Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

General Movie Discussion

Go down 
+34
Scott B
Sickle_Claw
Dead2009
Rhedosaurus
jericho
Oshronosaurus
Bbrink1996
Levine
TheRexMan22
Spinosaur4.4
Dr. Wu
Tyrant Lizard
HennexForest
DeiXnonychus
Océane
Megaspino2
Aegyptiacus3
V.a.nublarensis
Island Queen
TRK/TrexKing
tigris115
MissDNA
smaugtheterrible
dance2nite
owenpratt
TorQue
TheDreamMaster
JPMalcolmDilo
CT-1138
Mysterious Hero M
GwrChurchward
evolution_rex
Darth Spidey
BobGrill
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 27 ... 34  Next
AuthorMessage
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

General Movie Discussion - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 27, 2017 10:43 pm

Michelle Rodriguez Threatens Fast and Furious 9 Exit
Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/862871-michelle-rodriguez-fast-and-furious-9#YwOLvGSF2MvXAQ4v.99

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 28, 2017 7:58 am

Avatar 2 will be in 3D but won't have 3D glasses.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
Spinosaur4.4
Veteran
Veteran
Spinosaur4.4

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 28, 2017 1:56 pm

Well, I'm just glad War for the Planet of the Apes is a masterpiece and most critics are loving it so far. Read some spoilers and damn, it's really going to be a dark movie. I want to watch it so bad, waited years for this. It's the only movie I trully care about this year, and I'm really glad it lived up to my expectations.

This movie is also a proof of how good CGI is amazing and outstands whatever pratical effect they would put in that movie. The apes look so fucking real, it's almost mindblowing to imagine it was all CGI. Whoever says CGI is crap and can't be better than pratical effects, I'll shove this movie down their faces. And Serkis deserve an Oscar too. 

By the way, I'm glad this reboot triology is amazing and should be an example of how to reboot a franchise.

Former JPL member, Spinosaur4.4.

General Movie Discussion - Page 21 LYHX0zA
Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 28, 2017 2:10 pm

Having recently rewatched Rise and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, and finding they get better from first to second film and get better on successive viewings, I'm really hyped for War for the Planet of the Apes! Its an example of every good thing that goes into a great reboot, and roving that you can in fact make a great story out of a franchise that has seemingly given all that it has left. I also revisited Jeremy Jahns' reviews for the Apes series, and he gave the "Awesometacular" rating to all of them, and if this final film is as great as I am hearing this trilogy looks to join the ranks of Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Toy Story and Back to the Future as among the most acclaimed trilogies in film.

General Movie Discussion - Page 21 Dinosa12
Back to top Go down
Spinosaur4.4
Veteran
Veteran
Spinosaur4.4

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 28, 2017 2:14 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Having recently rewatched Rise and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, and finding they get better from first to second film and get better on successive viewings, I'm really hyped for War for the Planet of the Apes! Its an example of every good thing that goes into a great reboot, and roving that you can in fact make a great story out of a franchise that has seemingly given all that it has left. I also revisited Jeremy Jahns' reviews for the Apes series, and he gave the "Awesometacular" rating to all of them, and if this final film is as great as I am hearing this trilogy looks to join the ranks of Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Toy Story and Back to the Future as among the most acclaimed trilogies in film.
I like that these movies are prequel to the original 68 film. They are telling the story of HOW it becomes a Planet of the Apes, and I'm loving it. There's so many stories to be told in that universe, even if they don't want to continue this series, there are a lot of material that can be made into series/books. I love this franchise so much. My favorite after JP.

Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 28, 2017 2:17 pm

Spinosaur4.4 wrote:
Well, I'm just glad War for the Planet of the Apes is a masterpiece and most critics are loving it so far. Read some spoilers and damn, it's really going to be a dark movie. I want to watch it so bad, waited years for this. It's the only movie I trully care about this year, and I'm really glad it lived up to my expectations.

This movie is also a proof of how good CGI is amazing and outstands whatever pratical effect they would put in that movie. The apes look so fucking real, it's almost mindblowing to imagine it was all CGI. Whoever says CGI is crap and can't be better than pratical effects, I'll shove this movie down their faces. And Serkis deserve an Oscar too. 

By the way, I'm glad this reboot triology is amazing and should be an example of how to reboot a franchise.

You've got a point. But one of the reasons CGI looks so good in these movies is because apes are still alive and are real creatures. And not only that but they are our closest cousins and have a very expressive face, often with emotion. Life of PI did this amazingly with the tiger. 

CGI is much harder when you're trying to do something that is not human like in any way, something that doesn't exist, or something that hasn't existed in a long time. 

I've heard good things about the movie but I also heard the title "War" is a bit misleading. Also unpopular opinion but I prefer rise to dawn.
Back to top Go down
Spinosaur4.4
Veteran
Veteran
Spinosaur4.4

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 28, 2017 5:59 pm

Troyal1 wrote:
Spinosaur4.4 wrote:

You've got a point. But one of the reasons CGI looks so good in these movies is because apes are still alive and are real creatures. And not only that but they are our closest cousins and have a very expressive face, often with emotion. Life of PI did this amazingly with the tiger. 

CGI is much harder when you're trying to do something that is not human like in any way, something that doesn't exist, or something that hasn't existed in a long time. 

I've heard good things about the movie but I also heard the title "War" is a bit misleading. Also unpopular opinion but I prefer rise to dawn.
I disagree a bit, if it was really the problem, then pratical effects of "Non-human" and unreal creatures would feel strange to us too. I think most of the hate about CGI is exagerated and just nitpick. For me, CGI is art. The guys that worked on WETA studios and gave life to those apes are artists. They deserve all the praise, also the actors in mo cap too.

Your opinion is not unpopular, most people think Rise is better than Dawn. I agree that Dawn had some problems, but it seems War is the best so far. And yes, it's not a movie ONLY about war, it's way more than that. It's a personal war, from Caesar's pespective.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 28, 2017 6:01 pm

It looks like a James Bond cinematic universe may happen.

This could be Sony's Plan B if their plan to revive and modify their own Spider-Man cinematic universe fails.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 28, 2017 9:42 pm

Spinosaur4.4 wrote:
Troyal1 wrote:
Spinosaur4.4 wrote:

I disagree a bit, if it was really the problem, then pratical effects of "Non-human" and unreal creatures would feel strange to us too. I think most of the hate about CGI is exagerated and just nitpick. For me, CGI is art. The guys that worked on WETA studios and gave life to those apes are artists. They deserve all the praise, also the actors in mo cap too.

Your opinion is not unpopular, most people think Rise is better than Dawn. I agree that Dawn had some problems, but it seems War is the best so far. And yes, it's not a movie ONLY about war, it's way more than that. It's a personal war, from Caesar's pespective.

I don't disagree with you for a second about them not being artists. I just think CGI and practical both have their place. But you are correct that these films show people that CGI is certainly needed in films. 

I think Serkis and the effects team deserve Oscars.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 29, 2017 8:15 am

Hally Berry says her Oscar win meant nothing.

Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 01, 2017 12:42 am

Surprised no one posted this:

Caught it today when I was having some down time during funeral preparations, and I was kind of shocked. Like, lots of people here know I am one of the ones who liked Ghostbusters (2016). Yet, given how poorly it did, why does this look like the exact same mistakes from Sony here?

-Modern version of a movie considered a classic by many.
-Not a remake. A "reboot" which may or may not be able to exist alongside the original.
- Seems to be aimed at a different demographic. GB'16 tried to bring in women, this seems aimed more at teens and young adults, where the original had child characters and was marketed to children and families.
- A twist on the formula. GB'16 was a women team, this is a video game instead of a board game (and they get sucked inside instead of it coming out at them.)
- A tone clearly trying to evoke the original, but not exactly getting what the original succeeded at.
- Lastly, while not approaching GB numbers by any means, the trailer already has over 33,000 dislikes, which is still a pretty huge amount for most movies.

I mean, I'm not expecting the disaster that was GB'16, again even though I think its ok, but it seems like ou can go down the list and check the boxes and they come up pretty similar.

"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 01, 2017 11:40 am

I thought they were considering this a sequel because it references things from the original

Paramount Pictures Sets Top Gun Sequel Release Date
Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/864373-paramount-pictures-sets-top-gun-sequel-release-date#FUjdQxrgXirzIC3k.99

Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 02, 2017 10:29 pm

TheDreamMaster wrote:

Caught it today when I was having some down time during funeral preparations, and I was kind of shocked. Like, lots of people here know I am one of the ones who liked Ghostbusters (2016). Yet, given how poorly it did, why does this look like the exact same mistakes from Sony here?

-Not a remake. A "reboot" which may or may not be able to exist alongside the original.
- Seems to be aimed at a different demographic. GB'16 tried to bring in women, this seems aimed more at teens and young adults, where the original had child characters and was marketed to children and families.
- A twist on the formula. GB'16 was a women team, this is a video game instead of a board game (and they get sucked inside instead of it coming out at them.)
- A tone clearly trying to evoke the original, but not exactly getting what the original succeeded at.
- Lastly, while not approaching GB numbers by any means, the trailer already has over 33,000 dislikes, which is still a pretty huge amount for most movies.

I mean, I'm not expecting the disaster that was GB'16, again even though I think its ok, but it seems like ou can go down the list and check the boxes and they come up pretty similar.

Not going to lie. I think it looks interesting without that Jumanji title. It just doesn't need that :/
Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 02, 2017 10:33 pm

Troyal1 wrote:
TheDreamMaster wrote:

Not going to lie. I think it looks interesting without that Jumanji title. It just doesn't need that :/

Much like GB'16, I'm in the same boat, I actually think it looks ok, but it doesn't need to be a Jumanji film. Part of me wonders if this was some kind of spec script that they slapped the name on and put in references. Like a guy wrote a film (maybe even called Welcome to the Jungle), and the studios wouldn't go for it. They took it back, called it Jumanji and made a few changes, and got the green light.

Back to top Go down
Oshronosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Oshronosaurus

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 04, 2017 10:53 pm

speaking of the Ghostbusters remake/reboot, i finally saw it recently. it's a solid "meh" for me, but i plan to watch it at least one more time before deleting it from my DVR. the only criticism i had based on the trailers was that StayPuft didn't look like a giant marshmallow man, he looked like a light-up parade balloon of a giant marshmallow man, which funnily enough turned out to be exactly the case.

Join the Brethren!
Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 05, 2017 12:23 am

July schedule is looking busy. Apes, Dunkirk, Spider-Man and GOT(I know it's not a movie but it looks good enough to be one). 

Great time to be a fan of film.
Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 05, 2017 7:41 pm

Lionsgate Will Probably Distribute ‘Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen’

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 11, 2017 5:44 pm

It looks like the projections of this summer being a bad one for movies have been true. Other then Wonder Woman and the new Spider-Man movie, all others have underperformed massively.

This picture says it all.

General Movie Discussion - Page 21 Sinking_movies

Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 11, 2017 6:59 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
It looks like the projections of this summer being a bad one for movies have been true. Other then Wonder Woman and the new Spider-Man movie, all others have underperformed massively.

This picture says it all.

General Movie Discussion - Page 21 Sinking_movies
While I certainly see Transformers and Pirates, I think Cars really shouldn't factor because it hasn't been out long, and the Cars films easily make up for losses in their merchandise.

Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 12, 2017 10:41 am

Quentin Tarantino to develop a movie on the Manson family murders

Back to top Go down
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator
TheDreamMaster

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 12, 2017 7:12 pm

Dead2009 wrote:
Yep, sure this won't come off as tasteless or anything.

Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 12, 2017 9:26 pm

TheDreamMaster wrote:
Dead2009 wrote:
Yep, sure this won't come off as tasteless or anything.

To be fair though, has QT ever cared about offended people? lol
Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 13, 2017 4:55 pm

Just got my tickets for Apes tonight!!! Will report back in a couple hours.

Edit: back. Going to be an unpopular opinion but I didn't like it at all really. And as a huge fan of the first and second I was supremely let down. One of my most fundamental Issues with the movies is 1. Breaking new ground 2. Potential 

1. I always felt like this might be a problem for me before seeing the film but I didn't bring it up ever. In rise we are living in today's world until a medical breakthrough changes the ways in which apes think. It sets up the universe nicely. 

In Dawn we have a massive jump from apes just fighting humans and being smarter to the world being post apocalyptic, apes riding horses and wielding guns. In war there is no such Jump. Not even remotely. I always thought this film looked far more like Dawn of the planet of the apes part 2 rather than a proper part 3 in this prequel trilogy. Yes some time has passed but as you can see from the trailers it's about the apes squabbling with another group of humans much like Dawn.

2. The potential of the movie is incredible. First off the CGI is amazing and probably the best I've ever seen. Even though I don't like the film I think Oscars are in order. The film starts with a battle that is incredible and sets a very bleak tone. After this I was on the edge of my seat, but the film takes a very sharp turn into unexpected territory. In the first 30-40 minutes there were moments where myself and the audience gasped audibly. But it was very weird, it was doing things you would not expect a blockbuster to do and right when I felt the film plodded along it puts us in a new location. Perfect I thought! This is where things pick up. 

The next section will be under spoilers but know this. There is no War in this film in any way you are expecting. Remember that cool poster where there are two armies standing head to head? Yeah nothing even remotely like that happens. Pretty much every big scene was already shown in the trailer that related to the war aspect... I'm not exaggerating. I think Rise has more ape on human action. 

Spoiler:

I know the majority of you guys are going to disagree with this review and that's okay but that's my honest opinion as a fan. There is honestly more stuff that I didn't like but I need to sleep. The first half of this movie was so good but I felt the second was so mediocre and forgettable.
Back to top Go down
Spinosaur4.4
Veteran
Veteran
Spinosaur4.4

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 14, 2017 1:01 am

Okay, I'll play the devil advocate here. First, your opinion is pretty valid Troyal and I respect it and can see where you are coming from, specially that you watched the movie already.

As you guys might know, I'm a huge APES fan (not only this triology but the originals), and I think that people are expecting another thing from this movie, the way it's being marketed. It's not ONLY about a War between humans and apes, it's way more than that. Matt Reeves said in most interviews that this was more than an explicit WAR but more of a war inside Caesar's soul. A war inside the characters. And he kept also saying that this was about character and not just a Transformers action packed Blockbuster we see every time. So I think if you are expecting to see lots of action and WAR, you are going to not like this movie at all.

Title is misleading, but still on point. There's still a War, but more than that. And I find pretty interesting Reeves took the foccus on characters, that's what I want to see mostly. By the way, I think  it only makes the movie and conflict real. 

The movie only releases on August here, I'll try to watch it as soon as possible and check it out.

Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 14, 2017 1:45 am

Spinosaur4.4 wrote:
Okay, I'll play the devil advocate here. First, your opinion is pretty valid Troyal and I respect it and can see where you are coming from, specially that you watched the movie already.

As you guys might know, I'm a huge APES fan (not only this triology but the originals), and I think that people are expecting another thing from this movie, the way it's being marketed. It's not ONLY about a War between humans and apes, it's way more than that. Matt Reeves said in most interviews that this was more than an explicit WAR but more of a war inside Caesar's soul. A war inside the characters. And he kept also saying that this was about character and not just a Transformers action packed Blockbuster we see every time. So I think if you are expecting to see lots of action and WAR, you are going to not like this movie at all.

Title is misleading, but still on point. There's still a War, but more than that. And I find pretty interesting Reeves took the foccus on characters, that's what I want to see mostly. By the way, I think  it only makes the movie and conflict real. 

The movie only releases on August here, I'll try to watch it as soon as possible and check it out.

Very fair and valid point. Spino is correct in what he's saying. 

Although I was enjoying the movie even when it wasn't in war mode. There is a turn in the film 
Spoiler:

If you watch that woman on YouTube "beyond the trailer" non spoiler review she pretty much sums up my feelings exactly. I don't often agree with her but she felt the first half was a masterpiece but felt the same as me. She put it into words way better. 

https://youtu.be/gCJciV8YSnU
Back to top Go down
Dr. Wu
Veteran
Veteran
Dr. Wu

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 14, 2017 8:43 am

Personally I loved the prison stuff since it was Auschwitz-esque. Very dark stuff.

And the title is both misleading and very accurate. The ape and human battle at the beginning sums up what has been happening for two years so the instead of making a film that has constant ape and human battles the filmmakers go for a more personal route with Caesar being at war with his own darker impulses which IMO was the best way to go.

Also as a fan who grew up the original films I love how this movie connects to the very original film. Sure continuity wise the films like Escape, Conquest, and Battle can't be in the same continuity as Rise, Dawn, and War but it's not impossible for the original 1968 film (maybe even Beneath) to share two canons. For example the reboot of Friday the 13th in 2009 ignored every sequel but not the original so why can't these new Ape films do the same?

War defiantly alluded to the classic 1968 film but saying that film now officially shares two continuities is another story but I hope so.

Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 15, 2017 5:47 pm

More bad news for Sony Pictures.

A major financing company from Texas is going to stop helping Sony after multiple flops.

Back to top Go down
Spinosaur4.4
Veteran
Veteran
Spinosaur4.4

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 15, 2017 8:11 pm

So I just watched War for the Planet of the Apes and loved it. (PS: Yes I watched from a torrent, felt horrible about doing that but I was so excited I couldn't wait).

I felt it was really a fast movie, hours went fast. I imagined it would be a more quiet movie, but no, I was impressed. Cinematography is just perfect. Every scene felt real. The apes look real. If anyone bitches about CGI not being so good, show this movie. This is really a slap in every CGI hater face. And Andy Serkis needs an Oscar. 

I loved it as a fan. 10/10 best movie of the year IMO.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 17, 2017 7:28 am

With a budget of $180 million, “Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets” is the most expensive indie movie ever made.

Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 19, 2017 7:05 pm

Catfish Directors to Write and Direct Mega Man Movie
Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/871065-catfish-directors-to-write-and-direct-mega-man-movie#AUUALiWJSp3GAHu4.99

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   General Movie Discussion - Page 21 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General Movie Discussion
Page 21 of 34Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 27 ... 34  Next