Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

The Evolution of Claire

Go down 
+8
TheDreamMaster
Mr. Robustus
Dv-218
Spiegel
Bbrink1996
Spinosaur4.4
Dr. Wu
Dilophosaurus
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Dilophosaurus
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
Dilophosaurus

The Evolution of Claire Empty
PostSubject: The Evolution of Claire   The Evolution of Claire Icon_minitimeWed Jun 20, 2018 7:11 am

Is anyone going to be reading the new Jurassic World novel coming out, The Evolution of Claire which releases next Tuesday? Sounds like it could be an interesting read.

This is the synopsis:

"Freshman year in college is full of obstacles--there are messy roommates, cranky professors, and disgusting dining halls. But for Claire Dearing, add "How to properly avoid being eaten by a dinosaur" to that list.

The year is 2004, and Claire has been given the chance of a lifetime: the opportunity to intern at the Jurassic World theme park less than a year before it opens to the public. She is laser-focused, with her sights set on bettering the lives of all animals worldwide. But life at the park isn't all test-driving gyrospheres and falling head over heels for a fellow student named Justin . . . though she does that too. Rumors and suspicions flood the island, and Claire is determined to unravel the truth.

As Claire searches for answers, she and Justin find themselves thrust into a sinister plot that will leave Claire forever changed, forcing her to question everything she thought she knew and bringing her one step closer to the Claire viewers met in Jurassic World and who they'll return to in Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom."

Back to top Go down
Dr. Wu
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Wu

PostSubject: Re: The Evolution of Claire   The Evolution of Claire Icon_minitimeThu Jun 21, 2018 7:29 pm

I plan on reading it.

Veteran
Veteran
Spinosaur4.4

PostSubject: Re: The Evolution of Claire   The Evolution of Claire Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2018 9:28 am

I also plan on reading it. Just learned it has Wu in it so...

Former JPL member, Spinosaur4.4.

The Evolution of Claire LYHX0zA
Back to top Go down
Bbrink1996
Hatchling
Hatchling
Bbrink1996

PostSubject: Re: The Evolution of Claire   The Evolution of Claire Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2018 10:24 pm

I plan to read it if I can have my hands on it. Anyone know when it officially releases?
Back to top Go down
Dilophosaurus
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
Dilophosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Evolution of Claire   The Evolution of Claire Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2018 9:02 am

Bbrink1996 wrote:
I plan to read it if I can have my hands on it. Anyone know when it officially releases?

Tuesday.
Back to top Go down
Spinosaur4.4
Veteran
Veteran
Spinosaur4.4

PostSubject: Re: The Evolution of Claire   The Evolution of Claire Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2018 12:11 pm

So...The reviews of the book so far are pretty positive. Outpost praised it on a lot of aspects. I wanted to hear it already, now I'm going to buy it as soon as possible.

It says Dr. Wu is developed in all ways that he should be in the movies. Pretty interested to see his interactions with Claire tbh.

Edit: It doesn't have kindle format. Well, I'm fucked.

Back to top Go down
Spiegel
Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus
Spiegel

PostSubject: Re: The Evolution of Claire   The Evolution of Claire Icon_minitimeTue Jun 26, 2018 12:59 pm

I'm going to have to read some reviews. I want to read it but the teenage/you twenty female intern thing doesnt really sound that appealing to me, at least in theory. I generally wouldnt pick up a book like that so it makes me hesitant.

Dilophosaurus
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
Dilophosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Evolution of Claire   The Evolution of Claire Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2018 6:17 am

Spiegel wrote:
I'm going to have to read some reviews. I want to read it but the teenage/you twenty female intern thing doesnt really sound that appealing to me, at least in theory. I generally wouldnt pick up a book like that so it makes me hesitant.

Yeah that's how I feel too, I hope they don't overdo the young adult aspects but I think it'll be worth a read for backstory on Jurassic World and Claire. Also the reviews I've seen so far seem to be positive.

But I've just started reading A Feast for Crows (864 pages) and I'm a slow reader so it'll be a while before I'm able to read this lol.
Back to top Go down
Bbrink1996
Hatchling
Hatchling
Bbrink1996

PostSubject: Re: The Evolution of Claire   The Evolution of Claire Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2018 7:25 am

Anyone managed to get their hands on it yet? I've visited some local bookstores here in Sydney but none of them have them so far.
Back to top Go down
Dilophosaurus
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
Dilophosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Evolution of Claire   The Evolution of Claire Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2018 7:57 am

Bbrink1996 wrote:
Anyone managed to get their hands on it yet? I've visited some local bookstores here in Sydney but none of them have them so far.

Can't you order it from Amazon?
Back to top Go down
Dv-218
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
Dv-218

PostSubject: Re: The Evolution of Claire   The Evolution of Claire Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2018 8:04 am

I did not really care for this novel at first (especially because of the young adult genre), but the info that it supposedly shines more light on Henry Wu's character and his true goals and intentions, and also on Isla Sorna's status, intrigues me.
Does anyone know what dinosaurs appear in the novel?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Robustus
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Mr. Robustus

PostSubject: Re: The Evolution of Claire   The Evolution of Claire Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2018 10:55 pm

I'm not really that interested in reading it myself (from some reviews I've read so far, it reads exactly like an average YA novel), but I'm really curious to know if there's an actual plot, and what dinosaurs are in it (and if they do anything of note)

"Try to imagine yourself in the Late Quaternary. You get your first look at this six-foot Psittacosaurus as you enter a city. You stay still, because you think that maybe its visual acuity is based on movement. Maybe it's not all that bright. But no... not Homo sapiens. You stare at it, and it stares right back at you. And that's when it starts shooting you with this... THE GUN!" - Dr. Mongoliensis
Back to top Go down
Bbrink1996
Hatchling
Hatchling
Bbrink1996

PostSubject: Re: The Evolution of Claire   The Evolution of Claire Icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2018 5:59 am

Dilophosaurus wrote:
Bbrink1996 wrote:

Can't you order it from Amazon?

I like to go to bookstores and buy them there if I can but I just ordered it online. Should come in sometime next week.
Back to top Go down
Spinosaur4.4
Veteran
Veteran
Spinosaur4.4

PostSubject: Re: The Evolution of Claire   The Evolution of Claire Icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2018 4:20 pm

Got it from a friend. Read some bits of it and tbh, this scene was WORTH all the book IMO:

Spoiler:

Seriously, this book made Wu more human than BOTH Jurassic World movies together. Congrats, Trevorrow. What costs you from putting something like that in the movies, huh?

Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: The Evolution of Claire   The Evolution of Claire Icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2018 1:20 pm

So does anyone know if Universal will be considering these canon? I know in the past things like the kids novels were not, but with, as far as we know, them wanting canon from the video game, and BDH herself giving support for the book, of this one will be considered. Seems to give some actually interesting backstory amidst the teen drama angle of the book.

"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
CommanderKeller
Embryo
Embryo
CommanderKeller

PostSubject: Re: The Evolution of Claire   The Evolution of Claire Icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2018 5:12 pm

TheDreamMaster wrote:
So does anyone know if Universal will be considering these canon? I know in the past things like the kids novels were not, but with, as far as we know, them wanting canon from the video game, and BDH herself giving support for the book, of this one will be considered. Seems to give some actually interesting backstory amidst the teen drama angle of the book.

Yeah:

https://twitter.com/colintrevorrow/status/1012195045246566400
Back to top Go down
Dilophosaurus
Gallimimus
Gallimimus
Dilophosaurus

PostSubject: Re: The Evolution of Claire   The Evolution of Claire Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2018 3:25 am

CommanderKeller wrote:
TheDreamMaster wrote:

Yeah:

https://twitter.com/colintrevorrow/status/1012195045246566400

Nice! It's good to know that Colin has read the book and considers it canon. It's actually great that Colin is so involved in things like this and the websites. I feel like other directors/producers wouldn't care.
Back to top Go down
Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran
Sickle_Claw

PostSubject: Re: The Evolution of Claire   The Evolution of Claire Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2018 11:54 pm

Got my copy today, I hope to start reading it tomorrow night to be honest, and super excited to see what its all about. Been steering clear of spoilers.

Hatchling
Hatchling
Bbrink1996

PostSubject: Re: The Evolution of Claire   The Evolution of Claire Icon_minitimeFri Jul 06, 2018 11:03 pm

I got the book a few days ago but i'm still working through another novel at the moment so i'll probably start reading next week or so.
Back to top Go down
Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran
Sickle_Claw

PostSubject: Re: The Evolution of Claire   The Evolution of Claire Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2018 5:37 pm

Finally read it all the way through. Interesting. Giving some of my thoughts here:

Spoiler:

Stegosaurus
Stegosaurus
Spiegel

PostSubject: Re: The Evolution of Claire   The Evolution of Claire Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2018 7:07 pm

Sickle_Claw wrote:
Finally read it all the way through. Interesting. Giving some of my thoughts here:

Spoiler:

Sickle, do you have an overall review? Do you think it fits into and expands the canon? Are the dinosaurs just a side show or are the pivotal to the plot?

Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran
Sickle_Claw

PostSubject: Re: The Evolution of Claire   The Evolution of Claire Icon_minitimeSun Jul 08, 2018 11:23 pm

Spiegel wrote:
Sickle_Claw wrote:

Spoiler:

Sickle, do you have an overall review? Do you think it fits into and expands the canon? Are the dinosaurs just a side show or are the pivotal to the plot?
Theres a LOT of romance stuff in it. Theres one point that'll aggravate a lot of people, where Claire right out asks about the status of Sorna but the person being the tour guide or whatever right out brushes her off. I do think it expands a little in the canon, and the dinosaurs are definitely pivotal.

Hatchling
Hatchling
Baryonyx111

PostSubject: Re: The Evolution of Claire   The Evolution of Claire Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2018 8:49 pm

Sickle, do they ever give a list of the dinosaurs that are to be initially put on display at JW?

Veteran
Veteran
Sickle_Claw

PostSubject: Re: The Evolution of Claire   The Evolution of Claire Icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2018 11:00 pm

Baryonyx111 wrote:
Sickle, do they ever give a list of the dinosaurs that are to be initially put on display at JW?

They said which dinosaurs were the first put on the island I think.

Hatchling
Hatchling
Baryonyx111

PostSubject: Re: The Evolution of Claire   The Evolution of Claire Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2018 9:00 am

Sickle_Claw wrote:
Baryonyx111 wrote:

Ah, ok. Were they all hammond stock, or did they include new clones made by Masrani?

Veteran
Veteran
Sickle_Claw

PostSubject: Re: The Evolution of Claire   The Evolution of Claire Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2018 11:48 pm

Baryonyx111 wrote:
Sickle_Claw wrote:
Baryonyx111 wrote:

Ah, ok. Were they all hammond stock, or did they include new clones made by Masrani?

There were a mix. I think Rexy and the Brachios were Hammond, they talked about bringing dinos from sorna and there were some that they had cloned there.

Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
Dv-218

PostSubject: Re: The Evolution of Claire   The Evolution of Claire Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2018 3:42 am

^Huh, interesting. I just assumed that initially the animal stock was mostly composed of original JP dinosaurs and shipped Sorna dinosaurs. Which animals were new clones at the time? The Mosasaurus, I assume?

Also, what dinosaurs appear physically in the novel? I've seen Brachiosaurus and Velociraptor mentioned, just curious if there's more.

Back to top Go down
Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran
Sickle_Claw

PostSubject: Re: The Evolution of Claire   The Evolution of Claire Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2018 11:29 pm

Dv-218 wrote:
^Huh, interesting. I just assumed that initially the animal stock was mostly composed of original JP dinosaurs and shipped Sorna dinosaurs. Which animals were new clones at the time? The Mosasaurus, I assume?

Also, what dinosaurs appear physically in the novel? I've seen Brachiosaurus and Velociraptor mentioned, just curious if there's more.

Rexy and Trike besides these mentioned.

Brachiosaurus
Brachiosaurus
owenpratt

PostSubject: Re: The Evolution of Claire   The Evolution of Claire Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2018 4:39 am

I've read the book. These are my non-spoiler thoughts (I mean, except some basic things, like... there are dinosaurs in this novel lol)

I generally loved it, it is very entertaining, mysterious, engaging, emotional and even a bit scary towards the end. Nice twist towards the end, unexpected and quite interesting conceptually.

It has some flaws:
a bit slow in the first chapters, some imo out of place moments that felt too much like a teen book, the character of Wyatt too cartoonish... and especially the story seems to justify how we see Claire in Fallen Kingdom rather than telling us how she became the woman we see in the first half of Jurassic World. I mean, it tell that a bit but IMO it was way too rushed, like it's not a slow evolution, but all in a sudden, too fast for me.

..but aside from that, a really worthy addition to the franchise canonic universe, no doubts.
It will make you watch the movies on another perspective, seeing more about Claire than you ever imagined, making her an even more complex and interesting character.

How the characters get to know every place in the park is very satisfying: you get immersed in the park even more than in the movie, thanks to accurate and detailed descriptions. It reminded me a bit of the original JP novel, with the characters visiting the various sections of the park and asking questions here and there to the scientists, etc.

The scenes with the dinosaurs are fantastic. There's one when a huge carnivore arrives, and Claire sees her for the first time... and let me tell you, the description of the scene is gorgeous. You feel like you're there, and you can't believe the majesty of that animal. It's described too well.

I think though that the highlights of the novel are Masrani and Dr Wu: they really steal the show, they're interesting characters, very faithful to the movie version, except that Wu is much more present this time and much more relatable than we saw in the movies.

I now would love to read an origin book about Owen Grady. I know, he's not as interesting character as Claire, but maybe that's the reason I would love to read a book about him. To let him have more depth, and see for example how he met the Raptors, how he was called from the Navy to the park, how he met Claire.

Spoiler:

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/owenpratt93
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Evolution of Claire   The Evolution of Claire Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Evolution of Claire
Page 1 of 1