Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

The Star Wars thread

Go down 
+45
The Malone Society
Quetzalcoatlus
Oviraptor
BoulderFaceplant
TyrannoFan
Raptor_Guard999
Robotpo
jericho
K_Ozz92
Six-Foot Turkey
Herrerasaurus
TRK/TrexKing
Troyal1
Bbrink1996
dance2nite
BarrytheOnyx
Rhedosaurus
CT-1138
TheDreamMaster
Levine
1morey
Oshronosaurus
TheRexMan22
T-rex-king
SmugTheFab
V.a.nublarensis
Nedryland
smaugtheterrible
Océane
HennexForest
Baryonyx111
Dr. Wu
GwrChurchward
DoYouKnowTheMuffinMan?
Velociraptor Rex
Sickle_Claw
owenpratt
Raptor Blue
CloneTrooper101
evolution_rex
Mysterious Hero M
MissDNA
Scott B
Darth Spidey
Dead2009
49 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 31  Next
AuthorMessage
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

The Star Wars thread Empty
PostSubject: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2016 4:41 pm

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.....

Yes, it's the Star Wars thread! So talk about Star Wars, and given it's current state, there looks to be a lot to talk about for a long time to come.

Back to top Go down
CT-1138
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2016 6:48 pm

Eeee! STAR WARS!!!!!

http://abekowalski.deviantart.com/
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2016 6:53 pm

Thank you D4E/1138.... short but pointless. Razz 

I'll give you pass with your avy.

"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
CT-1138
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2016 6:57 pm

What? I like Star Wars almost as much as I like Jurassic Park? Razz

TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2016 7:08 pm

CT-1138 wrote:
Oh I know lol. Actually my first part of the last post was a quote from Ghostbusters II.

You know I actually acquired an SW figure I never had as a kid the other day. Are you ready for this? That figure was....

You really want to know?:

Back to top Go down
CT-1138
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2016 7:20 pm

I didn't even know they made an Aunt Beru figure. Is she a Vintage Kenner figure or...?

TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2016 7:43 pm

CT-1138 wrote:
I didn't even know they made an Aunt Beru figure. Is she a Vintage Kenner figure or...?

The one I got, no .She came out in that transitional period around early '99, right before Episode I came out. Her wave wasn't the easiest to find because it got bulldozed by the glut of TPM product.

http://www.rebelscum.com/POTF2auntberu.asp

Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2016 2:22 pm

Back to top Go down
Darth Spidey
Hatchling
Hatchling
Darth Spidey

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread Icon_minitimeSun Jun 12, 2016 2:39 pm

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClTD7BVp0C0AopETI1coujw
Scott B
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
Scott B

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread Icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2016 5:36 pm

TheDreamMaster wrote:
CT-1138 wrote:
Oh I know lol. Actually my first part of the last post was a quote from Ghostbusters II.

You know I actually acquired an SW figure I never had as a kid the other day. Are you ready for this? That figure was....

You really want to know?:

Call me if you get vinyl cloak Jawa. Jk but seriously call me. I'll pay 3k for it. :p

Battlefront Bespin DLC

I love Billy Dee, I really do but DICE can pay him and Simon Pegg to do Dengar again but they can't get James Earl Jones or Ian McDiarmid? :p
Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2016 11:00 pm

Well this sounded like a horrible idea....

Star Wars: Underworld Television series would've featured a sympathetic Emperor.

Back to top Go down
MissDNA
TFW RPG Moderator
TFW RPG Moderator
MissDNA

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2016 11:15 am

TheDreamMaster wrote:

Star Wars: Underworld Television series would've featured a sympathetic Emperor.

Damn, that would've been amazing... Would love to see a show or a game where the Empire are the good guys. Speaking of which, anyone know any good books from an Imperial point-of-view? Like, from an Imperial operative or Stormtrooper.
Back to top Go down
CT-1138
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2016 2:29 pm

OMGoodness! Forest Whitaker's Character Revealed!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2016 4:22 pm

MissDNA wrote:
TheDreamMaster wrote:

Damn, that would've been amazing... Would love to see a show or a game where the Empire are the good guys. Speaking of which, anyone know any good books from an Imperial point-of-view? Like, from an Imperial operative or Stormtrooper.

I wouldnt say it makes the Empire the good guys...if this is during the rise of the Empire then this is probably what caused Palpatine to be as heartless as he turned out to be.

Back to top Go down
Mysterious Hero M
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2016 4:26 pm

The Imperials are space nazis nothing more, nothing less. While there's decent people in it the organization as a whole is pretty corrupt. If you want good sympathetic SW villains old EU Maul ((Though Disney canon seems to be keeping the general jist of what he went through)), old EU Bane, and old EU Revan fit more.

Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2016 5:23 pm

CT-1138 wrote:

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I never thought I'd see them cross an animation character into a film like that, but heck yeah, this is amazing!

Back to top Go down
CT-1138
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2016 1:43 pm

Chicago loses the Lucas Museum, citing Friends of the Park's Obstructionism.

Ya know, I used to respect Friends of the Parks. I'll never donate another dime to them now. And all because they don't want anything built on "their" lake front. Despite the fact that it's a PUBLIC lakefront and there's a hoard of museums already near the spot they wanted to put it. Ironically, it was two years ago today that it was announced Chicago won the bid for the Lucas Museum.

evolution_rex
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
evolution_rex

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2016 11:02 pm

CT-1138 wrote:
I think that's great, wasn't expecting something like that to happen.

http://letterboxd.com/evolution_rex/
Scott B
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
Scott B

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2016 3:37 pm

I don't get it. The Lucas museum wasn't commercial, was being paid for privately and educational....there are a lot worse things than that to put there...like a private airfield, humongous convention center or railyard....wait....

The Friends should have just shut up. The parks were being more than cared for by the city...you know with Millennium Park being an effort to increase the parks on the lakefront and the end of Meigs Field.....that is the railyard and airfield I mentioned earlier if you didn't know.

@MISSDNA Imperial Commando is fairly shoddy and almost annoyingly anti-Force user, but if you don't care about Jedi and want to read about "good" Stormies then that is the book for you. Bear in mind it has a TON of callbacks to the republic commando series.

Death Troopers is indirectly sympathetic but doesn't focus on troopers or most Imps.

I believe there is a book about the back story of Finn, Rey and Poe that has been out. Finn obvious a trooper to some degree. I'll have to see if there are anymore. Oh wait! Death Star really plays on the normality and humanity of Stormtroopers and the main character is one.
Back to top Go down
MissDNA
TFW RPG Moderator
TFW RPG Moderator
MissDNA

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2016 3:41 pm

Cheers mate. I've heard about Imperial Commando but not the other two, should pick one of them up.

Brimi - female Stegosaurus ungulatus
Back to top Go down
Scott B
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
Scott B

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2016 3:55 pm

I have not read the TFA back story novel but have read the other three.

Death Star is probably the best to choose. It is better written than Commando and more about Stormtroopers than Death Troopers. Death Troopers is the best written out of the group IMO.

Anyway, that's cool. Have with it.
Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2016 4:11 pm

Is it weird sometimes I don't mind the anti-Force user sentiments? I know the force is a major theme in Star Wars, but sometimes I just like the other things in the galaxies. I like learning about different species, and different professions. It seems like every spin-off has to have a Jedi or a lightsaber in it. From certain perspective, the Jedi Purge could've been the best part of the post prequel EU, but so much focused on "Jedi Who Escaped the Purge but Have to Die Before ANH".

That's oddly one thing I liked despite the lack of Luke in TFA, was the Jedi were this myth again, something so thoroughly wiped from history that even though people alive could still remember them, its not enough to make everyone believe.

Back to top Go down
MissDNA
TFW RPG Moderator
TFW RPG Moderator
MissDNA

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2016 4:20 pm

I agree.

I always like exploring the other parts of a universe once I get interested in it. Star Wars has so much in it, to only focus on the bloody jedis all the time gets tireing. The whole underworld sounds so fun to explore, bounty hunters and smugglers and what not. And the whole Empire, which is always painted as a souless villain. There's no way a galaxy spanning rule could be all bad, some people have to believe in it to succeed.
I guess all this is because I play SW:TOR where there are many other great stories above the jedis, like the Agent or the Bounty Hunter.

Brimi - female Stegosaurus ungulatus
Back to top Go down
Scott B
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
Scott B

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2016 4:49 pm

That is fine, one of my favorite games didn't have the Force in it til the very end. Star Wars bounty hunter.

Things can be about stuff other than Jedi and Sith. What I contend with is how it is presented. Karen Traviss couldn't do it to save her life.

Spoiler:

One series I would avoid btw is Lando Calrissian Adventures. It was a wtf is this shizz? Type thing....
Back to top Go down
CT-1138
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2016 5:11 pm

Scott B wrote:
I don't get it. The Lucas museum wasn't commercial, was being paid for privately and educational....there are a lot worse things than that to put there...like a private airfield, humongous convention center or railyard....wait....

The Friends should have just shut up. The parks were being more than cared for by the city...you know with Millennium Park being an effort to increase the parks on the lakefront and the end of Meigs Field.....that is the railyard and airfield I mentioned earlier if you didn't know.
Completely agree. FotP, in all reality, are a bunch of rich socialites who have become overly possessive of the lakefront. When I did environmental work with the Sierra Club, we "teamed up" (if you can call it that) with FotP a few times and they were incredibly antisocial, keeping to themselves with no real intentions of doing environmental work. Honestly? I'd be surprised if they even cared about the neighborhood parks around Chicago. 

Incidentally, I found this write up about the loss, prompting me to do a short write up of my own: 

When it was proposed to move the Columbian Museum of Chicago from Jackson Park to its present location on the lakefront in 1921, Daniel Burnham fought it all the way to the courts, and lost. It was denounced as a vanity project of Marshall Field, too, but today, the Field Museum is one of our most beloved attractions. If Chicago didn't want to start a precedence of building public attractions of the lake front, we should have fought Soldier Field in 1922, the Shedd in 1929 and the Adler in 1930. But each one, minus Soldier Field (which was struck after the God awful renovations), are now named on the National Registry of Historic Places, and minus the Field, are listed as National Historic Landmarks. Chicago has been a museum city since the Columbian Exposition, and true Lucas was unmoved in his resolve for a museum on a waterfront, but that was his stipulation. We knew that when Chicago put their name in for the bid. If Chicago didn't want another museum on their lakefront, they shouldn't have put their name in for the Lucas Museum. Perhaps, they even shouldn't have allowed any museums in the first place. 2016 isn't the year that would set a precedence that "allowed the powerful and wealthy to foist their vanity projects on the people's shoreline", no it was 1921. People complained about the design, but Back in the day, you could have said that same about Soldiers Field, The Field Museum, and the Shedd Aquarium. All neoclassical style built at the height of 1920's art deco. Many people probably wondered why we would let Greco-Roman monstrosities be built when art deco wonders like the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building were all the rage in NYC. There's no law that says we must build in the archetecture of our time. Could you imagine how boring our city scape would be if every building was built in either neoclassical or Gothic style? No Sears Tower, no Hancock Building, say goodbye to many of Chicago's iconic buildings. We should have welcomed this museum but instead we looked a gift horse in the mouth, and then kicked the horse.

Scott B
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
Scott B

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2016 6:01 pm

The comments on that Trib article make me want to literally palm through my face. Well most of the comments.

Much better and more spot on write up D4.
Back to top Go down
CloneTrooper101
Embryo
Embryo
CloneTrooper101

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2016 6:57 pm

CT-1138 wrote:
Chicago loses the Lucas Museum, citing Friends of the Park's Obstructionism.

Ya know, I used to respect Friends of the Parks. I'll never donate another dime to them now. And all because they don't want anything built on "their" lake front. Despite the fact that it's a PUBLIC lakefront and there's a hoard of museums already near the spot they wanted to put it. Ironically, it was two years ago today that it was announced Chicago won the bid for the Lucas Museum.

They should just build the stupid thing in Orlando! Or someplace in Ohio would be better. In my opinion anyway.

"The Force will be with you, always..." - Obi-wan Kenobi
Back to top Go down
Scott B
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus
Scott B

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2016 8:07 pm

If it was that easy. Chicago was chosen not because Lucas wife is from there or that it is the #1 tourist destination like 4 years running but because it had the infrastructure AND mostly because it bid on the museum when it was first announced. I think LA, San Fran and Chicago were the three candidates that bid and San Francisco was the first choice for obvious reasons. They declined however due to park issues as well and the decision was given to Chicago over LA. The choice went swimmingly until Friends of the Parks flibustered and then took Lucas to court. And here is where we stand. LA might not want it anymore either if I remember them bidding correctly. Orlando and/or Ohio would need to bid or go directly to Lucas for him to consider. He can't just mash his way into forcing a city to do it. So it is in limbo and may now never be built.

Just FYI, I think an additional reason he needed cities to bid is because he can't afford it all himself. Chicago donated the lakefront land to him where he would pay for the construction and the underground parking. If he had to purchase the land it would be billions, not the 750 million it cost.
Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2016 8:24 pm

Scott B wrote:
That is fine, one of my favorite games didn't have the Force in it til the very end. Star Wars bounty hunter.

Things can be about stuff other than Jedi and Sith. What I contend with is how it is presented. Karen Traviss couldn't do it to save her life.

Spoiler:

One series I would avoid btw is Lando Calrissian Adventures. It was a wtf is this shizz? Type thing....

I agree on Travis, I'm a huge Boba fan but her books read like bad fan fiction. One plus of wiping the old EU away. I wasn't a fan of the TCW depiction either, well Death Watch was fine, but the pacifist ones. Sabine's death and throwing the planet into war was a great move at the end.

While as an SW fan I love generally the Jedi and the Sith, I kind of like playing up the evil Jedi angle once in a while. It makes me sound like a crazy space activist, and I know I'm wrong and do it just for fun, but you can rile some people up by going on and on about how the Jedi were the evil ones, or why the Sith truly have the right idea of the dark side. Or why I believe there isn't a side, a good person could potentially world the dark side for noble gains, while an evil person could use things like the mind trick for much more nefarious purposes. Dividing it into light and dark just limits potential.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2016 6:35 pm

Here's Midnight's Edge take of the Rouge One reshoots.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Star Wars thread   The Star Wars thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Star Wars thread
Page 1 of 31Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 31  Next