Jurassic Mainframe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it will be flawless...(est. 2016)

Jurassic Mainframe NewsHomeOur Discord ServerLatest imagesJurassic-PediaSearchRegisterLog in

Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread

Go down 
+7
Rhedosaurus
Sickle_Claw
TheDreamMaster
CT-1138
Mysterious Hero M
Dead2009
TorQue
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
TorQue
Embryo
Embryo
TorQue

Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread Empty
PostSubject: Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread   Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2016 2:20 pm

Here we can discuss about the upcoming Universal Monsterverse.
Back to top Go down
Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran
Sickle_Claw

PostSubject: Re: Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread   Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2016 3:58 pm

I wonder how through they will be in crossovers for this monster verse. I know Dr Jekyl is supposed to be in the Mummy so thats interesting

Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread   Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2016 9:49 pm

Wolfman Movie Reportedly Courting Dwayne Johnson

Quote :

Although the star’s casting is far from a done deal, Universal Pictures is reportedly looking at having Dwayne Johnson headline their upcoming Wolfman movie, planned to be part of the studio’s budding cinematic Monsterverse. Deadline has the news as they also report that Johnson has another project in the works at Sony Pictures. There, Johnson is set to executive produce the contemporary Kung Fu feature Son of Shaolin.

The Mummy, set for a June 9, 2017 release, is being directed by Alex Kurtzman and features a cast that includes Tom Cruise, Sofia Boutella, Annabelle Wallis, Jake Johnson and Courtney B. Vance. It will be followed by mystery Universal Monsters movies on  April 13, 2018 and February 15, 2019. Could one of those projects be the Wolfman movie? Only time will tell.

Prisoners scribe Aaron Guzikowski is penning the Wolfman movie while Fargo executive producer Noah Hawley is said to be writing another one of the films in the series. That project is potentially The Invisible Man which, according to recent reports, will star Johnny Depp in the title role.

All the films in the series will be produced and overseen by the creative team of Alex Kurtzman and Chris Morgan.

Back to top Go down
Mysterious Hero M
Hatchling
Hatchling

PostSubject: Re: Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread   Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2016 7:53 am

I like the Rock, I like the Wolf Man, I don't like the Rock as the Wolf Man.

Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread   Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread Icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2016 1:01 pm

Jon Spaihts Says ‘The Mummy’ Will Have “Power to Terrify”

Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread   Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread Icon_minitimeWed May 31, 2017 3:49 pm

Dwayne Johnson & Angelina Jolie Still Rumored for Dark Universe Roles
Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/853841-dwayne-johnson-angelina-jolie-still-rumored-for-dark-universe-roles#4VHD1jo8FDVLVB2R.99

Universal May Run into Legal Trouble With “Dark Universe” Name
http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3439889/universal-may-run-legal-trouble-dark-universe-name/

Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread   Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread Icon_minitimeWed May 31, 2017 5:55 pm

Dead2009 wrote:
Dwayne Johnson & Angelina Jolie Still Rumored for Dark Universe Roles
Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/853841-dwayne-johnson-angelina-jolie-still-rumored-for-dark-universe-roles#4VHD1jo8FDVLVB2R.99

/

While I can buy Jolie as a good casting for the Bride of Frankenstein, especially since she actually does resemble Elsa Lanchester to a certain degree, I do not buy Dwayne Johnson as the Wolf Man, especially since this is a role that requires multi-layered performance, being able to sell both the man and the monster sides. The Rock is a very niche actor, in that he is hugely charismatic and humorous but I've yet to see him do brooding and sinister, and I'm not sure if those are in his wheelhouse.

Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread Dinosa12
Back to top Go down
Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran
Sickle_Claw

PostSubject: Re: Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread   Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread Icon_minitimeWed May 31, 2017 9:08 pm

Well Jolie is about Javier Bardems age so I think she could do good for the bride of frankenstein

Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread   Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread Icon_minitimeWed May 31, 2017 11:19 pm

I have my doubts about Universal's Monsterverse. Dracula Untold was supposed to start it, but that got cut out the way 2011's Green Lanturn was supposed to start the DCMU, only for it to get cut out. The 2017 version of The Mummy, looks interesting, but I can't help but wonder if mummy movies have got old now. The reason why the Mummy movies made by Universal in the 1930's-1950's did so well was because of how Egypt was the hot thing in the world at that time. That and the Branden Frasier movies are still fairly fresh in people's minds. That and having them being used as moving targets for Lara Croft in all those Tomb Raider games doesn't help. The recent Wolfman movie was not well received.

I just think that this Monsterverse is just too constrained by the time periods that the original movies came out to work.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

If you're concerned about where this franchise is headed, then please join us.
Back to top Go down
Dead2009
Administrator
Administrator
Dead2009

PostSubject: Re: Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread   Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread Icon_minitimeMon Jun 05, 2017 9:20 pm

Dracula, Phantom and Hunchback Reboots Planned for “Dark Universe”
http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3440474/dracula-phantom-hunchback-reboots-planned-dark-universe/

Back to top Go down
Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran
Sickle_Claw

PostSubject: Re: Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread   Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread Icon_minitimeTue Jun 06, 2017 12:21 am

Dead2009 wrote:
Dracula, Phantom and Hunchback Reboots Planned for “Dark Universe”
http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3440474/dracula-phantom-hunchback-reboots-planned-dark-universe/

Really unsure of how they are going to do this. For one, Hunchback has always been tied into his time period. Secondly, Hunchback never was considered a 'monster' so they might have to get real creative. Also Phantom has been considered a 'universal monster' but doesnt really have any powers or supernatural origin either...I could see the Phantom showing up later, probably as part of the monster organization, same with the Hunchback because I don't know.

Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread   Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread Icon_minitimeWed Jun 07, 2017 3:57 pm

Here's one of the reviews for The Mummy reboot.

I've seen other reviews that while not as harsh as this one, are still fairly negative.

If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree. Michael Crichton

Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread   Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread Icon_minitimeWed Jun 07, 2017 4:25 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:

I've seen other reviews that while not as harsh as this one, are still fairly negative.

I saw one call it the worst Tom cruise film ever.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread   Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread Icon_minitimeWed Jun 07, 2017 4:37 pm

Troyal1 wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

I saw one call it the worst Tom cruise film ever.

That may be the same one as the one that I linked to.

EDIT: The domestic box office projections have went down to $40 million to $35 million. It's going to lose to Wonder Woman by a considerable margin.

http://screenrant.com/mummy-reboot-box-office-opening/?utm_source=SR-FB-P&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_campaign=SR-FB-P&view=lista

Back to top Go down
CT-1138
Jurassic Mainframe News Team
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread   Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread Icon_minitimeWed Jun 07, 2017 5:13 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:

Just saw this, too.

http://abekowalski.deviantart.com/
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread   Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread Icon_minitimeWed Jun 07, 2017 5:17 pm

So if this fails it's pretty much time to pull a Dracula untold and start again right? Or will they give up?
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread   Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread Icon_minitimeWed Jun 07, 2017 5:27 pm

Troyal1 wrote:
So if this fails it's pretty much time to pull a Dracula untold and start again right? Or will they give up?

They may have to give up. A studio can't start again twice. Fox tried that with the Fantastic 4...and we all know what happened after the second time back in 2015.

Back to top Go down
Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran
Sickle_Claw

PostSubject: Re: Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread   Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread Icon_minitimeWed Jun 07, 2017 7:40 pm

yeah, I don't know...I don't see them proceeding after this failure, but who knows.

Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread   Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread Icon_minitimeWed Jun 07, 2017 8:08 pm

Be sure you guys tell me how the film is if you go see it. I was planing to see it tomorrow but I got sick. 

I know @Rhedosaurus is just dying to see it :p
Back to top Go down
CT-1138
CT-1138

PostSubject: Re: Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread   Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread Icon_minitimeThu Jun 08, 2017 11:09 pm

BBC: The Mummy is 'barely a film at all' Ouch.

http://abekowalski.deviantart.com/
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread   Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread Icon_minitimeFri Jun 09, 2017 8:15 pm

Rhedo's favourite spin-free movie new channel (as well as mine) tackle a Universal franchise!

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread   Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread Icon_minitimeFri Jun 09, 2017 10:39 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:
Rhedo's favourite spin-free movie new channel (as well as mine) tackle a Universal franchise!

I just saw this video. I guess it's safe to say that it looks like the DCMU all over again. The main difference is that while WB HAD to make a DC superhero universe in order serve as competition for Disney/Marvel, Universal could have taken all that money and put it towards the Jurassic Park franchise after Jurassic World had been a major hit. But instead, they did...this. Two bad misfires in a row and unlike Man Of Steel, which you could argue was at least 50/50, both attempts for Universal's Monsterverse have an overwhelming majority not liking it.

If this does down in flames for good, and if Universal is unable to buy back the JP rights after the 6th JP movie, then they are in big trouble.

Back to top Go down
Troyal1
Veteran
Veteran
Troyal1

PostSubject: Re: Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread   Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread Icon_minitimeFri Jun 09, 2017 11:00 pm

BarrytheOnyx wrote:

Such a great channel. They are supposedly doing a video on the closure of IMDB message boards in the future. Or atleast that's what the uploader keeps telling me when I ask him.

But yeah great stuff. He always lays out the history of production so well.
Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread   Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread Icon_minitimeFri Jun 09, 2017 11:25 pm

Troyal1 wrote:
BarrytheOnyx wrote:

Such a great channel. They are supposedly doing a video on the closure of IMDB message boards in the future. Or atleast that's what the uploader keeps telling me when I ask him.

But yeah great stuff. He always lays out the history of production so well.

Are you part of their Facebook page as well. If not, then join ASAP. Me and Barry are part of it as well.

Back to top Go down
BarrytheOnyx
Veteran
Veteran
BarrytheOnyx

PostSubject: Re: Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread   Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread Icon_minitimeSat Jun 10, 2017 5:30 am

Rhedosaurus wrote:

I just saw this video. I guess it's safe to say that it looks like the DCMU all over again. The main difference is that while WB HAD to make a DC superhero universe in order serve as competition for Disney/Marvel, Universal could have taken all that money and put it towards the Jurassic Park franchise after Jurassic World had been a major hit. But instead, they did...this. Two bad misfires in a row and unlike Man Of Steel, which you could argue was at least 50/50, both attempts for Universal's Monsterverse have an overwhelming majority not liking it.

If this does down in flames for good, and if Universal is unable to buy back the JP rights after the 6th JP movie, then they are in big trouble.

At least with the DC Movie Universe, there was enough goodwill built from people who genuinely liked Man of Steel for Warner Bros to keep going, and earned nearly $670 Million worldwide, a considerable improvement over Superman Returns. Batman v Superman (Theatrical Cut) and Suicide Squad (both cuts) were painful setbacks, but the interest for Wonder Woman had at least increased in the intervening years, and Ben Affleck's Batman was one of the most praised aspects of that film.

The debate over the quality of Zack Snyder's two DC films and the videos and essays on both sides of the debate kept them from being forgotten about. Naturally, none of the Universal Monsters had that going for them before or after release. Ultimately, I at least get the sense that Warner Bros are trying to better themselves and better their DC movie output and now they have a movie that's a real game changer for the genre, while Universal just went through a checklist of "cinematic universe" requirements and went through it with all the mechanical grace of an assembly line.

Back to top Go down
Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran
Sickle_Claw

PostSubject: Re: Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread   Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread Icon_minitimeSat Jun 10, 2017 1:34 pm

Im not sure how they can continue, with how badly this movie was received. What I heard about the end and about the Prodigium organization makes me worry they might try to make the movie a bit avenger lite. I mean have main monster villains but also have an army of 'good' monsters to fight them.

Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread   Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread Icon_minitimeSat Jun 10, 2017 8:17 pm

Sickle_Claw wrote:
Im not sure how they can continue, with how badly this movie was received. What I heard about the end and about the Prodigium organization makes me worry they might try to make the movie a bit avenger lite. I mean have main monster villains but also have an army of 'good' monsters to fight them.

That wouldn't work at all. No. And even if the international market gives this movie a profit, it still wouldn't be able to guarantee a sequel. The Last Airbender, Battleship, Dracula Untold-which was originally supposed to start this in the first place-, Warcraft, etc. All made a profit thanks to international markets, yet none of them got a sequel.

Back to top Go down
Rhedosaurus
Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread   Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread Icon_minitimeSun Jun 11, 2017 4:18 pm

The Mummy made $142 million internationally, but made slightly over $32 million here in the United States.

Back to top Go down
Sickle_Claw
Veteran
Veteran
Sickle_Claw

PostSubject: Re: Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread   Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread Icon_minitimeSun Jun 11, 2017 4:37 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Sickle_Claw wrote:

That wouldn't work at all. No. And even if the international market gives this movie a profit, it still wouldn't be able to guarantee a sequel. The Last Airbender, Battleship, Dracula Untold-which was originally supposed to start this in the first place-, Warcraft, etc. All made a profit thanks to international markets, yet none of them got a sequel.

Im just saying according to what happens in the end.

Spoiler:

Veteran
Veteran
Rhedosaurus

PostSubject: Re: Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread   Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread Icon_minitimeSun Jun 11, 2017 4:53 pm

Sickle_Claw wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
Sickle_Claw wrote:

Im just saying according to what happens in the end.

Spoiler:

But how many movies can Universal make until they lose money? Not only that, but unlike superhero movies, which have heroes/heroines that are timeless, most of these old monsters are very much products of the 1930's and 1940's. and we might as well throw in Halloween too. I heard that Bride Of Frankenstein is starting to get made, if it does, then the law of diminishing returns is not in it's favor.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread   Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Universal's CLASSIC MONSTERS Thread
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next