Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.


Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)
 
Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

 

 Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars?

Go down 
+4
Jurassic Fan 1994
Dead2009
The Malone Society
#TRexSpinorematch
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
TRK/TrexKing
Administrator
Administrator
TRK/TrexKing


Posts : 566
Reputation : 15
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Sydney, Australia

Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars?   Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2022 8:02 pm

I will admit that Jurassic Franchise is very similar to the Star Wars Franchise, in the sense that each trilogy is made for the generation it came out for. It's either kids or Nostalgia Addicts. Most of us are just mad the franchise did not age with us. Argue it all you want, that is the fact. Super hero Buddy pal archetypes sell now. Multi-billion dollar franchise like this cannot come out the way the used to - purely for the monetary fact. If we got 6 JP quality and story like films, I don't think they would have made as much money. In today's world, its the GA that makes the money - not the diehard fans. It is a dangerous path that Star Wars is beginning to follow with the Clone Wars/Mando Sagas relying heavily on TCW, Rebels etc content. It is beautiful for the mega fan, but dangerous when trying to sell to the GA.

I honestly get what you both are trying to say, but at the end of the day, it is all about the powerpuff girls formula : Nostalgia, Action and everything to make sense enough for the money making to be nice.

_______________
"Through Victory, My chains are broken"
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus


Posts : 4930
Reputation : 139
Join date : 2016-06-08
Location : Armada, Michigan

Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars?   Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2022 9:58 pm

TRK/TrexKing wrote:
I will admit that Jurassic Franchise is very similar to the Star Wars Franchise, in the sense that each trilogy is made for the generation it came out for. It's either kids or Nostalgia Addicts. Most of us are just mad the franchise did not age with us. Argue it all you want, that is the fact. Super hero Buddy pal archetypes sell now. Multi-billion dollar franchise like this cannot come out the way the used to - purely for the monetary fact. If we got 6 JP quality and story like films, I don't think they would have made as much money. In today's world, its the GA that makes the money - not the diehard fans. It is a dangerous path that Star Wars is beginning to follow with the Clone Wars/Mando Sagas relying heavily on TCW, Rebels etc content. It is beautiful for the mega fan, but dangerous when trying to sell to the GA.

I honestly get what you both are trying to say, but at the end of the day, it is all about the powerpuff girls formula : Nostalgia, Action and everything to make sense enough for the money making to be nice.

So, instead of trying to influence movie companies to hold franchises up to the standards that made them so special, we're just supposed to go with the flow and accept whatever is thrown at us because normies/the GA are too lazy/stupid to care? If anything else, the fact that so many normies are too apathetic means that us fans need to be more passionate and protective of these franchises then ever before. You say that a story based franchise can't work, but the MCU Infinity Saga, I.E. Iron Man to Avengers: Endgame is proof otherwise. Truth be told, those movies have far more substance then the JW movies and thus, will age far better then all the JP movies made since TLW. What might be profitable to the GA now doesn't mean that it will work in the long term. It's a lesson that Disney learned the hard way with Star Wars, which is why they are trying to get the built-in fan base back.


Besides, pandering to the GA can backfire big time. Again, I point out the Batman movies when WB demoted Tim Burton as a powerless executive producer and gave Joel Schumacher all the power in order to expand the audience. That led to Batman and Robin, which in turn, crippled the brand as a viable live action franchise for 8 years.






_______________
The undisputed dominant predator of Jurassic Mainframe.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton




If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.

#TRexSpinorematch likes this post

Back to top Go down
TRK/TrexKing
Administrator
Administrator
TRK/TrexKing


Posts : 566
Reputation : 15
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Sydney, Australia

Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars?   Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2022 10:06 pm

Outside of Sonic the hedgehog name a movie/franchise where diehard fan outcry changed the movie in recent times ? There isn't. No amount of fan campaign for a currently profitable franchise is gunna do shit.

On your point about the MCU, select movies in the franchise make a cohesive story, overall a good percentage of them are trash.

_______________
"Through Victory, My chains are broken"
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus


Posts : 4930
Reputation : 139
Join date : 2016-06-08
Location : Armada, Michigan

Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars?   Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2022 10:27 pm

TRK/TrexKing wrote:
Outside of Sonic the hedgehog name a movie/franchise where diehard fan outcry changed the movie in recent times ? There isn't. No amount of fan campaign for a currently profitable franchise is gunna do shit.

On your point about the MCU, select movies in the franchise make a cohesive story, overall a good percentage of them are trash.

I guess you forgot about how the Snyder Cut of JL got released after all. And while we're on the topic of superhero movies, I'm afraid that take of the MCU is that of the minority. People will have far better memories of the Infinity Saga then they ever will with the JW trilogy. That's just a fact.

And fan outrage isn't always about immediate results, but the future viability of the franchise. Case in point, I guarantee you that if fans hadn't spoken up about how bad Roland Emmerich's take on Godzilla was back in 1998, then Legendary wouldn't have had treated him or the other classic monsters with respect that they did in the Godzillaverse. Nobody wanted to make THOSE mistakes again. Oh, and Emmerich's career was crippled in that he was never given another IP to work with since.



_______________
The undisputed dominant predator of Jurassic Mainframe.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton




If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
TRK/TrexKing
Administrator
Administrator
TRK/TrexKing


Posts : 566
Reputation : 15
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Sydney, Australia

Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars?   Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2022 10:41 pm

I did forget about ZSJL, so I will pay that.

MCU is 27+ movies vs 6 and a Netflix series. You cannot compare them. JW outdid Star Wars and the MCU in 2015 and sure 2018, FK got 4th at the BO, but still out did a fair few MCU/Disney related products. Sheer quantity will encapsulate people more, no matter how good JW/FK could have been.

With Godzilla same deal 30+ movie franchise, an outcry of 3 films isn't going to have the same effect.

I get what you are trying to say, for anyone who has a distaste of the franchise current projects, I get it but the comparisons to larger franchises are simply not fair and not to scale, making the argument somewhat irrelevant. I am not saying give up, fight for your passion but come JWD and CC S5 despite what they have said the franchise is largely finished for a little while at the very least.

_______________
"Through Victory, My chains are broken"

The Malone Society likes this post

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus


Posts : 4930
Reputation : 139
Join date : 2016-06-08
Location : Armada, Michigan

Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars?   Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2022 10:21 am

TRK/TrexKing wrote:
I did forget about ZSJL, so I will pay that.

MCU is 27+ movies vs 6 and a Netflix series. You cannot compare them. JW outdid Star Wars and the MCU in 2015 and sure 2018, FK got 4th at the BO, but still out did a fair few MCU/Disney related products. Sheer quantity will encapsulate people more, no matter how good JW/FK could have been.

With Godzilla same deal 30+ movie franchise, an outcry of 3 films isn't going to have the same effect.

I get what you are trying to say, for anyone who has a distaste of the franchise current projects, I get it but the comparisons to larger franchises are simply not fair and not to scale, making the argument somewhat irrelevant. I am not saying give up, fight for your passion but come JWD and CC S5 despite what they have said the franchise is largely finished for a little while at the very least.

While I concede that our position makes things harder, that doesn't mean that it's impossible. Look at how the backlash from GB2016 led to Ghostbusters Afterlife. Not only that, but the JP franchise is still a culturally known franchise that is worth billions. For those reasons, we still have to fight for it.

In other words, if Godzilla and Ghostbusters- a pair of franchises that while smaller and more niche then JP, yet FAR more institutionalized in pop culture then JP-are worth fighting for, then so is this franchise.

_______________
The undisputed dominant predator of Jurassic Mainframe.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton




If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch


Posts : 586
Reputation : 22
Join date : 2017-05-28

Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars?   Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2022 4:57 pm

TRK/TrexKing wrote:
I will admit that Jurassic Franchise is very similar to the Star Wars Franchise, in the sense that each trilogy is made for the generation it came out for. It's either kids or Nostalgia Addicts. Most of us are just mad the franchise did not age with us. Argue it all you want, that is the fact. Super hero Buddy pal archetypes sell now. Multi-billion dollar franchise like this cannot come out the way the used to - purely for the monetary fact. If we got 6 JP quality and story like films, I don't think they would have made as much money. In today's world, its the GA that makes the money - not the diehard fans. It is a dangerous path that Star Wars is beginning to follow with the Clone Wars/Mando Sagas relying heavily on TCW, Rebels etc content. It is beautiful for the mega fan, but dangerous when trying to sell to the GA.

I honestly get what you both are trying to say, but at the end of the day, it is all about the powerpuff girls formula : Nostalgia, Action and everything to make sense enough for the money making to be nice.

The Disney Star Wars thing is a strange one because on one hand Katheen Kennedy, Rian Johnson, Pablo Hidalgo, Freddie Prinze Jr and other LucasFilm employees are all very open in saying that what they do is not for the old fans (and going as far as to mock them)...

But at the same time... They do love to use nostalgia or characters loved by old fans in order to "win back" some old fans.

Just a very odd thing wich speaking of canons....Since George Lucas considered Disney a different thing to what he had in mind. That made even more official the fact that the Disney canon is just that, the Disney canon and does not have to be included in the Lucas canon..

I do have to point out one thing though...The thing about fandoms making change is that everytime a section of the fandom tries to make change, there is always another section of the fandom that does an equal effort to shut them down and invalidate them.

Example:

Half the fandom: "Don't do this with this classic character please"

The other half of the fandom: "Of shut up and get over it, this is just.fiction and if you really were a fan of the brand you would accept it and move on".

Hard to make change when half of the fandom brushes you off.
Back to top Go down
TRK/TrexKing
Administrator
Administrator
TRK/TrexKing


Posts : 566
Reputation : 15
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Sydney, Australia

Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars?   Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2022 5:55 pm

That still doesn't change the fact that the franchises cannot be compared due to sheer scale.

I see your point on the equal and opposite reaction side of things but it is folly. Especially now with the franchise largely coming to a close.

_______________
"Through Victory, My chains are broken"
Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Moderator
Moderator
Tyrant Lizard


Posts : 1460
Reputation : 90
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Over there

Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars?   Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2022 6:03 pm

Political and cultural issues are largely the real instigating factor behind a lot of fan backlash these days. Say what you want about Trevorrow as a writer and director, but he's (smartly) kept the JW films away from the cultural battleground, which is part of the reason why the backlash to the declining quality of the films hasn't manifested in anything significant. There's no cultural stake in the franchise, considering that JP/JW has stayed mostly neutral in that regard.

_______________
Dinosaurs still rule the earth

Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars? - Page 2 Jpbann10

The Malone Society likes this post

Back to top Go down
#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch


Posts : 586
Reputation : 22
Join date : 2017-05-28

Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars?   Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2022 9:15 am

And for those telling me "Oh you just want to decanonize those films because you hate them".

Im not the only one who hates them. Jurassic Park 3 has a 36% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes for crying out loud.. Fallen Kingdom has a 48% audience score. And Jurassic World despite making a billion dolars was still hated by many in both the fanbase and the general punlic...

So yeah, this isn't some sort of tiny internet cult hating on these movies o a few fat guys living in their mother's basement wanting to be elitist.

These movies ( 3-6) have indeed ruined the first 2 movies (wich are the favorites of millions of fans) or at the very least tarnished and diminished them ,created plot holes and have overall not left that good of a taste in people's mouths.

Or have you ever seen someone say "Oh man, Fallen Kingdom was a mastepriece" ?

Heck, the biggest proof that films 3-6 have altered the first 2 is that everytime I bring up the reasons why they were altered the argument I usually get is "It's fiction" or "Move on".

I just can not see how making multiple different canons (like Star Wars) would be THAT bad since many other franchises already do have them. Not to mention, the films will not cease to exist. You can still watch Jurassic World even though I hate it with enormous passion.

_______________
Link to the T Rex Spinosaurus rematch in Jurassic World 3 petition that Colin Trevorrow noted. We hope everyone joins and help us share it.

https://www.facebook.com/Petition-to-have-a-T-Rex-Spinosaurus-rematch-in-Jurassic-World-2-194141920665797/
Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Moderator
Moderator
Tyrant Lizard


Posts : 1460
Reputation : 90
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Over there

Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars?   Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2022 12:22 pm

If we're citing bad RT scores as a reason for splitting up the canon, then maybe the alternate canon should start a wee bit earlier....say 4 years earlier.

_______________
Dinosaurs still rule the earth

Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars? - Page 2 Jpbann10

The Malone Society likes this post

Back to top Go down
#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch


Posts : 586
Reputation : 22
Join date : 2017-05-28

Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars?   Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2022 2:47 pm

Tyrant Lizard wrote:
If we're citing bad RT scores as a reason for splitting up the canon, then maybe the alternate canon should start a wee bit earlier....say 4 years earlier.

I used those to show that there was a significant amount of negativity with those films and not just a 2 or 3 crazy fanboys on the internet who are just being petty for the sake of being petty.

But there is a key difference between The Lost World and the next 4 sequels...

The Lost World did not change, alter or ruin anything about the legendary first film. The other 4 sequels did.

The general consensus of TLW is that it was not as good as the original, but not a hated movie or a movie that ruins the franchise. It is simply seen as not as good or compelling as the first one. However itt did not change alter or ruin the lore or the mythos or anything.

While it is true that the internet was not much of a thing back on 1997, I honestly did not see negativity about TLW until Nostalgia Critic made that review video on Youtube in 2006 and he with his comedic cynical style and that made it "cool" to say TLW was not a good film. It then became one of those films wich internet articles and Youtube reviewers think it's "cool" dislike but when you actually ask around. Most people in both the fanbase and the general public concede it is the best sequel.

That happened even more after Jurassic World and even more so after Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom. Many people in both the General Public and the fanbase went to youtube to clips of TLW and many were like "Now THIS is what a JP sequel is supposed to feel like".

Like seriously, whenever you ask people why is TLW not as good as the first one the answers are more or less "Not as much AWE and wonder factor as the first one" or the gymnastics scene.

But whenever you ask people why are JP3, JW or JWFK bad? There are many many more answers.
Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Moderator
Moderator
Tyrant Lizard


Posts : 1460
Reputation : 90
Join date : 2016-06-07
Location : Over there

Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars?   Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2022 9:41 pm

Hey, you're the one that brought up RT scores. Also, TLW literally reconnect Nublar as the breeding ground for the dinosaurs.

_______________
Dinosaurs still rule the earth

Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars? - Page 2 Jpbann10
Back to top Go down
#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch


Posts : 586
Reputation : 22
Join date : 2017-05-28

Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars?   Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2022 11:02 pm

Tyrant Lizard wrote:
Hey, you're the one that brought up RT scores. Also, TLW literally reconnect Nublar as the breeding ground for the dinosaurs.

That dosen't ruin, alter or change in any major way the classic first film.

But back on topic, after most people see Dominion, then you will get a more clear picture as to why I suggested multiple different canons (and after fans see it and many are pissed, they will agree with this thread very much).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content





Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars?   Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down
 
Anybody else wishes this franchise had multiple canons like Star Wars?
Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2
 Similar topics
-
» Star Wars vs Star Trek
» The Star Wars thread
» Favorite Star Wars Movie
» This franchise has been handled and received very similar to Star Wars through the years...
» Head Canons

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Jurassic Mainframe :: The Franchise :: Film Universe-
Jump to: