Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise?

Go down 
+13
SmugTheFab
Rhedosaurus
CT-1138
Baryonyx111
owenpratt
NikoRex
Dilophosaurus
V.a.nublarensis
1morey
GeekyAustin
Tyrant Lizard
Dv-218
Mr. Robustus
17 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr. Robustus
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Mr. Robustus

What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise? Empty
PostSubject: What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise?   What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2018 12:55 pm

Self-explanatory. What do you think is the best and worst-looking creature in all five movies so far?

Favorite - The FK Carnotaurus. It looked really awesome, and surprisingly accurate, it's all I could wish for a Carnotaurus to look like in a JP movie. Also probably the best depiction of Carnotaurus in pop culture. I just wish the third Jurassic World go out of its way to give it more screentime, and a proper set piece.

Least Favorite/worst - The JW/FK Pteranodon. I think it's baffling that, of all the different Pteranodon designs we've had, this is the one the movies are sticking with. Everything about it is so incredibly ugly. At least it didn't appear that much in Fallen Kingdom (other than the pointless post-credit scene).

"Try to imagine yourself in the Late Quaternary. You get your first look at this six-foot Psittacosaurus as you enter a city. You stay still, because you think that maybe its visual acuity is based on movement. Maybe it's not all that bright. But no... not Homo sapiens. You stare at it, and it stares right back at you. And that's when it starts shooting you with this... THE GUN!" - Dr. Mongoliensis
Back to top Go down
Dv-218
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
Dv-218

PostSubject: Re: What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise?   What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2018 3:30 pm

Best: Imo the Tyrannosaurus. Not exactly accurate, but recognizable, striking and iconic. The male design is especially my favorite, I love the pronounced eyebrows, the green with stripes coloration and the grular pouch- makes it seem more like a living creature. Also, the roar is just perfect Very Happy
The carno actually comes close 2nd for me- I love the red pattern and how sleek and realistic it looks like Smile

Worst: Defenitely a tie between the JW/FK Pteranodons and the Dimorphodons. Not accurate, but not cool or aesthetically pleasing either. Pteranodon especially looks like the unholy offspring of a 60's movie pterodactyl and Dracula Laughing
Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise?   What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2018 3:33 pm

Gotta be the OG JP Tyrannosaurus. Such an iconic design. It has it's own unique look, but you can still totally tell exactly what it is.

The OG raptors, TLW compies and TLW Pteranodon are also contenders for best design imho.

The worst would probably be the JW Pterasaurs, and the JP3 brachio.

What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise? Jpbann10
Back to top Go down
Dv-218
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
Dv-218

PostSubject: Re: What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise?   What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2018 3:35 pm

^Good lord I forgot about the JP3 Brachios, their faces are the stuff of nightmares lol.

I completely agree on JP rex, such an iconic and effective design Smile
TLW pteranodons are still the best.
Back to top Go down
GeekyAustin
Embryo
Embryo
GeekyAustin

PostSubject: Re: What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise?   What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2018 11:39 pm

Best: All of the Tyrannosaurus designs. You can't beat the classic look. Also love the Velociraptors......

Worst: Though I don't hate it, the Brachiosaurus in JPIII never looked that good.

What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise? 34625181_1838427822876154_6752007074021900288_n
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4HAZwFtUEJpzdZq3ag
1morey
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
1morey

PostSubject: Re: What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise?   What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2018 1:00 am

My favorite designs are:

* TLW Male Velociraptors
* JPIII Female Velociraptors
* Tyrannosaurus male
* Mosasaurus
* Pachycephalosaurus
* Male Parasaurolophus
* Charlie
* Delta

Least favorite designs? I can't say I really have any.

In terms of design changes, never understood why the Apatosauruses were depicted as being green in the marketing material when they were still the exact same color from JW to JWFK.

Also, the Dilophosauruses from JP:TG. Color wise, they are vastly different from the one we saw in the film. (My headcanon is that that particular one was a male that had switched genders early one and it was never discovered.)

Otherwise, I'm glad they've somewhat kept consistency between the films with returning animals. The Compsognathuses, the Gallimimus (yes, some of the ones seen in JP had the dark striping like in the concept art, but it appears that there's a lot of individualism with them.), the Brachiosaurus, and Parasaurolophus too.
Back to top Go down
V.a.nublarensis
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
V.a.nublarensis

PostSubject: Re: What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise?   What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2018 1:04 am

My favorites are the Buck Rex and the original trilogy Raptors in general.

Worst is probably the JW Pteranodons. I don't understand why they don't just use the TLW design.
Back to top Go down
Dilophosaurus
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
Dilophosaurus

PostSubject: Re: What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise?   What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2018 3:20 am

1morey wrote:
My favorite designs are:

* TLW Male Velociraptors
* Male Parasaurolophus

I'm just curious what the differences are between the males and females in these two species? I have never noticed a difference.
Back to top Go down
NikoRex
Embryo
Embryo
NikoRex

PostSubject: Re: What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise?   What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2018 3:31 am

I like the Spinosaurus pretty much, aswell as the other dinosaurs from the movies.

My least favorite would be the JW Pteranodons aswell.
Back to top Go down
1morey
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
1morey

PostSubject: Re: What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise?   What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2018 5:06 am

Dilophosaurus wrote:
1morey wrote:
My favorite designs are:

* TLW Male Velociraptors
* Male Parasaurolophus

I'm just curious what the differences are between the males and females in these two species? I have never noticed a difference.

For the Velociraptors, the males are a burnt orange color with dark black stripes (think of Charlie, but orange and black). The female in the TLW is an orange-brown color, without the distinctive stripes.

Spoiler:

The Velociraptors in Jurassic Park are a more brownish color than the TLW females with some hints of orange.

Spoiler:

The female Parasaurolophus in JP is a greenish color, with blue on the spine, and a red crest:

What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise? Parasa10

Here's a fanmade rendition:

What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise? Jurassic_park_female_parasaurolophus__1993__by_felipered97-dahgctv

And a more stylized rendition (which I think is closer to the film design):

Spoiler:

Then in JP III, the Parasaurolophus are again green (presumably female) but with a blackish crest:

Spoiler:

The males are brown in color, with striping on their hips.

Spoiler:

What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise? DbQKh60WsAY8_9Q

The Parasaurolophus in Jurassic Park: The Game look similar to the males, but are greenish in color with a purplish hues:

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Dilophosaurus
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
Dilophosaurus

PostSubject: Re: What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise?   What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2018 6:20 am

Interesting, I knew about the different colours of the parasaurolophus throughout the movies but I always assumed that they were just slightly different versions like the JP3 raptors. I don't think that there's any actual confirmation that the variations are from sexual dimorphism is there?. If it was because of this, we would probably see both types mixed in the same herds on Sorna.

Didn't the colour also change again in Fallen Kingdom? It's hard to tell because the screentime is so limited.

Thanks for posting the raptor pic, it's very hard to see any variations between male and females in the actual movie but it's clear in the pic.
Back to top Go down
owenpratt
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise?   What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2018 6:48 am

Nice thread!

Favorite:

JP and TLW T-Rexes

JP and TLW Raptors, also Charlie and Echo from JW

JP3 Spinosaurus

JW Indominus Rex

FK Carnotaurus, Indoraptor and Stigymoloch

Least favorite:

JW Apatosaurus, Pteranodon and Dimorphodon

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/owenpratt93
Back to top Go down
1morey
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
1morey

PostSubject: Re: What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise?   What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2018 7:44 am

Dilophosaurus wrote:
Interesting, I knew about the different colours of the parasaurolophus throughout the movies but I always assumed that they were just slightly different versions like the JP3 raptors. I don't think that there's any actual confirmation that the variations are from sexual dimorphism is there?. If it was because of this, we would probably see both types mixed in the same herds on Sorna.

Didn't the colour also change again in Fallen Kingdom? It's hard to tell because the screentime is so limited.

Thanks for posting the raptor pic, it's very hard to see any variations between male and females in the actual movie but it's clear in the pic.

I think the closest to a real answer we can get is that there were multiple variants made.

Since the DPG doesn't address the Velociraptors, Pteranodons, Parasaurolophus or Brachiosaurus, it's safe to say that they weren't part of the illegal operations, and had already existed on the island.

The other thing we have, is we know that in the movies Triceratops, Velociraptors, Gallimimus (possibly) and Tyrannosauruses are sexually dimorphic. JW Gallimimus coloration is similar to some individuals in the JP flock. While the Gallis seen in TLW are mostly a brownish color. (Similar to the islanublar.jurassicworld.com image)

And in TLW, Stan Winston explicitly said they had to make male and female animals. So the JP Parasaurolophus are female, and the TLW Parasaurs are male. (The Mamenchisaurs, Pachycephalosaurs, and Stegosaurus don't show any distinct characteristics, while the Pteranodon seen in the ending is male, as they were going to include a female (which had a white head) in I believe the scrapped helicopter/pteranodon sequence.

I believe on the Jurassic World website (Or the Masrani Global website), it had stated that breeding was allowed, and it was heavily monitored.

So that would imply that the JW Parasaurs are also males (as they have the exact same coloration as the male in TLW).

The JP III Parasaurs could technically be male or female (or both), and there was a theory going around that they were green to blend in with Sorna's tropical environment, whereas the TLW Parasaurs were brown to blend with the more grassland environment of that part of Sorna. I lean more towards them being females as the ones in JP were female and also had a green coloration.

We already have precedence with Velociraptors and Tyrannosaurs that even the same gender can have variations. (The TLW and JP raptors, JP III, most of the male raptors have a white stripe, but one individual has a white dotted line, and Rexy and the Tyrannosaur Doe are differing shades of brown.)

Here's the dotted-line raptor:
What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise? Jurass10
Back to top Go down
Baryonyx111
Hatchling
Hatchling
Baryonyx111

PostSubject: Re: What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise?   What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2018 10:05 am

Favorites

-Dilophosaurus. Mainly for the coloration.

-TLW male raptors.

-TLW buck T.rex

-TLW pteranodon.

Worst designs

-JW pteranodons. (seems to be a popular opinion in this thread).

-JWFK Baryonyx. Looks too much like a dino-croc from a crappy sc-fi original. I really do wish they went with the original design from the JW website.

Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise?   What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2018 12:57 pm

Sadly, I think they won't change the Pteranodons design for JW3, for the sake of continuity (which is understandable).

..unless, you know, more companies making dinos might mean different version of the same dinosaurs...

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/owenpratt93
Back to top Go down
Dv-218
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
Dv-218

PostSubject: Re: What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise?   What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2018 1:52 pm

I actually don't mind the FK Baryonyx, I think it has a nice coloring and I even like the croc like aesthetic (although inaccurate). It's sound is pretty cool too. However, I do agree it looks way too much like a generic theropod crossed with a crocodile. The snouth should have defenitely been longer, and so are the arms and claw (it's not called heavy claw for nothing lol).

I think something like this would have been perfect:

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
CT-1138
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise?   What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2018 2:44 pm

My favorite is the TLW Male T. rex. Beautiful design, beautiful colors. I'm getting my Super Colossal repainted by Father Phantom Studio in those colors.

My least favorite would have to be the JW Pteranodons. Absolutely hideous. They're so shrinkwrapped they look like colorized skulls with eyeballs. Eugh!

1morey wrote:
Dilophosaurus wrote:
1morey wrote:
My favorite designs are:

* TLW Male Velociraptors
* Male Parasaurolophus

For the Velociraptors, the males are a burnt orange color with dark black stripes (think of Charlie, but orange and black). The female in the TLW is an orange-brown color, without the distinctive stripes.

Spoiler:

The Velociraptors in Jurassic Park are a more brownish color than the TLW females with some hints of orange.

Spoiler:

Great post, but I just want to make a few coloration corrections. The females in TLW are indeed a orangish brown color, but they actually DO have the stripes unlike their JP1 iteration. They're faint, but they're there:
Spoiler:

And that particular image of the JP1 female was of one of the animatronics that were reskinned in a more resilient material prior to being sold at auction. Therefore, the coloration, while close to the original, is not in fact the original coloration. Many do not realize just how close to their novel counterparts the original JP Raptors were designed to be. Many fans assume they were a plain speckled brown. They were in fact more yellow, and painted similarly to the Kenner Electric Raptor toy. Using a base of yellow-tinged paint overlaid with brown tones, this is very much how the 8 caged Raptors in the novel were described to be.
Spoiler:

http://abekowalski.deviantart.com/
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise?   What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2018 5:41 pm

Best:

1. The T. rex. Rexy and the T. rexes in The Lost World. THE iconic dinosaur of the Jurassic Park franchise and one of the most iconic dinosaurs design in movie history.

2. The Stegosaurus

3. Carnotaurus

4. Brachiosaurus

5. Triceratops

6. Velociraptors in JP3 and TLW.

Worst

1. JP3 Spinosaurus. This was basically one giant guess based on partial skeletons of 2 smaller relatives, Baryonyx and Suchomimus. Throw in how little actual remains were found and who made the recontruction, and you have a dinosaur that's the original made up JP dinosaur. At least with I. rex and Indoraptor, we knew we were getting made up dinosaurs.

2. The JW Pteranodons. A big downgrade from TLW Pteranodons.

3. Ceratosaurus: Not a bad design per se , just uninspired.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Robustus
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Mr. Robustus

PostSubject: Re: What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise?   What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2018 10:11 pm

Glad to know more people feel the same about the JW Pteranodon. Anyways, since you guys did more than one, might as well do the same.

Best:

- The Jurassic Park III Velociraptors. I love the colors and the enlarged snouts with more pronounced crests. I love that the males and female have different eyes. Other than these, I always thought the Velociraptors in the franchise as a whole are kind of bland-looking.
- T. rex (all of them). Self-explanatory. Though I must say I'm kind of surprised so many people like the Buck specifically, considering that the difference in color between it and the Doe isn't very evident throughout most of the movie, and we only see it in broad daylight for a few seconds during the epilogue.
- Spinosaurus. It looks very imposing and I like the color scheme, it's like a strange balance between colorful and toned-down.
- JP III Pteranodon. The teeth are stupid and pointless, but other than that, I thought they looked awesome. Very imposing and intimidating. Too bad the design didn't carry over to the other movies.
- JP III Parasaurolophus. I think green fits Parasaurolophus better than the brown from TLW and JW.
- Indoraptor. A vast improvement over the dull-looking Indominus rex. Love the yellow/gold/orange stripe.

Worst:

- Indominus rex. I kind of like that the design team didn't go too overboard and made it kind of grounded, but still, it's really bland-looking and uninspired. It looks like what a four year old would draw with a crayon if someone asked it to make up "the coolest dinosaur you can think of!"
- The Dimorphodon. Ugh. Looks like an ugly gargoyle. At least they didn't come back for FK.
- Jurassic World's Ankylosaurus. The JP III ones looked really cool. JW's version has the exact same design, but gave it a duller color. Kind of baffling, considering it had so far a bit more of a spotlight compared to the other herbivores (battling the Indominus, shown being unloaded on the Arcadia, and being one of the few dinosaurs sold during the auction)
- Allosaurus. Looks unbelievably generic, to a point that a lot of people couldn't even figure what it was supposed to be when it appeared in the first trailer. No idea why it's even in the movie. Props to Frontier for taking the same design and tweaking it to look cool in JWE.
- Baryonyx. Pardon my french, but it looks like shit. Baryonyx is a very distinct and cool-looking theropod by itself, there was no need to change its core design that much and turn it into Crocoduck. The CG for it in the bunker scene also didn't do it any favors, it looked like a weird, disgusting CGI blob.

"Try to imagine yourself in the Late Quaternary. You get your first look at this six-foot Psittacosaurus as you enter a city. You stay still, because you think that maybe its visual acuity is based on movement. Maybe it's not all that bright. But no... not Homo sapiens. You stare at it, and it stares right back at you. And that's when it starts shooting you with this... THE GUN!" - Dr. Mongoliensis
Back to top Go down
Dilophosaurus
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
Dilophosaurus

PostSubject: Re: What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise?   What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2018 4:47 am

Everyone keeps saying that TLW pteranodon design is the best, but while it looks really cool, it is kind of generic and is only shown for like 5 seconds. I agree that the JW pteranodons are the worst (ugly and generic).

But I just love the JP3 pteranodons. They have their own iconic JP look like the raptors and T-Rex. The design/colour is very cool and they actually look pretty menacing and are very well-animated. Not to mention the babies which also look really cool. If they just removed the teeth they would be perfect.
Back to top Go down
SmugTheFab
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
SmugTheFab

Location : In my den, rubbing my hands together and laughing maniacally.

PostSubject: Re: What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise?   What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2018 1:47 pm

Favourites (In no particular order):

1: TLW raptors. They're beautiful, like huge tiger-birds.
2: TLW pteranodon. It's one of the prettiest "dinosaurs" in the franchise IMO.
3: The green parasaurs in JP1 are also very nice. It's a shame we didn't get to see them more, and JP The Game missed out on the chance to use them, instead going with the brown design for who knows why.
4: Baryonyx. Sure, it's inaccurate, but did you want it to look exactly like the spinosaurus? Me neither. I'm glad they made it like a crocodile. Fits into the sewer more.
5: Carnotaurus. Nuff said.
6: Dilophosaurus. Nuff said.

Least favourites:

1: Gosh those pterosaurs are ugly.
2: The majority of the herbivores in JW are bland and unimaginative.
3: The coloration of the raptors in JW are also pretty boring.

I would mention the apatosaurus, who is such a bland gray, but its face looks like a cow's face and thats adorable.

Back to top Go down
#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

PostSubject: Re: What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise?   What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2022 8:58 pm

Buck the male Rex from TLW.

And I also actually like the design of Freddy, the male Rex from JP3. The light green made it stand out.

https://www.facebook.com/Petition-to-have-a-T-Rex-Spinosaurus-rematch-in-Jurassic-World-2-194141920665797/
Back to top Go down
#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

PostSubject: Re: What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise?   What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2022 8:58 pm

Buck the male Rex from TLW.

And I also actually like the design of Freddy, the male Rex from JP3. The light green made it stand out.

https://www.facebook.com/Petition-to-have-a-T-Rex-Spinosaurus-rematch-in-Jurassic-World-2-194141920665797/
Back to top Go down
The Malone Society
Pachycephalosaurus
Pachycephalosaurus
The Malone Society

PostSubject: Re: What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise?   What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2022 1:09 pm

Wait, Freddy? The male Rex from JP3 has a name now?
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise?   What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2022 3:40 pm

Favourite:
- JP Triceratops
- JP Brachiosaurus
- TLW Stegosaurus
- TLW T. rex
- TLW Raptors
- TLW Pteranodon
- JW Blue (maybe controversial, but she's pretty distinctive as an individual movie dinosaur)
- JW Mosasaurus
- FK Carnotaurus
- TBaBR Allosaurus

Least favourite:
- JP3 Brachio
- JP3 Ceratosaurus
- JW Dimorphodon
- JW Stegosaurus
- FK Allosaurus

What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise? Dinosa12
Back to top Go down
TRK/TrexKing
Administrator
Administrator
TRK/TrexKing

PostSubject: Re: What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise?   What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2022 7:54 pm

I'm a big fan of Carnotaurus and Allosaurus.

Least favourite would probably JW Pteranodons maybe even JW Stegos

PostSubject: Re: What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise?   What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What's you favorite and least favorite creature design in the franchise?
Page 1 of 1