Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?!

Go down 
+7
Mr. Robustus
Dilophosaurus
Gondrasia
Troyal1
V.a.nublarensis
Dr. Wu
Robotpo
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Dr. Wu
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Wu

Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?! Empty
PostSubject: Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?!   Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2018 8:15 pm

Or is there a explanation?
Back to top Go down
Robotpo
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
Robotpo

PostSubject: Re: Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?!   Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2018 8:19 pm

Meaning the lagoon itself...? I just checked - it looks land-locked in JW...so that's a huge ret-con.
Back to top Go down
Dr. Wu
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Wu

PostSubject: Re: Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?!   Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2018 8:36 pm

Could that part of the island been overflowed? Like from a hurricane?
Back to top Go down
Robotpo
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
Robotpo

PostSubject: Re: Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?!   Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2018 8:43 pm

During the shark feeding scene the opposite side of the lagoon seems to be surrounded by tall buildings and mountains...so I'm now sure how the ocean could have risen so much - unless there was an earthquake (maybe because of the volcanic activity) and part of the island sank?
Back to top Go down
Dr. Wu
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Wu

PostSubject: Re: Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?!   Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2018 9:01 pm

On Jurassic Outpost there is artwork of the lagoon that shows the hotels and mountains and the gate.
Back to top Go down
Robotpo
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
Robotpo

PostSubject: Re: Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?!   Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2018 9:11 pm

Is it from JW 1, or FK? If it's the former, then the gate was there in the previous film, and they just didn't show it I guess?
Back to top Go down
Dr. Wu
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Wu

PostSubject: Re: Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?!   Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2018 9:34 pm

The art is from FK.
Back to top Go down
V.a.nublarensis
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
V.a.nublarensis

PostSubject: Re: Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?!   Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2018 10:34 pm

So it seems like they just retconned in a passageway from the lagoon to the ocean. I can live with that.
Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?!   Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2018 12:58 am

Dr. Wu wrote:
On Jurassic Outpost there is artwork of the lagoon that shows the hotels and mountains and the gate.

Link?
Back to top Go down
Dr. Wu
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Wu

PostSubject: Re: Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?!   Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2018 3:57 pm

https://jurassicoutpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/IMG_20180422_0004.jpg

Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Gondrasia

PostSubject: Re: Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?!   Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2018 4:04 pm

It’s not just the Mosasaurus Feeding Show; the entire Jurassic World Lagoon Resort has moved from the middle of Isla Nublar, to the southeastern corner of the island.
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Dilophosaurus
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
Dilophosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?!   Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2018 4:26 pm

Also the overturned jeep didn't really feel like it was in the same area as JP. I had the same problem with JW, I never really bought that that was the old visitor centre.
Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?!   Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2018 7:07 pm

Dr. Wu wrote:
https://jurassicoutpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/IMG_20180422_0004.jpg

1. Is it possible for you to link a gallery for more concept art from that site? Or the article? Beautiful picture

2. What exactly is different. It’s going over my head lol. I feel dumb
Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?!   Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2018 7:12 pm

Gondrasia wrote:
It’s not just the Mosasaurus Feeding Show; the entire Jurassic World Lagoon Resort has moved from the middle of Isla Nublar, to the southeastern corner of the island.
Spoiler:

Can I ask where you got that? Super cool.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Robustus
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Mr. Robustus

PostSubject: Re: Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?!   Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2018 2:34 pm

Just another one for the list of huge retcons in the JP franchise. But I do wonder if the tie-in websites for Jurassic World 3 will try to explain that.

"Oh, we found these file reports from an old expedition to Nublar that took place after the Indominus rex incident and before Lockwood's expedition. Apparently they were able to move the entire Mosasaurus lagoon next to the ocean and were kind enough to install a huge automatic gate big enough for the Mosasaurus to go through. You can download these files in the pdf below. Neat, huh?"

"Try to imagine yourself in the Late Quaternary. You get your first look at this six-foot Psittacosaurus as you enter a city. You stay still, because you think that maybe its visual acuity is based on movement. Maybe it's not all that bright. But no... not Homo sapiens. You stare at it, and it stares right back at you. And that's when it starts shooting you with this... THE GUN!" - Dr. Mongoliensis
Back to top Go down
Gondrasia
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Gondrasia

PostSubject: Re: Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?!   Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2018 5:02 pm

Troyal1 wrote:
Gondrasia wrote:
Spoiler:

Can I ask where you got that? Super cool.
I found it from the Jurassic Park Subreddit.
Back to top Go down
V.a.nublarensis
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
V.a.nublarensis

PostSubject: Re: Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?!   Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2018 10:58 pm

That's a shame. I don't like unnecessary retcons like this. Neutral
Back to top Go down
Bionic
Hatchling
Hatchling
Bionic

PostSubject: Re: Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?!   Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2018 3:18 pm

The plotholes are really massive with this entry in the franchise.
Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?!   Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2018 3:49 pm

V.a.nublarensis wrote:

Well, it was necessary in the sense that they had to get the Mosasaurus out of the lagoon somehow.

I wouldn't criticize the retcon as much as I would criticize the fact that Colin didn't have the foresight to plan for the eventual Mosasaur escape back when he was creating the layout to Jurassic World. If he supposedly had this whole thing planned out from the beginning, surely he would have known that the Mosa was going to escape at some point.

Kinda leads me to believe that he's just sort of making it up as he goes along.

With all that being said, it's not a deal breaker for me.

Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?! Jpbann10
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?!   Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2018 4:00 pm

Tyrant Lizard wrote:
V.a.nublarensis wrote:

Well, it was necessary in the sense that they had to get the Mosasaurus out of the lagoon somehow.

I wouldn't criticize the retcon as much as I would criticize the fact that Colin didn't have the foresight to plan for the eventual Mosasaur escape back when he was creating the layout to Jurassic World. If he supposedly had this whole thing planned out from the beginning, surely  he would have known that the Mosa was going to escape at some point.

Kinda leads me to believe that he's just sort of making it up as he goes along.

But he made the first one and set it up for a sequel. He's supposed to have the foresight of some sort to plan all this out. Even more so considering how he helped write the script for this new movie.

I mean, seriously. Did they all not have a map about JW when making this movie? Did they all just forget where everything was located? Yeah, some buildings are damaged, but they are not destroyed. Most are still intact. These are normal dinosaurs, not Godzilla and the rest of his prehistoric monster buddies.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?!   Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2018 4:07 pm

Again, it's a pretty significant retcon, but it's not a deal breaker for me. If given the choice between significant story progression at the expense of continuity and no progression for the sake of continuity, I'll take progression any day.

The only thing I can think of is that he originally didn't plan for the Mosasaurus to be released, but changed his mind as he was writing the script for FK. Hopefully we get an in-universe explanation that makes some sort of sense, either from Trevorrow himself or in the marketing for JW3.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?!   Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2018 4:10 pm

Tyrant Lizard wrote:
Again, it's a pretty significant retcon, but it's not a deal breaker for me. If given the choice between significant story progression at the expense of continuity and no progression for the sake of continuity, I'll take progression any day.

A fair question: What would it take to say otherwise.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?!   Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2018 4:25 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
A fair question: What would it take to say otherwise.

A fair question. The first thing that comes to mind is a significant character retcon. The one retcon is JW that did bother me was the idea that Hammond gave Masrani his blessing before he died, as that seemed to completely contradict his character arc from the first two films.

It's hard to know exactly what my own personal breaking point would be, but I imagine it would be a significant retcon of something I am or have been invested in, such as Hammond's character arc. The location of the lagoon, despite being less explainable, isn't something I'm overly invested in.

It's the same reason some people aren't overly fond of the idea of retconning the Spinosaurus as a hybrid I would imagine.

I'm sure there are other things that would bother me as well, but I won't be aware of them until that bridge is crossed.

Gondrasia wrote:
Spoiler:

That's a sweet looking map, but it's not official, although it is based on the maps shown in FK. It seems as though most of the maps are relatively inconsistent with each other.

Last edited by Tyrant Lizard on Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mr. Robustus
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Mr. Robustus

PostSubject: Re: Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?!   Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2018 4:43 pm

Tyrant Lizard wrote:
A fair question. The first thing that comes to mind is a significant character retcon. The one retcon is JW that did bother me was the idea that Hammond gave Masrani his blessing before he died, as that seemed to completely contradict his character arc from the first two films.

I have a head-canon for that. After the events of Lost World, Hammond calls the Costa Rican Department of Biological Preserve (which I don't think is actually a thing, btw), and he asks for them to help him turn Sorna (and presumably Nublar) into Biological Preserves/World Heritage Sites/whatever, and this was their answer:

Costa Rican government representative: So... let me get this straight. You ruin two of our islands with massive biological contaminations, and not only did you not tell anyone that, and not only do you refuse to clean that up, but you want us to forsake these two islands with touristic potential to preserve these invasive species which you and your company introduced in the first place? And all of that after one of your animals caused lots of death and property damage on american soil? Are you insane?!
Hammond: uh... I--
Costa Rican government representative: how are you or InGen even still leasing them if you're no longer the CEO and your company is ruined? Wait, are you even paying for that lease?!
Hammond: er... thanks for your time! *hangs up the phone, and looks back to his butler* Tell me more about this Masrani person. Do you still have his number?

"Try to imagine yourself in the Late Quaternary. You get your first look at this six-foot Psittacosaurus as you enter a city. You stay still, because you think that maybe its visual acuity is based on movement. Maybe it's not all that bright. But no... not Homo sapiens. You stare at it, and it stares right back at you. And that's when it starts shooting you with this... THE GUN!" - Dr. Mongoliensis
Back to top Go down
Dilophosaurus
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
Dilophosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?!   Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2018 4:45 am

Retconning in the next movie is nothing for Jurassic movies... Remember in the original JP where they retconned the T-Rex paddock in the same scene? Razz
Back to top Go down
owenpratt
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?!   Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2018 7:33 am

I think Hammond, before he died, just realized the park would have been created sooner or later, no matter what. Everyone in the world would have loved to see them in a park, and investors would not miss this huge chance to make profit, after Hammond's death.
So he probably decided that, if the park were to be made, it should be taken by someone who really cares about dinosaurs. So he chose Masrani and told him not to spare expense for making the animals live in harmony with the human visitors.

About the Lagoon thing, I've read a earthquake theory somewhere on Twitter... but anyway, I would ask Colin Trevorrow himself on Twitter if he can find a way to fix the hole.
By the way, Colin Trevorrow knows the whole story of the new trilogy from the beginning, but I'm sure the opening FK scene was created later. If I'm not wrong, I've read somewhere that the extended opening sequence was Bayona's idea.

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/owenpratt93
Back to top Go down
owenpratt
Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?!   Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2018 9:07 am

DOUBLE POST:

https://twitter.com/colintrevorrow/status/1008658304841723906?s=19

Quote :
The lagoon is in the center of the island, connected to the ocean by a canal system. The digital maps in the film are incorrect, not a retcon. My fault for missing it, I had no idea the change was made until it was too late. Hope you guys can forgive it.

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/owenpratt93
Back to top Go down
Tyrant Lizard
Veteran
Veteran
Tyrant Lizard

PostSubject: Re: Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?!   Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2018 10:55 am

I think the double post can be forgiven in this case haha!

Awesome of Colin to get back to me like that. It's a shame the maps are incorrect, but one can assume Mills simply had bad intel or something. Totally headcanon, but it's all we have until an official explanation is given.

Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?!   Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2018 11:03 am

You guys can attack me if you want but this just sounds like Colin is slightly embarrassed and doesn’t want to admit it was a retcon.
Back to top Go down
V.a.nublarensis
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
V.a.nublarensis

PostSubject: Re: Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?!   Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2018 11:05 am

I'm glad that Colin has enough integrity to admit when there's something wrong about the films he's involved in. I hope the mistake will be fixed for home release.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?!   Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Has the Mosasaurus Feeding Show location been changed?!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next