Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE)

Go down 
+9
Levine
Jurassic Gabo
Tarbtano
Spinosaur4.4
Océane
DoYouKnowTheMuffinMan?
Sickle_Claw
Paleoman
evolution_rex
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
evolution_rex
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
evolution_rex

3 - JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE)   3 - JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 7:32 pm

I'll wait until the end of the day for the poll to end, but it looks like Florida is winning.

After we figure out the location, the next step should be to figure out the specific area in the location. I personally suggest finding a general area and then creating a fictional plot of land with the geography we want. The other option is actually going through the trouble to find the exact locations and mapping a real life location. That sounds harder t me, but it depends on whatever one else wants.

http://letterboxd.com/evolution_rex/
Océane
Océane

PostSubject: Re: JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE)   3 - JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 10:32 pm

evolution_rex wrote:
I'll wait until the end of the day for the poll to end, but it looks like Florida is winning.

After we figure out the location, the next step should be to figure out the specific area in the location. I personally suggest finding a general area and then creating a fictional plot of land with the geography we want. The other option is actually going through the trouble to find the exact locations and mapping a real life location. That sounds harder t me, but it depends on whatever one else wants.
Well, I'm looking for what little land isn't a major city or wildlife reserve, but an important factor, how large (square miles) should the park be?
Edit: How is This? It's roughly 2 miles across each side.
3 - JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE) - Page 2 Land_10

Last edited by RaptorLover0823 on Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gojira2014
Hatchling
Hatchling
Gojira2014

PostSubject: Re: JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE)   3 - JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 10:37 pm

RaptorLover0823 wrote:
evolution_rex wrote:

Well, I'm looking for what little land isn't a major city or wildlife reserve, but an important factor, how large (square miles) should the park be?

Around the size of Isla Sorna, about 420 square miles

Océane
Océane

PostSubject: Re: JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE)   3 - JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 10:56 pm

Gojira2014 wrote:

Sorna was around 20-40 square miles. 420 square miles is waaay out of the question. But I can try for something that size, but it will have to go over minor roadways.

Gojira2014
Hatchling
Hatchling
Gojira2014

PostSubject: Re: JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE)   3 - JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 11:01 pm

RaptorLover0823 wrote:
Gojira2014 wrote:

Sorna was around 20-40 square miles. 420 square miles is waaay out of the question. But I can try for something that size, but it will have to go over minor roadways.

I'm sure that we'll find a way. Also, I think you're referring to the Novel Canon's Sorna. I was referring to the Film Canon's Sorna, based on the map by JPLegacy (RIP). Apologies for the mix up.

evolution_rex
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
evolution_rex

PostSubject: Re: JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE)   3 - JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 11:04 pm

I think we'd have to end up with something smaller than 420 square miles, since it's on the mainland.

Also, I thought about a lore-friendly explanation on how we can buy out land that was given to national parks; people have illegally taken dinosaurs to Florida and some have escaped into the national parks, killing a ton of wildlife. Feeling that a good portion of the land now belongs to the dinosaurs, the government agrees to let our company buy it out if it means containing them.

Océane
Océane

PostSubject: Re: JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE)   3 - JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 11:12 pm

evolution_rex wrote:
I think we'd have to end up with something smaller than 420 square miles, since it's on the mainland.

Also, I thought about a lore-friendly explanation on how we can buy out land that was given to national parks; people have illegally taken dinosaurs to Florida and some have escaped into the national parks, killing a ton of wildlife. Feeling that a good portion of the land now belongs to the dinosaurs, the government agrees to let our company buy it out if it means containing them.
Boom we just got land like 10 miles across. so about 50-70 sq. miles to work with.

evolution_rex
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
evolution_rex

PostSubject: Re: JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE)   3 - JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 11:23 pm

What about buying out the entirety or most of Big Cypress National Park? Razz

Océane
Océane

PostSubject: Re: JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE)   3 - JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 15, 2016 11:27 pm

evolution_rex wrote:
What about buying out the entirety or most of Big Cypress National Park? Razz
That's a bit
Spoiler:

evolution_rex
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
evolution_rex

PostSubject: Re: JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE)   3 - JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 11:24 am

The OP has been updated with information. Florida is the official location of the park! Now we must decide the specific land to build our park on.

Do we want to find a real-life location or create a map of a fictional area in Florida?

Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran
Sickle_Claw

PostSubject: Re: JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE)   3 - JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 11:41 am

Maybe place it close to swamplands aka original disney?

Océane

PostSubject: Re: JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE)   3 - JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 11:47 am

evolution_rex wrote:
Do we want to find a real-life location or create a map of a fictional area in Florida?
We could steamroll over Green Swamp wilderness preserve. We'll just say that irresponsible pet owners turned venomous snakes into an invasive species of the park, tearing the ecosystem to shreds. So eventually the land was put up for sale by the state government.
About 20 miles across E-W, and 30ish miles across N-S. 109064 acres!

evolution_rex
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
evolution_rex

PostSubject: Re: JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE)   3 - JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 12:06 pm

The Green Swamp seems like a small enough national preserve that it seems plausible enough that the government would let it go. Maybe take half of it?

Océane
Océane

PostSubject: Re: JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE)   3 - JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 12:35 pm

evolution_rex wrote:
The Green Swamp seems like a small enough national preserve that it seems plausible enough that the government would let it go. Maybe take half of it?
That gives us 85 sq. miles, twice as large as disneyworld. since we're holding the largest land animals the planet's ever seen, I think this size works.
Ps, Disney World is only 15 miles away!

Gondrasia
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Gondrasia

PostSubject: Re: JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE)   3 - JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 1:36 pm

A large island located in the middle of Lake Okeechobee would probably be good.

The location and the island itself would be between 3 major Floridean cities; Miami, Tampa and Orlando. It would also probably meet with approval from both the US government and the citizens, since the lake can be used as a moat to prevent small carnivores such as Compsognathus from escaping into the wilderness, when considering Florida's problem with exotic snakes such as the Burmese Python.

The island's dimensions in Lake Okeechobee

Length - 25.72 miles
Width - 18.95 miles
Area - 487.39 square miles

Last edited by Gondrasia on Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Océane
Océane

PostSubject: Re: JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE)   3 - JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 2:18 pm

We found our land lads! Thank you Gondrasia! Now what?
update: Nah, I'm sticking with green swamp, it's a lot more practical than creating an atificial island of that size when we have ready to use land right there.

Last edited by RaptorLover0823 on Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
evolution_rex
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
evolution_rex

PostSubject: Re: JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE)   3 - JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 2:26 pm

Lake Okeechobee is unusually shallow, so it wouldn't be implausible to do it. I guess it's weird because it's such a big lake and sort of a landmark and to essentially fill up the center of it with an amusement park seems wrong, even though it's hypothetical. Razz

But it would give us a good area of space and would allow us to build the kind of geography we want, so I'm for it. I'm not sure if this one needs to be voted on, but I think we can talk about it more before making a final decision.

DoYouKnowTheMuffinMan?
Embryo
Embryo
DoYouKnowTheMuffinMan?

PostSubject: Re: JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE)   3 - JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 8:59 pm

How about somewhere in the Everglades? I would love to be in the swampy alligator infested areas of the Everglades. I'm honestly thinking instead of building an actual amusement theme parked JP. Why not wall off swamp land in the Everglades with electric fencing and let nature run it's course. Let the people be charged to come visit a biological preserve. I think that is more appealing to ME.
Back to top Go down
evolution_rex
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
evolution_rex

PostSubject: Re: JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE)   3 - JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 9:47 pm

I think the everglades is too big, too iconic. That's why Green Swamp and Big Cypress are good choices. Who's going to start a twitter campaign against the demolishing of those places? Razz

And we could do both, honestly. One part be filled with dinosaurs that had entered the florida wild through the illegal actions of people, and one that is theme park orientated.

Océane
Océane

PostSubject: Re: JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE)   3 - JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 9:52 pm

DoYouKnowTheMuffinMan? wrote:
Why not wall off swamp land in the Everglades with electric fencing and let nature run it's course. Let the people be charged to come visit a biological preserve. I think that is more appealing to ME.
We aren't spending $3,000,000 on a herd of 20 Gallimimus just for them to be killed off. These individuals aren't disposable.
Also, (skip to 1:10)

Gondrasia
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Gondrasia

PostSubject: Re: JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE)   3 - JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2016 6:46 pm

Personally I truly believe that there are great advantages to building an island from scratch in Lake Okeechobee, rather than buying The Green Swamp and modifying the area so that it's just habitable for the dinosaurs:

1. The park will be built with both Mesozoic and modern animals in mind, and ensuring that escape from Jurassic Park will be next to impossible; While the creation of the island will certainly fill in most of Lake Okeechobee's area, the island will feature many rivers, watering holes etc. that will be connected to the lake through either the surface or underwater. This will allow species, such as the Largermouth bass, to still live in a relatively large area.

The fish can also be used as a possible secondary way of feeding the Spinosaurids and Pterosaurs in the park. The rivers in the island will also allow rides such as the Cretaceous Cruise/Jungle River Adventure to be built in a way that is satisfying and safe to both the visitors and the dinosaurs. The rest of the island is designed with the many planned rides and attractions specifically in mind to be large, comfortable, and safe for both dinosaurs and man.

The dimensions of the island will also preserve a relatively large area of open water for the modern wildlife that currently live in the lake, preserve the recreational fishing businesses that use the lake (perhaps Jurassic Park can make a deal with them, so that their visitors can use these businesses, if they want to fish). Another advantage with these dimensions, is that the remains of the lake can function as a moat: the alligators could eat escaped dinosaurs such as Ornitholestes and Velociraptor etc. Also with the planting of new plants (both modern and prehistoric) Jurassic Park in this location, would score highly with environmentalists.

2. Lake Okeechobee's environment will gain in the long term with Jurassic Park being built; Whilst it is true that Florida's citizens as well as the rest of the world will be concerned with the construction of a dinosaur theme park, when considering the problems the state has with exotic invasive species, and the lake's ecosystem will be affected in the short term with the creation of the island, fitting in all the necessary facilities such as waste disposal and fuel pipelines, and of course adding the genetically recreated fauna and flora.

In the long term everyone will be satisfied with Jurassic Park in Lake Okeechobee; The modern wildlife will be satisfied as they will still be able to live in their habitat and their ecosystem won't have changed much (for the most part), the genetically recreated wildlife will be satisfied as the island caters to pretty much all of their requirements (whether they are dinosaurs, pterosaurs, marine reptiles, plants etc.), and the people will be satisfied that the lake and its ecosystem is still intact (as well as local businesses), the island is safe and secure (with a dinosaur escape being very unlikely) and the newest additions to Lake Okeechobee's wildlife are well looked after and can be seen in safety, through a wide variety of rides and attractions.
Back to top Go down
DoYouKnowTheMuffinMan?
Embryo
Embryo
DoYouKnowTheMuffinMan?

PostSubject: Re: JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE)   3 - JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2016 6:47 pm

RaptorLover0823 wrote:
DoYouKnowTheMuffinMan? wrote:
Why not wall off swamp land in the Everglades with electric fencing and let nature run it's course. Let the people be charged to come visit a biological preserve. I think that is more appealing to ME.
We aren't spending $3,000,000 on a herd of 20 Gallimimus just for them to be killed off. These individuals aren't disposable.
Also, (skip to 1:10)

Haha, they weren't technically killed off on Sorna. But I see your point.
Back to top Go down
evolution_rex
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
evolution_rex

PostSubject: Re: JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE)   3 - JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2016 11:27 pm

Alright, I've been convinced for building a park in the middle of Lake Okeechobee. Should I do a poll or are we okay with this?

Océane
Océane

PostSubject: Re: JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE)   3 - JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2016 3:54 am

I'd like a poll

evolution_rex
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
evolution_rex

PostSubject: Re: JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE)   3 - JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2016 9:53 pm

Sorry for the delay. Poll #2 is up!

GwrChurchward
Embryo
Embryo

PostSubject: Re: JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE)   3 - JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2016 11:46 pm

Key Largo would work an it is isolated enough to contain any problems.
Back to top Go down
Gondrasia
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Gondrasia

PostSubject: Re: JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE)   3 - JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2016 6:17 pm

The Everglades is currently the popular choice at the moment in the poll, but I can't help but consider the possible advantages and disadvantages to building Jurassic Park in this location:

Advantages

The Everglades are a national park, it's located in a relatively quiet and isolated location, a suitable location then for a dinosaur theme park.

Disadvantages

However building in a national park, especially one as famous, as prestigious and as unique as the Everglades, is a double edged sword. And because of this, I doubt Florida's citizens, the Government and the EPA would be willing to lease much of the land for Jurassic Park, around about 20 or 30 square miles at the most.

National Parks also have very strict rules and regulations, this would give us several severe limitations as to what species can be recreated, what buildings can be built and what materials they're made of, and what attractions can be built. Due to this environment, only species that lived in specialised locations such as the Everglades can live in the park, such as Baryonyx and Deinocheirus.

Then there's transportation and traffic issues, there is only one main road that goes through the Everglades and could possibly reach the park, and that is State Road 9336. If Jurassic Park is built here, the traffic would become very heavy and could cause pollution and damage to the surrounding area on the road.

Conclusion

In conclusion, I personally find that The Everglades are a good location for a secondary park, a side attraction to the main park, the site for a "natural" lost world perhaps. But for the Everglades to be used as the location for an inevitably very popular dinosaur theme park, probably not a good idea.
Back to top Go down
evolution_rex
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
evolution_rex

PostSubject: Re: JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE)   3 - JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2016 7:18 pm

I voted 'none of the above' because I can't really decide which one works. All the national parks in Florida are, you know, National Parks. Using them as the location for any theme park is sort of frustrating even if we have a come up with lore like invasive dinosaur species are ruining the national parks so they sell off some to keep it in control.

So here is my proposal; we create a fictional 'uninhabited Floridian area' where we can make up any geography we want. They did this with Isla Nublar and Isla Sorna, I see no reason why we can't do it hear. It makes things a lot easier.

GwrChurchward
Embryo
Embryo

PostSubject: Re: JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE)   3 - JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2016 9:11 pm

I agree, that makes this easy.
Back to top Go down
evolution_rex
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
evolution_rex

PostSubject: Re: JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE)   3 - JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2016 9:39 pm

I'll wait until tomorrow to see if the vote for the Everglades is done, then I'll do another vote between fictional area Vs Everglades.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE)   3 - JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

JPP Builds A Park (INTERACTIVE)
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next