Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

The Lost World, Jurassic Park 3 and Sorna's treatment by Jurassic World

Go down 
+12
dance2nite
Bionic
Dr. Wu
TyrannoFan
Megatronus Rex
Rhedosaurus
Troyal1
TyrannosaurTJ
eagc7
#TRexSpinorematch
Gondrasia
Tyrant Lizard
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
The Malone Society
Pachycephalosaurus
Pachycephalosaurus
The Malone Society

The Lost World, Jurassic Park 3 and Sorna's treatment by Jurassic World  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Lost World, Jurassic Park 3 and Sorna's treatment by Jurassic World    The Lost World, Jurassic Park 3 and Sorna's treatment by Jurassic World  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 30, 2020 1:27 am

As for my thoughts on how The Lost World, Jurassic Park III, and Sorna have been treated by Jurassic World and Fallen Kingdom... it's fine. I would have personally loved more references to those films and Site, but I still like what we got from the viral marketing.

From how I see it, the Jurassic World series is a soft reboot. Jurassic Park III came out fourteen years before it. So while not retconning the other sequels from continuity, Jurassic World was going to be seen by a new generation of fans. Many of which have not seen the other sequels. So I can understand the decision to not reference the sequels and Sorna as much as they could have, since they were appealing to a new audience as well as an old one.

I'm not too upset with the lack of references to the sequels and the Isla Sorna. While I would have liked them, they don't impact my enjoyment of the Jurassic World movies that much in the grand scheme of things.
Back to top Go down
#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

The Lost World, Jurassic Park 3 and Sorna's treatment by Jurassic World  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Lost World, Jurassic Park 3 and Sorna's treatment by Jurassic World    The Lost World, Jurassic Park 3 and Sorna's treatment by Jurassic World  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 01, 2020 4:59 pm

The Malone Society wrote:

From how I see it, the Jurassic World series is a soft reboot. Jurassic Park III came out fourteen years before it. So while not retconning the other sequels from continuity, Jurassic World was going to be seen by a new generation of fans. Many of which have not seen the other sequels. So I can understand the decision to not reference the sequels and Sorna as much as they could have, since they were appealing to a new audience as well as an old one.

It was understandable to not reference TLW, JP3 and Sorna in Jurassic World since it was the first major thing Jurassic in 14 years and during that time many youtubers and news articles kept saying both sequels were equally hated (Wich only one truly is) so it is logical that they wanted to play it very safe but once Jurassic World made a ton of money (even it was heavily criticized by many in both the casual public and hardocre fans) there were no reasons to play it that safe again with Fallen Kingdom.

If anything one of the main criticisms of Jurassic World was the fact that it glossed over TLW and JP3 like nothing. After JW many many people in both the general public and hardcore fans were like "Wait...what happened to the other island?" while others were like "Why just have Rexy smash the Spino skeleton instead of a direct fight with the real thing?" and so on... Doing so yet again with Fallen Kingdom not only highlighted one of the main criticisms of JW but it also highlighted the fact that ignoring TLW, JP3 and Sorna can be an unpopular move with both the hardcore fanbase and the general public. Hopefully Dominion will change that but I am not optimistic since they have every character back...Except those from TLW and JP3....

https://www.facebook.com/Petition-to-have-a-T-Rex-Spinosaurus-rematch-in-Jurassic-World-2-194141920665797/
Back to top Go down
Jurassic89
Embryo
Embryo
Jurassic89

PostSubject: Re: The Lost World, Jurassic Park 3 and Sorna's treatment by Jurassic World    The Lost World, Jurassic Park 3 and Sorna's treatment by Jurassic World  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2020 6:28 pm

After having Sorna in TLW and JPIII, I felt it was overdue to focus on Nublar. Coming back to Sorna now after a two film hiatus feels earned.
Back to top Go down
#TRexSpinorematch
Nublar Velociraptor
Nublar Velociraptor
#TRexSpinorematch

PostSubject: Re: The Lost World, Jurassic Park 3 and Sorna's treatment by Jurassic World    The Lost World, Jurassic Park 3 and Sorna's treatment by Jurassic World  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2022 2:55 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Gondrasia wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
Again. You are saying that bad storytelling should be removed by objectivly worse storytelling. That's NOT how you make a good story. Not only that, but you will always have quite a few people, not just fans, but movie buffs who what to see this franchise succeed, who remember the Sorna movies as well. So all you are doing is leaving the following questions wide open and unanswered:

Why weren't the dinosaurs sent to Sorna and some of the other islands?
What happened to the Sorna population?
Wasn't the U.S. Navy supposed to be protecting the islands?

By not answering any of those questions within the movie, you are accepting bad storytelling, which in turn, leads to even MORE of it down the road. Garbage in, garbage out. Not only that, but no other franchise is uses sites as legit canon sources nearly as much as this one. Even the movies in the Godzillaverse are not dependant on the sites as canon because of how connected the movies are. Again, why should we accept using all these sites as legitimate canon sources so heavily when no other franchise, even niche ones like Godzilla, does?

The key word being “objectively”, what you believe to be even worse is what I believe to be really no different than what previous Jurassic films have done. However, having re-watched all of the movies, I can safely say that all of those questions can be easily answered without having to read the websites.

Why weren't the dinosaurs sent to Sorna and some of the other islands?

Isla Sorna was out of the question for a couple of reasons. The first reason being that it’s still owned by Masrani Global, we see in Jurassic World that the corporation took control over everything that InGen owned and ran previously; the dinosaurs, the technology, the staff and, in this case, the islands. We see the vast land development that they’ve made on Isla Nublar, what’s not to say that they’ve also done or were planning on doing the same with the other island that they also own?

The second reason that Sorna was unviable is that it’s too well known to be a safe sanctuary for the dinosaurs. It’s too obvious to just transport them to the only other island in the world that was also populated with dinosaurs at one point, it’s where people would go looking next. And not only does a company that both exploited and abandoned the dinosaurs still privately own it, but as shown in JP/// it’s vulnerable to access by illegal tourist operators and mercenaries.

Regarding the other islands, I would say due to being next to Isla Sorna, they’re also out of the question because they would become the next place to look for dinosaurs after Sorna; thus they’re too obvious a location to have them kept safely isolated.

Whereas Sanctuary has the unique advantage of being in an unknown location, its real name has not been disclosed and thus it becomes the ideal location to protect the dinosaurs and keep them isolated from the rest of the world.

What happened to the Sorna population?

Isla Sorna’s ecosystem collapsed, how this might have happened could be seen in JP/// most notably with the Spinosaurus. It was shown to be an animal that was both very powerful, being able to take down a sub-adult Tyrannosaurus with relative ease, and tenacious to the extreme, following a small group of humans for many miles both on land and in the water.

One can only imagine the sheer devastation that such a relentless animal that’s essentially the precursor to the Indominus rex caused on Isla Sorna before and after the events of the film, taking down multiple carnivores and herbivores; completely disrupting the healthy equilibrium that had previously existed in TLW.

Wasn't the U.S. Navy supposed to be protecting the islands?

Like how they did such an excellent job in protecting the islands at the start of Jurassic Park ///? All the U.S. Navy did was just have a reconnaissance plane fly over the island every now and again, and broadcast a warning to aircraft that flew too close.

They only really got involved with multiple ships, aircraft and troops on the ground because Ellie asked her husband to send the navy to rescue Alan. But by that point, it was already too late to protect the island from the multiple illegal operations that had occurred before and with animals such as the Spinosaurus roaming about on Sorna, it would become a short matter of time before there would be nothing for the navy to protect.

Again, why weren't ANY of these things explained in the movie? Even some throwaway lines would have been better then nothing.

"We can't put them on Sorna because the poachers would wipe them out like they did before."

"I thought the U.S. Navy was protecting the islands." "Well, they did until North Korea got atomic weapons. All the ships went to the Pacific and we had to try and protect them. The problem was that the poachers were far more prepared, Masrani couldn't move fast enough in time, and they simply outgunned us. That's why some of the Sorna dinosaurs were relocated on Nublar."

Those simple lines were all that were needed to answer the Sorna questions I brought up. Yet the scriptwriters were one of two things: They were either too focused on taking dinosaurs on the mainland that they basically got tunnel vision or they were simply too lazy to care. None of that is good storytelling at all. You can't ignore why we can't do Y instead of Z in a story/series of stories when you ensured that Y is still canon. It would be one thing if Trevorrow said that the Sorna movies were no longer canon. Then the JW movies could get away with ignoring them. But considering how JW:FK mentioned Sorna BY NAME, they can't do that.

The simple answer is... Colin Trevorrow, writer Dereck Connolly and J.A. Bayona were never fans of the franchise. Only casual fans of the first one but did not care at all about the second or third film.

A few people got mad at me when I said that but it has to be said because that is the truth not my personal opinion.

All 3 have well documented interviews in wich they clearly state they did not care about TLW or JP3.

On top of that (and this is my personal opinion but it could very easily be actual fact) Universal's line of thought with this franchise seems to be "Hey as long as we have dinosaurs running and people see the name Jurassic, that's all we need".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Lost World, Jurassic Park 3 and Sorna's treatment by Jurassic World    The Lost World, Jurassic Park 3 and Sorna's treatment by Jurassic World  - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Lost World, Jurassic Park 3 and Sorna's treatment by Jurassic World
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4