Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

JPLegacy Memorial Thread

Go down 
+46
Cha0ticArch0saur
RolandEden
Mysterious Hero M
Nublar7
Hellothasaurus
smaugtheterrible
Spiegel
Levine
Monolophosaurus
evolution_rex
Lord Kristine
Clonehunter
jpsacu
Prowler
Carcharodontosaurus
JVM
Megaspino2
MissDNA
Theta Rex
CloneTrooper101
BarrytheOnyx
Baryonyx111
Rex Prime
Nedryland
Lost
Raptor_Guard999
Océane
urban ratite
Katana
TRK/TrexKing
Paleoman
Metal Gear Rex
Tarbtano
Troyal1
Pugpunasaurus
Crimsonraptor
Rhedosaurus
Dead2009
GwrChurchward
Sickle_Claw
TheRexMan22
CT-1138
Dr. Wu
Spinosaur4.4
TheDreamMaster
Pokesaurus
50 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
Lord Kristine
Veteran
Veteran
Lord Kristine

JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 11:27 am

It's gorgeous. I'm working on concept art right now.

Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 11:39 am

If Ty gave "his blessing" on this new site, then why in the hell didn't he just hand over the reigns to the rest of the staff on the old site? Something isn't adding up here, he was persistent in telling people to give up on the fandom, to move on from JPL and anything associated with it and all of a sudden he's okay with the site carrying on under new management?

Back to top Go down
Lord Kristine
Veteran
Veteran
Lord Kristine

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 11:46 am

I don't know his reasoning. You could ask him, I guess.

Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 11:49 am

He deleted all of his social media. If he actually gave his blessing then he stabbed everyone that supported him directly in the back.

Back to top Go down
Levine
Veteran
Veteran
Levine

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 11:53 am

I still talk to him (and other former JPL admins in the old chat). I just asked, now waiting for a reply. We will see, bc I am not sure.
Back to top Go down
Lord Kristine
Veteran
Veteran
Lord Kristine

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 11:55 am

If I had to guess, I'd say he's less stressed now. But I'm not really sure. I'm also not the leader of this new JPL, so anything coming from me is simply opinion or secondhand info.

Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 12:10 pm

I still think that it's too soon to basically revive a site, or at least start doing so a month after it shut down, but that's just me.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
Lord Kristine
Veteran
Veteran
Lord Kristine

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 12:17 pm

When reanimating a corpse, it's best not to wait too long, lest the specimen turn unsuitable.

This is why I'm not in charge of PR.

Veteran
Veteran
Nedryland

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 12:22 pm

Lord Kristine wrote:
When reanimating a corpse, it's best not to wait too long, lest the specimen turn unsuitable.

Shocked

JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 9 Picard-double-facepalm_original

Christ. Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 12:33 pm

Dead2009 wrote:
He deleted all of his social media. If he actually gave his blessing then he stabbed everyone that supported him directly in the back.

I agree. Not only was it a bad move, but he also proved that all of his critics and haters were right all along.

Lord Kristine wrote:

This is why I'm not in charge of PR.

But you're not reanimating a corpse. You're rebuilding what many people considered something special and what others considered notorious. Places like those that are gone/shut down take a time for people to get over. To do so now was just too soon. Again, I'm not against JPL being revived per se, just against the timing of it.
Back to top Go down
Levine
Veteran
Veteran
Levine

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 12:34 pm

Exact words:

"Neutral or so. Somewhat positive. I wish them well to a point. But I am altogether neutral about it. I do feel like they are clinging to a sunken ship."
Back to top Go down
Nedryland
Veteran
Veteran
Nedryland

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 12:39 pm

''Well to a point.''

I'd like to follow that quote with another quote from Ty in a discussion with me: '' I still love to see it fade away for good to be entirely honest...''

Not exactly a blessing, he just doesn't give a crap anymore.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 12:44 pm

Did he say why he didn't just give them entire old site to them in first place? As I said before, this whole thing is just going to prove the detractors against him were right all along.
Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 1:01 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Did he say why he didn't just give them entire old site to them in first place? As I said before, this whole thing is just going to prove the detractors against him were right all along.

Since I don't want this to flair up into another "Ty pity party" as Spiegel put it, selfish or not, I think Ty shut down everything because if new management were running the old ship, he feels he could be drawn back. (Or I guess same management, but with his involvement.) It's pretty to think that everything you at least helped build is still out there, and as much as you want to distance yourself, you will check on it. Regardless if it's a copy, or something just using the name, Ty will have no connection to this new JPL beyond the name itself, and couldn't care less what happens to it.

I was never happy about how and why the shutdown happened, but it wasn't my choice so I moved on with it. Through many other people, that is why this site exists, and why were are currently working out things to make this site better. We've had some down time, and it has hurt us, but we see the need for a well crafted community, and want to get things moving to keep the community together. Maybe I'm also clinging to a community because I don't want to see it all fall apart, especially since I've made friends here, but I don't feel splitting the community again with this new JPL is the way to go. Especially for the name JPL. No matter how much work gets done, no matter how beautiful it all looks, it will never be the same site. I'm sure there's potential since the domain alone will probably pull traffic, but that just brings to mind Ian's speech about standing on the shoulders of others.

"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
Theta Rex
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Theta Rex

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 1:05 pm

Lord Kristine wrote:

'cos re-animating corpses always goes well, right.

Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
evolution_rex

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 1:05 pm

There is some unnecessary hostility. I think it's clear and the people have spoken; don't use JPL's name. But other than that we really should be supporting this new site. I mean, that is the point of putting the community here right? As a temporary fix until someone stepped up and made a new website? You guys didn't want Outpost, and you guys don't want this, but what, you're willing to let the community die here? Doesn't make sense to me.

Fix the name, I think you'll get a lot of people behind your back, and then we can all actually build something together.

http://letterboxd.com/evolution_rex/
Nedryland
Veteran
Veteran
Nedryland

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 1:08 pm

Nublar7 wrote:
we are doing it with heart and soul and the absolute best intentions.

''Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions''

Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 1:10 pm

evolution_rex wrote:
There is some unnecessary hostility. I think it's clear and the people have spoken; don't use JPL's name. But other than that we really should be supporting this new site. I mean, that is the point of putting the community here right? As a temporary fix until someone stepped up and made a new website? You guys didn't want Outpost, and you guys don't want this, but what, you're willing to let the community die here? Doesn't make sense to me.

Fix the name, I think you'll get a lot of people behind your back, and then we can all actually build something together.

Except we do have things in the works here to make a new site. Like I said in my last post a minute ago, we had some down time and it hurt us, but things are moving now, and they got moving when Spiegel was talking about site problems earlier, not just because it seems we're going to end up with more competition. I know, it's a "I'll believe it when I see it thing", but it's going to happen. We've already made changes to the RPG, new moderation is in that will do their jobs this time. More stuff is coming. So it's not hostility we are trying to convey, it just feels like now that we do want to put in the work and keep this community together here, others are going to split it by dragging up the corpse of JPL.

Back to top Go down
Levine
Veteran
Veteran
Levine

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 1:15 pm

Quite frankly the only issue I have is the goddamn name. Call it anything else and I will be on board (literally and metaphorically). Hell call it Stegoceratopia.
Back to top Go down
evolution_rex
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
evolution_rex

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 1:16 pm

TheDreamMaster wrote:

Except we do have things in the works here to make a new site. Like I said in my last post a minute ago, we had some down time and it hurt us, but things are moving now, and they got moving when Spiegel was talking about site problems earlier, not just because it seems we're going to end up with more competition. I know, it's a "I'll believe it when I see it thing", but it's going to happen. We've already made changes to the RPG, new moderation is in that will do their jobs this time. More stuff is coming. So it's not hostility we are trying to convey, it just feels like now that we do want to put in the work and keep this community together here, others are going to split it by dragging up the corpse of JPL.
We can't rely on a free-hosting forum for our community. It's too limited. We need a website and we need stability and can bring more people in. No matter how much work you put in, it's nothing without a website to attach it to and something that people will find worth clicking on.[/quote]

Nedryland
Veteran
Veteran
Nedryland

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 1:18 pm

evolution_rex wrote:
TheDreamMaster wrote:
evolution_rex wrote:

We can't rely on a free-hosting forum for our community. It's too limited. We need a website and we need stability and can bring more people in. No matter how much work you put in, it's nothing without a website to attach it to and something that people will find worth clicking on.

We have a website in the pipeline as well as other content and projects being worked on and planned. Things tke time, people need to understand that. If people want to jump ship and go it alone instead of banding together and helping out here? Fine, whatever but it has only been over a month! Give us a damn chance!

Back to top Go down
evolution_rex
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
evolution_rex

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 1:21 pm

ignore.

Last edited by evolution_rex on Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
evolution_rex
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
evolution_rex

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 1:23 pm

It shouldn't have to be 'no, don't go to their unmade website that's of the same subject matter that we all love, go to our unmade website'. If you're both looking to make a website then why don't you just join forces? What does it matter if it's Jurassic Park Portal or neo-JPL (which I'm hoping won't be the name)? At the end of the day the only one making it competition is you guys.

Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 1:24 pm

smaugtheterrible wrote:
JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 9 <a href=JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 9 186g6r

I'm still not quite sure what to think about using JPL's name, though... it might attract people familiar with the name, but it's not really JPL. And for some people, a site that isn't JPL might be more attractive anyway, especially if they had gotten stuck in the middle of drama at some point. What's so bad about just making something new and different (with the possibility of eventually bringing back some things like the encyclopedia)? The idea of building something new during the downtime until JW2 sounds like an interesting way to keep busy... with the proper motivation.

TheDreamMaster wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

Through many other people, that is why this site exists, and why were are currently working out things to make this site better. We've had some down time, and it has hurt us, but we see the need for a well crafted community, and want to get things moving to keep the community together. Maybe I'm also clinging to a community because I don't want to see it all fall apart, especially since I've made friends here, but I don't feel splitting the community again with this new JPL is the way to go. Especially for the name JPL.

Ever since JPL shut down, it does kind feel like the old guard has become scattered. It's kind of like the 10 Lost Tribes of Israel, except that it's with the JP fanbase going in different directions. I know that Nublar7 said that this new JPL will try to connect everyone together, but as Evolution Rex said with the notoriety the old JPL had and how many members are still JP fans but are no longer part of the fanbase, that's easier said then done. If anything, it will be like trying to put Yugoslavia back together after it imploded into chaos via the breakup wars during the 1990's.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
Theta Rex
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Theta Rex

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 1:24 pm

Perhaps the "just band together" stuff should've come first then.

Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 1:25 pm

evolution_rex wrote:
If you're looking to make a website, and there is another group of people making a website, why don't you guys just band together? It shouldn't have to be 'no, ignore their site, go to

Because they're looking to remake everything, and more or less in JPL's image. I'm not saying this site hasn't started out as a clone of the JPL forum to keep the community going, but we want to branch out with a site and stuff. And most of us on staff want to honor the legacy of JPL, but not recreate the site itself moving forward. Again I don't mean to sound hostile, but some people would not accept this site from the beginning, at all, and I don't understand why they will feel more comfortable at a site named JPL, when it won't be the same site, and will basically be the same thing that we're trying to get going here.

Back to top Go down
evolution_rex
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
evolution_rex

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 1:28 pm

that post was unifinished, it for some reason posted that when I made the full post, directly bellow it. But it's basically the same picture.

And they've said it will be 'very different' and they already said they'd consider changing the name earlier. With those things, how is it in JPL's image? Also this IS a branching out, it's just not one of the mods doing it.

Last edited by evolution_rex on Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nedryland
Veteran
Veteran
Nedryland

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 1:28 pm

Theta Rex wrote:
Perhaps the "just band together" stuff should've come first then.

Exactly this!

Nobody come to us to suggest working together, no one proposed anything or anything helpful. A huge majority in fact decided to moan about it, keep stating this place isn't home or they will get bored here and whathaveyou. That's really productive. It is also the same members who moan that the staff do nothing here.

So, ''band together'' never happened because the members themselves decided to go on their own.

Back to top Go down
evolution_rex
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
evolution_rex

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 1:35 pm

It's not too late to ask if they need any help. Refusing any banding together because they didn't ask first is not in the spirit of bringing a community together.

Yeah, it probably would have been a good idea if they asked people here first, but they didn't. And maybe they don't want your help, I don't know because they haven't responded yet. But everyone is already trying divide people merely because some JP fans are trying to make a site.

Nedryland
Veteran
Veteran
Nedryland

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 1:36 pm

evolution_rex wrote:
It's not too late to ask if they need any help. Refusing any banding together because they didn't ask first is not in the spirit of bringing a community together.

Yeah, it probably would have been a good idea if they asked people here first, but they didn't. And maybe they don't want your help, I don't know because they haven't responded yet. But everyone is already trying divide people merely because some JP fans are trying to make a site.

So, it would be ok for us to help them but it isn't for them to actually try and make things work here?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: JPLegacy Memorial Thread   JPLegacy Memorial Thread - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

JPLegacy Memorial Thread
Page 9 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next