Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

Ask a paleo question

Go down 
+15
JD-man
Nathanoraptor
DorianGray
Océane
Spinosaur4.4
Raptor Blue
Gojira2014
BarrytheOnyx
Tacticool Rex
Rhedosaurus
Oshronosaurus
Aegyptiacus3
SpinoInWonderland
Oliphaunt
Paleoman
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Raptor Blue
Embryo
Embryo
Raptor Blue

Ask a paleo question - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2016 6:51 pm

Gojira2014 wrote:
Do you think Spinosaurus walked on 4 legs, 2 legs, or both? I'd say both, like this.Ask a paleo question - Page 2 Bipedal_spinosaurus_by_thedinorocker-d8esjfv

Both. Although it likely spent most of its life in water.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2016 6:44 am

What's the case against Achelosaurus being a different species of Pachyrhinosaurus?

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
Oliphaunt
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Oliphaunt

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2016 6:52 am

Walking quadrupedally wouldn't happen, it would have to deviate crazily from the condition seen in all other theropod species in order to be able to do that. We lack enough evidence of the arms of Spinosaurus to say that they were any different from those of other Spinosaurids. Even the purporters if the quadrupedal model themselves have backed down from it, I hear.

@Achelousaurus, aside from physical differences like the boss and frill shape, it appears that Achelou lived earlier.

-Cope (M) Brontosaurus excelsus
-Hook (F): Suchomimus tenerensis
Back to top Go down
Spinosaur4.4
Veteran
Veteran
Spinosaur4.4

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2016 10:18 am

Do we have any Taurovenator's size estimates?

Former JPL member, Spinosaur4.4.

Ask a paleo question - Page 2 LYHX0zA
Back to top Go down
Oliphaunt
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Oliphaunt

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2016 10:52 am

20 feet / 6 meters long, same as Aoniraptor. I've also heard 7 meters.

Back to top Go down
Spinosaur4.4
Veteran
Veteran
Spinosaur4.4

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2016 11:02 am

6 meters...Pretty small compared to the others XD. But still great. Thanks Oliphaunt. Razz

Former JPL member, Spinosaur4.4.

Ask a paleo question - Page 2 LYHX0zA
Back to top Go down
Oshronosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Oshronosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2016 1:34 pm

any help on my questions?
Oshronosaurus wrote:
btw, does anyone know what the correct form of drypto in other dinosaur names would be if it were used in place of tyrannus? (i'm debating whether an altered name of Yutyrannus, for example, would be Yudryptos or Yudryptus)

and another: does anyone know the exact date that Eoraptor's description was published? i know it was in 1993 but need something more specific than that

Join the Brethren!
Back to top Go down
Oliphaunt
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Oliphaunt

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2016 4:38 pm

@4.4: Welcome!

@Oshronosaurus: It would probably be Yudryptos, as the unaltered Latin word is dryptō (δρύπτω).

Back to top Go down
Oshronosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Oshronosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2016 5:11 pm

thanks, Ollie Wink already went and changed the names from -dryptus to -dryptos in the project i had it for

you wouldn't happen to have any links to papers describing Eoraptor, would you?

Join the Brethren!
Back to top Go down
Océane
Océane

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2016 7:55 pm

So has the theory of the spinosaur's sail being a hump been debunked? I haven't seen paleoart of it in a while.

Oliphaunt
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Oliphaunt

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2016 7:58 am

@Osh, nope, sorry. Closest I got is the description of a herrerasaurid from 2010-11.

@RaptorLover0823, Ibrahim et al. (2014) concluded that the top 1/3rd of the spine was tightly covered in skin and didn't support a hump. It's more likely that it was a hump at the base, a ridge at the middle and a sail at the top.

Back to top Go down
Oshronosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Oshronosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2016 2:58 pm

i'll just run with Eoraptor being described in early 1993 for the purposes of my project , then Wink

Join the Brethren!
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2016 5:22 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Is Tianzhenosaurus still considered it's own ankylosaur or is it a far more complete specimen of Shanxia?

^ This please

Last edited by Rhedosaurus on Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Oliphaunt
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Oliphaunt

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 29, 2016 6:57 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Is Tianzhenosaurus still considered it's own ankylosaur or is it a far more complete specimen of Shanxia?

^ This please

Still mostly considered its own genus. Mostly.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 6:48 am

Why did the lambeosaurine get rarer as the Late Cretaceous went on?

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

Back to top Go down
Oliphaunt
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Oliphaunt

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 6:54 am

We have a bunch of Lambeosaurines from 70-66 mya, IIRC.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 5:52 pm

Oliphaunt wrote:

From what I've seen and read, only Hypacrosaurus was the one to have lasted until the bitter end and it's habitat was limited compared to Edmontosaurus.
Back to top Go down
Oliphaunt
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Oliphaunt

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 6:31 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Oliphaunt wrote:

From what I've seen and read, only Hypacrosaurus was the one to have lasted until the bitter end and it's habitat was limited compared to Edmontosaurus.

Hypacrosaurus : xx-67 ma
-two species of Lambeosaurinae indet. (Hell Creek-Ojo Alamo formations),
-Charonosaurus : xx-66 ma
-Sahaliyania : xx-66 ma
-Arenysaurus : xx-66 ma
-Blasisaurus : xx-66 ma
-Canardia : xx-66 ma
-Olorotitan : xx-66 ma
-Amurosaurus : xx-66 ma

So there are at least 8 species of lambeosaurines that survived until the K-Pg (source: Wikipedia).

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 6:43 pm

Oliphaunt wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
Oliphaunt wrote:

Hypacrosaurus : xx-67 ma
-two species of Lambeosaurinae indet. (Hell Creek-Ojo Alamo formations),
-Charonosaurus : xx-66 ma
-Sahaliyania : xx-66 ma
-Arenysaurus : xx-66 ma
-Blasisaurus : xx-66 ma
-Canardia : xx-66 ma
-Olorotitan : xx-66 ma
-Amurosaurus : xx-66 ma

So there are at least 8 species of lambeosaurines that survived until the K-Pg (source: Wikipedia).

Wow, I didn't know that many survived. I've heard of Hypacrosaurus, Charonosaurus, and Ororotitan, and the unidentified HC one, but not the others. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Paleoman
Hatchling
Hatchling
Paleoman

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 6:44 pm

Not to mention that it seems like they were doing better in Asia than in N.A. at the time (more on that will likely be forthcoming but that was talked about at International Convention on Vertebrate Morphology). It seems that even looking back further into the Cretaceous that there was always a disparity in the niche of lambeosaurines and saurolophines which can be seen as far back as the Dinosaur Park Formation.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 6:54 pm

Paleoman wrote:
Not to mention that it seems like they were doing better in Asia than in N.A. at the time (more on that will likely be forthcoming but that was talked about at International Convention on Vertebrate Morphology). It seems that even looking back further into the Cretaceous that there was always a disparity in the niche of lambeosaurines and saurolophines which can be seen as far back as the Dinosaur Park Formation.

What were those reasons? The climate and plant life in North America looks and seems reasonable enough to support a nice population of lambeosaurines to me.
Back to top Go down
Paleoman
Hatchling
Hatchling
Paleoman

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2016 7:40 pm

It itsn't fully understood, but there seems to be a trend (at least in the Dinosaur Park & time equivalent formations) that Albertosaurines, Lambeosaurines, and Centrosaurines being found further north than Tyranosaurines, Saurolophines, and Chasmosaurines being found further south.

As the Cretaceous moved on, the southward families moved northward, and the Lambeosaurines became more rare, with the Albertosaurines going extinct and the Centrosaurines being restricted to asia. This probably relates to ecological preferences, and climactic changes caused a loss in the preferred Northern habitat (perhaps in relation to the closing of the Western Interior Seaway but that is anecdotal at best).
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2016 5:25 pm

Paleoman wrote:
It itsn't fully understood, but there seems to be a trend (at least in the Dinosaur Park & time equivalent formations) that Albertosaurines, Lambeosaurines, and Centrosaurines being found further north than Tyranosaurines, Saurolophines, and Chasmosaurines being found further south.

As the Cretaceous moved on, the southward families moved northward, and the Lambeosaurines became more rare, with the Albertosaurines going extinct and the Centrosaurines being restricted to asia. This probably relates to ecological preferences, and climactic changes caused a loss in the preferred Northern habitat (perhaps in relation to the closing of the Western Interior Seaway but that is anecdotal at best).

Is it possible that the Tyrannosaurines, Saurolophines, and the Chasmosaurines were better parents and had a higher reproductive rate then the Albertosaurines (provided that Nanotyrannus really is a juvenile T. rex and not an Albertosaurine), Lambeosaurines, and Centrosaurines?
Back to top Go down
Paleoman
Hatchling
Hatchling
Paleoman

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2016 2:11 am

It's possible but there isn't any evidence for it either way. It's more likely that changing environments are what allowed one group to survive over the other.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2016 6:03 pm

Why did the amount of nodosaur species dwindle as the Cretaceous went on and why was Edmotonia so common despite that? I read that nodosaurs had a more picky diet, but that doesn't explain why Edmontonia was so common and had such a wide range from as far south as New Mexico and probably Texas to as up North as Canada and maybe Alaska.

Back to top Go down
DorianGray
Embryo
Embryo
DorianGray

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2016 5:07 pm

Competition with Ankylosaurids maybe? From what i've seen they started to diversify at the end of the early cretaceous. Perhaps they managed to take advantage of a food source that they couldn't and were able to out-compete them for resources, or had better defenses to protect themselves and their young. If their clubs really were used for defense but idk if there's reliable data on that. As for why Edmontonia was so common, my best guess is that they evolved to share their environment with their competition, there seem to be other Nodosaurids and Ankylosaurs wherever they're found, so perhaps they were doing their own thing.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2016 6:21 pm

Could ankylosaurs and nodosaurs gallop in spite of their armor?

Back to top Go down
Oliphaunt
Compsognathus
Compsognathus
Oliphaunt

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2016 10:09 pm

Unlikely because they had very short, stubby legs and very long, wide, and (relatively) inflexible torsos.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2016 1:38 pm

Could Deinocheirus and Gigantoraptor use their hand claws for defense like the theriznosaurs did?

Back to top Go down
DorianGray
Embryo
Embryo
DorianGray

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2016 10:27 am

I've got no doubt that if they did have to fight, they'd probably use their claws to some degree, but as to how effective they'd be as weapons i don't know. In Deinocheirus's case i'd say it would use its body weight a bit a more and rely on intimidation. Most predators would be deterred by their sheer size. But most animals will try anything when it comes to a fight as long as they can do some damage.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ask a paleo question   Ask a paleo question - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ask a paleo question
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next