Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

The Marvel Comics Thread

Go down 
+15
BarrytheOnyx
Baryonyx111
Bbrink1996
Troyal1
Island Queen
CT-1138
V.a.nublarensis
T-rex-king
Oshronosaurus
Katana
Sickle_Claw
Darth Spidey
TRK/TrexKing
Dead2009
TheDreamMaster
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 21  Next
AuthorMessage
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

The Marvel Comics Thread - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Marvel Comics Thread   The Marvel Comics Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2017 5:27 pm

The last Wolverine film is canon. Or I guess it was before DoFP, I sort of assume it still happened, because otherwise it's a pretty pointless entry, more so than Origins which at least more or less got overwritten and we don't need to speak of it again.

Also, Logan is canon, according to the director. http://comicbook.com/2017/01/23/logan-director-clarifies-hugh-jackmans-x-men-continuity-statemen/

Problem is, I feel like it'll get written out of continuity anyway. They want to continue the franchise, and a film like this kind of puts the cap on where things can go.

"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Marvel Comics Thread   The Marvel Comics Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2017 5:41 pm

It does feel like it's a matter of time before it gets non-canonized, or at least partly non-canonized. I guess it all depends upon how well it does and how the fanbase receives it.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
Scott B
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
Scott B

PostSubject: Re: The Marvel Comics Thread   The Marvel Comics Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2017 6:55 pm

They can just explain it away without decanonizing it. It just isn't part of the continuity of the main X-Men series. Which frankly is sort of not a big deal as it is since neither Jackman nor Stewart figure in the plans prominently, if at all in it. They won't be back so they don't need to make special plans/concessions for their iterations and can go anywhere with the story.

Would have liked a sequel to the Wolverine though. Sort of just cliffhangs.
Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The Marvel Comics Thread   The Marvel Comics Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2017 12:42 pm

Scott B wrote:
They can just explain it away without decanonizing it. It just isn't part of the continuity of the main X-Men series. Which frankly is sort of not a big deal as it is since neither Jackman nor Stewart figure in the plans prominently, if at all in it. They won't be back so they don't need to make special plans/concessions for their iterations and can go anywhere with the story.

Would have liked a sequel to the Wolverine though. Sort of just cliffhangs.

Well, I guess whatever they do with it can't make it feel more disjointed than the Wolverine series itself.

Wolverine: Origins: Terrible, and completely overwritten by DoFP. Can commed it because the awful things it did helped make better things, like Deadpool.

The Wolverine: Sort of canon. The Xavier cameo at the end I believe is hinting at being needed later for DoFP, but its further into the future. Rest of the film is probably non-canon to the First Class universe.

Logan: assumingly canon to the First Class/post-DoFP universe, further into the timeline. However, more than likely to be kicked out of canon, unless the entire X-universe is rebooted again.

"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Marvel Comics Thread   The Marvel Comics Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2017 6:29 pm

The Doctor Strange sequel might get horror genre elements.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

Back to top Go down
Oshronosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Oshronosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Marvel Comics Thread   The Marvel Comics Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2017 6:52 pm

on my own part, i actually liked Origins: Wolverine. that said, i'm not a fan of the original comics (as in i never read them, not that i tried and hated 'em; i bet i'd like them if i took the time to do so)--i guess i'd classify it as so-bad-it's-good, but i'd never say it's a favorite of mine. in relation to any other Marvel movies, i'd say the only thing to carry over from there besides Reynolds as a proper Deadpool would be to bring back Liev Schreiber as Sabretooth; i think he fits much better than whoever they had as him in the first X-Men movie

Join the Brethren!
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Marvel Comics Thread   The Marvel Comics Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2017 8:21 pm

I remember that Pro. X had a love fling with Lilandra, the empress/queen of an alien humaniod bird race. Does Fox have the right to all members or does Marvel still own those rights?

Also, I heard they are cold-blooded. How can they be cold-blooded if they evolved from birds?

Back to top Go down
Scott B
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
Scott B

PostSubject: Re: The Marvel Comics Thread   The Marvel Comics Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2017 8:50 pm

The Shi'ar are owned by Fox.

Same way we and birds evolved from fish. Razz
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Marvel Comics Thread   The Marvel Comics Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2017 8:54 pm

If the Shi'ar are owned by Fox, then why haven't we seen them on film? We should have at least seen their Queen/Empress Lilandra, considering how her relationship with Xaiver?

Back to top Go down
Scott B
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
Scott B

PostSubject: Re: The Marvel Comics Thread   The Marvel Comics Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2017 9:07 pm

They haven't gone into space yet. Plus the Shi'ar aren't big names. We haven't had any films really even focus on the Summers family yet and they would be a much better gateway to the Shi'ar than Xavier, since their father is Corsair, a space pirate/hero with dealings with the Shi'ar. Had Scott and Alex Summers been a focal point earlier, they might have been introduced earlier.

Xavier's bigger love interest in the one that has been in the films a few times already, Moira MacTaggert.

Given the title of the new movie and a link to the Dark Phoenix, they have a good chance of showing up now.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Marvel Comics Thread   The Marvel Comics Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2017 9:22 pm

I'm surprised that they didn't give Marvel the rights back like they did with Ego.

Speaking of Ego..Here's what his costume looks like.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Marvel Comics Thread   The Marvel Comics Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2017 5:49 pm

This article talks about why modern superhero movies don't don't win Oscars.

The Academy tends to hold the present slate of superhero movies accountable for the poor performances of past projects – sort of a “sins of the father” – style prejudice. wrote:

The problem most likely lies with the Academy’s demographics, since as of 2012 the median age of voters was 62 – not, traditionally, the audience that has the most passion for superhero movies. Comic books have always been pigeon-holed as a children’s property, and it make senses that label would carry over to any subsequent big screen endeavors. That misguided labeling certainly isn’t dispelled when every superhero movie has its own mega toy line. wrote:

Back to top Go down
Scott B
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
Scott B

PostSubject: Re: The Marvel Comics Thread   The Marvel Comics Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2017 7:03 pm

Join the Academy then people! Wink
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Marvel Comics Thread   The Marvel Comics Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2017 4:48 pm

News about the Black Panther movie.

Andy Serkis will reprise his role as Ulysses Klaw and Michael B. Jordan, AKA The Other Michael Jordan, will be Erik Killmonger.

The rest of the cast is pretty impressive too.

Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The Marvel Comics Thread   The Marvel Comics Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2017 4:52 pm

With Martin Freeman and Andy Serkis in Black Panther, I wonder if they will get screen time together. My inner LOTR/Hobbit fanboy would squee with delight at seeing Bilbo and Gollum onscreen again!

The Marvel Comics Thread - Page 5 Dinosa12
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Marvel Comics Thread   The Marvel Comics Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2017 5:00 pm

I can't help but wonder if they make Klaw the grandson/great-grandson of Red Skull. After all, in the comics he's either the son of/grandson of an SS officer, or something like that. Since Red Skull probably isn't coming back (though it's not impossible), this is most likely the closest we'll get.

Back to top Go down
Scott B
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
Scott B

PostSubject: Re: The Marvel Comics Thread   The Marvel Comics Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2017 12:36 am

Michael Jordan is everywhere. And that officially seals any hope for F4 2....uh...the fourth F4. But he joined the good side.

I am sure Freeman and Serkis will get a scene. Just because they are on opposite sides and Freeman is a big profile character...he might just gloat once more...which is awesome still.

I want to see Ross and Strange meet, just cuz three times is the charm for eggs Benedict and Freeman.

I doubt Klaw will be his kid. We don't exactly know where Skull goes but it doesn't seem like Earth. He would have been a neat Collector piece like Stan Lee was supposed to be.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Marvel Comics Thread   The Marvel Comics Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2017 12:54 am

It's actually would have been the 5th(!) F4 movie if you count the officially unreleased Roger Corman as the first one. But considering how Fox & Josh Trank rendered the F4 toxic, at least in the hands of Fox, there was never going to be a sequel to a movie that was considered one of the worst, if not THE worst, of 2015. Even if they found the best people to either make a sequel or reboot it again (of course), the fan base would have never trusted Fox and it would bombed even worse.

Speaking of which, is it possible that the Corman movie will EVER get an official release on DVD?

Back to top Go down
Scott B
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
Scott B

PostSubject: Re: The Marvel Comics Thread   The Marvel Comics Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2017 1:21 am

Not really. That movie was neither produced by Fox nor Marvel and it likely wouldn't be worth the money for assumed Marvel to release it (well besides the fact they'd start off with a loss by having to pay off Fox to release that film--I am speculating Marvel had it as Arad purchased the film and destroyed copies to protect the brand). Aside from the trailers that have been released and perhaps a recording of the SDCC event, the only way to see anything of the film is to illegally find recorded copies of it somewhere. Unfortunately that is illegal.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Marvel Comics Thread   The Marvel Comics Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2017 1:30 am

Yeah, I did hear that bootlegs are the only way how to get them. I heard Brad Jones say that version is the best when he and Dave reviewed the 2015 mess. Go figure. The movie they destroyed to protect the brand was the best one made to date while the worst one is still out on DVD and Blu-Ray for whole world to see how it destroyed the brand, at least with Fox.

Ironic isn't it?

Back to top Go down
Scott B
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
Scott B

PostSubject: Re: The Marvel Comics Thread   The Marvel Comics Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2017 1:36 am

Yeah, irony. Rusty irony.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Marvel Comics Thread   The Marvel Comics Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2017 2:04 pm

The New York Times killed off it's best selling comics page.

Declining comic sales had to have been a huge reason.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Marvel Comics Thread   The Marvel Comics Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2017 7:58 pm

The writers of Deadpool say that a crossover with Wolverine can ‘Absolutely Work’.

That would be a fun movie to see.

Back to top Go down
Scott B
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
Scott B

PostSubject: Re: The Marvel Comics Thread   The Marvel Comics Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2017 8:18 pm

I find the irony very funny. A dinosaur killed off a section about a dinosaur because the latter dinosaur may be flagging in sales. NYT is about as relevant now as comics apparently are--if you didn't get my original meaning. I think the public cares as much about the Times doing that as much as they care about the Times....not so much.

Yeah they just need Hugh Jackman to sign off. The dude has been looking for an out since before Days of Future Past.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Marvel Comics Thread   The Marvel Comics Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2017 8:48 pm

I still wonder when Disney is going to take charge over the comics division and stops the SJW crap that the comics have been preaching. Just because Disney is in another golden age doesn't mean that they can allow the comics to keep on sinking. It has to end sooner or later.

Olivia Holt and Aubrey Joseph have been confirmed to be 'Cloak and Dagger' in the Marvel/Freeform TV series.

Back to top Go down
Scott B
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
Scott B

PostSubject: Re: The Marvel Comics Thread   The Marvel Comics Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2017 9:01 pm

Disney won't touch anything unless they hemorrhage money and/or Bob Iger is out as CEO. He has a policy of letting subsidiaries do their thing. Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilm Ltd. are symbols of that.

I don't think he has forcibly taken command of any of them besides asserting a deadline for movies to get out.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Marvel Comics Thread   The Marvel Comics Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2017 9:16 pm

But aren't the comics already hemorrhaging cash as it is? Also, how much money percentage wise does Sony have to share money with Disney/Marvel Studios via the new Spider Man money?

Back to top Go down
Scott B
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
Scott B

PostSubject: Re: The Marvel Comics Thread   The Marvel Comics Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2017 9:37 pm

I don't think they are a major division to Disney. And comics were already pretty low sellers at this point (at the time they bought Marvel as well) unless you are Batman. But maybe I am wrong.

I am not sure, but I am guessing a bit. Sony is essentially getting free cash though as they don't have to spend to develop or produce movies, just sit back while Marvel and Disney do the grunt work. I would wager north of 50% for Spider-man but not much more. Then again it could be delegated by cash per country or something (Sony gets 65% of the US and Disney gets 60% of China, etc idk).
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Marvel Comics Thread   The Marvel Comics Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2017 9:58 pm

Scott B wrote:
I am not sure, but I am guessing a bit. Sony is essentially getting free cash though as they don't have to spend to develop or produce movies, just sit back while Marvel and Disney do the grunt work. I would wager north of 50% for Spider-man but not much more. Then again it could be delegated by cash per country or something (Sony gets 65% of the US and Disney gets 60% of China, etc idk).

Given that we now know just how much trouble Sony is in, I can't help but wonder how much money it needs to make for the head honchos at Sony to be happy. If it's 50/50 then it needs to make at least $800 million for it to work for Sony. Marvel Studios can afford a lower then expected return via all their other films more then making up for that, but Sony can't.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Marvel Comics Thread   The Marvel Comics Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2017 8:03 pm

Alternate Armored Star Lord/Peter Quill art is released.

These were designs for the first 'Guardians Of The Galaxy'. I actually really like the armor designs since it fits him being a scavenger in space while not taking anything away from the basic idea.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Marvel Comics Thread   The Marvel Comics Thread - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Marvel Comics Thread
Page 5 of 21Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 21  Next