Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

Ask a paleo question

Go down 
+15
JD-man
Nathanoraptor
DorianGray
Océane
Spinosaur4.4
Raptor Blue
Gojira2014
BarrytheOnyx
Tacticool Rex
Rhedosaurus
Oshronosaurus
Aegyptiacus3
SpinoInWonderland
Oliphaunt
Paleoman
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
AuthorMessage
Paleoman
Hatchling
Hatchling
Paleoman

Ask a paleo question - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 03, 2017 7:02 pm

I would imagine that would be the case yes. Unless there would be a speed threshold that the dinosaur couldn't overcome, but again I'm not familiar with the requisite physics.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 04, 2017 4:20 pm

Could Deniocheirus eat fish at all and was there enough water back in LC Mongolia/China to have a healthy freshwater ecosystem to begin with?

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
JD-man
Pachycephalosaurus
Pachycephalosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 05, 2017 5:54 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Could Deniocheirus eat fish at all

No offense, but that's a weird question given that we know that Deinocheirus ate fish at least sometimes.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 05, 2017 6:32 pm

JD-man wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
Could Deniocheirus eat fish at all

No offense, but that's a weird question given that we know that Deinocheirus ate fish at least sometimes.

I honestly didn't know that until recently.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 23, 2017 2:24 pm

Why was Allosaurus such a common predator in Late Jurassic North America when there were other meat eaters roughly the same size (Ceratosaurus via its length being upgraded to 26ft long) and those even larger (Torvosaurus)? Was it due to a high birth rate or was it just more adaptable?

Back to top Go down
JD-man
Pachycephalosaurus
Pachycephalosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 26, 2017 8:38 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Why was Allosaurus such a common predator in Late Jurassic North America when there were other meat eaters roughly the same size (Ceratosaurus via its length being upgraded to 26ft long) and those even larger (Torvosaurus)?

To quote Foster (See Jurassic West: The Dinosaurs of the Morrison Formation and Their World), "Models I've worked on that simulate prey-to-predator energy flow and relative abundances of predator and prey taxa suggest that in order to have been as abundant as it was, relative to other theropods, Allosaurus would have to have been a generalist, feeding on a greater variety of prey species than other carnivorous dinosaurs (see chapter 7)."
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 27, 2017 6:33 pm

Did T. rex have enough power to bite though the skull armor of an ankylosaur or decapitate it like it did with Triceratops?

Back to top Go down
JD-man
Pachycephalosaurus
Pachycephalosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 29, 2017 2:01 am

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Did T. rex have enough power to bite though the skull armor of an ankylosaur or decapitate it like it did with Triceratops?

To quote Holtz (See Dinosaurs: The Most Complete, Up-to-Date Encyclopedia for Dinosaur Lovers of All Ages), "there is a skull of the giant ankylosaurid Tarchia with a wound that was almost certainly produced by the bite of the even larger tyrannosaurid Tarbosaurus."
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 17, 2017 6:00 pm

How strong was the bite of Dilophosaurus? I remember reading that most considered it quite weak, but I read that Gregory S. Paul said that it could bite harder then what most people thought.

Back to top Go down
Oshronosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Oshronosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 18, 2017 5:55 am

what i've heard is that it didn't bite so much as saw off chunks of flesh

come to think of it, that kinda reminds me of the cookie-cutter shark

Join the Brethren!
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu May 25, 2017 5:11 pm

Could a large group of small herbivorous dinosaurs chase off a medium sized predator (Thescelosaurus chasing off a lone Dakotaraptor) like some birds sho off vultures and crows?

Back to top Go down
Minmi
Ceratosaurus
Ceratosaurus
Minmi

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri May 26, 2017 3:57 am

I suppose it's possible that if small herbivores gathered into a large enough group, they may have been able to scare off a predator, but I'd say it's more likely they'd follow their natural instinct and run away.

Embryo
Embryo

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat May 27, 2017 8:56 am

What advantages did birds have over smaller pterosaurs? People say that birds had an ecological advantage in most niche environments, eventually forcing the smaller pterosaurs into decline; what were those ecological advantages?

I need help for something I'm writing.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat May 27, 2017 9:48 am

Nathanoraptor wrote:
What advantages did birds have over smaller pterosaurs? People say that birds had an ecological advantage in most niche environments, eventually forcing the smaller pterosaurs into decline; what were those ecological advantages?

I need help for something I'm writing.

1.Having feathered meant that they could live in colder climates then pterosaurs.

2. The fact that birds could lose some feathers have grow them back was a huge advantage over the membrane of pterosaurs. A bird can afford to lose a few feathers but a pterosaur couldn't afford to have a hole in it's membrane.

3. Size, being smaller meant that birds could survive harsher conditions. It also meant that they could make nests in trees which made it harder for predators to catch them.

Back to top Go down
Océane
Océane

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 08, 2017 6:09 pm

Do we still think that certain Pterosaurs could dive into the water like many seabirds, and if so would Nyctosaurus be one of them?

Oshronosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Oshronosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 11, 2017 4:41 pm

iirc it's mainly Pteranodon that's thought to have done that now, and i'd say it would stand to reason that other pteranodonts would, too. though i'd guess that Nyctosaurus in particular might actually not be one of those since, iirc, it was so hyper-specialized for flight that it had trouble moving around anywhere but in the sky

than again i'm not an expert, so take that with a grain of salt

Join the Brethren!
Back to top Go down
JD-man
Pachycephalosaurus
Pachycephalosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 12, 2017 2:56 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
How strong was the bite of Dilophosaurus? I remember reading that most considered it quite weak, but I read that Gregory S. Paul said that it could bite harder then what most people thought.

See pages 193-198: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Francois_Therrien2/publication/259010793_Bite_me_Biomechanical_models_of_theropod_mandibles_and_implications_for_feeding_behavior/links/5633866108ae88cf81ba4427/Bite-me-Biomechanical-models-of-theropod-mandibles-and-implications-for-feeding-behavior.pdf

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Could a large group of small herbivorous dinosaurs chase off a medium sized predator (Thescelosaurus chasing off a lone Dakotaraptor) like some birds sho off vultures and crows?

Minmi wrote:
I suppose it's possible that if small herbivores gathered into a large enough group, they may have been able to scare off a predator, but I'd say it's more likely they'd follow their natural instinct and run away.

To add to what Minmi said, birds can fly ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdrl__ggV9k ).

Nathanoraptor wrote:

To quote Habib, "There were a wide range of flight patterns demonstrated by pterosaurs, showing the versatility of their wing structure, and yet, they never seem to have generated the degree of wing and flight diversity seen in birds, which was probably the result of certain physical constraints on the pterosaur wing. Pterosaurs could not, for example, split the end of their wing into separate tips as many birds do; which is a very useful trick for slow flying" ( https://pterosaur.net/flight.php ).

Océane wrote:
Do we still think that certain Pterosaurs could dive into the water like many seabirds, and if so would Nyctosaurus be one of them?

To quote Conway, "Dive-fishing is also possible for small pterosaurs—but again, unlikely for large ones, as it seems doubtful that they could take off from the water. So it seems the most like fishing method for medium to large pterosaurs was to snatch fish on the wing, with minimal contact with the water" (See "Restoring Behaviour": https://pterosaur.net/restoration.php ).

To quote Witton, "Extreme forms of plunge diving - like that seen in a gannet, say - is also out: no pterosaurs have the streamlined skulls or robust jaw joints of deep plunge divers. One unusual pterosaur trackway shows that pterosaurs were happy punting around on the water surface (Fig. 2), so maybe they managed to procure their food by dipping their heads beneath the water surface or engaging in shallow surface-diving behaviour" (See "Dining at Bistro de Pterosaur": https://pterosaur.net/ecology.php ).
Back to top Go down
GeekyAustin
Embryo
Embryo
GeekyAustin

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2018 1:10 am

I found out about the Abelisaurus earlier today. Only skull fragments are known, so how do they know what the rest of him looked like?

Ask a paleo question - Page 8 34625181_1838427822876154_6752007074021900288_n
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4HAZwFtUEJpzdZq3ag
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2018 1:02 pm

GeekyAustin wrote:
I found out about the Abelisaurus earlier today. Only skull fragments are known, so how do they know what the rest of him looked like?

Mainly because of how there have been enough fossils of its relatives that have been found to fill in the gaps.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2018 7:17 pm

I heard some stuff about a Parasaurolophus being found in the Hell Creek formation. If that really is the case, then why did it just dwindle so much?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ask a paleo question
Page 8 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8