Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

The DC Comics Thread

Go down 
+19
Scott B
jericho
TRK/TrexKing
Troyal1
Rhedosaurus
Oshronosaurus
Sickle_Claw
Dead2009
TyrantGojira
BarrytheOnyx
CarcharThroTheLookinGlas
HennexForest
Megaspino2
CT-1138
evolution_rex
Mysterious Hero M
Baryonyx111
Lost
TheDreamMaster
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 22  Next
AuthorMessage
Oshronosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Oshronosaurus

The DC Comics Thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The DC Comics Thread   The DC Comics Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2016 1:01 pm

i think DC/Warner Bros is mainly just trying to do too much too fast with their cinematic universe, just very suddenly rushing into the crossover whereas Marvel took their sweet time doing so. of course, there hadn't really been anything like the MCU in its structure beforehand so they kind of have an unfair advantage. on the other hand, i think most DC characters have more "star power", so to speak, than alot of Marvel characters.

Join the Brethren!
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The DC Comics Thread   The DC Comics Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2016 5:24 pm

I think if the DCEU deliver on giving audiences a good film (not a divisive or a downright bad film) while also being different from each other and different in of themselves from other films, then they will sustain the superhero popularity. Suicide Squad could be the start of that.

Marvel and DC are meant to work in synergy with each other, and they need each other to keep going. I know I would get pretty tired of Marvel Studios very quickly if they were the only option on the menu. It's okay if DC is a little darker, but many feel that Man of Steel and Batman v Superman were both too dark, the tone that Wonder Woman and Justice League indicate is perhaps more palatable and accessible to a wider audience and rather less stooped in melodrama. My feelings on these two films aren't anywhere near as harsh as  how a number of people feel, but I do feel that DC needs to adjust in order to keep going.

Basically, if they're good keep em coming, if they're starting to get worse or repetitive, safe or commercially driven over storytelling, then put them to rest.

The DC Comics Thread - Page 2 Dinosa12
Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The DC Comics Thread   The DC Comics Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2016 1:31 am

I find it sort of annoying, that in the version of the DCU, Superman is the catalyst for all this need for the governments to up their game.... but given Suicide Squad, there's clearly already people with powers out there. Even Batman has clearly helped put away several of these people, but the super Jesus alien is what suddenly kicks off the major fear of super powers?

It'll also be weird that any Batman film before Justice League will be a world before Superman. Again, the freaks and powered criminals are still there, but no one seems too concerned over them.

"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
Mysterious Hero M
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: The DC Comics Thread   The DC Comics Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2016 1:54 am

Because there's a difference between a freak being able to lift a car and a guy who can't be killed by bullets or a nuke.

Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: The DC Comics Thread   The DC Comics Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2016 1:55 am

Also of the SS only El Diablo and Killer Croc have powers.

Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Oshronosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The DC Comics Thread   The DC Comics Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2016 2:04 am

depending on exactly what kinds of powers these other characters have, i could actually buy it that Superman really is a game-changer. i mean, even a pyrokinetic like El Diablo clearly isn't too terribly much of a threat since he was captured and imprisoned previously, else he wouldn't be in Suicide Squad at all (and i'd say Croc doesn't count as much as "superpowered" compared to other DC characters, and is probably even more manageable than El Diablo since he doesn't have many "above-and-beyond" powers like heat vision, for example), and Wonder Woman and Aquaman*--two of the more physically powerful DC characters short of Supes--have clearly stayed under the radar until just recently as in the original comics. if you actually did try to arrest Superman, just what are you expecting to do? if he really decided that he wanted to be overlord of Earth, there'd be fuck all anyone could do to stop him without kryptonite (same goes for most of the other Leaguers across the DC canons, too, for that matter, which is why Batman devised contingency plans for if any of them went rogue, including himself)

*yes, Aquaman. there's a ton of required powers he has to have in order to function as a normal human would at the bottom of the sea, meaning he has superstrength and superspeed even if it's not to the degree of some others. that and he can make you have a seizure just by thinking at you based on the logic of controlling sea life since all life on Earth ultimately comes from the sea.

Join the Brethren!
Back to top Go down
Mysterious Hero M
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: The DC Comics Thread   The DC Comics Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2016 4:10 am

On El Diablo he turned himself in after an accident involving his powers. But either way while he's decently strong he's not a giant threat. All of the rest of the Squad besides Croc are non-powered characters ((Deadshot's just really good at shooting, Slipknot's a merc, Captain Boomerang's a thief with a gimmick, Harley's just crazy)).

Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The DC Comics Thread   The DC Comics Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 1:03 pm

Mysterious Hero M wrote:
On El Diablo he turned himself in after an accident involving his powers. But either way while he's decently strong he's not a giant threat. All of the rest of the Squad besides Croc are non-powered characters ((Deadshot's just really good at shooting, Slipknot's a merc, Captain Boomerang's a thief with a gimmick, Harley's just crazy)).

Fair point. The more I thought about it, I realized Superman is also just straight up an alien, which completely changes our perspective on things in the universe. The whole super powers thing just makes it even scarier.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The DC Comics Thread   The DC Comics Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 5:30 pm

From what I've seen via online reviews, Suicide Squad is better then Batman vs. Superman, but not by much. It looks like at least some of those production rumors were true after all.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The DC Comics Thread   The DC Comics Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 7:13 pm

Suicide Squad is getting some pretty mixed early reviews. Not going to judge, as I was mixed on BvS, and was especially negative on Ghostbusters which I ended up liking. So I'll wait and make my own decision.

Speaking of DC films, I saw The Killing Joke today. It was only ok. The first 30 minutes are brand new material and are not good.
Spoiler:
It is not great to Batgirl. The last 45 minutes, the actual Killing Joke stuff, is great, although Conroy sounds a little tired as Batman, and Hamill plays a pretty subdued Joker given the source material.

Back to top Go down
Oshronosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Oshronosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The DC Comics Thread   The DC Comics Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 9:27 pm

i was looking up some information on some of the Iron Man armors just earlier today and saw that at least one page had been vandalized with stuff i don't care to repeat here. looks to me like some DC fans are lashing out in all the wrong ways over the not exactly glowing Suicide Squad reviews.

as i did with BvS, i plan to wait until i see Suicide Squad myself before i form any kind of opinion, but also like with BvS i'm hopeful and optimistic

Join the Brethren!
Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The DC Comics Thread   The DC Comics Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2016 10:39 am

Angry Joe says Suicide Squad is awesome.

Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: The DC Comics Thread   The DC Comics Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2016 2:36 pm

No spoilers I swear.

I honestly rate Suicde Squad a 5/10. And it hurts me to say that as everything released so far looked so amazing. I felt every element in the movie was mediocre, not terrible but mediocre. It just feels like a huge loss of potential on every level which is why it disappointed me so much.

And honestly I think that's why critics are bashing it. I think they were frustrated with missing potential. The action scenes aren't even really action SCENES at all really. They feel like montages. I felt like I was watching a trailer instead of a film. There is some truly baffling editing in here that will leave you confused. And not just about the action, the plot as well.

Not to mention there are probably atleast(at the very least) 10 scenes from the trailer that are nowhere to be found here. And tons of dialogue missing. I know that's common in today's world but some of the coolest stuff I wanted to see was completely gone.

I do recommend people seeing it though, as some people seem to love it.
Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The DC Comics Thread   The DC Comics Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2016 4:38 pm

Troyal1 wrote:
No spoilers I swear.

I honestly rate Suicde Squad a 5/10. And it hurts me to say that as everything released so far looked so amazing. I felt every element in the movie was mediocre, not terrible but mediocre. It just feels like a huge loss of potential on every level which is why it disappointed me so much.

And honestly I think that's why critics are bashing it. I think they were frustrated with missing potential. The action scenes aren't even really action SCENES at all really. They feel like montages.  I felt like I was watching a trailer instead of a film. There is some truly baffling editing in here that will leave you confused. And not just about the action, the plot as well.

Not to mention there are probably atleast(at the very least) 10 scenes from the trailer that are nowhere to be found here. And tons of dialogue missing. I know that's common in today's world but some of the coolest stuff I wanted to see was completely gone.

I'm hopefully going to see this tomorrow, so I can form my own opinion, but that isn't great to hear. I really wanted this to be the start of a saving grace for DC, but it's look less and less like it. Once again, goes back to my complaints that DC really should look into the Marvel method a little bit. I know, people have argued it doesn't always have to be like that, but its worked, and for example here, DC is shoving something like 8 or more characters into a film, and from what I hear providing backstory into most of them, on a barely over 2 hour runtime. I'm not saying we need to see Batman fight half these guys, or a Flash film for every villain, but much like using an established Batman in BvS, it's like "These guys have been doing this a while. Take our word for it." I mean at least with Batman you get some clues and you can fill in the blanks because its a well known character (except all that murder stuff, which has already pretty much made me write off this DCCU already.).

Back to top Go down
Mysterious Hero M
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: The DC Comics Thread   The DC Comics Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2016 5:56 pm

SS is a idk/10 for me. I need to think about it.

Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: The DC Comics Thread   The DC Comics Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2016 5:57 pm

TheDreamMaster wrote:
Troyal1 wrote:
No spoilers I swear.

And honestly I think that's why critics are bashing it. I think they were frustrated with missing potential. The action scenes aren't even really action SCENES at all really. They feel like montages.  I felt like I was watching a trailer instead of a film. There is some truly baffling editing in here that will leave you confused. And not just about the action, the plot as well.

I'm hopefully going to see this tomorrow, so I can form my own opinion, but that isn't great to hear. I really wanted this to be the start of a saving grace for DC, but it's look less and less like it. Once again, goes back to my complaints that DC really should look into the Marvel method a little bit. I know, people have argued it doesn't always have to be like that, but its worked, and for example here, DC is shoving something like 8 or more characters into a film, and from what I hear providing backstory into most of them, on a barely over 2 hour runtime. I'm not saying we need to see Batman fight half these guys, or a Flash film for every villain, but much like using an established Batman in BvS, it's like "These guys have been doing this a while. Take our word for it." I mean at least with Batman you get some clues and you can fill in the blanks because its a well known character (except all that murder stuff, which has already pretty much made me write off this DCCU already.).    
Despite the fact that Batman's murdered in literally every movie continuity+the comics as well.

Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The DC Comics Thread   The DC Comics Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2016 12:06 pm

Here's a new video from Midnight's Edge about Suicide Squad and how the DCCU has been going since 2013. It also talks about some of the reviews towards the end, and they are quite brutal.

Back to top Go down
Mysterious Hero M
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: The DC Comics Thread   The DC Comics Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2016 3:24 pm

Midnight's Edge is just not objective. Their videos are interesting but notice how they've never done one about the MCU.

Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The DC Comics Thread   The DC Comics Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2016 6:37 pm

Mysterious Hero M wrote:
Midnight's Edge is just not objective. Their videos are interesting but notice how they've never done one about the MCU.

That's mostly because how the MCU movies have been so constantly good with little controversy. Other then Paltrow and the troubled history of Ant Man, very little has gone on with MCU trouble wise. Hard to find faults when you're doing good.
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: The DC Comics Thread   The DC Comics Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2016 7:42 pm

I hardly think the MCU have been "consistently good" with their films. Iron Man 2 and Thor 2 are very average at best and Guardians of the Galaxy is by far the single most overrated Marvel movie ever - I honestly cannot grasp at why it's so popular! But, I know I am in the minority on that count.

Even with those snags, they're well ahead of DC in terms of box office and critical praise. That company is like a well-oiled machine, they don't seem to be slowing down or show any signs of malfunction, hence why there is no need for Midnight's Edge to cover them. At least not yet.

The DC Comics Thread - Page 2 Dinosa12
Back to top Go down
Mysterious Hero M
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: The DC Comics Thread   The DC Comics Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2016 8:12 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Mysterious Hero M wrote:

That's mostly because how the MCU movies have been so constantly good with little controversy. Other then Paltrow and the troubled history of Ant Man, very little has gone on with MCU trouble wise. Hard to find faults when you're doing good.
-Ike Perlmutter
-TV studio vs Movie studio
-Jon Favreau leaving Marvel because of IM2 tampering
-The Hulk rights debacle
-Joss Whedon leaving marvel because of AoU tampering
-Frequent reports of Marvel being overcontrolling

There's a f*ck ton of controversy around Marvel. Midnight's Edge is just highly biased.

Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: The DC Comics Thread   The DC Comics Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2016 8:13 pm

Also so far the DCEU has made 3 movies in a row with 100+ million at the box office. Which doesn't really mean anything but not even Marvel's done 3 in a row with 100+ million.

Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The DC Comics Thread   The DC Comics Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2016 8:38 pm

So I've been at the hospital the past few days because my Grandma is in bad health. Today, my mom told me to get out a bit and go see a movie, so I went with my fiancé to see Suicide Squad. So here's my review:

I enjoyed it, more so than BvS. Most of the problems critics seem to have had didn't really bother me. It's shorter than BvS, which I thought would hurt it with all the backstory, but since they only go really far into Deadshot and Harley, it works. All the major characters are great, and I was invested in what was happening to them.

The villains (well, the actual villains of the film, not our main characters) are pretty weak though. I'll keep spoilers out of this part of the review, but the main one does very little, and their "help" who is shown to do a lot during the movie, suddenly has a hard time trying to kill anyone. And then there's the Joker.... *sigh* I hated this Joker. Jared Leto can play a good Joker, but how he was written was not the Joker. He was
Spoiler:

7/10

I know I didn't give too much info regarding the plot here, and I might edit this to go more in depth later, but I've got to get back to the hospital and stuff for now.

Back to top Go down
Mysterious Hero M
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: The DC Comics Thread   The DC Comics Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2016 10:26 pm

Read Joker by Brian Azarello. That's the interpretation Ayer used for this Joker.

Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The DC Comics Thread   The DC Comics Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2016 12:26 am

Mysterious Hero M wrote:
Read Joker by Brian Azarello. That's the interpretation Ayer used for this Joker.

I haven't read that one so, makes sense it feels differently. Still not a fan though, but that more comes down to personal opinion.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The DC Comics Thread   The DC Comics Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2016 6:11 pm

Suicide Squad had a 41% Friday-Saturday drop.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
Mysterious Hero M
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: The DC Comics Thread   The DC Comics Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2016 7:00 pm

Actually....

https://twitter.com/andrewbdyce/status/762542791968722945

Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The DC Comics Thread   The DC Comics Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2016 7:12 pm

Mysterious Hero M wrote:
Actually....

https://twitter.com/andrewbdyce/status/762542791968722945

That's one of the people from Screen Rant. That's odd, because I've seen multiple sites that say it has a 40%-41% drop yet, I consider Screen Rant to be a very reliable site.

Last edited by Rhedosaurus on Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mysterious Hero M
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: The DC Comics Thread   The DC Comics Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2016 7:54 pm

It's because the Thursday gross is added to the Friday gross to make the OD look bigger then it actually is.

Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The DC Comics Thread   The DC Comics Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2016 5:31 pm

This open letter to WB CEO Kevin Tsujihara about the DCCU and, to a lesser degree, WB in general, is supposedly written by a former employee.

Screen Rant named the DCAU/Mark Hamill voiced Joker as the best Joker.

Dwayne Johnson, AKA The Rock is heavily involved creatively with the new Shazam! movie.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The DC Comics Thread   The DC Comics Thread - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The DC Comics Thread
Page 2 of 22Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 22  Next