Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

The Ghostbusters Thread

Go down 
+17
Hellothasaurus
Dr. Wu
Pokesaurus
Mysterious Hero M
Spinosaur4.4
Troodon_formosus
Troyal1
Agron
BarrytheOnyx
Scott B
evolution_rex
Katana
Dead2009
Sickle_Claw
Rhedosaurus
Levine
TheDreamMaster
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

3 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   3 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2016 3:35 pm

Sickle_Claw wrote:
Guys....the end credit scene...
https://twitter.com/Nickrob/status/752187356870955008

^That has been confirmed as true. Ugh. Not giving this movie any of my money.

Hope that's not true No No
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   3 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2016 5:09 pm

So the so-called "film" is sitting at 74% on Rotten Rotten Tomatoes out of 43 reviews as of the time of this writing.

Still don't care, the onslaught of horrible press from Sony, the directors, the cast, nightmare inducing production history and braindead marketing turned me off this sorry excuse a long time ago. I don't care of people (outside of this good site of course) label me as sexist/racist I will know that I'm not what they think I am. I know that I am tired of feeling like I'm being lied to, judged, insulted and reduced to being a corporate slave because of blackmail and insidious mind games. If this persists, and most of the "positive" reviews are merely political statements of allegiance to the movie's agenda, then forget it. I'll stick to my Warcraft, my Legend of Tarzan, even Batman v Superman: Ultimate Edition, every movie that has been labelled divisive or subpar that I happen to enjoy on a certain level - but I will never endorse this.

3 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 3 Dinosa12
Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   3 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2016 8:12 pm

evolution_rex wrote:
The percentage it's at right now is is pretty low in my opinion, and the pattern I've noticed on Rotten Tomatoes is that generally get worse as more reviews come in. However, even the top critics are making this thing political, and so I have a feeling the lesser critics, the ones who have something to loose or gain by making their review political, might give it more praise and thus messing with the results.

I have no doubt it'll be successful at the box office, and that's a shame in my opinion, but I was really hoping that most critics would review it honestly (at this point I can't say I'm on the 'I hope this is good, no one wants to hope for a bad movie!' because the marketing and claims of sexism infuriate me and I really hope this does bad at least critically), and from what I've read these aren't honesty reviews but delusions and pandering. This might actually stay at around 60%, but I can't see it going higher than 70.

As of this writing, it has a 74% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Back to top Go down
evolution_rex
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
evolution_rex

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   3 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2016 9:00 pm

I meant as the final result, that's what I meant by 'stay at'. I'll be surprised, and deeply concerned, if its above 70 after the release.

If it actually is good, I'll see it eventually but I'm certainly not going to pay to see it.

http://letterboxd.com/evolution_rex/
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   3 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2016 12:01 am

Well thanks to some free passes, didn't pay and have tickets to the 7 p.m. screening on Thursday. The reviews are so damn all over the place, and with what Sickle posted I'm not exactly excited if they really do tell me that being a man is bad. But, lets see how it goes. Btw, Bloody Disgusting, posted their review, and its, average.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3398233/ghostbusters-review-paul-feig/

"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   3 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2016 11:25 am

That's surprising considering they make sure to let you know something is worth seeing.

Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   3 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2016 12:11 pm

Dead2009 wrote:
That's surprising considering they make sure to let you know something is worth seeing.

I'm sort of 50/50 on BD, I like the site for the most part, but I didn't agree with a couple of their reviews in the past (Mockingbird, and Mine Games, I think were two films they reviewed highly and I watched them and they were just not good.), but usually I trust their opinions. It's a weird review though, because they praise it as a mile stone film in terms of heroes little girls can look up to, but pretty much slam the film and say its bad and stuff. It doesn't make me think they got paid off or anything, but it does make me wonder if like a lot fo the critics, they've become so afraid of the SJW backlash they had to post something positive in their review. Could be it really is just an average movie and not as bad as everyone has predicted, but I'll still reserve that judgement for my own opinion.

Sickle_Claw wrote:
Guys....the end credit scene...
https://twitter.com/Nickrob/status/752187356870955008

^That has been confirmed as true. Ugh. Not giving this movie any of my money.

The dance scene at the end of the credits is 100% true, but no one else I've talked to mentions this thing about Hemsworth. I'm thinking the guy in Twitter post is just trying mess with people more, but I wouldn't necessarily put it out of the realm of possibility either.

EDIT: 77% on Rotten Tomatoes by all critics, but top critics its only 50%. Feels like something going on there.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   3 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2016 12:58 pm

I'm hopeful that the reviews are just anomalies since the real critics usually come out between Wed, Thur, and Fri with a few on Sat. When you hear from those, you'll know the truth. Even if this does start out well, I fully expect this movie to implode big time via Batman vs. Superman and Sony's first GINO movie, Godzilla 1998.

And Amy Pascal has now gone insane.

Vanity Fair didn't like the movie.

Richard Roeper just destroyed this movie. He didn't hold back ,he tore it apart!
Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   3 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2016 3:20 pm

TheDreamMaster wrote:
Well thanks to some free passes, didn't pay and have tickets to the 7 p.m. screening on Thursday. The reviews are so damn all over the place, and with what Sickle posted I'm not exactly excited if they really do tell me that being a man is bad. But, lets see how it goes. Btw, Bloody Disgusting, posted their review, and its, average.

I hope to get a detailed review from you.
I like reading your reviews
Back to top Go down
Spinosaur4.4
Veteran
Veteran
Spinosaur4.4

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   3 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2016 4:06 pm

I'm not going to watch this movie, not bc I'm sexist but I've heard it's really bad and plus I've never found Ghostbursters movies funny or that appealing to me. My opinion of course.

What makes me feel bad is that the studio is trying to combat sexism with more sexism as said the final scene has someone appologizing for being a man. That's over the top. Way too much. I know some of the critics are talking trash about the movie bc it's all women cast, but most of the critics/reviews I see are about how the movie is bad and they have a reason.

Trying to label all men as rapists/sexist isn't a good way to combat prejudice against women. That will just fire back.

Former JPL member, Spinosaur4.4.

3 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 3 LYHX0zA
Back to top Go down
evolution_rex
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
evolution_rex

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   3 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2016 9:02 pm

I think the original two are good movies, but I've never been much of a fan. I was actually really optimistic of the movie and even though I thought it looked bad, it didn't seem as bad as some made it out to be and was okay with the female cast (and most of us haters are, from what I've seen). But then the creators were calling me sexist for thinking it wasn't good, and that was way too far and that's when I actively started hating it. Even if the movie isn't that bad, I'll still hate it. I doubt I'll never not hate this.

TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   3 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2016 11:03 pm

Troyal1 wrote:
TheDreamMaster wrote:

I hope to get a detailed review from you.
I like reading your reviews

Thanks Troya, I appreciate that. And trust me, I'll go into every detail when I see it.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   3 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2016 7:32 am

More negitive reviews on Ghostbusters 2016.

This one says that Kate McKinnon is the only good new Ghostbuster. I actually agree with that since she does have a great attitude from what I've seen in the trailers.

Update: Her character is sexually ambiguous. I don't care about that part. If they say her character is good enough to be the legitimately good new Ghostbuster like many say, then I can handle that.
Back to top Go down
evolution_rex
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
evolution_rex

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   3 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2016 8:58 pm

China has banned Ghostbusters because of their no-ghost rule. It's unfortunate that China has that kind of stuff, but on the bright side (in my opinion), it means that this will make barely anything in its international release. That mixed with the huge amount of money they must have had spent on marketing and the negative word of mouth the movie has received, this may not actually be the box office success I was beginning to think it would be.

However, it's still in a good position because the only movie right now that could possibly compete is Secret Life of Pets, and the next biggest movie doesn't come out until the 22nd, if I remember correctly. There is plenty of room for it to make money.

Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   3 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 13, 2016 10:28 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:

This one says that Kate McKinnon is the only good new Ghostbuster. I actually agree with that since she does have a great attitude from what I've seen in the trailers.

Update: Her character is sexually ambiguous. I don't care about that part. If they say her character is good enough to be the legitimately good new Ghostbuster like many say, then I can handle that.

Kate seems to be a huge point of debate in this film. From a lot of the reviews I read that mention her, it seems like she's a "love it or hate it" character.

I'm interested to see how we all feel about her.
Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   3 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2016 9:52 am

Troyal1 wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

Kate seems to be a huge point of debate in this film. From a lot of the reviews I read that mention her, it seems like she's a "love it or hate it" character.

I'm interested to see how we all feel about her.

Well tonight is the night I'm seeing it, so I'll let you know my own opinion. Razz

A review I watched last night from the channel schmoesknows had two guys, and one thought the entire cast had good chemistry, while the other thought McKinnon seemed like she was in another film. I remember that first negative review from WrecklessEating really liked McKinnon despite hating the film. So I guess we'll see how it goes, but it seems like she's on the opposite of the socially awkward spectrum from Egon, which is who everyone assumed she'd be in this film.

Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   3 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 14, 2016 12:51 pm

Playboy posted a great article on the making of Ghostbusters: The Video Game, and since I don't want to post a link to Playboy here due to other adult content around that site, I'll post the text in a spoiler box below.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   3 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2016 3:54 am

Sorry in advance, I know this is like a triple post from me, but I have to update. Saw the new movie. First I'll talk non-spoilers, then, some spoilers.

So my quick, honest first impressions. It was alright. Out of a rating, I'm wavering somewhere around a 6.5 out of 10. Do not judge it by the trailers, a lot of the cringey bits actually worked much better in context. For all the "man hate" that was reported, I didn't find it nearly as bad as some made it out to be. There's some pretty stupid guys, and there's some assholes, but overall, it didn't really take away from it for me. A lot of the jokes land, and there aren't many that don't. It does tone down the laughs for action in the third act.

The villain is bland. I do admit I had some issues here. I'll get into those more in the spoilers, but he seems to be sort of that first villain for the sake of a potential franchise to setup the origin story.

The GBs are honestly mostly great. Erin (Wiig) is probably my least favorite because she's smart but awkward and has this huge crush she shows every time she's around Kevin. Abby (McCarthy) is a pretty good straight (wo)man type character. Holtzman (McKinnon) steals the show being sort of a reverse Egon, extremely smart but also outgoing and very weird. Patty (Jones) is actually great. I was really afraid she was going to be "loud, female Winston", but honestly, when she says she knows New York, she really knows a lot about the city and its history. Kevin (Hemsworth), despite ebing the stupid male character, was just hilarious.

So now spoilers, and my likes/dislikes.
Spoiler:

- The fact they do some of those "put down scenes" towards the women to make them look more badass when they triumph. Example: While fighting Rowan in Kevin's body he makes such great insults as "You shoot like a girl."

So, there's my review. Better than expected. It doesn't touch the original, but standing on its own, its decent. I downed this movie hard for over a year, so color me surprised that I ended up enjoying myself. And, I'm not mad at that. It's not the Ghostbusters film I wanted, but it's a film I enjoyed, another Ghostbusters film I got to enjoy at that. Everyone may not agree, and that's fine, but to use a quote from a film we all love here, "It could've been worse John. A lot worse."

Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   3 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2016 10:29 am

^well it sounds like marketing needs to step back and look at what they're putting out for trailers.
Back to top Go down
Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran
Sickle_Claw

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   3 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2016 8:23 pm

So...TDM was the after credits scene as bad as I thought?

Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   3 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2016 8:27 pm

Sickle_Claw wrote:
So...TDM was the after credits scene as bad as I thought?
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Levine
Veteran
Veteran
Levine

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   3 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2016 8:41 pm

Ghostbusters: Answer the Call gets a solid 8/10 from me.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   3 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2016 1:05 pm

From what I've heard, the Ghostbusters reboot is just an average movie. That wasn't really worth all the huge uproar. It's just...there.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   3 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2016 8:37 pm

So my parents went to GB earlier today and I wanted to share their thoughts. Neither of them are big fans of the franchise but they do like the original.

My mom gave it a 6/10 and my dad a 5.5/10.

Mom thought the trailer looked good while my dad thought the trailers looked terrible (for reference).

Basically they said a lot of what you guys are saying. Dad says some of the ghost designs are pretty cool but it looks a bit goofy(he compared it to haunted mansion). But he said it's not distracting in his opinion.

Mom and dad are very split on Kate McKinnon. Mom thinks her character was annoying but Dad liked it. They both found Kevin to be "meh"

They both pointed out that the movie is not as terrible as the trailers. In conclusion they said it was an entertaining movie, not really laugh out loud. They enjoyed themselves but they said unless you are a huge fan you should redbox it.

I know that's a bit brief but it's all I could get from them lol.
Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   3 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2016 5:59 pm

DPFAR

Ghostbusters sequel will "no doubt" happen, says Sony exec.

http://screenrant.com/ghostbusters-2016-sequel-no-doubt/
Back to top Go down
evolution_rex
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
evolution_rex

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   3 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2016 6:25 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
From what I've heard, the Ghostbusters reboot is just an average movie. That wasn't really worth all the huge uproar. It's just...there.
I disagree. The uproar was about how the media treated the naysayers as sexists and made the movie a political event. The movie was besides the point.

TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   3 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2016 7:14 pm

Well I saw the film again, my kids wanted to go so I decided to take them. And now, with all the negativity gone from my mind and such, I think it played even better to me. I'm actually going to bump up my original rating from 6.5 to a 7. I still don't think the film will work for everyone, but for what it is, I enjoyed it.

There were certain scenes I found myself just absolutely smiling at. It was a fun time.

Back to top Go down
Levine
Veteran
Veteran
Levine

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   3 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2016 9:15 pm

Troyal1 wrote:
DPFAR

I seriously hope that happens. I'm riding that this film gets an awesome sequel that puts GB2's sequel status to shame.

Expect a full, spoilery review from me in a few.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   3 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2016 6:02 pm

Richard Levine wrote:
Troyal1 wrote:
DPFAR

I seriously hope that happens. I'm riding that this film gets an awesome sequel that puts GB2's sequel status to shame.

Expect a full, spoilery review from me in a few.

If it happens, then I hoping that they can ret-con it and this movie into a modified version of GB3 via a 2 part series.

The Hollywood Reporter has a good article about the movie.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-analysis-why-ghostbusters-911836

Here's what Comic Book Girl 19 says about everything so far.

Ivan Reitman says the animated Ghostbusters movie was never real.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   3 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2016 6:33 pm

According to this, the Ghostbusters movie needs $300-$400 million, and Paul Feig said $500 million, to break even.

Here's one of the sources that it uses that say so.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Ghostbusters Thread   3 - The Ghostbusters Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Ghostbusters Thread
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next