Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

Who do you want to direct JP 6?

Go down 
+15
NolaJP
Spinosaur4.4
The Beeg One
Six-Foot Turkey
evolution_rex
The Geeky Zoologist
Tyrant Lizard
Troyal1
Aegyptiacus3
K_Ozz92
dance2nite
owenpratt
BarrytheOnyx
Rhedosaurus
1morey
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Six-Foot Turkey
Triceratops
Triceratops
Six-Foot Turkey

Who do you want to direct JP 6? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 13, 2017 4:33 pm

NolaJP wrote:
Reeves is already talking about a Batman trilogy, so I have a feeling WB will have him wrapped up (and handsomely paid) for a very long time.

If Colin sticks to his word and assigns a different director for the 3 films, I think Brad Bird is the most likely candidate.  He and Colin are very close.  If some of you don't know, Lucasfilm had Bird for their first choice to direct Episode 7, but he was about to shoot Tomorrowland, an original project he had worked on for years.  Bird suggested that Colin be a "stand in" director for all of pre-production on Episode 7, and Bird would assume the director's chair for principal photography and post production.  Lucasfilm ultimately told Bird to choose one film or the other, and he stood on with Tomorrowland.

He will release Incredibles 2 next summer, which will most likely be a blockbuster hit with excellent reviews.  It will be perfect timing for him to tackle a big live-action tentpole.  My guess is JW3 will be the more hopeful film compared to Fallen Kingdom, like most 3rd parts of trilogies.  That lines up with Bird's filmmaking style.  

Honestly outside of Brad Bird, I think the other most likely candidate is Bayona, especially if Fallen Kingdom is another huge hit and critically better received than Jurassic World.  Colin and Spielberg may just say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Totally agree.
Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 16, 2017 12:54 pm

Honestly, I think it's going to be someone we're not thinking of. One of the themes so far in this trilogy has been hiring semi-unknown directors and giving them their first cracks at blockbuster films. Trevorrow was a virtual unknown when he was hired for JW, the only thing of note to his name being Safety Not Guaranteed. Bayona, while more established than Trevorrow at the time of his hiring, isn't exactly a household name yet either.

Matt Reeves, while an excellent choice, might be a little too established to fit the theme. Same goes for Brad Bird.

Who do you want to direct JP 6? - Page 2 Jpbann10
Back to top Go down
Six-Foot Turkey
Triceratops
Triceratops
Six-Foot Turkey

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 16, 2017 5:05 pm

Tyrant Lizard wrote:
Honestly, I think it's going to be someone we're not thinking of. One of the themes so far in this trilogy has been hiring semi-unknown directors and giving them their first cracks at blockbuster films. Trevorrow was a virtual unknown when he was hired for JW, the only thing of note to his name being Safety Not Guaranteed. Bayona, while more established than Trevorrow at the time of his hiring, isn't exactly a household name yet either.

Matt Reeves, while an excellent choice, might be a little too established to fit the theme. Same goes for Brad Bird.

Probably. But I think Jurassic deserves an established director to come on board.
Back to top Go down
Bbrink1996
Hatchling
Hatchling
Bbrink1996

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 16, 2017 6:52 pm

Isn't it a bit premature to be already talking about a director for JP6/JW2? I mean, we're still a year away from Fallen Kingdom, let alone a sequel to that. scratch
Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 16, 2017 6:52 pm

Six-Foot Turkey wrote:
Tyrant Lizard wrote:

Probably. But I think Jurassic deserves an established director to come on board.

Ehh. I actually like the strategy they're using. This way, you can be sure that the director won't simply be "going through the motions".

Who do you want to direct JP 6? - Page 2 Jpbann10
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 08, 2017 5:18 pm

In recent times, I'm starting to see the possibility that Rian Johnson will be directing Star Wars Episode IX, which in of itself is an echo of Matt Reeves' directing the second and third Planet of the Apes films (and the Russo Brothers directing The Winter Soldier and Civil War, after Joe Johnston). So it makes me wonder, if JW: Fallen Kingdom manages to exceed the JW in every sense of film quality and is no slouch at the box office, I think the chances that he could direct the sixth and final film is actually much higher than I originally thought.

Who do you want to direct JP 6? - Page 2 Dinosa12
Back to top Go down
dance2nite
Sorna Velociraptor
Sorna Velociraptor
dance2nite

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 08, 2017 7:57 pm

All depends if Bayona wants too? If he is not interested in going straight back to directing smaller films & he enjoyed his time on FK then he'll probably do it. I think it is now highly likely with Colin leaving SW that he will return with Derek to write the screenplay as it's their story this trilogy.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 08, 2017 8:04 pm

dance2nite wrote:
All depends if Bayona wants too? If he is not interested in going straight back to directing smaller films & he enjoyed his time on FK then he'll probably do it. I think it is now highly likely with Colin leaving SW that he will return with Derek to write the screenplay as it's their story this trilogy.

At this point, I'm not even sure if Colin and Derek will come back as scriptwriters. And even if they do, I see them being demoted as secondary writers while another new writer gets most of the influence.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
dance2nite
Sorna Velociraptor
Sorna Velociraptor
dance2nite

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 08, 2017 8:16 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
dance2nite wrote:

At this point, I'm not even sure if Colin and Derek will come back as scriptwriters. And even if they do, I see them being demoted as secondary writers while another new writer gets most of the influence.

Why? If FK is well received & has a better script than JW I see no reason why they won't come back & finish the story they started.
Back to top Go down
Herrerasaurus
Ankylosaurus
Ankylosaurus
Herrerasaurus

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 09, 2017 5:16 pm

If jw fallen kingdom does really well, then i can totally imagine ja boyana back as the director and colin writing again
Back to top Go down
Levine
Veteran
Veteran
Levine

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 9:16 am

Eh, lets give Joe Johnston another go. Razz
Back to top Go down
Six-Foot Turkey
Triceratops
Triceratops
Six-Foot Turkey

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 2:02 pm

Levine wrote:

nooooooooooooooooooooo please no
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 5:16 pm

Six-Foot Turkey wrote:
Levine wrote:

nooooooooooooooooooooo please no

That would repulse the fanbase so bad, that Universal would have to backtrack or Johnston would quit. The fanbase just does NOT trust him anymore. Was it all his fault? No, but a lot of it was.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
Levine
Veteran
Veteran
Levine

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 5:26 pm

Yeah, but...Honey I Shrunk the Embryos. Razz
Back to top Go down
Dr. Wu
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Wu

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 5:52 pm

The only films of Joe Johnston I like are Jumanji and Captain America: The First Avenger.

Last edited by Dr. Wu on Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 6:08 pm

I love a lot of Johnston's films, including The Rocketeer, Jumanji, October Sky, and Captain America: The First Avenger. In all of those films, you can tell that his direction is largely influenced by Spielberg and the sensibilities of the Amblin films. And I think if he had better actors and a good script to work with, and didn't start shooting until he had the script properly locked down, he could have delivered on a great JP film. But, he didn't get the chance because the script for the film we ultimately got was so sub-par. With all that said, I don't think he would entertain the idea of going back to the JP franchise after getting burned by the backlash JP3 accumulated over the years.

Who do you want to direct JP 6? - Page 2 Dinosa12
Back to top Go down
Six-Foot Turkey
Triceratops
Triceratops
Six-Foot Turkey

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 7:20 pm

Wasn't Joe gonna direct TLW?
Back to top Go down
dance2nite
Sorna Velociraptor
Sorna Velociraptor
dance2nite

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 18, 2017 7:22 pm

Six-Foot Turkey wrote:
Wasn't Joe gonna direct TLW?

He wanted too but Spielberg wanted to do another one but always said if there was a third film he would give to to Joe.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want to direct JP 6?   Who do you want to direct JP 6? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who do you want to direct JP 6?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2