, more ambitious film with lasting repercussions for the franchise with a story that (imo) isn't told very competently in FK.

Even though I give FK the nod over JP3 for at least attempting to up the stakes, I feel JP3 probably does a better job at accomplishing what it's setting out to do, which is simply to be a fun, self contained dinosaur movie.

Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later   Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2020 10:49 pm

Tyrant Lizard wrote:
dance2nite wrote:

While I do prefer FK over JP3 simply because it a much more ambitious film, I can understand why some folks prefer JP3. I think basically what it comes down to is you have a smaller scale film that isn't very ambitious and has a very self contained story that's told at least somewhat competently in JP3 vs a much larger, more ambitious film with lasting repercussions for the franchise  with a story that (imo) isn't told very competently in FK.

Even though I give FK the nod over JP3 for at least attempting to up the stakes, I feel JP3 probably does a better job at accomplishing what it's setting out to do, which is simply to be a fun, self contained dinosaur movie.

This so much. JP3 doesn’t really piss the fandom off too much besides killing the Rex, which in hindsight was a mistake(even though I don’t mind it). And the writing in JP3 isn’t revolutionary or anything but I feel like I’m on the island. On a adventure with doctor Grant. And the movie is awesome set piece after awesome set piece at a great pace. Every set piece feels memorable and dangerous to me. The Spino to me is kind iconic.  Obviously nostalgia plays a role but I genuinely have a affection for it.

Somehow in FK everything and everyone feels too safe. The action feels sterile and bombastic(the stampede). And In FK I found myself frustrated at how many cool scenes or plots felt kinda wasted or under developed.

I don’t want to beat up on FK too much though. The opening scene is really cool. The effects are some of the best I’ve seen. But I found myself thinking it could have easily been on par with TLW if it had stuck with the tone of that opening scene and had better writing.

@ Dance2nite But if people like FK I’m very glad for them. We all like what we like and I know my opinion on JP3 is unpopular. We’re all fans.... unless..... you hate the original. Then we throw you to the raptors Razz
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later   Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2020 7:39 pm

Troyal1 wrote:
dance2nite wrote:

You know me, I put 3 over JW even  Very Happy

So FK shouldn’t take it too personally. Although I really wish it had grown on me. I’m sad to say I just can’t find myself enjoying it.

As a JP film that is. FK actually feels like a pretty good resident evil/Dino crisis movie. I really wish they’d make that

At least JP3 had a mostly solid 3rd act. JW:FK had nothing for me.

Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later   Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2020 8:07 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:

Agreed on this. It's the only film in the franchise where I was actually just waiting for the movie to end while watching it in theaters. JP3 may have had that weird, abrupt ending, but at least it didn't drag.

Back to top Go down
Dr. Wu
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Wu

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later   Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 07, 2020 9:33 pm

I eventually accepted that it has many flaws. That said, I still enjoy the film from beginning to end. Yes characters survive things they shouldn't be able to but I still enjoy the experience so for me it's a good movie.

The second half of FK with Lockwood Manor is my favorite.

Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later   Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2020 6:13 pm

Tyrant Lizard wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

Agreed on this. It's the only film in the franchise where I was actually just waiting for the movie to end while watching it in theaters. JP3 may have had that weird, abrupt ending, but at least it didn't drag.

I guess for me. JW:FK is one of those movies that takes the good will of a movie that brought back the franchise and just threw all away with how poorly written it was. The movie just comes across like they wanted to get the dinosaurs on the mainland with as little, if any, intellegence or effort as possible. As a result, plot holes riddle the movie abound.

Why were'nt they taken to Sorna or spread out amoung it and the other islands?

Why didn't the new dinosaurs (Sinoceratops, Carnotaurus, etc)appear in the last movie?

What happened to the Sorna population?

Wasn't the U.S. Navy supposed to be protecting the Sorna islands as well as the others?

Why wasn't there a few FBI/Interpol agents at Lockwood's mansion considering the carnage of what happened in the first JW movie?

Does Lockwood's sanctuary even exist?

Wouldn't the dinosaurs that escaped at the end be wiped out by the National Guard/SWAT within a few months or so?

None of these things are explained. The movie just wants you take everything at face value, no questions asked, and for me, as somebody who likes a good/solid sci-fi movie, that's not how you make a good sci-fi movie, let alone a movie in general. They are just SOOO distracting. The last movie I've seen that had such massive plot holes was The Last Airbender.

Not only that, but the new super hybrid, the Indoraptor was useless and just wasted. The movie could easily have been made without it. People can say what they want about the Indominus Rex, but she did more then enough to justify her existance. The Indoraptor never did. That's a shame becuase a 'super-raptor' would have been an interesting idea if done properly.

As for JP3, it does some things right, and it does get interesting in a few spots before the 3rd act, but by the time the 3rd act comes, it's a case of too little, too late for the movie to be saved. But considering how it was tacked on so soulessly, you can ignore it considering how it didn't add anything major to the canon. Which is a shame because I still think that it could been a respectable movie anyway if the poeple who made it used basic common sense and some degree of care rather then caring when it was too late.

Case in point: The Spinosaurus. Rather then being portrayed like a bad Godzilla knockoff-As if we didn't get one 3 years eariler via Emmerich's trainwreck.-it and the T. rex would have gotten equal screentime and they fight at the end, but rather then showing us a clear winner, it would have been an ambiguous ending where Grant and the crew ran away from the giants with us being left to decide who won. That would have been MUCH better then what we got.

JW:FK treatment of canon was far worse. It just took it and threw it in the thrash for the sake of getting dinosaurs on the mainland, which, again, is not how you make a good movie of any genre. And that's a far bigger sin then just soullessly tacking on something that doesn't add anything.

I still wish that we got a movie that took place in between JP3 and JW. This was the wrong movie that happened to get so much wrong.

Back to top Go down
Dr. Wu
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Wu

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later   Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2020 6:33 pm

JP:FK is far better than JP3 TO ME. I don't want to watch a JP film that's like filler.

Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later   Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2020 8:13 pm

Even if JP3 had the horrible idea of ruining the first 2 films by establishing a newcomer species as better in every way than the iconic species...

I would still take JP3 over JW and JW:FK. In fact, JP3 actually does many things better than JW and JWFK. Despite the terrible you know what, it is actually the last Jurassic film where I actually feel like I am watching a Jurassic Park movie. It has much more of that Jurassic feel than JW and JWFK. JW and JWFK feel too much like Marvel movies. The fact that we had Dr. Grant back in the lead was a major plus and made it feel very much like the first film. Not to mention it was the last Jurassic film that focused on actually learning about dinosaur species (yeah yeah I know, even if some are not accurate). Both JW and JWFK are all about hybrid mutants. And also JP3 was the last film in wich the dinosaurs behaved like dinosaurs, like fierce wild animals unlike JW and JWFK wich has the dinosaurs almost behaving like zords from the Power Rangers or even just superhero like sidekicks.

And the best part of it all. JP3 was the last film that did not feel the need to ignore and avoid TLW at all costs like JW and JWFK have. In fact it actually has many many fun nods to TLW. It takes place on the same Island, mentions the San Diego incident, mentions what Malcolm did after TLW, mentions the fact that there are 2 islands. (Wich is all more proof that TLW was never a "disliked" film that people wanted to ignore or avoid).

So yeah in that sense, I take JP3 over JW and JWFK and I even feel it is "better" when you take all of the above into account.

https://www.facebook.com/Petition-to-have-a-T-Rex-Spinosaurus-rematch-in-Jurassic-World-2-194141920665797/
Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later   Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2020 9:42 pm

At the end of the day it's all subjective. What one person considers important another may consider entirely superfluous. From a cinematography perspective, Fallen Kingdom is probably superior to most, if not all other films in the franchise. One could make the argument from an effects perspective it's the new benchmark as well.

As far as references to other films are concerned, I'm of two minds. They can either be looked upon as a way to connect the franchise in a way that makes everything seem more cohesive and fluid, or as unnecessary window dressing to create a sense of nostalgia in the viewer that may distract from the story being told. Both can be true.

The references to TLW and JP3 via the mentioning of Sorna by name and the inclusion of the compies were enough for me, especially considering the references to the original JP littered throughout FK seemed pretty hamfisted and out of place imho, and I can't imagine shoving 2 more films worth of references would have helped matters. Direct references to JP3 would have been especially out of place considering how self contained JP3's story was.

These are a few of the reasons why I feel more references to TLW and JP3 in FK probably would have had a net-negative effect on the film as a whole. Any further discussion of how the sequel films were treated in FK probably belongs in the other thread though.

Back to top Go down
#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later   Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2020 9:58 pm

Tyrant Lizard wrote:
At the end of the day it's all subjective. What one person considers important another may consider entirely superfluous. From a cinematography perspective, Fallen Kingdom is probably superior to most, if not all other films in the franchise. One could make the argument from an effects perspective it's the new benchmark as well.

As far as references to other films are concerned, I'm of two minds. They can either be looked upon as a way to connect the franchise in a way that makes everything seem more cohesive and fluid, or as unnecessary window dressing to create a sense of nostalgia in the viewer that may distract from the story being told. Both can be true.

The references to TLW and JP3 via the mentioning of Sorna by name and the inclusion of the compies were enough for me, especially considering the references to the original JP littered throughout FK seemed pretty hamfisted and out of place imho, and I can't imagine shoving 2 more films worth of references would have helped matters. Direct references to JP3 would have been especially out of place considering how self contained JP3's story was.

These are a few of the reasons why I feel more references to TLW and JP3 in FK probably would have had a net-negative effect on the film as a whole. Any further discussion of how the sequel films were treated in FK probably belongs in the other thread though.

And let me clarify that I do not mind a few nods to the original Jurassic Park. But Fallen Kingdom went to the point of having Rexy do the exact same pose from the first film. Like they may as well make a film in wich the characters all talk about how awesome everything was in the first film.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later   Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Your thoughts one year later
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next