Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

The Overall Disney Thread

Go down 
+15
V.a.nublarensis
BarrytheOnyx
Rhedosaurus
tigris115
CT-1138
Dead2009
Minmi
DeiXnonychus
GwrChurchward
Sickle_Claw
Scott B
TheDreamMaster
Troyal1
Dr. Wu
Oshronosaurus
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 10, 2017 6:17 pm

Disney Shelves 'Jack and the Beanstalk' Film 'Gigantic' 
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/disney-shelves-jack-beanstalk-film-gigantic-1047482?utm_source=twitter&utm_source=Direct&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 11, 2017 2:49 am

Dead2009 wrote:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/disney-shelves-jack-beanstalk-film-gigantic-1047482?utm_source=twitter&utm_source=Direct&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Modern Disney: Not Moving Forward...

This was the one Disney Animated film that I was really looking forward to, I wasn't all that interested in Wreck it Ralph 2 or Frozen 2. Now there's nothing that I'm looking forward to, and that's supposing that they don't go through with a new animated feature.

In fact, the lack of announcements for releases in the 2020s has me very worried.

3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 8 Dinosa12
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 11, 2017 6:58 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Dead2009 wrote:

Modern Disney: Not Moving Forward...

This was the one Disney Animated film that I was really looking forward to, I wasn't all that interested in Wreck it Ralph 2 or Frozen 2. Now there's nothing that I'm looking forward to, and that's supposing that they don't go through with a new animated feature.

In fact, the lack of announcements for releases in the 2020s has me very worried.

I can't help but wonder if they are leaning on the MCU, Star Wars, and rebooting their 1990's movies too much.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 11, 2017 7:13 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:

I can't help but wonder if they are leaning on the MCU, Star Wars, and rebooting their 1990's movies too much.

I mean, it's been clear to me that an original live action Disney movie (that isn't Marvel or Lucasfilm or based on an already existing Disney property) is becoming increasingly rare. But the idea of Disney not relying on their Animation branch period is just alien to me, this is what they're most famous for.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 11, 2017 7:26 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

I mean, it's been clear to me that an original live action Disney movie (that isn't Marvel or Lucasfilm or based on an already existing Disney property) is becoming increasingly rare. But the idea of Disney not relying on their Animation branch period is just alien to me, this is what they're most famous for.

Is Frozen 2 still in development? Because that and Wreck It Ralph 2 are the closest things I can think of. And even then, I can not think of any more animated things they are doing.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

Back to top Go down
Scott B
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
Scott B

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 11, 2017 7:59 pm

Disney doesn't have to rely on their animation branch anymore. Their subsidiaries mentioned above paired with Pixar is enough. And honestly I think Disney now sees Pixar as sort of its animation wing. Doubly true now that John Lasseter has taken over.

Roy E. Disney's death signaled the end of a comprehensive library of original animated works out of the main company, in my opinion. He was the last bastion. The last Disney.

Disney is almost Rome-like at the height of that empire's decadence. So bloated and vestigial, they were kept afloat not by the power of the home nation but the satellite nations they conquered. In Disney's case it is sustained by its children companies rather than itself. Actually, makes me wonder how many animated films Disney is producing out of its lesser known brands like Touchstone...hmm...
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 11, 2017 8:49 pm

Scott B wrote:
Disney doesn't have to rely on their animation branch anymore. Their subsidiaries mentioned above paired with Pixar is enough. And honestly I think Disney now sees Pixar as sort of its animation wing. Doubly true now that John Lasseter has taken over.

Roy E. Disney's death signaled the end of a comprehensive library of original animated works out of the main company, in my opinion. He was the last bastion. The last Disney.

Disney is almost Rome-like at the height of that empire's decadence. So bloated and vestigial, they  were kept afloat not by the power of the home nation but the satellite nations they conquered. In Disney's case it is sustained by its children companies rather than itself. Actually, makes me wonder how many animated films Disney is producing out of its lesser known brands like Touchstone...hmm...

It makes you wonder how long Disney can keep this up before they go back to animation again.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 12, 2017 5:46 pm

Disney/ABC TV will do corporate downsizing via cost-cutting and restructuring.

It's only a matter of time before they do the same thing to the comic book branch of Marvel.

Back to top Go down
Scott B
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
Scott B

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 12, 2017 7:36 pm

Disney can keep this up indefinitely if they wanted. They are set to have the biggest share of the domestic market in years, perhaps decades, this year. They have over a quarter share on it without the release of Thor and Star Wars and their biggest competition in WB only has Justice League which will effectively be canceled by one of those pictures. They could see close to a third of the market share when it is all said and done. All without much of an animated portfolio to speak of this year and basically all of it coming from their junior companies.

It may be years down the line.
Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 12, 2017 9:09 pm

‘Hocus Pocus’ Was Originally a Scarier Film Titled ‘Halloween House’
http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3464506/hocus-pocus-originally-scarier-film-titled-halloween-house/

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 19, 2017 6:38 pm

Tron 3 still isn't dead yet. And Jared Leto is involved.

I think a Tron trilogy could have worked, but Tron: Legacy came out 10-15 years too late for that to have ever been a truly successful franchise.

Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 20, 2017 5:02 am

I find it odd that they're trying to propel Leto forward as the man to frontline this TRON series, and not Elijah Wood. I know he's not in front of the camera these days (at least not as much as behind it with voice acting), but I feel like he could and should have been an A-lister by now. And he's voiced the main character, Beck, on the TRON animated show, and he still looks like his show character. To me, I think there's an opportunity to show a program becoming human and the trials and tribulations that come with it while still retaining a connection to The Grid (you don't want to lose that completely or borrow too much from something like Enchanted or Masters of the Universe).

This bit of news hit a few days ago, and I had some thoughts on it:
Angelina Jolie Lends Voice to Disney’s 'One and Only Ivan' as the baby elephant Stella

If this was twenty to sixty years ago, this would have been the perfect set up for a traditionally animated film, I'd even take a CGI animated film. But he implication I'm getting is that its going to be live action, and that Jolie is playing a baby elephant. Odd. It could be like Pete's Dragon, it could be heartwarming and charming, but you feel like this is an animated movie waiting to be made.

Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 02, 2017 2:08 pm

Hans Zimmer set to score The Lion King once again for Jon Favreau

After all, this IS the film that won him the academy award for best original score, so this is him returning to what made him big in the first place. Any objections here?

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 02, 2017 5:32 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Hans Zimmer set to score The Lion King once again for Jon Favreau

After all, this IS the film that won him the academy award for best original score, so this is him returning to what made him big in the first place. Any objections here?

I just wish that Jeremy Irons was cast as Scar again.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 17, 2017 7:50 pm

The trailer for Incredibles 2 will be released tomorrow.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 21, 2017 6:01 pm

John Lasseter has taken ale ave of absence due to (of coarse) sexual harassment allegations.

I'm not against this all coming out, with so much of them, I can't tell which ones are real and which ones are fake.

Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 21, 2017 6:36 pm

Compared to those who already have been exposed like Weinstein, Louis C.K. and Kevin Spacey which involved deflection of blame or other self-serving comments, the Lasster case seems to be one where the man seems regretful and contrite about his actions. He's not being booted from Disney entirely, but this is still not going to look good for the long-time king of animation. I have to wonder if the shelving of Giant is somehow connected, and this was something that was long in the gestation.

Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 21, 2017 8:20 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
John Lasseter has taken ale ave of absence due to (of coarse) sexual harassment allegations.

I'm not against this all coming out, with so much of them, I can't tell which ones are real and which ones are fake.

Quote :
Collectively, you mean the world to me, and I deeply apologize if I have let you down. I especially want to apologize to anyone who has ever been on the receiving end of an unwanted hug or any other gesture they felt crossed the line in any way, shape, or form. No matter how benign my intent, everyone has the right to set their own boundaries and have them respected.

Oh no....... The hug part.

Also there are at least 7 other big stories being worked on supposedly.
https://twitter.com/MarkHarrisNYC/status/932737623352905729
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 23, 2017 6:46 pm

According to this, even if another studio buys 20th Century Fox, Disney/Marvel would probably still get the rights to the Marvel properties Fox owns.

Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 30, 2017 11:14 am

Mulan: Disney Casts Chinese Actress Liu Yifei in the Lead Role
Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/906049-mulan-disney-casts-chinese-actress-liu-yifei-in-the-lead-role#sgt9v7dszBiBDPCl.99

Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 07, 2017 12:50 pm

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 07, 2017 5:19 pm

It looks like the Disney buyout of 20th Century Fox will result in Disney controlling 39%, probably a bit more, of the movie business.

Back to top Go down
V.a.nublarensis
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
V.a.nublarensis

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 07, 2017 5:38 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
It looks like the Disney buyout of 20th Century Fox will result in Disney controlling 39%, probably a bit more, of the movie business.
I'm really not happy about this. I don't want to see a world where Disney monopolizes the entire film industry.
Back to top Go down
SmugTheFab
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
SmugTheFab

Location : In my den, rubbing my hands together and laughing maniacally.

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 07, 2017 5:44 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:

First...the studios. Then...the world!

Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 08, 2017 8:25 pm

Incredibles 2 Image Picks Up Where the First Film Ended
Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/908235-incredibles-2-image#Qvl7K0XqKGU3JUDe.99

Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 19, 2017 5:09 pm

Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 13, 2018 5:22 pm

‘The Jungle Book 2’ Will Resurrect Unused Disney Ideas, Explore More Rudyard Kipling Stories

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-jungle-book-2-details/

Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 14, 2018 11:26 am

Dead2009 wrote:
‘The Jungle Book 2’ Will Resurrect Unused Disney Ideas, Explore More Rudyard Kipling Stories

Odd that they're actually going through with this. I mean, the prospect of a more faithful take on The Jungle Book from Andy Serkis and Warner Bros has already gotten people wondering aloud if that's a good idea from a box office standpoint. Is "Jungle Book saturation" a thing we may come face to face with?

Honestly, if Disney wanted to do more jungle movies, I'd be somewhat more open to them doing a live action adaptation of their take on Tarzan. But after getting burned by John Carter bombing, I think they'll be avoiding Edgar Rice Burroughs for the foreseeable future.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 14, 2018 6:00 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Dead2009 wrote:

Honestly, if Disney wanted to do more jungle movies, I'd be somewhat more open to them doing a live action adaptation of their take on Tarzan. But after getting burned by John Carter bombing, I think they'll be avoiding Edgar Rice Burroughs for the foreseeable future.

That's because they can't. I remember reading in Total Film magazine a few years ago that the ERB estate was so angry about how the John Carter movie bombed, that they took back the rights and are deciding to sell off the movie rights to the highest bidder. It's a lot like what the Crichton estate plans to do with the JP movie rights.

Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 15, 2018 5:03 am

Rhedosaurus wrote:

That's because they can't. I remember reading in Total Film magazine a few years ago that the ERB estate was so angry about how the John Carter movie bombed, that they took back the rights and are deciding to sell off the movie rights to the highest bidder. It's a lot like what the Crichton estate plans to do with the JP movie rights.

Then the ERB estate are shrewd when it comes to their Boroughs properties. And honestly, I would do the same in their situation.

Not to sound paranoid, but part of me wonders if the higher ups at Disney had some hand in setting up John Carter to flop (with the bad marketing, pumping too much money into it and not giving it enough star power to grab audience interest) so that they could refocus their resources on buying Lucasfilm and of course making a fortune off of Star Wars.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Overall Disney Thread   3 - The Overall Disney Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Overall Disney Thread
Page 8 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next