Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?

Go down 
+8
TheRexMan22
Six-Foot Turkey
#TRexSpinorematch
CT-1138
Troyal1
Dead2009
Sickle_Claw
Rhedosaurus
12 posters
AuthorMessage
#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?  Empty
PostSubject: Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?    Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 15, 2017 8:40 pm

Like most people know, when the sequel to the first Jurassic Park premiered in 1997, most audiences seemed to like it or at the very least accept it as the sequel to JP.

However, ever since the era of YouTube and social media (since around 2005ish) for reasons that are not so clear it´s reputation has taken a huge hit and a dramatic change and now most of the internet acts (and accepts as a fact) that nobody has ever liked The Lost World.

And it is not just that youtubers and internet film critics are always saying that nobody cares for TLW...It´s that they really believe that it was this horrible disaster of a film that did nothing right and they have managed to lower it´s reputation so low that it is on the levels of the Star Wars preqels in terms of it being one of those films that if you dare to show some praise towards it, the internet will make fun of you for having such poor taste in films.

All I ever hear about it is how the characters are stupid, how bad it is compared to the first one, how horrible the gymnastics scene is, how the San Diego thing does not fit with the rest of the movie... And you know what´s crazy? That many hate on it for being so different to JP while many others hate on it for trying to re create things from JP...  And it´s all shocking to me because I always thought TLW was as loved as JP. And I still consider it the best JP sequel no matter what.

And it´s sad because I wanted Jurassic World 2 to have more connections to The Lost World like bringing back characters from it like Sara Harding, Nick, Kelly (Something that I am also surprised that no one seems to suggest) ...But due to the myth that everyone hates TLW, it seems that we are in for yet another sequel that will only have connections to Jurassic Park and Jurassic World...

https://www.facebook.com/Petition-to-have-a-T-Rex-Spinosaurus-rematch-in-Jurassic-World-2-194141920665797/

Last edited by #TRexSpinorematch on Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:38 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?    Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 15, 2017 9:00 pm

I've actually noticed a true turnaround in terms of reputation. More and more people are slowly starting to like, or at least respect it far more then they have in the past.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran
Sickle_Claw

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?    Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 15, 2017 9:09 pm

I blame the Nostalgia Critic for how TLW is perceived by the general public.

Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?    Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 15, 2017 9:52 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
I've actually noticed a true turnaround in terms of reputation. More and more people are slowly starting to like, or at least respect it far more then they have in the past.

Well we are in it´s 20th anniversary and all I saw were like 2 videos on YouTube celebrating it on a positive light.

From what I have seen, TLW has always been very loved among some very hardcore fans but the rest of the internet seems to continue to throw dirt on it at every chance they get.

https://www.facebook.com/Petition-to-have-a-T-Rex-Spinosaurus-rematch-in-Jurassic-World-2-194141920665797/
Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?    Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 15, 2017 10:07 pm

Sickle_Claw wrote:

People need to stop taking the word of an actor who overreacts to certain scenes in movies.

Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?    Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 15, 2017 10:40 pm

Dead2009 wrote:
Sickle_Claw wrote:

People need to stop taking the word of an actor who overreacts to certain scenes in movies.

This! I've always hated nostalgia critic simply because i dislike his voice and generally don't agree with him on opinions. But that man could make a masterpiece or any movie sound like garbage. It's what he does.
Back to top Go down
#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?    Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?  Icon_minitimeFri Jun 16, 2017 1:54 am

That´s the thing... There are a lot of people who change their opinions based on famous internet film critics. They think that because the famous critic says it, then it must be right and I must be wrong because he knows more than me about film.

But the reality is that the film critic´s opinion is as subjective as any random fan´s opinion. It is just their personal feelings towards a piece of art not the absolute correct way to interpret film.

Back to top Go down
CT-1138
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?    Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?  Icon_minitimeFri Jun 16, 2017 11:58 am

Rhedosaurus wrote:
I have too. It's becoming something of a cult classic.

Sickle_Claw wrote:
I do too.

http://abekowalski.deviantart.com/
#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?    Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 17, 2017 1:12 am

Nostalgia Critic did hurt it´s reputation but so did almost every other YouTube film critic. They all go on and on about it´s many problems and how dissapointing it is compared to the first one and I am sitting here like...

We got to see the very popular character Ian Malcolm again
We got to see John Hammond again
We got to see a cameo of Lex and Tim
We got to see a family of the iconic T Rex species again
We got to see more of the also iconic Velociraptors again
We got to see many more dinosaur species not seen in the first
We got to see arguably the most realistic mix of animatronic and CGI special efects in the series
We got to see dinosaurs on the mainland for the first time in the series
We got to see more of ingen
We got to hear another soundtrack from the great John Williams

Remind me again what exactly are the problems that this movie had? What exactly were people expecting that made it so dissapointing? A remake of the first?

Back to top Go down
Six-Foot Turkey
Triceratops
Triceratops
Six-Foot Turkey

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?    Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 17, 2017 12:20 pm

People let critics make their minds up nowadays. I like Nostalgia Critic, but a lot of his fans seem to let him decide for them on whether they like a film or not.

For example, I like Alien Vs Predator, have done since I first saw it, and recently I saw that Nostalgia Critic claims he likes it too in one of his latest videos. Now a lot of people in his comment section are claiming the movie is better than Prometheus and Alien: Covenant and Alien 3 even though people have been slating AVP for years prior.
Back to top Go down
TheRexMan22
Veteran
Veteran
TheRexMan22

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?    Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 17, 2017 9:50 pm

Sickle_Claw wrote:
That is quite possible. On the bright side, Chris Stuckmann gave it a positive review.

Our very own Lord Kristine uploaded a video to her channel about this subject which I found to be quite interesting.

Back to top Go down
Spinosaur4.4
Veteran
Veteran
Spinosaur4.4

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?    Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 17, 2017 10:49 pm

Who is Nostalgia Critic?

Former JPL member, Spinosaur4.4.

Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?  LYHX0zA
Back to top Go down
#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?    Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?  Icon_minitimeSun Jun 18, 2017 12:18 am

TheRexMan22 wrote:
Sickle_Claw wrote:
That is quite possible. On the bright side, Chris Stuckmann gave it a positive review.

Our very own Lord Kristine uploaded a video to her channel about this subject which I found to be quite interesting.

I think Chris Stuckmann is the only high profile YouTube film critic that has given TLW a very postive review.

The rest of them are like... Even if you like it, you have to admit it is really terrible...

Back to top Go down
TheRexMan22
Veteran
Veteran
TheRexMan22

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?    Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?  Icon_minitimeSun Jun 18, 2017 12:42 pm

Spinosaur4.4 wrote:
Who is Nostalgia Critic?
A YouTube film critic.

Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?    Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?  Icon_minitimeSun Jun 18, 2017 9:04 pm

TheRexMan22 wrote:
Spinosaur4.4 wrote:
Who is Nostalgia Critic?
A YouTube film critic.

Talking about nostalgia when Rex man shows up! Lol

How you been man?
Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?    Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?  Icon_minitimeSun Jun 18, 2017 9:17 pm

Troyal1 wrote:
TheRexMan22 wrote:
Spinosaur4.4 wrote:
Who is Nostalgia Critic?
A YouTube film critic.

Talking about nostalgia when Rex man shows up! Lol

How you been man?

Haha! Right?

It's been a while, bud. Welcome back!

Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?  Jpbann10
Back to top Go down
Océane
Océane

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?    Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?  Icon_minitimeSun Jun 18, 2017 11:48 pm

Favorite movie of all time being considered bad? Yeah that's always been hard for me to believe. I personally put it on an equally high praise as the original, but there's this toxic attitude about "Oh it's a sequel, ew it sucks" that prevents so many from agreeing with me.

#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?    Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 19, 2017 3:59 am

I however have not really seen a turnaround in its reputation recently. We are in it´s 20th anniversary and social media, YouTube, and other websites did not even notice. All I saw were like 1 or 2 videos of hardcore fans celebrating the 20 years of TLW and an article if I am not mistaken...

The rest of the internet did not even remember. So I would say TLW´s reputation remains more or less the same. The internet acting like nobody has ever cared for this movie while it is actually loved by very hardcore fans.

Back to top Go down
TyrannoFan
Hatchling
Hatchling
TyrannoFan

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?    Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 19, 2017 6:24 am

I do not have many problems with it critically, I just simply don't enjoy watching it as a whole. I loved it as a kid though. I definitely like individual scenes (trailer on the cliff for example), but as a whole I find it boring and uninteresting. I find JP3 somewhat boring and uninteresting too, but at least that's 1hr34min of boring and uninteresting rather than 2h14min of boring and uninteresting... JP3 doesn't feel like as much of a drag as TLW. But that's just me.

Triceratops
Triceratops
Six-Foot Turkey

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?    Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 19, 2017 10:41 am

It's a messy film. Scenes clearly were cut which caused some scenes to not make much sense and character development scenes work less effectively. I don't think it's anywhere as good as JP as a film, but I enjoy it a hell of a lot.
Back to top Go down
#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?    Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 19, 2017 10:04 pm

TyrannoFan wrote:
I do not have many problems with it critically, I just simply don't enjoy watching it as a whole. I loved it as a kid though. I definitely like individual scenes (trailer on the cliff for example), but as a whole I find it boring and uninteresting. I find JP3 somewhat boring and uninteresting too, but at least that's 1hr34min of boring and uninteresting rather than 2h14min of boring and uninteresting... JP3 doesn't feel like as much of a drag as TLW. But that's just me.

Yeah I have seen a few people who prefer JP3 for it´s faster pace but I don´t know how that turned into the everybody thinks TLW did nothing right myth...

Back to top Go down
TheRexMan22
Veteran
Veteran
TheRexMan22

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?    Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 20, 2017 12:01 am

This is more recognition than I've received, uh...anywhere. Ever. cheers
<frantically tries to find the multi-quote button so I can respond to both TyrantLizard and Troyal>
<fails>
Oh well...
I'm doing great guys, thanks for asking. Hope you guys are doing all right too. It's been a long time hasn't it? Razz

So as not to deviate from the topic, I'll add my two cents to this debate. I agree with both TyrannoFan and Six-Foot Turkey. My biggest issue with TLW is that I just have a bit of trouble watching through to the end of the movie...at least, until the San Diego scene. Then I'm hooked. And there are a couple of really good scenarios in the middle, but it's kind of like the Star Wars prequels in that regard: boring throughout with one or two memorable moments that make it sorta-worth the ride.
I've read the script, (or one of them, anyway,) and I can't help but feel that if they had stayed more true to that particular script I read, the movie would have been better. In this particular script there is no San Diego sequence, which I enjoy watching but can't help but feel that they sliced the ending off of the movie and just inserted the San Diego scene in it's place. Feels kind of cut-and-paste. Anyway, in the script I read, the cast was on the island for much longer...and Tembo shot a Raptor with his shotgun like a total studmuffin! That would have been epic to see. Plus there were bunch of other changes in there that I felt would have been good for the movie overall.

[color=#33ccff]
Back to top Go down
#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?    Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 21, 2017 1:58 am

What´s happening now with TLW is something very similar to what happened with Disney and the Star Wars prequels.

You can actually see videos of most fans walking out of the theaters happy after watching Episodes 1,2 and 3 of the prequel trilogy (1999 to 2005). However ever since the YouTube and social media era (2006 to present) those who hated the prequels with a passion have been so vocal about it online that the internet now believes the myth that everybody hates the prequels with enormous passion. When the reality is, many more fans than people think love them. In fact, an entire generation grew up with them as THE films of their childhood.

But the myth that everyone only likes the original trilogy is so strong that Disney has decided to make Episode 7 (and from the looks of it Episode 8 ) according to this myth in order to play it very safe. No references whatsoever to the prequels, only to the original trilogy.

The exact same thing is happening with Universal. Everything they do clearly points out that they really believe the myth that fans only like the original Jurassic Park. So they made Jurassic World (And are making Jurassic World 2) according to that myth. Avoiding anything The Lost World related while continuing to milk on the nostalgia of JP.

It is however strange that they believe those myths just like that without doing some reaserch on how truthful they are...

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?    Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anybody else tired of the everyone hates The Lost World myth ?
Page 1 of 1