Don't worry, Ian. I'm not making the same mistakes again! est 2016.

HomeMainframeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

General Movie Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:55 pm

TheDreamMaster wrote:
I feel like that Mel Brooks article is sort of stating the obvious. Besides the fact the comedy landscape has changed, even in the context of the film using the n-word so freely in a film just won't fly today.  

Tarintino did just that in Djago Unchained. That being said, that movie was the exception to the rule since it was a hybrid of a western and a blaxploitation movie. We also have to consider the time period of which the movie was set in since political correctness simply didn't exist back then. With everything being taken into account, I highly doubt even QT can get away with something like that again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
evolution_rex
Dimorphodon
Dimorphodon

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:24 pm

BBC names top their top 25 best films of the 21st Century.

Mulholland Drive is a pretty great movie but I'm not sure it should be number one. But I'm glad to see it there somewhere, along with Inside Llewyn Davis and Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind. The Tree of Life and There Will Be Blood deserve to be there too. I disagree with Holy Motors going on that list though, I didn't hate the movie but it certainly isn't anywhere near the best of the millennium so far.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://letterboxd.com/evolution_rex/
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:49 pm

Angry Birds Movie Sequel Being Planned

http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:10 pm

Dead2009 wrote:
Angry Birds Movie Sequel Being Planned

I don't see how that can be possible. The first, and as of now only, Angry Birds movie was a flop. At least it was here in the U.S.A.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:12 pm

You guys throw out the word "flop" too freely lol, it made 107 million in the States alone off a budget of 73 mil. Worldwide (which is what they really look at) is 346 million.

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:30 am

Yeah, Angry Birds might be many things but it isn't a flop. Razz

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting on news on the Warcraft sequel and whether or not it's been canned.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tigris115
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:46 pm

Did anyone here see Sausage party?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:10 pm

I havent

Duncan Jones Talks Potential Return for Warcraft Sequel, No Director’s Cut

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:25 pm

Daniel Radcliffe may be returning as Harry Potter!

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:22 pm

Dead2009 wrote:

It's odd that after being burned by both studio executives and scathing critic reviews Duncan Jones would be open to doing a Warcraft sequel. Fortunately for him, the film's negative reception and weak box office takings didn't tank his career. The movie needed to gross a fair amount over $433 million in order to warrant a Director's Cut since so much of the movie was dependent on visual effects and the effects needing to look as freaking good as they were 90% of the time.

Now its true that I enjoyed Warcraft, more than I expected to, but I believe it should have been better than it was and certainly could have been had Universal allowed a longer, more fleshed out cut of the film to be shown in cinemas. Maybe some of those deleted scenes could be considered "canon" to the events of the movie. If there is to be a sequel that manages to improve on the faults of the first film, maybe it's best to keep Jones on as a creative consultant or producer. The optimist in me believes that there could still be a good Warcraft movie in the future.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:34 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Dead2009 wrote:

It's odd that after being burned by both studio executives and scathing critic reviews Duncan Jones would be open to doing a Warcraft sequel. Fortunately for him, the film's negative reception and weak box office takings didn't tank his career. The movie needed to gross a fair amount over $433 million in order to warrant a Director's Cut since so much of the movie was dependent on visual effects and the effects needing to look as freaking good as they were 90% of the time.

Now its true that I enjoyed Warcraft, more than I expected to, but I believe it should have been better than it was and certainly could have been had Universal allowed a longer, more fleshed out cut of the film to be shown in cinemas. Maybe some of those deleted scenes could be considered "canon" to the events of the movie. If there is to be a sequel that manages to improve on the faults of the first film, maybe it's best to keep Jones on as a creative consultant or producer. The optimist in me believes that there could still be a good Warcraft movie in the future.

I know it did well internationally, but is a movie that bombed domestically-at least here in the United States-worth getting a sequel? "Battleship", bombed here and did well internationally too, but you don't see a sequel coming anytime soon. Not only that, but given the notorious history of video game movies, sequels are far worse then the first ones.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:02 pm

Well that's the thing, realistically I wouldn't expect there to be a sequel within the next four to five years. Legendary might push for a sequel to capitalize on the success in China and skip American cinemas altogether (hopefully not the UK ones otherwise I won't be able to review them). But again, both cases are gambles of long odds.

Meanwhile, this new release of The Rock in the Jumanji reboot is... interesting. An obvious Indiana Jones expy, but does raise my curiosity quite a bit. At least he's not playing an Alan Parrish type character.

The Rock is Dr. Bravestone in First Jumanji Concept Art
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:31 pm

An independant movie, The Sea Of Trees, which stars Ken Watanabe, Matthew McConaughey, and Naomi Watts has made less then $3,000 dollars.

It costs $25 million to make. Your biggest bomb of the year so far.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mysterious Hero M

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:59 pm

Warcraft was fucking huge in China. Also Legendary is now owned by a Chinese company so they got more money then usual from the Chinese release. There's articles online with more details about this. Also an indie movie bombing isn't something to celebrate. Pretty sad tbh especially with Ken Watanabe being sick recently.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:29 am

That may by true, but it bombed/flopped in most other places except for Russia. Also, I was never celebrating anything. I was just posting an article.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:04 pm

Independent movies normally never make that much money due to the amount of screens they get and how long they stay in theaters.

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:32 pm

Sony Reportedly Offered Daniel Craig $150 Million To Play Bond Again

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:26 am

Dead2009 wrote:
Sony Reportedly Offered Daniel Craig $150 Million To Play Bond Again

I find it hard to believe that Sony can afford it with how bad of a year it's been. And last year was only marginally better. That being said, desperate people do desperate things so at this point, I can see Sony do something like this for the sake of getting a big movie success.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:52 am

Lexi Alexander will direct a biopic on Chris Beniot.

The WWE won't be happy when this comes out. The fact that they've tried to do a Stalinist style history cleansing of him, and failed since the internet was just too big at the time of his triple murder-suicide. (He had one older son and daughter that were not at the house when he went insane.)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:23 am

Rhedosaurus wrote:

The WWE won't be happy when this comes out. The fact that they've tried to do a Stalinist style history cleansing of him, and failed since the internet was just too big at the time of his triple murder-suicide. (He had one older son and daughter that were not at the house when he went insane.)

Rhedo I thank you for keeping this thread alive.

As for the biopic, I just don't feel it's a good idea. I'm not a wrestling fan, so I don't really care if the WWE gets its image hurt, and I know it's like any other biopic, but it feels so dark, and still feels sad. I remember when they did the tribute before learning what happened, and the colossal screw up it was. Plus it's not entirely sure what happened, whether brain injuries or something else took a toll on his psyche, but I am also against facts presented wrong on sensationalized.

"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:24 am

TheDreamMaster wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

Rhedo I thank you for keeping this thread alive.

As for the biopic, I just don't feel it's a good idea. I'm not a wrestling fan, so I don't really care if the WWE gets its image hurt, and I know it's like any other biopic, but it feels so dark, and still feels sad. I remember when they did the tribute before learning what happened, and the colossal screw up it was. Plus it's not entirely sure what happened, whether brain injuries or something else took a toll on his psyche, but I am also against facts presented wrong on sensationalized.

No problem. Smile

As for what happened, the official autopsy results said that Benoit had massive brain damage as a result of multiple concussions via his headbutts/diving headbutts from the top of the turnbuckle. Add in all the other blows to the head the he suffered, the doctors said that his brain resembled that of an 85 year old man with Alzheimer's disease. IIRC, the most advanced stages too. Not only that, but I also read that one of the old timers said that Benoit eventually became a alcoholic. Add in the pain after his old friend Eddie Guerrero died, and he changed vert fast. A lot of people say that was final straw that pushed him over the point of no return.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:08 pm

Colin Trevorrow's Book of Henry delayed until Summer 2017

What do you guys think of this? The filming has already wrapped up on The Book of Henry and it should make for a potential Oscars contender in a September release, and now it's in a very crowded summer next year. What does that tell us? That the film is in fact a turkey (let's absolutley hope not) or will it make for some nice counter-programming like The Gift was for a summer dominated by the likes of Mission: Impossible 5, Inside Out and of course Jurassic World?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
owenpratt
Parasaurolophus
Parasaurolophus

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:57 am

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Colin Trevorrow's Book of Henry delayed until Summer 2017

What do you guys think of this? The filming has already wrapped up on The Book of Henry and it should make for a potential Oscars contender in a September release, and now it's in a very crowded summer next year. What does that tell us? That the film is in fact a turkey (let's absolutley hope not) or will it make for some nice counter-programming like The Gift was for a summer dominated by the likes of Mission: Impossible 5, Inside Out and of course Jurassic World?

This gives the film the chance to gross more money, but less Oscars chance, IMO.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:49 am

Tom Rothman has now become delusional.

He actually compared his position at Sony and the progress they've made to that of where Winston Churchill was after the battle of El Alamein.

Laugh freely, people.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:52 am

Neutral

Tom Rothman's always been delusional, to the point of self-sabotage no less, but this is pushing it! Hell, look just how uncomfortable Chris and J-Law look standing next to him, those smiles are hiding the sheer terror in their eyes, that I can promise you!

Sony just wasted one of their classic intellectual properties on a lame reboot that was mismanaged from day one by Amy Pascal and marketed like the worst film ever, he (and the studio at large) hardly have a foot to stand on. They better hope The Rock is able to inject some life into the Jumanji franchise.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:13 am

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Neutral

Tom Rothman's always been delusional, to the point of self-sabotage no less, but this is pushing it! Hell, look just how uncomfortable Chris and J-Law look standing next to him, those smiles are hiding the sheer terror in their eyes, that I can promise you!

Sony just wasted one of their classic intellectual properties on a lame reboot that was mismanaged from day one by Amy Pascal and marketed like the worst film ever, he (and the studio at large) hardly have a foot to stand on. They better hope The Rock is able to inject some life into the Jumanji franchise.

I find it equally bizarre that Rothman didn't outright throw Amy Pascal under the bus when saying all this. After all, if you're going to promote yourself, then at least find a scapegoat to make yourself look good. I don't doubt that he did it behind closed doors, but self-promotion like this without making yourself look good is absurd.

Speaking of Rothman not throwing Pascal under the bus, why hasn't she been fired yet? Considering how GB2016 was her idea and how it bombed so badly, one would have thought she would have fired by now, yet she's still with Sony.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:57 pm

Shrek 5 is being written by an Austin Powers writer..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:11 am

Disney and Warner Bros. no longer have a dual-monopoly on the superhero genre.

Leonardo DiCaprio is going to produce a Captain Planet movie with Paramount.

Call me nostalgic, but I loved that show as a kid and I still do.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:18 am

I never saw a single bit of Captain Planet as a little kid, so I have no strong feelings one way or the other. But I do know that Jeff Goldblum voiced a villian on that show, which is pretty neat.

Also, this news about Shrek 5 doesn't excite me much. Shrek to me is like the Terminator franchise of DreamWorks Animation, the first two are truly great films, the third is a complete nosedive and the fourth is an attempt to salvage the franchise but still doesn't amount to much (at least that's how I view the first four Terminator and Shrek movies). Is there a chance that Shrek 5 can dodge the fate of Terminator Genysis? Perhaps, but I'm not holding my breath for it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TRK
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:05 pm

I'm excited for Captain Planet, I just hope that don't change the lore much, like what it looks like power rangers is doing.

I didn't even see the Shrek 5 announcement, I still haven't seen Shrek 4.

Spinosaur4.4
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:04 pm

I am very excited for War for the Planet of the Apes! I love this franchise and hope the next movie is amazing! Screw the haters!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDreamMaster
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:57 pm

Spinosaur4.4 wrote:
I am very excited for War for the Planet of the Apes! I love this franchise and hope the next movie is amazing! Screw the haters!

There are haters? I mean, to be fair there is haters for every movie, but the new PotA films seem to be pretty well loved overall. I know I loved them.

"We'll use the Force."- Finn
 "That's not how the Force works!"- Han Solo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spinosaur4.4
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:08 pm

TheDreamMaster wrote:
Spinosaur4.4 wrote:

There are haters? I mean, to be fair there is haters for every movie, but the new PotA films seem to be pretty well loved overall. I know I loved them.

Yep there are. Incredible enough, I saw many ppl talk trash about Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and how "superficial" it was. I can't belive they watched the same movie as I did. Dawn is amazing, and I hope War is even better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:20 pm

*Grumpy sigh*

Rambo is getting a reboot...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:43 pm

Sony's in the news.

It didn't take Tom Rothman long to make things at Sony worse...

Yet, Tim Miller is going to make a live action/CGI hybrid movie of Sonic The Hedgehog.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spinosaur4.4
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:53 am

Looks like War for the Planet of the Apes first trailer will come out this month. So excited! Can't wait to see more Caesar and Woody Harrelson kick ass!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:34 am

With Sony continuing to trip up on it's own shoelaces with Tom Rothman being his usual moronic, destructive self, does anyone want to take a guess as to how well or poorly The Rock's Jumanji is going to fare?

My best case scenario is that it turns out akin to Jack Black's Goosebumps movie, but on the opposite end is a repeat of the Paul Fieg Ghostbusters debacle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:38 am

I think it will turn out to be a respectable movie, but not quite worth the wait. Then again, it does have The Rock so he can make it worth the wait. If it does do bad, then I don't think it will be GB2016 as so much as it will be like this years ID4 sequel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:27 am

I certainly hope it turns out good or decent, and with The Rock at the fore its box office appeal for the young crowd has bumped up dramatically. Of the four main cast members the only actor I don't get is Kevin Hart, his comedy just doesn't clock with me. If not, I still have the Robin Williams classic to love and cherish if this one doesn't work out; it's not going anywhere.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:22 pm

Robert Redford will says his next two movies will be his final ones and will retire after they are released.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:27 pm

Josh Trank is going to make a comeback with an Al Capone biopic with Tom Hardy. It will be named Fonzo. I think he deserves a second chance since he was basically rushed into making Fantastic 4 much too sooner then what he was really ready for. A lot of people are like that in the entertainment industry nowadays, which is sad.

Uwe Boll has retired from making movies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:18 pm

Nobody ever stays retired, Id be surprised if he doesnt start making movies again by the end of next year.

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:25 am

Dead2009 wrote:
Nobody ever stays retired, Id be surprised if he doesnt start making movies again by the end of next year.

You may be right. With our luck, Sony will have him make the sequel to GB2016. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:20 pm

Wedding Crashers 2 is going to be made.

The Stargate reboot just got cancelled, mainly due to the poor underachieving performance of the ID4 sequel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:57 am

Since I have not seen the original Wedding Crashers, I have no strong feelings one way or the other. But I can say this; in the last five years how many belated sequels to beloved comedies have actually done well with audiences and critics?

As for the Stargate reboot cancellation, thank God. It seems that some good did manage to emerge from the failure of ID4: Resurgence; especially since the whole reboot train on the whole really needs to start slowing down, and Devlin and Emmerich were going to scrap the whole original continuity and replace it one that would have no doubt been much lamer. That isn't to say another writer/producer can't come in and revive the series without rebooting it sometime in the future, but it's very clear to me that Emmerich is not the entertainer he used to be.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Movie Discussion   

Back to top Go down

General Movie Discussion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 18Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 18  Next